PDA

View Full Version : Booga Bag question

foothills
03-31-2005, 02:08 PM
I recently began on the pattern for the Booga Bag and it seems to be smaller than pictured and I'd love to make it a bit larger...has anyone knitted this bag larger than called for in the pattern and if so, how many skeins of Noro did it take and how many stitches did you cast on and pick up for the bottom? Of course, I'd have to start over again, but I hate to put so much work in it, felt and then not be happy with the size.

I almost panicked this morning...couldn't get this website to open...can't imagine life without it!! Thank heavens it came alive again :cheering:

Joyce

ekgheiy
03-31-2005, 02:32 PM
I recently began on the pattern for the Booga Bag and it seems to be smaller than pictured and I'd love to make it a bit larger...has anyone knitted this bag larger than called for in the pattern and if so, how many skeins of Noro did it take and how many stitches did you cast on and pick up for the bottom? Of course, I'd have to start over again, but I hate to put so much work in it, felt and then not be happy with the size.

I almost panicked this morning...couldn't get this website to open...can't imagine life without it!! Thank heavens it came alive again :cheering:

Joyce

Sorry I can't answer your Booga question ... BUT I too couldn't get into KH this morning.!!! :shock: I was like WTF!!!!!! :evil: I felt so ... well ... what's the word? ... LOST, without my morning does of KH! :cry:

***whew*** I thought I might have to get violent with this PC to get any results... :rofling:

KellyK
03-31-2005, 02:37 PM
I almost panicked this morning...couldn't get this website to open...can't imagine life without it!! Thank heavens it came alive again :cheering: Joyce

I too couldn't get into KH this morning.!!! :shock: I was like WTF!!!!!! :evil: I felt so ... well ... what's the word? ... LOST, without my morning does of KH! :cry:

***whew*** I thought I might have to get violent with this PC to get any results... :rofling:

:shock: ME TOO!!!! :shock:

foothills
03-31-2005, 02:40 PM
I think we need to get Amy's address just in case we all have to move to her house in the event all of the world's computers crash :rofling:

JessicaSant
03-31-2005, 02:47 PM
I've made two Booga bags --
* one according to the pattern
* one a bit bigger (I haven't finished the icord for this one, so I haven't shrunk it -- and have since gotten distracted with other proejcts. When I get home I'll see if I can find it and count the stitches that I did for the base and around.

foothills
03-31-2005, 02:50 PM
Thanks...I'm making it for my daughter-in-law and it appears to be a bit too tiny to suit me!

Joyce

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-31-2005, 02:59 PM
I'm making a booga now too, and it IS smaller... but the ones my IRL friends have completed look to be a decent size. I don't think it woul dbe a big deal to make it bigger... cast on more for the bottom, make it a little longer... pick up and knit 150 rows instead of 100... Just need to experiment. If I try this next time I make one I will knit the bottom in something besides noro, and probablly the icord too, just because it's so expensive (someone else on KH suggested this, :doh: why didn't i think of that!)

kimmie
03-31-2005, 03:15 PM
Just a word about I-cord and felted purses. I have made scads of felted purses - not that I ever use them.... I give them as gifts, and/or just collect them...it's a disease I tell you....

Anyway, I have done both I-cords and twisted cords and I like both for different reasons, but twisted cords go much much faster. Also, while I adore the striping of the Kureyon yarn on the body of the bag, I really don't like the long stretch of colors on the cord, using this yarn. With the twisted cord I get all of the colors twisted up together and I love that look for this particular bag. It took me 5 minutes to do the twisted cord, whereas the I-cord would have taken me ages.
:) kimmie

foothills
03-31-2005, 03:30 PM
I've frogged it....I'll also wait on Kimmie's ideas for the cast on...I just hate picking up stitches!! Also, how do you do the twisted handle?

Joyce

foothills
03-31-2005, 03:32 PM
I meant to say I'd wait on Jessica's pattern for the cast on for a larger bag...

Joyce

kimmie
03-31-2005, 04:19 PM
I think Hilde's plan is a good one.

Twisted cord instructions:
Okay. First determine how many yards (or feet or whatever) of cord you want to wind up with and multiply that by 8.

So, for example, if you want to end up with 2 yards of cord, you multiply 2x8=16.

