PDA

View Full Version : bobbles

Susan
01-20-2005, 11:31 AM
Hi! I've a new knitter (six months). A pattern that I have requires "bobbles". I am unclear with the instructions.... Any help you can provide is appreciated!

Susan

Marnie
01-20-2005, 12:29 PM
Bobbles can be worked in several different ways and there is usually a breakdown of the method prescribed by that pattern.

As a general rule you are simply knitting 3 or so stitches by themselves in the middle of a row, for a couple of rows and then going back to your normal knitting.

If you write out the exact bobble directions you were given, one of us can walk you through the process.

~m

Susan
01-20-2005, 12:36 PM
Marie - here are the instructions... any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!!!

MB = (K1, P1) 3 times into next st, turn sL1P, P5 turn, SL1K, K5, turn, (P2tog) 3 times, turn, Sl1K, K2tog, psso.

The pattern is from Jaeger, and it is a scarf....

thanks again, Susan

Marnie
01-20-2005, 02:07 PM
MB = (K1, P1) 3 times into next st, turn sL1P, P5 turn, SL1K, K5, turn, (P2tog) 3 times, turn, Sl1K, K2tog, psso.

Well, once you understand what is happening it's pretty straight forward.

(K1, P1) 3 times into next st
This is telling you to increase 1 stitch into 6 stitches by working a k,p,k,p,k,p into a single stitch.

turn sL1P, P5
Turn your work. You are now working only these 6 stitches until the bobble is completed.
Slip the first stitch as if to purl it (to produce a nice clean edge) then P the remaining 5 stitches of your bobble.

turn, SL1K, K5,
Turn your work, slip the first stitch as if to knit it, then knit the remaining 5 stitches of your bobble.

turn, (P2tog) 3 times,
Turn your work and P2tog across the row to go from 6 stitches to 3 stitches.

turn, Sl1K, K2tog, psso.
Turn your work one last time. The right side is now facing you, slip the first stitch, knit 2 together and pass the slipped stitch over that k2tog. This gets you back to 1 stitch and you can finish the row you are working on.

Susan
01-20-2005, 02:22 PM
Wow!

Thank you for the very clear instructions. I appreciate your time and help...

:) Susan