PDA

View Full Version : What made you start knitting?

Nuno930
02-05-2005, 10:56 PM
For me, I am just crafty by nature and one day I decided I wanted to... so I went and picked up needles :D

What about you? Is it a family tradition? Did a friend teach you? Do share!

beldaraan
02-05-2005, 11:14 PM
Excellent question that I was thinking of posting myself actually :)

I'm somewhat crafty and have been since I was a kid. I've always wanted to knit, but thought it would be someday later. Well that someday turned out to be the beginning of January of this year. So, first off, it was always there in me, just waiting for the right time I guess.

My mom started knitting in October last year, on her birthday, and it is a wonderful hobby that has really transformed her. We're long distance, so I would call her every weekend, and she always talked about knitting. Thing was, that she would tell me about a knitting technique and I wouldn't get it, but I would feign comprehension.

Really, I do it because I've always wanted to, but I do it for my mom as well. It's something we have in common and I LOVE it so much.

I also have a good friend who has been knitting for 10 years and that brought on the urge as well. Coincidentally, I was just at her place tonight and the theme was KNITTING STUFF. I saw her stash (OMG - MEGA bins) of yarn, needles, books and finished projects. We talked about knitting LYS's and anything related to knitting. It was a wonderful experience. I was all over her like a preggy woman indulging on a craving.

I guess it was a combination of things that finally led me to the yarn aisle at Walmart. Timing, a desire to enrich myself with a new hobby, my mom, my friend, and my husband's support.

I can't wait to hear about other knitters' beginnings. Bring em on!!

brightspot
02-06-2005, 01:07 AM
I remember when I was little my grandma giving me a pair of needles and trying to teach me to knit. Impossible! I was always totally uncoordinated! When I was an adult I met a girl from Sweden that knitted continental. For some reason it was easier. I never really got into it though, until this year. I have crocheted for years (not very well, mostly granny squares), but it has started hurting my hands. Since I cannot sit still and watch TV without something for my hands to do I decided to try knitting again. I knit better after a year than I ever crocheted, and I love it! (I still use those needles.)

Jivewhistle
02-06-2005, 01:16 AM
There wasn't any family influence on my decision to start knitting. I needed some kind of hobby when I quit smoking. Something that could be cheap to start out with too. I LOVE scrapbooking, and my aunt teaches classes for it in MI, but the hobby is just too expensive for me right now. Plus, with knitting....it keeps both my hands busy, and my mind off smoking! I've been smoke free for 18 days now!!!!!!!

Recently, I did find out that my grandma crochets and I have an aunt who knits. That's kinda cool to know now. Too bad I don't live near any of them ...LOL.

Anne
02-06-2005, 01:54 AM
A new neighbor ask me where a LYS was in the area. After i told her i thought hummm wonder if i could knit.

I have been knitting since last Dec. Still making scarfs learning as i go along. K & P plus working on my tension.

One thing i like about knitting scarfs i can use a variation of yarns and ribbons together with the K or P stitch. Each scarf looks different when finished. Some i love others i have taken apart not liking the color or colors.

My Grandmother made quilts which i was not interested in making. My Mother did not sew period let alone knit.

For several years i Counted Cross-Stitched, however, the framing became to expensive.

I do enjoy reading about everyone's project. I envy those that knit sweaters.

Perhaps i can accomplish one before my eye sight goes. :lol:

Learning to knit at a young age is a very good idea... Happy knitting to all

Egeria
02-06-2005, 06:45 AM
I started knitting in college in 1997. It was the 'in thing' to do in the girls dorm. We'd all sit around and knit while watching t.v in one of the girl's room. I can't even remember who showed me how to knit, but I did knit a raglan sweater and loads of socks, scarfs, hats and mittens. When I left college the last thing I knit was a sweater for my dad. I won't go into it here but it was a disaster and I gave up knitting!

Until last year, when I was feeling crafty and I went to the LYS looking for a cross stitch kit. There I fell in love with a knitted cardigan on display (as a sampler) and a coupla weeks later went in and bought all the gear I needed to make it.

