PDA

View Full Version : hooded poncho KAL

jessmoor
03-29-2005, 03:37 PM
Hi everyone! When I saw the pattern for this hooded poncho I started drooling :drool: - I LOVE the baggy hooded sweatshirt look and this poncho is even cooler. :inlove: It is a free pattern & pretty simple, but I've never done a big clothing project before so it would be a challenge for me. I can tell already I will need help, advice, etc! Would anyone want to try it with me? :D

The link to the poncho is here (www.patonsyarns.com/pattern.php?PID=1309&PHPSESSID=1b13efe22de9b94fc1134ce52a875b98).

I know it's not technically a "spring/summer" project, but here in Seattle we need light jackets & such for evenings & cold days year round. Although I'm willing to postpone it if no one else wants to do it now....

ekgheiy
03-29-2005, 05:00 PM
Hi everyone! When I saw the pattern for this hooded poncho I started drooling :drool: - I LOVE the baggy hooded sweatshirt look and this poncho is even cooler. :inlove: It is a free pattern & pretty simple, but I've never done a big clothing project before so it would be a challenge for me. I can tell already I will need help, advice, etc! Would anyone want to try it with me? :D

The link to the poncho is here (www.patonsyarns.com/pattern.php?PID=1309&PHPSESSID=1b13efe22de9b94fc1134ce52a875b98).

I know it's not technically a "spring/summer" project, but here in Seattle we need light jackets & such for evenings & cold days year round. Although I'm willing to postpone it if no one else wants to do it now....

Ooo this look so comfy-cozy!! I wish I could join you...

Do post updates ... and pics if you can ;)

mascarasnake
03-30-2005, 06:53 PM
I am so all about this! Could we wait about a week, though?

jessmoor
03-31-2005, 04:24 AM
I am so all about this! Could we wait about a week, though?

Yaaaay!! :cheering: I'm soo happy to be able to knit this with someone! I can start whenever you'd prefer. A week sounds good, then I can finish my current project (a small skirt with railroad nov yarn to be worn over pants).

I got a bunch of chunky purplish yarn for this project, since it was on clearance (& I needed a lot), but now I worry that I didn't get enough. I converted based on yardage (per hank), but I wonder if I should have done it by grams instead :thinking: . What color did you decide on?

mascarasnake
03-31-2005, 08:12 PM
I'm looking for a yarn sub as well, but I'm having a bit of a hard time. The Patons Bohemian isn't exactly my cup of tea, but I'm having a hard time find another yarn that has a guage of 8sts =4" or 2 sts= 1". I suppose as a poncho, gauge don't have to be totally strict, but apprently the Bohemian is super duper plus extra mammoth chunky! Oh well, I'll find something...and we'll fight off the Northwestern rain in style! :happydance:

jessmoor
04-01-2005, 03:56 AM
The clearance yarn I got was close to the right gauge but a little different - it advises 3 sts per inch compared to the pattern's 2 sts per inch (size 11 needles). I think its normal chunky weight and the grams per yard was definitely less (0.9 g/yd versus 1.2 g/yd for the Bohemian). The brand is Classice Elite Yarns "TwoTwo", 100% highland wool (not sure what "highland" is).

I called the big yarn store (Pasttimes in Auburn) where I got the yarn to ask about converting the yarn, and they said that using a different weight of yarn is no problem, as long as the pattern gauge was followed. The person said to always convert by yardage, not grams (weight) to find out how much of the other yarn to get. I just think this means I'll probably have to use different size needles (bigger?).

I don't know from experience, since its my first big pattern :pray: , but i'd guess that you shouldn't worry about the size of the yarn too much, as long as its not a really big difference :?: .

Knit-alongs are sooo cool!! :happydance:

brookenic
04-05-2005, 01:31 AM
I'm going to knit this too. How far along are you all? ~Brooke

jessmoor
04-05-2005, 01:50 AM
I'm going to knit this too. How far along are you all?

