PDA

View Full Version : Good source for DPN's?

KellyK
03-24-2005, 09:08 AM
Does anyone have a favorite online source for wood dpn's? I dont wanna spend 7.50 per set....

(and I dont have a pencil sharpener....can you believe it?)

happenin
03-25-2005, 02:11 AM
Sorry, I don't know of a place to find them online at better prices, except to possibly suggest ebay or some place like that.

No pencil sharpener? No problem. You could still use a pocket knife...or a reasonably sharp, old kitchen paring knife. If you do go this route, just make sure to pretend like it's a potato and stand over your garbage container while you whittle. :) Another idea is to do it over a grocery store bag. Save those shavings for: bedding for a pet, your garden compost, mulch around an outdoor plant, kindling.

ekgheiy
03-25-2005, 11:49 AM
Does anyone have a favorite online source for wood dpn's? I dont wanna spend 7.50 per set....

How about making your own?? Amy shows you how to do that here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/videos/bas-tech-more/making-knitting-needles-rds.mpg). I am still considering doing this, even though I don't like working with wooden needles. I guess the novelty appeals to me ... :)

Good Luck

beldaraan
03-25-2005, 11:57 AM

A pencil sharpener is pretty cheap isn't it? :D

DotMom61
03-25-2005, 03:24 PM

Kelly --

What size do you need? I was in a bind for a couple of size 8s to make an i-cord, and I discovered that the stash of chop sticks we have from our favorite Chinese restaurant are size 8! :lol:

We do have a pencil sharpener, though!! You could, like others have mentioned, whittle them. Does your hubby have any power tools? How 'bout a belt sander? That would make a nice tip.

Also, you should be able to get a length of dowel rod from Home Depot (Menards, Lowes, etc) for next to nothing. Then run over to Sam's and invest in an electric pencil sharpener. They're less than 2 sets of DPNs, and you'll be able to sharpen your pencils, too!! :happydance:

KellyK
03-25-2005, 10:32 PM
A pencil sharpener is pretty cheap isn't it? :D

YES, Miss Beldie-Smarty-Fat-Pants! :rollseyes:

As a matter of fact, that's exactly what I did. Ran to Home Depot, now I have size 3's, 4's, 7's and 8's!

So, MLYAAAAH! :P

Thanks, all, for your advice!

happenin
03-25-2005, 11:43 PM
Wow Kelly, you're lucky in your area!

What a coincidence, I just came back from Home Depot myself, this was the 2nd store I've checked out (the other was "Wally-World" about a week ago). Around here, the smallest I've found is US 7. Maybe I need to try a few more, different stores to obtain the variety I'm looking for. Or perhaps skewers, or as mentioned earlier chop sticks might do the job. But I know these are made of more porous and flimsy wood, which might not hold up to rigorous knitting. I guess it just depends on the quality of the wood.

I noticed dowels come in 2 varieties.....the less expensive "Hardwood" (though some of the labels say "S/W" for Soft Wood...they're all likely Pine) and the slightly more costly Oak (which is a good hardwood and likely easier to find east of the Mississippi).

I'd say the Oak is better reserved for after a few of these have been made and experimented with in projects. My guess is these "hardwood's" will likely snap easily, especially if they're smaller sized. I'd say it may well be a different story with the Oak ones though.

I'm gonna try the "hardwoods" first, because I know it'll be easier to file down because they're a softer, more porous wood. Once I know what I'm doing, I'm switchin' to Oak and then make myself a full set of more durable sizes for this tight knitter.

For now, it also looks like I'm going to have to use my old, basic carpentry and woodworking skillsto make the dowels I do have any smaller. Turning my cordless drill into a "lathe" by clamping it in a vise and then by pressing either rough/medium/fine sandpaper or a chisel against the spinning dowels. I'll do the same with my larger sized dowels for the larger size needles.

Then, all of these puppies are gonna go through an old school style, hand crankin', dial-a-hole size, wall mounted pencil sharpener like a buzz saw. bruahahahha

Rennagayle
03-26-2005, 12:20 AM
As there are no dpn's to be found locally (small town), I just viewed Amy's video for making your own. That's a nifty little gadget she was holding, the needle guage. I've not seen one of those before. Are they generally available at craft stores? :?:

KellyK
03-26-2005, 01:05 AM
My gauge came with my "learn to knit" kit, which I bought at Michaels.

DotMom61
03-26-2005, 01:07 AM
Or perhaps skewers, or as mentioned earlier chop sticks might do the job. But I know these are made of more porous and flimsy wood, which might not hold up to rigorous knitting. I guess it just depends on the quality of the wood.

Happenin --

The chopsticks I got from the Chinese restaurant were actually bamboo :shock: ... I was quite pleased with the way they turned out after some moderate sanding. They're so nice and smooth & seem really quite sturdy.

I also saw a pack of about 10-12" dowels @ Target tonight, of all places. There were about 8 or 10 dowels in three sizes for .99! Amazing. It looked like they would probably be equivalent to about size 11, 8 and maybe 5. I'm not quite sure why I didn't buy them. :??

DotMom61
03-26-2005, 01:11 AM
As a matter of fact, that's exactly what I did. Ran to Home Depot, now I have size 3's, 4's, 7's and 8's!

Ooo ...congracheelations! You work quick! :thumbsup:

DotMom61
03-26-2005, 01:12 AM
As there are no dpn's to be found locally (small town), I just viewed Amy's video for making your own. That's a nifty little gadget she was holding, the needle guage. I've not seen one of those before. Are they generally available at craft stores? :?:

Most definitely. I've seen them in just about every craft store around here -- Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Joanne. And they're pretty inexpensive, too.

beldaraan
03-26-2005, 01:27 AM
YES, Miss Beldie-Smarty-Fat-Pants! :rollseyes:
Smart...yes :D
Smarty....yes :P

Fat Pants....no (_)(_) ;)

Enjoy your dpns.

Rennagayle
03-26-2005, 01:42 AM
My gauge came with my "learn to knit" kit, which I bought at Michaels

Gee, I feel dumb. I actually have one of those kits, and the needle guage. I even keep it in my current knitting project bag. I've just used it for the ruler, never even noticing the holes in it for guaging needle size . :doh: :blush:

Thanks, Kelly. :D

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-26-2005, 05:43 AM
Fat Pants....no (_)(_) ;)

:rofling: :rofling: :rofling:

KellyK
03-26-2005, 10:03 AM
I like us. We're FUN. :shifty:

happenin
03-26-2005, 11:34 AM
The chopsticks I got from the Chinese restaurant were actually bamboo ... I was quite pleased with the way they turned out after some moderate sanding. They're so nice and smooth & seem really quite sturdy.
Kewl, must be a really good Chinese restaurant.....the ones around here don't usually have high quality ones. I have a set of Size 2, bamboo DPN's and they do the job nicely. I'd thought about using bamboo too, I think there's a place some place in the western part of my state that grows bamboo if you can believe it. I've read it can grow here in certain regions?! Funky.

I've seen those multipacks of dowels too....but I'm stayin' away from them because I don't think they're as good an overall value as the larger dowels....especially being new to this procedure, running the risk of breakage and being without a replacement within the pack. Again, those multipacks look to be larger sizes too. But, they would eliminate most of the length cutting hassle for those who prefer not to do that kind of cutting. :)
I like us. We're FUN.
And CHEAP! :rofling:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-26-2005, 11:50 AM
I like us. We're FUN.
And CHEAP! :rofling:

I, actually, am pretty expensive... but worth every penny ;)

beldaraan
03-26-2005, 10:54 PM
*whispers*

Hilde, they're talking about dpns being cheap :rollseyes: