PDA

View Full Version : Swatches

Norman
01-31-2005, 11:21 AM
Hello guys.. sorry I've been quiet :)

I think I got the knitt part of knitting down.. time to work on purl and such.. :)

Now.. my quesiton is, when you start a pattern and it tells you to make a swatch.. is the normal watch so may stiches or .. is it 4x4 inches.. or..

Does the pattern specify.. Just curious :) I'm tyring ot learn here. :)

Thanks
Dave

Yvonne
01-31-2005, 12:52 PM
Most patterns will specify how they want you to make the swatch. For instance, it will say such and such # of stitches and x number of rows (in stockinette stitch, or some pattern stitch specific to that pattern) is 4 x 4 inches.

Nuno930
01-31-2005, 01:35 PM
No help on that part... but I just wanted to say that I am from Pella :D

Norman
01-31-2005, 01:44 PM
No help on that part... but I just wanted to say that I am from Pella :D

You know, I've never been to pella.. for the festival.. I've drove through it.. it's a pretty good distance away :)

Anyway.. :) I appreciate the help.. I've decided to also takea cheap class around here to help a little.. That starts april 20th..

Kiri
01-31-2005, 03:10 PM
I've always knit the gauge description.
So when it says 18 stitches and 22 rows (for example) is 4" by 4".

The test is to make sure that yours is a 4 x 4 square, too.

If it's not, then your gauge is of and whatever you're making will end up a different size than the pattern.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-31-2005, 07:38 PM
sometimes it's best to knit your swatch bigger than the suggested size... for instance if it says 20 stitched and 20 rows = 4 inches, I will knit 25 stitches by 25 rows... that way the edges don't give you a funky measurement. After your larger swatch is done, just measure the stitches and rows you did (the 20 by 20) 0and see if it's really to gauge (in this case, 4 inches)

Norman
01-31-2005, 11:07 PM
Hello again ladies..
Thought I would post progress..

I did a swatch per a instruction, not on the correct needle, but just to see if I could do it.. I think my bind off stich (at the bottom) was incorrect.. but anyway.. here's what it look like :)

I think it came out rather okay.. the tension looks consistent..