Amazing how my hands rememberd to cast on and knit, purl etc! I decided I was going to be better than I had been so I bought some books, and stumbled on this website and now voila! A happy knitter!

brightspot
02-06-2005, 04:48 PM
Jivewhistle, congradulations on the 18 smoke free days.
Anne, I had the same problem with cross stitch. I finally just started buying cheap frames from walmart and taking the glass out. Then I taped them to the cardboard that came with the frames. They look great.

Phretys
02-06-2005, 10:35 PM
My mom has always been crafty, and I inherited this tendency from her, and it seems my daughter has the crafty bug as well. :)

My knitting adventure began this past November 2004. I was in a needlework shop buying cross stitch supplies and as I was being rung up at the register my 9-year-old daughter slapped a skein of DK Domino Snuggly onto the counter. Her intention was to use it with her little spinner thingy, but I felt the yarn was too nice for that, bit the bullet and bought some needles later that same evening at my local Michaels.

jwardell
02-06-2005, 11:07 PM
My sister started knitting with a friend in NJ a few years ago (I am in OH). I always thought I'd try it eventually, but I wanted to give her some time as the "knitter" of the family. I am generally the hobbyinst of the family and have more time. (She has a career and I have Kids!!!) Last Oct. on a trip to NY, she taught me how to cast on, and the rest I have mostly learned from books and Amy's CD.

It has been sooo much fun! I have been mostly felting. I tell my hubby that I am on the "Low carb, Knitting diet". Knitting keeps me out of the kitchen!!!!!! I am starting a knitting group at my local library on Feb. 15 (anyone in NE Ohio?).

Jw

kitkat
02-06-2005, 11:47 PM
I have always been a quilter....but I needed something more portable for all the kids swim meets and stuff, and all those lovely yarns were really speaking to me, so I taught myself the basics. Amy's videos were a huge part of my success. Then, I have a family member who is very ill, and it has really been a therapy thing for me, a way of whiling away the hours sitting with him. I am definitely hooked!

ChroniclesofYarnia
02-07-2005, 12:11 AM
I crocheted off and on for a long time, and a few months ago got REALLY into it. I decided to try knitting again (which I had tried many times before with no success), and I finally "got it". It was kind of like playing guitar...just when you are about to give up you can change chords. :lol: I taught myself using this site and a copy of S&B.

I haven't crocheted except for fringe for a bit, which is a shame, so I may have to get a crochet project soon. I've been a knitting fiend since I started in November, and I want to try EVERYTHING!

amigarabita
02-07-2005, 10:12 AM
phrytes, your avatar is lovely!

i thought everyone started knitting with pregnancy. haha. i did. i became obsessed with natural fibers and couldn't find enough baby clothes and accesories that were attractive and functional AND 100% wool/cotton.

also, knitting is a better alternative to bar hopping. tee hee

KNITBIT
02-07-2005, 12:28 PM
(GONNA BE LONG...........................)

I always wanted to learn to knit. I can remember wanting to learn for a good 10 yrs. or so, but never attempted it. I thought it looked to complicated. Why try it? Looks too hard. :shock: I had tried crochet in the past and learned 1 basic stitch that my husbands grandmother showed me. She lives far away so I only got 1 lesson..not to mention she only speaks spanish and I don't speak spanish. She's right handed, I'm left. So there u go. LOL! I found out then that most books were geared more towards right handers, and the lil sections they had in books etc. said to hold 'em up to mirrors. :x Ughhhhh...Anyway, I made a small blanket from that 1 stitch I learned. Eventually got bored and that was it. That was about 4 yrs. ago or so.

Then by chance.......I was at Barnes n Noble looking for a Vegetarian Cookbook. (Recently became a vegetarian Sept. of last yr.) Anyway...I didn't see anything I like so I went to find my husband...he was looking at bks. with my kids. I was all sad because I couldn't find anything I liked. Then I was walking by this "bargain table" and lo' and behold staring at me was a book about learning to knit. So I was like Hmmm?? :idea: I went to the knitting bks. section and looked thru a million bks. Then got a bit overwhelmed. :? OMG..sooo many books. Ugh....was starting to get intimidated, but yet I was curious. I thought hmmmm....knitting is with 2 hands maybe that would be easier to learn then crocheting being i'm a lefty. Hmmmmm???

After feeling a bit intimidated with all the books on knitting I told my husband let's go to Michael's. Which was in the same shopping center. I thought they probably had just a basic lil book with instructions. So off we went. I got a few lil thin books on knitting there, needles, yarn and I was set. This was this past Dec.

I'm now currently working on a scarf and a poncho. :wink:

I guess as people say, "the rest is H I S T O R Y!" :D

KNITBIT :)

ladyindica2000
02-07-2005, 02:12 PM
I started because my sister begged me to take a crochet class with her, but the more I searched out patterns, the more I found that I wanted to be able to do the ones that were knitted. So, I taught myself. I am going to my first knitting class tonight and am so excited. I am the only person in my family that knits and have taken a lot of good natured ribbing about it because I am not an 80 year old woman like the stereo-type dictates, LOL. I love to knit and am so addicted. I just wish I was faster.

Trish

feministmama
02-07-2005, 02:23 PM
I posted this before but I'll post it again:

I associate Knitting with Feminism because knitting was part of my first feminist act. In 1990 I was working in a bookstore that operated in a discount warehouse style. It was originally a supplier to schools and libraries that needed books by the pallet full so the books were shelved by publisher and then title because that’s the way books come from the publisher. When they arrived in the store, we’d just rip the top off and put stacks of them out on the floor. School librarians would come by and scoop them up by the handful.
By the 80’s word had spread about this funky place to buy books at twenty percent off, but shopping by publisher was confusing to some. So the store stared making subject shelves, with everything from car repair to antiques. Some of the women I worked with got together and started reading feminist text and women who came into the store looking for this genre were passed on to us. We had to show these women around to different shelves throughout the store because there was no women’s studies shelf. After a while we started questioning this practice and asked the management for a women’s studies shelf. They adamantly refused saying it wasn’t necessary. If women had to search all over the store (which was as big as Powell’s) then that was their problem.
The like minded feminist women at the store would gather on weekend afternoons, sipping tea, eating yummy treats and eventually knitting. Most of us were younger, feistier and ready for violence if our demands were not met. But Melinda, much older than us with a son our own age, was always knitting and her work was proudly displayed on him while he worked in the shipping area. We all became interested in her knitting, which seemed to foster her focus, concentration and deep thought at these meetings. So we wanted to learn this skill too.
We started to bring our needles into the store with us and ask her to show us some complicated stitch or configuration but one or two of the managers would come up to us and tell us not to knit in the store. The manager of the store had forbidden us to “talk shop” on company time, even though he and the fellas argued about baseball scores all through the day. “Put that away, you’re taking up valuable work time,” they would scoff at us. We saw red but kept up our knitting sessions, deferring to Melinda and her calm wisdom of working toward a resolution. Her lesson in restraint paid off. We developed a plan: We would go to the management as a group. They could refuse each of us individually but not standing together as a group. And of course it worked. We got our shelf.
I have been knitting and plotting revolution ever since.

oshnpashn
02-07-2005, 02:34 PM
Well, I too am a crafty woman. I've always done something. My grandmother taught me how to knit when I was a kid, but I drifted more to crocheting. Over the years I've also done needlepoint, cross-stitch, scrapbooking, a bit of sewing. On vacations, we tend to shop for souveniers at thrift stores and I started picking up wonderful yarns to make an afghan. Also started getting knitting needles. Last summer I was on vacation visiting friends in colorado and she and I ended up at the local craft store. We bought a book and now I can't stop. My knitting bag goes everywhere with me, which is why I love knitting, it's a take-a-long, it keeps me relaxed and I get to be creative everyday!!

knittergirl
02-07-2005, 06:54 PM
My uncle and his family were stationed in Germany when I was little. One Christmas, they got to come back home for a couple of weeks and we all stayed at my grandparents' house. One morning my aunt (who didn't have any daughters) called me over to the couch and handed me a crochet hook and some yarn and taught me to crochet. I was about 7 or 8, I think.

