PDA

View Full Version : Are cotton baby blankets okay in the dryer?

Sandrala
03-21-2005, 08:07 PM
I am an addicted beginner. I was told yesterday at the local yarn shop that I should use acrylic instead of cotton yarn for a baby blanket because anything knitted with cotton cannot be tossed in the dryer and will not air dry in our tropical climate. I would much rather give cotton blankets than acrylic. Must I use acrylic? Thanks! Sandi

ekgheiy
03-22-2005, 10:43 AM
I am an addicted beginner. I was told yesterday at the local yarn shop that I should use acrylic instead of cotton yarn for a baby blanket because anything knitted with cotton cannot be tossed in the dryer and will not air dry in our tropical climate. I would much rather give cotton blankets than acrylic. Must I use acrylic? Thanks! Sandi

Cotton cannot be dried in a dryer or air dried?? :?? I've heard you're not supposed to use dryer sheets with cotton, but I've never heard that you can't air dry them or put them in the dryer. Whenever I hear something that I doubt, I just go by what the yarn label indicates. After all, don't people make dish clothes out of cotton yarn? They are wet and dried constantly, no?? :thinking: Baby blankets blankets are washed and handled so often, so perhaps they meant to recommed acrylic over cotton because acrylic is so durable.

Just a thought...

Gatomoso
03-22-2005, 11:24 AM

I've tossed my hand-knit, cotton, baby blanket in the washing machine and have air-dried it without a problem. I'm sure I could toss it in the dryer too. Why not knit a swatch and test it out?

Good luck!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-22-2005, 08:48 PM
I think the only concern is that sometimes cotton shrinks in the dryer.... but if a blanket shrinks, it will still "fit" right??? Knit a swatch, measure it, then soak it down, toss in the dryer, and measure it again, and see what the percentage of shrinkage is; that will give you an idea of if it will work or not.

feministmama
03-24-2005, 12:33 AM
Just knit it bigger than normal so if it does shrink it'll be OK. Did that make sense?