Take that number and pull that amount of yarn out of your skein. So, in my example, I'd pull out 16 YARDS of continuous yarn.

Fold that in half (now I have 8 yards).

Fold it in half again (now I have 4 yards).

Tie a knot at one end.

Secure the knotted end somewhere. Either have somebody who loves you dearly hold one end, or place it over a hook. It doesn't really matter how you secure it, but you just don't want that end to move.

Now, holding the other end, stand across the room from the secured end and twist, twist, twist, twist (yawn) twist, twist a whole bunch. Keep doing this until the yarn is quite twisted. You can do this more or less to your liking.

When you feel it has twisted enough, match up your end to the secured end and the cord should twist and double over itself. Sometimes at this point you have to kind of help it along to make it all even. Don't let go of your end or everything will untwist.

If you are happy with the way the cord (rope) looks, then tie both of the ends together in one bigger knot (the secured end & the end you were holding). Now you should have about a 2 yard cord.

I have felted the cords (as I did for the Booga Bag) or used them unfelted. Whatever you like!

Hopefully that made sense. After all that explaining, I wonder if Amy already has a video up or something that would make that even more clear.

Good luck!
kimmie

foothills
03-31-2005, 04:28 PM
For Hilde's plan, how many stitches would I initially cast on to end up with 150 stitches in the round? I'm a :doh: when it comes to some things ;) and at this point (after frogging), I just want to get it done!

Thanks for the twisted handle directions...I'll use it on the bag.

Joyce

foothills
03-31-2005, 04:37 PM
Man...PMS has me big time...I mean to say, HOW MANY STITCHES SHOULD I CAST ON INITIALLY SO THE 150 ROWS will end up with a normal appearance?!!

ekgheiy
03-31-2005, 05:03 PM
Man...PMS has me big time...I mean to say, HOW MANY STITCHES SHOULD I CAST ON INITIALLY SO THE 150 ROWS will end up with a normal appearance?!!

Did you know you could edit your posts? :mrgreen: The edit up is next to the quote button. ;)

foothills
03-31-2005, 05:05 PM
Are you kidding...I've just learned how to post the emoticons :lol: Thanks...I'll edit from hereafter!

ekgheiy
03-31-2005, 05:14 PM
Are you kidding...I've just learned how to post the emoticons :lol:

:rofl:

beldaraan
04-01-2005, 01:29 AM
This is my first time doing a thorough scan through the forums since yesterday...or maybe it was the day before that. I can't remember. That translates to being too long without kh.com.

On the editing note, I wouldn't edit a post with information in it if someone else has already posted after you. That just gets confusing.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-01-2005, 01:50 AM
For Hilde's plan, how many stitches would I initially cast on to end up with 150 stitches in the round?

OMGGGG I know I posted an answer to this.... somewhere! Where'd it go???? DARN and I did whole load of math, too! Anyway, the short version is, CO 51 stitches, knit for 51 rows, then pick up stitches all around (34, 51, 34, 51) and knit 150 rows int he round... that should make it proprotionally bigger (50% bigger) all around.

kemp
04-02-2005, 04:38 PM
I think Hilde's plan is a good one.

Twisted cord instructions:
Okay. First determine how many yards (or feet or whatever) of cord you want to wind up with and multiply that by 8.

So, for example, if you want to end up with 2 yards of cord, you multiply 2x8=16.

Take that number and pull that amount of yarn out of your skein. So, in my example, I'd pull out 16 YARDS of continuous yarn.

Fold that in half (now I have 8 yards).

Fold it in half again (now I have 4 yards).

Tie a knot at one end.

Secure the knotted end somewhere. Either have somebody who loves you dearly hold one end, or place it over a hook. It doesn't really matter how you secure it, but you just don't want that end to move.

Now, holding the other end, stand across the room from the secured end and twist, twist, twist, twist (yawn) twist, twist a whole bunch. Keep doing this until the yarn is quite twisted. You can do this more or less to your liking.

When you feel it has twisted enough, match up your end to the secured end and the cord should twist and double over itself. Sometimes at this point you have to kind of help it along to make it all even. Don't let go of your end or everything will untwist.

If you are happy with the way the cord (rope) looks, then tie both of the ends together in one bigger knot (the secured end & the end you were holding). Now you should have about a 2 yard cord.