Well, of course, she had to go back home and I had so many questions that I just put it aside. I could do a basic chain, but that was all.

Then when I was 13, my other grandpa was diagnosed with lung cancer and we were living with him and grandma. Before he became really sick, he began trying to teach my mom to crochet and showed me the things I needed to know (single, double, turning....).

So I became proficient enough to turn out little pieces here and there and crocheted off and on for years. But I broke my arm when I was little and it caused me to have limited rotation in my wrist, so it was hard for me to crochet for long periods of time without my wrist beginning to hurt.

So I found myself working for the local police department as a clerk in the Arrest & Booking section and part of my job was being on the radio checking subjects for warrants. Well, I wanted something to do during the downtime on the radio, so I brought some crocheting stuff one day. I got to see everyone who got arrested and the officers, so I got to know the officers pretty well. One of my favorite officer buddies came in and thought I was knitting and just started talking about it (in a positive way!!).

I thought, hmmm, maybe I could knit. (I had tried a few times before with disasterous results--my problem was I was trying to make it really complicated. No one in the family knitted so I had no one to ask.)

Anyway, I decided to give it one more go. I bought a "Learn to knit" kit at Michaels and some varigated yarn, which helped so much because then I could differentiate between the parts of the stitches. This was before Amy's wonderful site, but I did find another set of knitting videos on the web and that helped, too. And now, you can't pry the needles out of my hands. :D

So I guess I can say, it's the cop's fault that I knit. :lol:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-07-2005, 08:03 PM
My best friend started knitting Fall of 03. Since I generally have an "anything you can do, I can do better" attitude, I made her teach me, and made sure that I learned to purl before she did :twisted:

pixie_day
02-08-2005, 04:48 PM
I began knitting when I worked at a law firm and did not have enough to keep me busy. A yarn store opened a block away and my coworker and I walked past it everyday. So I decided to stop and get the stuff to learn how to knot. I am not overly crafty. I have tried crochet, counted cross stitch, sewing, painting, you name it and I have probably tried it but never found anything that I liked doing. Now I knit all the time and my husband in constantly teasing my about my habit, although he does benefit from it.

javede
02-27-2005, 03:52 AM
How did I miss this thread?
I have been quite crafty as long as I can remember. My mum always made us do something and animated me to try out everything I wanted-from oil painting to silk painting to plaster to window color etc
Actually almost anything in my room is altered in some way :D .
I have been crocheting before, but only did some doll clothes(aka rectangles turned into skirts with safety pins) and some scarfes.
Then last year I learned to sew cause I couldn't find a pair of trouser anywhere! Not that I weight to much, but all those low cut ones look stupid on me.
Last summer me and my mum went to a fleamarket. I was searching for some fabric and then saw some knitting needles. I asked my mum if knitting was easier then crocheting and she asked me back if I wanted to learn it. Then we just brought the knitting needles. Later I got some more from my grandaunt whom we visited that day.
Well, unfortunately my mum couldn't really remember how to knit so I had to teach myself!
That doesn't really answer the question what made me start knitting...
I think it was out of curiosity, if I could master it. Also when I saw the knitting needles I had all these projects in my mind. Like cool scarves and sweaters nobody else wears!

shellebelle216
02-27-2005, 09:31 AM
My grandmother used to crochet afghans for me when I was younger and I always wanted to be able to make things for her. This past December I mentioned to my boyfriend that I wanted to learn to knit. He picked me up a kit and when I got frustrated (I have very little patience) with trying to figure out the basics, he learned cast-on, knit, and purl so he could teach me. Since I have strated though it has cured several things. For three years I have had this problem with scratching my legs until they bleed. It was the stangest thing and doctors couldn't find anything wrong. Once I started knitting I stopped scratching. It also is a huge stress reliever.

pfttec
02-27-2005, 09:42 AM
My DD taught me to knit, something I thought I'd never learn. She is the light of my life and has opened my eyes to many things. She is a wonderful teacher...in so many ways! :D

happenin
02-27-2005, 10:52 PM
Not "what", but rather "whom". The answer: Martha Stewart.

