PDA

View Full Version : extras in stash swap????

feministmama
03-24-2005, 03:07 PM
I saw this in another thread:

OMGGGGGGG cool idea

I was part of a beaders circle a little while back, and we had a stash share box; someone started a box, and we'd put in it all of our "leftover" beads, and mail it to the next person... then she would take what she wanted, and add in whatever she had left over and send it on.
Maybe this is something we could do here? the only downfall I see is that while beads aresmall and light, a box on leftover yarn balls has the potential for getting expensive to mail.... hmm, never mind. good idea in theory, i suppose :??

and I thought, that's not a bad idea. Some wools/cottons/etc may not weight too much and if we're just sending our one or two skeins of scrap and leftovers then maybe even lighter. Whaddaya'll think?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-24-2005, 10:28 PM
well *I* of course think it's a great idea! GENIUS in fact! :thumbsup:

beldaraan
03-25-2005, 12:04 PM
I think it'd be cool, but I sense a problem. I would keep all the yarn, hence ending the cycle :shifty:

KellyK
03-28-2005, 08:41 AM
You're having visions of spreading the yarn all over the floor & ROLLING in it, aren't you, Beldie?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-28-2005, 10:44 AM
Well, how it worked when I did it before was that for each thing you took out of the box, you'd have to put something from your own stash to replenish. So as much as Beldie wants to be a yarn hog, she can't do it!

beldaraan
03-28-2005, 11:40 AM
Umm, our dependable mail system lost it?

Hildegard, who ever said I was good at following the rules?! Silly girl.

Kelly, sounds like fun. Want to come over and play with me?

KellyK
03-28-2005, 11:55 AM
Kelly, sounds like fun. Want to come over and play with me?

Sure! We can wear pink shorty pajamas, pigtails in our hair, have a pillow fight while jumping on the bed and then roll in yarn! We'll be every man's fantasy! :rollseyes:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-28-2005, 03:48 PM
We can wear pink shorty pajamas, pigtails in our hair, have a pillow fight while jumping on the bed and then roll in yarn! We'll be every man's fantasy!
Beldie, don't forget to bring your knitted handcuffs :rofling:

So I'm gathering not a lot of people are interested in this idea :mad: Darn!

KellyK
03-28-2005, 04:52 PM
Beldie, don't forget to bring your knitted handcuffs :rofling:

:mad: HEY!!! :mad:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-28-2005, 06:35 PM
To add to the fantasy part, KK, not necessarily to chain you up!

amy
04-04-2005, 04:44 AM
Hey everyone, I think this stash swap could work! How about something like THIS.....

The first person starts the cycle, by Posting PICTURES of their extra yarn in a thread. 1 picture per type of yarn. The first person to reply claiming a yarn, gets to have it mailed to them. As they claim the yarn they want, they also post pictures of their own yarn offered.

TO MAKE IT WORK, people REALLY need to edit their posts to remove the picture of yarn they're shipping to someone. Then, all anyone has to do is scroll down the list of pictures to see what's currently available!

What do you think?!
Amy

carollovesyarn
04-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Hey everyone, I think this stash swap could work! How about something like THIS.....

The first person starts the cycle, by Posting PICTURES of their extra yarn in a thread. 1 picture per type of yarn. The first person to reply claiming a yarn, gets to have it mailed to them. As they claim the yarn they want, they also post pictures of their own yarn offered.

TO MAKE IT WORK, people REALLY need to edit their posts to remove the picture of yarn they're shipping to someone. Then, all anyone has to do is scroll down the list of pictures to see what's currently available!

What do you think?!
Amy
Wouldn't it have to be an even swap - that is the person who first wants the yarn in the posted pic would then have to offer something to the picture poster?

Carol
PS Why has no one told me how cool Hello.com is - I've just spent half the day playing with it and Picasa - now I really need to get my own blog.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-04-2005, 07:29 PM
Wouldn't it have to be an even swap - that is the person who first wants the yarn in the posted pic would then have to offer something to the picture poster?
I don't know... it's not necessarily supposed to be an even swap; If I post something and someone wants it, they either give me an agreed-upon amount of money, or (hypothetically) an equal amount of yarn. If it's an even trade, then we're already doing it... on this forum!
ME--Hi I have X yarn, here's a pic, who wants it?
BELDIE--I have some Y yarn, here's a pic, who wants it?
ME thinks... ooo i really want that Y yarn
BELDIE thinks ... ooo i really want that X yarn
ME -- Hey I'll give you my X yarn if you give me your Y yarn
BELDIE-- Okay it's a deal

I was thinking this would be like a circle thing... FMama, Beldie, KK and I all have stuff we want to get rid of... so Fmama puts 3 things labeled FM in a box, and sends it to Beldie... Beldie looks at the box, takes out 2 things from FMama and puts in 2 things she doesn't need labeled BD, then sends it to KK.... KK takes one thing from FMama and one thing from Beldie, puts 2 of her extras labeled KK in, then send it to me... I take out one thing, put one thing in, and send it to Amy who just jumped on the bandwagon.... Amy follows suit, etc etc etc (i don't remember why the labeling is important, but it is)
*and by extras I mean comparable amounts... If I put in 3 skeins of noro (yean right) and KK takes all three and puts in 3 ziploc bags of 2-foot long fun fur ends, it's not exactly the same (sheesh, KK! ) This is about honor system all the way....
It actually would take a lot of organizing; we'd have to do address lists, figure how/where to add people, making sure that we're not sending the box unnecessarily across the country (if KK and I are in northern IL it makes sense for me to send to KK first instead of sending to someone in NY who will send it to KK)... and the downfall is that the person who puts in first might not get a change to take OUT for a while.... what happenes when someone runs off with the box, or the PO loses it, or someone goes on vacation and the box sits for 2 weeks w/o moving, etc etc etc. It was a LOT easier with beads, because they're small... we had 45 people on the list, and we still have a very small priority mail sized box... I personally don't want to lug something that's 4 foot square to the PO and mail it.
Anyway, there are REALLY GOOD things about it too, like having a surprise at your door one day, finding just the right bit of REALLY COOL yarn, finding something that's not available in your area....
I don't know, maybe logistically it isn't workable :mad:

carollovesyarn
04-04-2005, 07:49 PM
I was thinking this would be like a circle thing... FMama, Beldie, KK and I all have stuff we want to get rid of... so Fmama puts 3 things labeled FM in a box, and sends it to Beldie... Beldie looks at the box, takes out 2 things from FMama and puts in 2 things she doesn't need labeled BD, then sends it to KK.... KK takes one thing from FMama and one thing from Beldie, puts 2 of her extras labeled KK in, then send it to me... I take out one thing, put one thing in, and send it to Amy who just jumped on the bandwagon.... Amy follows suit, etc etc etc (i don't remember why the labeling is important, but it is)
*and by extras I mean comparable amounts... If I put in 3 skeins of noro (yean right) and KK takes all three and puts in 3 ziploc bags of 2-foot long fun fur ends, it's not exactly the same (sheesh, KK! ) This is about honor system all the way....
They do this at the knitty board and it sort of works, I think one of the first boxes was lost forever. I think the only downside is getting a box with nothing you really want in it. And I would do this, but I'm extremely unemployed so I only splurge on trades and the occasional Random Act of Kindness.

We could try the RAK type thing, like "I want some purple yarn" and you just happen to have some extra purple yarn you send to me (thank you!) and you say "I want any IK mags" and Amy sends one off to you...

Carol

KellyK
04-04-2005, 08:20 PM
[quote=carollovesyarn]
It actually would take a lot of organizing; we'd have to do address lists, figure how/where to add people, making sure that we're not sending the box unnecessarily across the country (if KK and I are in northern IL it makes sense for me to send to KK first instead of sending to someone in NY who will send it to KK)... and the downfall is that the person who puts in first might not get a change to take OUT for a while.... what happenes when someone runs off with the box, or the PO loses it, or someone goes on vacation and the box sits for 2 weeks w/o moving, etc etc etc. It was a LOT easier with beads, because they're small... we had 45 people on the list, and we still have a very small priority mail sized box... I personally don't want to lug something that's 4 foot square to the PO and mail it.
Anyway, there are REALLY GOOD things about it too, like having a surprise at your door one day, finding just the right bit of REALLY COOL yarn, finding something that's not available in your area....
I don't know, maybe logistically it isn't workable :mad:
:doh: MY HEAD HURTS!!!!! :doh:
And, I would NEVER send you a ziploc bag of 2-foot long fun fur ends....I just gave three extra skeins of that to my residents. Fun fur remnants I would send to Beldie so she could make more handcuffs! :P

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-04-2005, 08:26 PM
LOL. Clear as mud, right???

feministmama
04-04-2005, 10:20 PM
Ya know I like BOTh Amy's idea and Hilde's idea. (Can't we all just get along??) Why ot do both? I'm willing to lug a box to the post office. I do it all the time. I sell stuff on Half.com and ebay and we have a self serve postal thingy at my post office and it's open on Saturdays. AND I have a digital camera and love posting pics onthe internet so you see I can do both. I'll do whatever everybody else does.

feministmama
04-04-2005, 10:21 PM
OK so here's one thing: Let's make it free ,absolutley free. Even exchange. So no one is priced out ya know? How bout that?

beldaraan
04-04-2005, 10:21 PM
so Fmama puts 3 things labeled FM in a box, and sends it to Beldie... Beldie looks at the box, takes out 2 things from FMama and puts in 2 things she doesn't need labeled BD, then sends it to KK..........the PO loses it

Didn't I already "say" something like this would happen after the yarn gets sent to me??

