PDA

View Full Version : Elongated Stitch Scarf --fast!

amy
01-30-2005, 04:05 PM
Here's a simple and fun scarf project. I made up this pattern, based on a scarf I saw in a store.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/images/forum-posts/elongated-st-scarf-edited.jpg

Materials: Size 11 needles. Dazzle, or other novelty yarn.

Directions:
Cut off and set aside 14 yards of yarn for fringe. CO 14 stitches. Knit 6 rows. *Work 1 row of elongated stitch. Knit 6 rows. Repeat from * until you've run out of yarn to do another set. Bind off. Cut fringe yarn into 18" pieces, and attach 14 strands (doubled up) to each end of scarf.

Elongated stitch (aka Drop Stitch): insert needle as if to knit. Wrap yarn 4 times around needle. Pull all wraps through stitch. On next round, knit just the front loop, letting wraps fall off of needle.

I have two videos that you can watch, if you want help with making this scarf...
1) A video which shows how to do elongated stitch, how to add fringe, and samples of similar scarves. Click here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/videos/misc/elongated-stitch-scarf.mpg) to watch.
2) A short video on just how to do elongated stitch. Click here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/videos/stitches/elongated-stitch.mpg) to watch.

Amy

foldedbird
02-02-2005, 02:34 AM
Oh, I love this pattern Amy! It looks so easy. I'm going to go try this right now with some yarn that was originally for a bag! hehehe.

knitE
02-03-2005, 10:42 PM
I knitted a scarf for my mother using elongated stitch, and Moonlight Mohair yarn (Lion Brand?). Family, friends and complete strangers have admired it!

Thanks, Amy, for the idea!

yellowness
02-04-2005, 09:36 AM
Ah ha! I have this beautiful fuzzy mohair/acrylic yarn that I've been wating to use until I figured out what to do with it :)

Eleanor
02-06-2005, 06:51 AM
[b] Dear Amy: I just joined your group and I'm really amazed! A girl named Denise had told me about it, and I just got it at Knitter's Review. It's a beautiful site! And very informative, and I love the videos! You do a great service to knitters! I've been knitting for years and love learning new stitches. I've been making scarves and only wish I had seen this one sooner. I now will make my next scarf using the elongated stitch! Thanks Amy! :)

amy
02-10-2005, 09:46 PM
If any of you make the scarf, be sure to post pictures!

I think it would also look good as one of those really narrow scarves, you know, about 8 stitches wide or something.

Welcome Eleanor! :) Thanks for the nice words! :)

Amy

foldedbird
02-11-2005, 03:17 AM
Amy, I'm throwing some elongated stitches into a scarf I'm making for my daughter...thanks for the video. And it's reallllly skinny. Barely 3 inches wide! I'll be sure to post a pic when I'm done.

yellowness
02-21-2005, 03:09 PM
So, I finished the scarf with the fuzzy yarn... Here's a detail shot. A larger shot apears in the Finished Projects thread I started under the General page.

It makes me happy and I wear it around the house even when it's warm, much to the BFs amusement. It's been too rainy to take outside.

Jivewhistle
02-21-2005, 04:47 PM
I really love that scarf Yellowness! I'm going to try and make this scarf soon, as soon as I go get some yarn for it anyways. I have yet to make one thing......LOL.

peev
02-25-2005, 02:34 PM
I love this scarf. I've just watched the video and it looks so simple (even to a beginner knitter like myself). I fancy making a super skinny scarf in a darkish colour for work wear - or maybe even as a kind of belt. Hmmmmm..... :idea:

amy
02-25-2005, 05:59 PM
Oooh, Yellowness, that's a great yarn for the pattern! LOVE it!

Amy

Blue
03-20-2005, 06:57 PM
Wow, brilliant design and that elongated stitch is so easy thanks to the video - put it this way, I learnt to knit only 5 days ago and already I can do it quite happily, there's an eyelash yarn scarf in my near future for sure, can't wait to get started! :)

kitkat
03-24-2005, 02:01 PM
I am seeing a ball of that Patons Divine yarn in my future using this pattern.....

Merry Stitcher
04-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Here's my contribution to the Elongated Scarf Club.
It's made out of Plymouth Yarn's "Eros Extreme" -- very ribbony -- and it's only 8 stitches wide. It's lightweight, perfect for Spring!

Thanks for introducing me to this fun, fast pattern!

Mary

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/192/2816/320/elongated%20scarf.jpg

foldedbird
04-11-2005, 02:26 AM
Mary, your image doesn't appear to be working! :( :(

KellyK
04-11-2005, 03:30 AM
I can see it... :shock:

beldaraan
04-11-2005, 12:53 PM
I can't see it either.... :(

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-11-2005, 10:34 PM
i can!!!!

just kidding.... :rollseyes:

foldedbird
04-11-2005, 10:55 PM
LOL

SimplyKaar
04-12-2005, 04:56 AM
I can see it: but not in the post. I right clicked on the red cross, copied the address where the picture is and then pasted that url directly in my browser.
It shows that way :)

good job on making it!!!