I actually haven't started yet :oops: , but I'm planning to start tomorrow or Wednesday (tomorrow is looking to be a busy day). I'm really excited to get to work on it! :happydance:

Yvonne
04-05-2005, 09:51 AM
I'm making a different hooded poncho for my daughter's teacher. Actually, I'm making her the Berroco Amore Ponshal and the Lion Brand Pretty Poncho (she bought all the yarn and sent it home with my daughter from school). I'll be starting the hooded one by the weekend, probably. It's pretty similar (shapewise) to this one you are all doing.

mascarasnake
04-05-2005, 05:54 PM
haven't started yet either...still need the yarn! :doh:

mascarasnake
04-10-2005, 11:36 PM
I finally bought my yarn! I found Berocco Duo for a pretty nice price, and given my loose stitch, it's pretty close in gauge, so when I get it I can finally start!

brookenic
04-11-2005, 11:56 PM
OK I have mine yarn now too. I'm gonna get started, probably this Thursday. How about you all? ~Brooke

jessmoor
04-13-2005, 02:10 PM
I started a few days ago, and am halfway done with one side so far. Its going well - I started with a few questions about the pattern but I think I figured them out. Specifically, the loop stitch was really hard & tedious until I stopped doing it the way the pattern says and started doing it Amy's way (in her video). That works so much better! I let the yarn for the loop slide down to my fingertip (right thumb), which I pressed against the right needle so the yarn didn't slide all the way off - this made slightly smaller loops, which seemed to look better (& used less yarn).

Unfortunately, I think I'm going to be using at least 150 more yards than the pattern says, maybe because the weight of my yarn is slightly different (chunky vs. bulky), although I've been told that shouldn't affect yardage. My gauge is correct, & I also altered the pattern to be slightly smaller, casting on 2 less stitches & adjusting the rest of the pattern accordingly, so if anything I should be using less yarn. I was in a bit of a panic :shock: for a couple days until I found more of my yarn, since the original YS was out & the first 15 places I called didn't carry that style at all. Its a different lot number, but the color looks the same (whew :oops: ). My yarn is Classic Elite, Two-Two (chunky wool).

I've also noticed the strange phenomena discussed in the thread What the heck? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=886) , where one side of the V's in stockinette are not slanted but almost vertical. It's the first time I've experienced this, and I heard it happens with certain yarns, but I'm not concerned - vertical lines will only make it more flattering! ;)

jessmoor
04-18-2005, 01:45 PM
Well, I've finished one side, but its way too long! (at least for what I wanted - not almost down to my knees :shock: ). I may have interpreted the pattern wrong, where it says "work 3 rows even" - that normally means to keep working the stitch pattern (in this case stockinette st) with no increases or decreases. Then the pattern says to repeat the last 4 rows (the first row with 2 decreases & the 3 rows even) until there is 75 stitches. That would mean repeating those 4 rows 7 times (2 decreases on the first row only).

For the other side, I'm trying it a different way (not what the pattern says, but maybe its wrong :?? ). For the "3 rows even" I'm purling the first, then repeating the row before with the decreases, then purling another row. That means I only repeat those 4 rows 3 times (after the first set of 4), to get down to 75 stitches. So far, from what I can estimate, it looks like the finished product will be about the length I want (a normal sweatshirt length, more like what is in the picture).

I was also using more yarn than the pattern called for (in yards), so this alteration would solve that mystery too. I don't know how often patterns are wrong, if ever...

I'll let you all know how it turns out! :D

mascarasnake
04-19-2005, 02:42 PM
why isn't my yarn here yet? :crying: I wanna start!

mascarasnake
04-20-2005, 07:32 PM
Hmm...
I just got my yarn today (yay!) but I realized that I undercalculated the yardage I would need for the sub yarn by 140 yards. Since this is turning out to be monstrous for you, do you think I will be okay?

In any case, I did the loops, which frustrated me as well until I watched Amy's video. Ahh, that Amy. It should be pretty easy from here. I love my yarn, so that will make it appealing towork on nomatter what, right?

So how are you doing with it now, jessmoor?

HeatherFeather
04-21-2005, 08:47 AM
I HAVE to knit this!!!!!!!!! thinking in a pretty fall autumn goldish/brownish color!!! lol....

I have a sickness I think....is there help available???? lol......house is falling down, and all I want to do is sit and knit...... :XX: :XX: :XX:

mascarasnake
04-21-2005, 12:22 PM
HeatherFeather, use this color! It's so gorgeous and it's on sale for $33/bag at WEBS (yarn.com)...I'm loving this yarn!