Fun fur remnants I would send to Beldie so she could make more handcuffs! :P

:happydance: :heart:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-04-2005, 10:26 PM
Oh yeah I totally think it should be free! We just have to pay to send the box... and if it's free we can email/pm whoever we're getting box from and say "i don't have anything to trade, send it on to whoever* without feeling like we*have* to contribute b/c we paied to do it.

amy
04-05-2005, 12:32 PM
Wait! ....I've revised my vision of this!
I'm thinking of the FreeCycling model now. Instead of "first in line" gets it, it's a more fair system, and I think a better one all around.

First of all, if the yarn is very valuable to you, you might want to sell it or something, outside of this system. This is for yarn you don't have an attachment to.

You post: "OFFERED: 3 skeins of Homespun brown". Then, everyone who's interested emails you. Emails can vary in terms of enthusiasm or need, and that often will influence who you want to give it to. You choose who you want to give it to, and when the deal's done, you simply post: "TAKEN: 3 skeins of Homespun brown." People all assume the yarn went to the best home possible; and in any case, it's fair that the person giving it up would decide.

I like it because the system is designed to please the giver of the yarn, which encourages giving. And it also increases the chances dramatically that the yarn is received by someone who'll really love and use it. With the box system, you only have a limited selection to choose from, and you may not be that excited about what you take out. I think it can end up just moving the yarn around, without necessarily finding enthusiastic homes for the yarn.

Is it fair in terms of getting back as much as you give? Well, if you really want yarn, you'll be sending out more emails to get yarn. And if you're frustrated because you haven't gotten anything after giving, you can express that to increase your chances of getting. What's cool, though, is that some people will prefer to give stuff, and won't necessarily want yarn offered, and they'll be fine with having given more. And some are more in need of receiving. I like that the system allows for this, and tends to keep everyone happy.

Amy

carollovesyarn
04-05-2005, 02:17 PM
Amy! You are so smart! Do you have a degree in psychology?? I freecycle all the time. This is a great model. :)

Carol
Wait! ....I've revised my vision of this!
I'm thinking of the FreeCycling model now. Instead of "first in line" gets it, it's a more fair system, and I think a better one all around.

First of all, if the yarn is very valuable to you, you might want to sell it or something, outside of this system. This is for yarn you don't have an attachment to.

You post: "OFFERED: 3 skeins of Homespun brown". Then, everyone who's interested emails you. Emails can vary in terms of enthusiasm or need, and that often will influence who you want to give it to. You choose who you want to give it to, and when the deal's done, you simply post: "TAKEN: 3 skeins of Homespun brown." People all assume the yarn went to the best home possible; and in any case, it's fair that the person giving it up would decide.

I like it because the system is designed to please the giver of the yarn, which encourages giving. And it also increases the chances dramatically that the yarn is received by someone who'll really love and use it. With the box system, you only have a limited selection to choose from, and you may not be that excited about what you take out. I think it can end up just moving the yarn around, without necessarily finding enthusiastic homes for the yarn.

Is it fair in terms of getting back as much as you give? Well, if you really want yarn, you'll be sending out more emails to get yarn. And if you're frustrated because you haven't gotten anything after giving, you can express that to increase your chances of getting. What's cool, though, is that some people will prefer to give stuff, and won't necessarily want yarn offered, and they'll be fine with having given more. And some are more in need of receiving. I like that the system allows for this, and tends to keep everyone happy.

Amy

Contiknitter Kelly
04-05-2005, 06:14 PM
Here's just an idea....

Long ago when I used to Quilt, I was on a birthday list. (let me see if I can remember all the details.)
X amount of people . Start it at a particular date say May 1, 2005. Whoever's birthday is may gets sent a skein of yarn from all the others in the group.. So if there's 12 people then the birthday person gets 12 skeins of yarn that month.
Hey, I guess it's like a pryamid scheme huh? If the groups are kept small say 1 person per month for a year it works out pretty well. I did get a lot of fabric the only thing was I was sending out better stuff than I was getting so after the year was up I got out. So it would have to have some details set 1st. I don't know, Just a thought. If there's anybody interested maybe we could get something going.
Let me know.
Kelly