Merry Stitcher
04-13-2005, 11:06 AM
OMG! Didn't mean to cause quite so much trouble. The image was linked to my blog, which is on blogger, which is quite unreliable these days. Sorry!

Plus, I now see that posting attachments is a much preferred method. So, here goes.

Mary
www.merrystitcher.blogspot.com

schrodinger
09-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Hello there,
First of all I have to say thanks to Amy for such an amazing site, I've watched it change over the last (nearly a) year that I have been using it. I think it's fantastic, it helped me pick up knitting again (last time I had knitted I believe I was 9 or 10) I must have started knitting just as this site came into being, I love that I have grown with it. I also love this elongated pattern and when I got this gorgeous ladder yarn called 'stained glass' I HAD to try it I adapted the pattern a little and here is a link to the blog with a picture of the first scarf.

http://schrodinger212.blogspot.com/2005/08/my-stained-glass-scarf.html

After that there was no stopping me, what about my mother? What about my mother in law? I'm pretty sure that when the weather cools and I can finally wear mine (the first) out I will have many requests and compliments. Here is the other blogger link to a few of them together:

http://schrodinger212.blogspot.com/2005/09/stained-glass-scarves-set.html

Thanks Amy!

ekgheiy
09-14-2005, 12:30 PM
Hello there, First of all I have to say thanks to Amy for such an amazing [...] Nice job Schrodinger!! :thumbsup: That IS a pretty yarn!! :drool:

amy
09-14-2005, 01:24 PM
Wow, Schrodinger, I think that yarn steals the show for this patter!! :inlove: Good call! :thumbsup:

schrodinger
09-14-2005, 01:43 PM
I appreciate your comments, thanks.

It would be hard not to LOVE this yarn, and it looks even better in real life!

Cathy

moonsingingfreak
09-19-2005, 10:42 PM
Oh gosh that is just about the prettiest scarf I've ever seen! Love the colour!

GlenBoRTR
09-20-2005, 02:38 PM
I have adumb question... (go figure)
What's the difference between "wrapping the yarn around the needle before you finish the stitch" to create the elongated stitch & doing "4 yo's in between the stitches"????

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

lisa e
09-21-2005, 03:00 AM
Nice! Now I know what pattern I am going to use for that cheap mohair looking stuff I got at Target!!

kitkat
09-22-2005, 10:54 PM
I did a skinny one in a funky yarn and one in Divine...unfortunately forgot to take a picture of the one in Divine, but it was INDEED divine, so much so that I bought another ball to make another one!!!!

schrodinger
10-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Hey GlenBoRTR, so sorry I didn't respond to you earlier, your ques had me puzzled for a bit there (I didn't think it was a stupid question at all). I decided to try the elongated stitch vs the yo technique. I could barely tell the difference in end product, except that the elongated stitch seems a little tighter. On a personal level, I prefer the yo technique which I learned when I dabbled in lace knitting, it works better for me with the fine ladder yarn I was using, the elongated way would be better for a thicker/regular yarn. I'm quite sure that the elongated is the 'proper' way to do the knitting. Anyone else have other suggestions about the differences?
:thinking:

KitKat, your funky/divine scarf looks cool and your son seems to be a riot!

earthchick
10-24-2005, 04:05 PM
schrodinger: I am trying this pattern using the same yarn you used (b/c it looks so darn gorgeous in your pic!). But I am having trouble working with the yarn. Any tips? What kind of needles did you use? A friend suggested I combine it with another yarn but I really liked the looks of it just by itself....

schrodinger
10-24-2005, 06:46 PM
Earthchick,

I used regular needles (well, my Denise needles), I have varied with sizes (I've made about 5 of these scarves so far), but generally a size 7 or eight will do you. Just remember you can't knit as you would with a 'normal' yarn/wool, I take my time and watch the stitches. Press on and you will get the hang of it I'm sure.

Cathy

earthchick
10-25-2005, 07:45 AM
Thanks Cathy. I was trying to work with size 11 Addi Turbos but they seemed a bit slick for the yarn. I think I will try a smaller needle and see how bamboo does for me.

Thank you! :thumbsup:

Knitwise
10-25-2005, 05:28 PM
I love this pattern! I went and got me some Moonlight Mohair just to make this and I'm workin' on it now :D

SimplyKaar
11-03-2005, 03:08 PM
I love the ones with the glass stained yarn! I'll have to see if I can find that sort of yarn around here and knit those up for my sisters-in-law... we did the whole christmas gift discussion last week and both of them (although they think it's oldfashioned that I knit!!) jokingly said they sortof were expecting knitted socks or a cellphone pouch under the tree...
I do think I'd like to give them something knitted that won't take too much time to whip up but still looks really nice. I think they will both love this to go with a dressy outfit or something.