It's like a madness I tell ya. First it's one project and then the next. All along you'll ask yourself" "but why?" only to answer yourself in replying: "but why not?"

Then one day you'll find yourself wandering alone, in some off the beaten track sort of place, all down and out and looking for your next big score, a new challenge!

If you've really got it bad, you might even veer into something really shady and crooked, like crochet. That's when you REALLY know YOU'RE "HOOKED". :wink:

And to think, I have a prosecuted criminal to thank for this "habit".
I simply cannot thank her enough for turning me on to this wonderful craft....even if it took much longer to "dial in" my own style....which is still very much an ongoing, work in progress.

amy
02-28-2005, 11:48 AM
Welcome happenin!

...Then one day you'll find yourself wandering alone, in some off the beaten track sort of place, all down and out and looking for your next big score, a new challenge!

If you've really got it bad, you might even veer into something really shady and crooked, like crochet. ...And to think, I have a prosecuted criminal to thank for this "habit".

ROFL, you're a riot. :lol:

My mom taught me basic crochet when I was in pre-school, and the knit and purl stitches when I was in 1st grade, I's say. My Dad had a couple of awesome girlfriends that introduced me to sewing and reading a sewing pattern. I remember when I saw my first hand-made sweater that my grandmother had made, and I was very impressed.

I was a total craft-junkie as a kid. I did knitting, crochet, sewing, cross-stitch, embroidery, doll-making....whatever I discovered. I tried it all by the age of 9, I'd say!

Knitting is the only thing that I've really stuck with. I still do the other things on occassion, but nothing to the extent that I knit.

Amy

knitfun
02-28-2005, 01:11 PM
I too have always been on the crafty side. I think I get it from my Grandmother, (it skipped a generation with my Mom, she has no interest in anything crafty).

I've done lots of stuff, canvas painting, slate painting, I vaguely remember learning crochet when I was a kid.

My DH joined a pottery class with me and we had a blast making clay stuff, then we learned to do stained glass, we made some really awesome windows together. He built us a work table that we still use to create stained glass projects.

I sew too, have made a few quilts, but am not that great at piecing it together....it seems to take forever!

I picked up knitting shortly after I was diagnosed with Cancer. It quickly became a way to calm my nerves. My knitting always picks up around the time I go for more testing to check the progress. (Unfortunatly, it has spread and my body resists the treatment that is available for my type - so there is nothing they can do right now).

The good news is that I got my neighbor into it too, so we can occasionally get together and knit.

Now I have all of you and I love this knitting site and seeing what everyone is doing!

amy
02-28-2005, 01:42 PM
Lori, I'm so sorry to hear about your cancer condition! I'm praying for a miracle for you. xoxo

If you have any requests for knitting videos you want to see, let me know. I'll put them on the top of my list.

xoxo Amy

knitfun
02-28-2005, 01:49 PM
Thanks Amy,

Your site is awesome, I have referred back to the videos often! I am presently trying to learn to Continental knit.....I have always done the English style....thanks to your videos it is lots easier than I ever thought!

As far as miracles go, you never know, all prayers are accepted!! Thanks!

Thank goodness I have a slew of awesome specialists at Sloan-Kettering in NYC! When they say jump, I jump! Ya know!

Thankfully also, that otherwise I am very healthy and have a great DH and two of the most awesome little boys! *beaming mom*

mascarasnake
02-28-2005, 09:21 PM
It took me a while to start knitting. In 2000 or 2001, I wanted to learn so badly, but I knew noone who could teach me. I bought "The Better Homes and Gardens Guide to Needlework" and set out at trying to figure it out. Occasionally, I would run into a knitter and accost them until they showed me how to cast on. No matter how hard I concentrated, it never clicked. As "Stitch N' Bitch" became more popular and SNBs popped up around the country, I met a few more knitters, but no one had patience with me. I threw down my needles in disgust and admitted defeat.