HeatherFeather
04-21-2005, 12:31 PM
ooo.....what kind of yarn? color? so I can go shopping!! lol.... :heart: thanks for the heads up!! :)

is it the Berroco duo you mentioned in a previous post? :)

mascarasnake
04-21-2005, 02:02 PM
Yes, it is the Berrocco Duo in shade Nero, number 3234. Yum yum yum!!!

mascarasnake
04-25-2005, 12:28 PM
my parents have been in town visiting, so I haven't been good about posting, but I did get side one done this weekend! thanks to jessmoor for explaining the possible error regarding the length in the repeated loop stitch rows--I didn't want mine long, either! I'm on side two, and really liking how it's turning out. I'll post a pic after I take the folks to the airport. How about the rest of you?

mascarasnake
04-26-2005, 07:04 PM
As promised, here is side one!

HeatherFeather
04-27-2005, 07:21 AM
I am quitting my job today....soooo my yarn budget is in the toilet now. I am thinking that an "I will knit for yarn" button might be appropriate.

I do love this pattern...and this will be my poncho pattern!!!

jessmoor
04-29-2005, 03:54 AM
Side one is done! :happydance: I'll post some pics whenever I can get around to getting my camera fixed... I'm halfway done with side 2 (zooming along with the big needles and yarn!). The part I am wondering about is the hood - the picture doesn't show how big it is, and I want it BIG :shock: I can't decide how wide of loop stitch to do on the hood either, because I think it'll look good, but I don't want it to be too exaggerated - but if I don't do the full 3 inches of loop stitch, then maybe I'll have to add rows after that so the hood doesn't turn out smaller :thinking: . Mascarasnake, keep up the great pics - yours is looking awesome (love the yarn :D )!

mascarasnake
04-29-2005, 12:05 PM
Jessmoor--I'm done with side two and working on the hood now. I was waivering about the three inches of loop stitch as well. I'm not a real fluffy girl, and I was afriad that 3 inches of loop would look silly around my face. However, once I started knitting it, I realized that 3 inches isn't too much. Plus, I've made my loops a little smaller. If you decide to forgo the loop stitch, I would recomend doing garter in its place--that way you have the added row, and a bit of extra heft around your face so it doesn't just blow off! As far as BIG, do you mean long, like you want it to come down far on your forhead, or wide, like a big Druid's hood? It seams up along the cast of edge, so I assume that to do wider, you'd add rows, whereas to go longer, you would add width...I think. I'll let you know how big mine is coming out after I get into it more--and I'll post a pic for reference.

KellyK
04-29-2005, 12:09 PM
What technique are you using for the loop st?

mascarasnake
04-29-2005, 03:30 PM
The instructions for loop stitch that came with the pattern were difficult to understand, so like jessmoor, I watched Amy's video and I do it like that! I knit one stitch without pulling off the needles, bring the yarn forward, wrap it around my thumb, knit into the stitch I just created, and then pass the previous stitch over. But I thin kit makes more sense when you watch Amy's video ;) . That Amy...

Did you ever get back to your bathroom rug?

KellyK
04-29-2005, 03:46 PM
Ha ha! No. :verysad:

That's why I asked. I dont seem to have fingers long enough, or something, to insert the needle back into the st while that loop is around my thumb! Im a FREAK, I tell you!

I was looking for other techniques....

Amy and her long fingers ARE MOST FABULOUS!

mascarasnake
04-29-2005, 04:34 PM
Boy, I wish I could just sit down with you, because showing you would be so much easier! I often let go of the loop and just kind of pinch it between my fingers or let it hang out while I knit the stitch. Come to thinkof it, I don't think I ever actually still have the loop around my thumb while I knit the stitch. Have you tried other people's instructions besides Amy's? There are several ways of doing it, I believe... Just keep trying! :thumbsup:

KellyK
04-29-2005, 09:09 PM
Well, COME ON OVER! According to my map, Portland is only, like, 8.2 inches away from Chicago!!! :shifty:

mascarasnake
04-30-2005, 03:08 PM
So here'sa picture of the finished hood. I haven't seamed it yet, but I tried to hold it together to show what it will look like. Hopefully this gives you an idea of the finished hood size, jessmoor! Now I have to put the dang thing together...

jessmoor
05-02-2005, 12:47 AM
Your hood looks great! I think I will just do what it says for loop stitch, cuz it looks good ;) . I might cast on a couple extra stitches (and change the total number for each row accordingly) to make it a bit wider, but it looks pretty big so that might not be necessary. I'm done with both sides, so I'll be starting that next... I can't wait till its done! :happydance: Hopefully I'll have pics up soon.....