Hopefully I can find the yarn here :pray:

kimmie
11-03-2005, 04:20 PM
Earthchick,
If it makes you feel any better, the same thing happened to me. I bought the stained glass yarn & even though I've been knitting for a long, long time, it was a disaster. I put it away for several weeks and tried again and it worked out fine then. I don't know what was different. I just had to go slowly and pay close attention to what I was doing. It's tricky yarn. The end result is so worth it though.
kimmie

schrodinger
11-03-2005, 06:13 PM

SimplyKaar, I believe that the the site that sold the Stained glass yarn ships internationally.

Earthchick, Kimmie's right, this yarn is not for 'fast' knitting, patience is absolute key, it helps that I'm a relatively new knitter so I can still be pretty slow. I'm pretty sure that the bamboo needles will have helped with the project (did it? did it?).

SimplyKaar
11-03-2005, 06:33 PM

SimplyKaar, I believe that the the site that sold the Stained glass yarn ships internationally.

I just had a look and you're right, they do ship internationally; however it will cost me a bit more than 10 dollars extra just for shipping and handling when I buy 2 or 3 skeins of it and it will probably take a while before it gets here.
So I will have a look at a yarnstore here and one in a larger city near here first to see if I can find it, or something similar. I can always order it anyway if it turns out it's not sold down here but because of the time and extra costs I think it's worth checking out my local stores first.
Thanks for the heads up though! At least now I know I can get it there and I will definitely keep that in mind... A backup option is great because I hate to have to settle for something that just isn't what I meant but have to use because I can't get anything better, you know? :)

Lyla
11-04-2005, 04:36 PM
I love this pattern. I'm dying to try it but I have to finish my current scarf first.

All of the scarves in this thread are gorgeous! Good job!

amy
11-04-2005, 10:11 PM
GlenBoRTR, doing the yo's between sts. wouldn't be practical. You can do it: on the next row you'd slip them off the needle and go straight into working the next knit stitch; but then you need to pull all that slack through into that knit stitch. Same results, really, but more work. You can't just work right into the yo's, because the adjacent knit sts. have to be dealt with; if they're skipped you'd have a run/dropped sts. If they're just knit, they will act like normal knitting and keep the row from stretching up to become elongated. ...At least, that's what my brain seems to make of it all! Haven't tried it!

Glad folks are having fun with this pattern!

kimmie
11-04-2005, 11:37 PM
I did the 4 yarn overs between knit stitches and it worked fine. I didn't realize there was another way to do it until I was all done and watched Amy's scarf video to learn how to do the fringe. I started a second scarf trying Amy's method and was so used to the first way that I went back to the way I originally did it because it was just easier for me. I'm a creature of habit! I didn't pull excess yarn through or anything... just let those stitches drop and knit the next stitch. The elongated stitch turns out a little bit longer if you wrap inbetween stitches, but I like it that way.

kimmie

earthchick
12-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Hi Kimmie and schrodinger - thanks for the encouragement! :thumbsup: I haven't yet tried with bamboo needles, have had too many other projects in the works. I had intended to make three of these scarves for coworkers for Christmas but realized they were going to take more time than I had anticipated. So for now I'm setting them aside till after Christmas. Thanks for the help, though! Will check back in once I've gotten back to working on them....

SACNITE
12-08-2005, 01:50 PM
Hello AMy!!!

I love you idea!!! :heart:

the second video is no longer available... :(

could you please tell me how can i get it ?? :??

Thank you in advance. :thumbsup:

sac :XX:

AnnieWag
01-15-2006, 04:07 PM
I am new to your site and just saw your scarf. I made 25 of this pattern last year for gifts. I have made them with all types and combination of yarns. Love the plain yarn and fun fur, knit together as one, they are cool. My daughter gave 15 of them away to her classmates for Christmas, they loved them too!! I didn't put fringe on the ends of the fun fur ones though. It also is very pretty in Moonlight Mohair. Looking forward to visiting your site daily.

EssenceRose
06-23-2006, 11:33 PM
I just discovered this thread!! I can't wait to try this scarf!! I think I might make it as a gift for my mother. Her birthday is coming up in July. :)

Thanks for the how to video!!

smeeks
08-22-2006, 03:58 PM
Hi Amy

I just wanted to say thank you so very very much for posting this pattern!!
I just finished my scarf and I can't wait to make some more of the same. I think they'd be great gifts, just like AnnieWag said!

I used a hand dyed yarn for my scarf by Fleece Artist called Rapunzel.
(56% Kid Mohair, 24% Silk, 20% Wool).

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/ninguls/IMG_0014.jpg

thank you for all your hard work in keeping this site going - it is very appreciated!!!
:cheering:

blueairy
10-14-2006, 01:27 PM
hi, im new to the site and first of all i must say thank you sooooo much for taking the time for it... turns out i got a lot of time on my hands lately and im using it by knitting my butt off... i havent done it in a while so you could say im a beginner at it.. anyhow, i saw this pattern the first time i came and i had to do it.. im half way through my scarve, so i'll try to post a pic when its done..
again, thank you so much for the videos and the heart you put in your work!
see ya around..
Abi

newbieknitter
10-15-2006, 12:29 PM
Does anyone know who the Dazzle yarn is made by, that was used for the scarf in the original post of this thread? Thanks

sylvia
10-17-2006, 08:00 AM
hi
beautiful scarf my next scarf glad i found you all
sylvia

schrodinger
10-17-2006, 08:10 AM
newbieknitter:
The Dazzle yarn is made by Knitting fever. You can find out about many yarns on yarndex.com. Here is the link for info on Dazzle (http://www.yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=2298). If you're trying to find it to buy, one of the best things to do is google "dazzle yarn".

Hope that helps.

newbieknitter
10-17-2006, 07:59 PM
newbieknitter:
The Dazzle yarn is made by Knitting fever. You can find out about many yarns on yarndex.com. Here is the link for info on Dazzle (http://www.yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=2298). If you're trying to find it to buy, one of the best things to do is google "dazzle yarn".

Hope that helps.

Actually, google typically being my first line of defense, I had already done so and found some Dazzle yarn. But what I found, didn't look like what was used in the scarf pictured, so I thought maybe it was something different than what was being found by google search. Perhaps it was done in another yarn and Dazzle just happened to be the one mentioned in the instructions??

annettiie
12-06-2006, 02:17 AM
Dear Amy,

You and your website have helped me so much with my various projects! I love it!

Here's my scarf (I used Patons Mosaic)

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b261/annettiie/scarf1.jpg

World AIDS Day! Dec. 1

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b261/annettiie/scarf2.jpg

closeup

:] annette :happydance:

miranda
12-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Hello all.
How about using the pattern on a vest? This could really be lovely. I think I will try. Because with the enllongated stitch, you have the shirt shine through...
:eyebrow:
Let's see if I can get hold of nice yarn and the ability to do enlongated stitch... :oops:

Best wishes!
miranda

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Annette--looks GREAT!!!!

Miranda--that's a fabulous idea! Let us know what you come up with!

Compulsive
12-07-2006, 02:39 PM
I casted on for this scarf while sitting at dd's dance practice last night with some $1.00 a skein clereance Wal-Mart yarn I picked up last year. All the other moms were oohhing and ahhhing over how pretty the scarf was turning out.

THIS PATTERN does justice to even the cheapest yarn. The scarf looks so rich and elegant--like it cost ooodles of dollars.

Thanks, Amy, and everyone else who posted pictures.

wannanitit
01-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Does someone know which Dazzle yarn Amy used in her video. I have been searching for the past two days without success. Thank you.

wannanitit
01-27-2009, 07:27 PM
you rock

wannanitit
01-27-2009, 07:36 PM
sorry, I just looked at the elongated stitch yarn from the site and it doesn't look like a ribbon yarn. I went to the site, I don't believe it was from kniting fever.

wannanitit
01-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Hi newbie,
was this the same dazzle yarn?

Ijustwantacraft
04-14-2009, 11:08 PM
I have been working on this pattern over and over trying to solve this little problem of having the first stitch of elongated stitches come down with some kinda twisted knot in the first stitch all the others hang beautiful except the first one off the needle. I cast on 14, I knit 6 rows. I wrap as if 2 knit, in the same direction. I have watched the video and searched the net some person have the similar problem. I don't find a solution though.

gayatri
04-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Hi,

I'm having the same problem, i'm following the pattern shown in the video but keep getting this knotted end. What could i be doing wrong?

-G

sandillajoan
02-22-2011, 04:07 PM
I've made this scarf several times. Most recently I made one for my doctor. I used Moonlight Mohair in the Tundra (blacks/greys/silver) and the LB Incredible in the blacks/whites/greys. I saw her yesterday and she told me that people are stopping her in the market, work, home and telling her how beautiful it is. This particular combination of the Moonlight Mohair and the Incredible works extremely well together. I've also made the scarf using the Autum colors Incredible with the Moonlight Mohair in the browns/golds and it's gorgeous too. Now I'm gonna make one using the MM in the purples with the Autum Incredible - although they are entirely diff. they seem to look very nice together! I love love love this pattern -
I think I'm gonna try it w/some hand dyed banana yarn in diff. shades of purples/turquoises and also some recycled sari yarn - we'll see how they work o:cheering: ut!