About 6 months later, I woke up out of a dream in which I saw, perfectly SAW, how to cast on and do a knit stitch. I jumped out of bed and grabbed my needles, still with twisted yarn on them, and went to it before I lost the image. Behold, I could knit!

Unfortunately, I still didn't know any knitters, so I was doomed to scarves for a really long time. Since moving to Portland, however, I have fallen in love with Mabel's, a yarn shop and cafe that is always full of crafty boys and gals who are always nice ad willing to help--no snobbery here! It has helped so much, and I'm onto my first sweater now, after doing booties, hats, a baby onsie and learning crochet.

I'm quite obsessed right now, but it's a very good thing for me. I have a pretty intense anxiety disorder, and I haev restless legs and hands. Knitting give me something to focus on, which relaxes my brain and extremities. So, I came to knitting because I'm knid of a spazz! Hee.

Lynn in NZ
03-01-2005, 12:24 AM
:lol: Hi, everyone,
I've just joined, and am looking forward to getting to know you all in time.
I live in New Zealand, but was born in Australia 55 years ago.
My maternal grandmother taught me to knit when I was 8, and I've hardly stopped since LOL.
Knitting is a real stress-reliever for me, as I'm on disability. So between knitting and my online mates, I cope pretty well.
Lynn in NZ

amy
03-01-2005, 02:53 AM
Mascarasnake, I love the story of you waking up from a dream, with that "AHA!" vision! That's so cool!

Welcome Lynn! Thanks for sharing the picture!

Amy

Sara
03-01-2005, 01:01 PM
I can do just about any craft, I love to sew, quilt, embroider, etc. I taught myself the art of crochet and did that to death. How many afghans do I really need? Friends and family start to get that squishy look on their faces when you give them things...I decided to learn to knit, bought myself a book and ended up flinging the mess across the room in a rage. The wife of a fellow choir member volunteered to teach me, so I found a pattern for a "simple" sweater for my then three year old. I finished it in about four months time, too late for the sweater to actually fit her. I should never have made a sweater with a hood, the kid has a big head. Amazingly enough, I was hooked! I keep trying to build on my skills with each new project (currently socks) and I'm using the continental method for the first time and really like it (I'm left-handed) thanks to the videos on this site. Nobody has ever looked at me squishy for giving them things I have knit. I find that items knit are more functional than items crocheted.

MommaBear
03-02-2005, 04:51 PM
For me, I am just crafty by nature and one day I decided I wanted to... so I went and picked up needles :D

What about you? Is it a family tradition? Did a friend teach you? Do share!

A friend was pregnant and I was determined to make her baby booties. So I learned to make the booties. And I liked it and learned to make more htings! LOL! But I originally thought I would make the booties and be done. Nope. I got hooked!! LOL!

perced
03-03-2005, 02:50 PM
I have always been crafty. I cut, sew, glue, nail. I started knitting a couple of years ago when the cool scarfs started coming to the stores. I figured I could do the same thing cheaper. (Always the penny pincher :oops:) I fell in love with knitting then and have stuck to it. The only thing that has taken me away is the creation of my new gardens last summer. I loved making them, but missed knitting a lot. This is one of the only crafts to really keep my attention. Although, I have recently started m&p soaping with my kids. We enjoyed it & everyone on our christmas list did too.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-03-2005, 02:56 PM
wow your gardens are fabulous! What a lot of work... i'll bet it really pays off in the spring and summer though! I'm jealous!

Mer
03-03-2005, 06:06 PM
Wow, seems like everyone is crafty...I have to say I am not at all! I've tried other crafts, and knitting seems to be the only thing where I have some patience and the things I've made don't look horrible! Maybe because I had it demonstrated to me--first by my mom and then on this lovely site--and it's much easier for me to learn things when I see them in action.

I had learned to knit from my mom when I was about ten, and did a ton of dishcloths and little square purses, but hadn't done it in about 15 years. Then this christmas my MIL and SIL gave me cute stuff they had knitted, and I decided to learn again! I have to say it's very addicting. :wink:

Louine
03-04-2005, 10:34 AM
The topic is a quote from my grandmother, that I am sure many of you have hear before....some how when I was growing up, I thought it was original with her. She did not knit but taught me to crochet when I would visit her in the summers....along with singing (and reading) it was the only activity allowed on Sundays in our very large "southern Baptist".

When my family went on a vacation to the beach with my grandparents when I was about 10 or 12, we were told that we could spend about $3 (after all it was about 1960) on a toy when we went shopping. My grandmother bought yarn and I bought a little kit with wooden needles (about 5 inches long) with red balls on the ends, a spool knitter (red as well (to make tube rope)), an insturction book, and a small amount of yarn. I practiced and practiced pulling out many times and using the yarn over and over until I could do both a Knit and Purl stitch. However there were no directions as to how to yo between knit and purl on the same row. I bought more yarn once home and a pattern book and made everyone in the family a pair of slippers......in stockinette and garter stitch. I then stopped because there was no one I knew who could help me with the questions that I had. When I was in high school a lady in my town opened a yarn shop and taught classes on saturday...I went to a classes for about a month and learned how to knit and purl in the same row and another method of casting on....that she called "knitting on the stitches" as well as some help on following pattern instructions. After that time I have knitted and crochets intermittantly as the trends in crafts have come and gone.

Lately, I have been lured back to knitting by the wonderful new yarns and the fact that my daughter has moved to a colder climit outside of DC (I have always lived in south east NC)---I have knitted her scarves and matching hats to match her winter coats and am now knitting scarves for everyone I know.

Now I don't really think "idle hands are the devils workshop" but I love having a project to pick up when watching tv or traveling and as a school teacher it is nice to have a project to help me relax.

kimmie
03-04-2005, 11:32 AM
My mother was an accomplished knitter, but she was very ill with cancer while I was growing up, so I barely remember her knitting. (I do have all of her old needles though).

In 4th grade I was in 4-H and learned to knit. Our one and only project was a pair of mittens. I think that was a bit much for a 9 year old new knitter and I suspect that the 4-H leader probably did most of it.

At any rate, I didn't knit again until 11th grade when I took a class in high school called "Creative Stitchery" and I learned to knit, crochet and embroider. For whatever reason, I became passionate about knitting. I will crochet or embroider rarely, but I don't love it the way I love knitting. Of all the classes that I took from kindergarten through grad school, I think that the Creative Stitchery class has been the most useful and brought me the most pleasure.

So that's my story.
:) kimmie

KnittingKnut
03-05-2005, 01:40 AM
I started knitting when I was 5 or 6 because my older brothers (6 and 7 years older than me) were doing it...I always thought I should be able to do what they did :lol: . My knitting was so tight that I could barely get the needle in the stitches so never got beyond slippers and dishcloths and finally gave up on it because it was such a hassle. If I saw something I wanted I just said "Mamaaaa" and she would knit it for me :D . After her death I learned to cross stitch and needlepoint because she had SO many unfinished and unstarted cross stitch projects, and it gave me something to do.
Then about 10 years ago the owner of a LYS showed me how to knit continental style which kept me from knitting so tightly. Unfortunately she couldn't show me how to do much more than knit and purl so I pretty much stuck to knitting the occasional dishcloth, concentrating on my needlework. I have a close friend who is an avid knitter and I would buy yarn and patterns when we went to the LYS but never got much farther than casting on since I couldn't figure out how to do the advanced stitches continental style.
Because of health problems I can't hold my arms up to do the needlework right now so was going nuts with no hobbies. Then I found this site. With the help of the awesome videos I now think I can do anything with a pair of needles !!! :wink: I have finished knitting my first sweater (haven't put it together though...gotta figure out how to do that yet) and am almost 1/2 way through my 2nd one now!!!