PDA

View Full Version : ribbing question

Shannon
01-15-2005, 04:33 PM
When doing a ribbing on the wait band of baby pants what is the best, k1 p1 or k2 p2. Thank you.

Marnie
01-15-2005, 05:14 PM
There isn't a "best" ribbing. Part of that will depend on the yarn you are using. In general, the great the number of stitches in the ribbing (2x2, 3x3, 4x4 etc..) the more stretch between the relaxed and stretched version of the fabric. If you want a lot of play, I would choose 2x2 ribbing. If you want something firmer with less play, 1x1 may be better. You might also benefit from carrying along some elastic thread to give additional hold.

amy
01-15-2005, 09:52 PM
Elizabeth Zimmerman said that k2p2 has the most elasticity--that it pulls in the most of any other combination.

Amy

Marnie
01-16-2005, 02:42 PM
That kind of surprises me. Jacqueline Fee (Sweater Workshop) says you get more elasticity from combos like K3P3 or K4P4 on up.

In the end, I think your best bet is to swatch and see how you fabric responds. If the fabric is a cotton or man made fiber, it may just bag and sag no matter what stitch you use. You could consider doing a draw string channel as well or instert waistband elastic if you don't see that you are getting the effect you want.