Kelly, about the loop stitch - I actually use my right thumb for the loop, and since I have to use both my thumbs to hold the needles, the loop slides down to the edge of my fingernail, against the needle, so its pretty small. I've thought about trying to use small clips to hold the loop if I wanted to make the loops as small as possible, but that would be more time consuming I think. Anyway, I always think its interesting to play around with techniques! :)

mascarasnake
05-03-2005, 01:14 AM
Yay! I'm done! I seamed the whole dang thing up and boy, jessmoor, the hood is pretty huge--you'll be fine! Ten balls of yarn exactly--I got close...whew! I'll post pics tomorrow--bedtime here :zzz: ...

KellyK
05-03-2005, 07:41 AM
I LOVE YOUR LOOPS!!!! :inlove: :( :inlove:

I have GOT to figure those things out! Maybe Ill ask at my LYS.....maybe Hilde will show me.....maybe the loop st fairy will visit me during the night and I will awaken refreshed and with the knowledge I desired. Maybe I shouldnt just keep typing all the weird phrases that pop into my head... :??

mascarasnake
05-03-2005, 05:41 PM
Thanks, KellyK! I'll try to see if I can take pictures as a mini-tutorial for you...

mascarasnake
05-03-2005, 10:14 PM
As promised, photos!
(enjoy the silly model faces.)

KellyK
05-04-2005, 12:39 AM
You and your model faces
:happydance: Im...too sexy for my poncho.....too sexy for my poncho...the way Im making faces! :happydance:
are MOST FABULOUS!

HeatherFeather
05-09-2005, 12:14 PM
joanns.com is having a sale on the patton's yarn. So I snagged up enough for the poncho. Now "I" get to be the mailman stalker!!!! lol....

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-09-2005, 06:24 PM
Nice job mascarasnake! Looks great!

HeatherFeather
05-14-2005, 08:43 PM
Got my yarn today....I'm almost done with the loops...YOUCH...my hands HURT....plus I was impatient and am working on my straight needles....wow...what a difference..i keep bumping into the chair I am working in.... If I can find my size 8 circs to finish, i think I am going to do that....the pattern isn't written very well (WHY do they do that???) so maybe that's why the more advanced rating on the pattern??? When I get into writing patterns, I am going to be VERY specific!!!

I am on the last row of loops...who'da thunk there'd be so many!!! and hope to get into the pattern part tonight, but I am fading fast, and need to get up early tomorrow.....so, it just might wait TILL tomorrow!!!

HeatherFeather
05-26-2005, 03:29 PM
Ok...so I am at the neck shaping part. I don't want to make a hood, but rather a turtle neck...Ok..I got that part...but the pattern calls for a "V" neck....my question is....do I decrease equally on each side to get to the required numbered stitches? I think this is what I need to do...??? and should I continue with the shoulder shaping? pattern is at the beginning of the thread, and I am at the "neck shaping" part.

HeatherFeather
05-28-2005, 09:27 AM
I had to call Nana!!! :) And she suggested that I do exactlywhat I did!!! whoohoo...I actually MAY BE getting this knitting thing. I have somewhere I want to wear it next week, so I should be go to go this weekend knitting up the other side, and then the neck!!! :)

ekgheiy
05-28-2005, 02:03 PM
Ok...so I am at the neck shaping part. I don't want to make a hood, but rather a turtle neck...Ok..I got that part...but the pattern calls for a "V" neck....my question is....do I decrease equally on each side to get to the required numbered stitches? I think this is what I need to do...??? and should I continue with the shoulder shaping? pattern is at the beginning of the thread, and I am at the "neck shaping" part.BUMP!! Hey Mascara, care to chime in :mrgreen:

mascarasnake
06-01-2005, 01:05 AM
(mascarasnake runs into room) *pant pant pant* Oops! :oops: Sorry, I've been gone! umm...shuffle....shuffle... Bad mascaranake, bad!

Heather Feather, I'm sorry I've been a bad KAL-er. I've been away from the KH for a while... :verysad: Can you forgive me?

It sounds like by now you've already figured everything out, but if not, let me know. So sorry!

mascarasnake
06-14-2005, 04:51 PM
Any news, jessmoor? I'd love to see yours...

How's it going, HeatherFeather?

HeatherFeather
07-08-2005, 09:29 PM
yep...done!!! done so well...a friend wants me to make one for her MIL!!!!!! :)

I didn't do the hood, and just picked up the stitches, and it is PERFECT!! I have a nice turtleneck that I can pull up to my ears if need be!!! :)

THANKS for all your help!!! :)

When the digi camera gets batteries....i'll post a picture :)