I have felted the cords (as I did for the Booga Bag) or used them unfelted. Whatever you like!

Hopefully that made sense. After all that explaining, I wonder if Amy already has a video up or something that would make that even more clear.

Good luck!
kimmie

That's awesome! Thanks for the instructions...seems much faster than i-cord! Does it look similar to the i-cord once it is felted?

kemp
04-02-2005, 04:40 PM
For Hilde's plan, how many stitches would I initially cast on to end up with 150 stitches in the round?

OMGGGG I know I posted an answer to this.... somewhere! Where'd it go???? DARN and I did whole load of math, too! Anyway, the short version is, CO 51 stitches, knit for 51 rows, then pick up stitches all around (34, 51, 34, 51) and knit 150 rows int he round... that should make it proprotionally bigger (50% bigger) all around.

If you do find that post I would love to see it. I think the Booga is going to be my next one, but I would want it bigger. By the way, what's the deal with knitting twisted stitches with the Booga pattern? What does that even mean :?? ? Does it make a difference?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-02-2005, 05:02 PM
I don't know!!!! that's a good questions... I would think that if you continuously knit a twisted stitch in the round, it would just keep twisting on itself and eventually be super tight; I'm a tight knitter anyway, so I just did regular knit stitches.

kimmie
04-02-2005, 06:25 PM
[quote="what's the deal with knitting twisted stitches with the Booga pattern? What does that even mean :?? ? Does it make a difference?[/quote]

I didn't bother with twisted stitches and mine turned out fine.
kimmie

knitqueen
04-03-2005, 04:47 PM
I'm excited about trying this pattern. I'm a fairly new knitter, only started a few months ago, but I've completed lots of projects, including a few sweaters, and would like to try something else. I have a few questions....

~Can I use any wool with this pattern or does it need to be a certain gauge (or are all wools about the same gauge?) or is gauge not all that important in this pattern??

~Would it be possible to make this bag with straight needles instead of circular and have seams down the edges and at the bottom?? Or should I just not be so freakin' nervous about using circulars???? :rollseyes:

amy
04-03-2005, 11:05 PM
:oops: ahh yes, the broken website a few days ago, guess I should have said something about it. There was a serious power outage and the server was down for most of that morning; nothing to be done about it. DH was P'd off at the server company for not spending 10's of thousands on a temporary power supply, like his other server's company did once. I figure, if DH is P'd off, I don't have to be; he can be the one who worries about this stuff. (Bless him.)

Good luck on the Booga bag. If all else fails, hold out for a few weeks: I'm designing a large felted bag pattern. ;)

Amy

Granny Judy
03-19-2007, 02:31 AM
Thank you for the Twisted cord instructions, it was exactly what I was looking for!!!

Granny Judy

cathoo
03-19-2007, 04:29 PM
By the way, what's the deal with knitting twisted stitches with the Booga pattern? What does that even mean :?? ? Does it make a difference?

The twisted stitches are for when you're picking up stitches along the sides. Sometimes, you end up with holes when you pick them up. Twisting them hides the holes. When you go around again, you just knit normally. Some people don't get holes, but I find that I do if I don't twist them.

(I can't seem to find a video on knitting twisted/tbl for you though!)

~Would it be possible to make this bag with straight needles instead of circular and have seams down the edges and at the bottom?? Or should I just not be so freakin' nervous about using circulars????
It's easier on circulars! Once you have all the stitches picked up you just knit and knit (and go completely bonkers with boredom) and then you're done! On straights you'd knit-then-purl a bunch of rows, and then seam

(Look at me! I'm speaking from *experience!* So thrilled!)

dink
03-20-2007, 04:14 PM
From those that have made the bag, how big is it really? In regards to let's say, a small purse, could it fit a wallet/keys/cell phone?

I'd really like to make on to keep some of my yarn/current project in. I'm currently using a small Sak's 5th Avenue bag and it's the perfect size, only it's getting holes in it. :pout:

Has someone come up with the "perfect size" and if so, could you either PM me, or post the pattern instructions? I'm pretty much 99% new to knitting (1st scarf will be done this week), and so I'm not familiar with much yet. :??

Thanks so much!!! :hug:
-Melissa

and also, does it need to be Noro Kureyon brand yarn? Or can it be another type which says can be used for felting?

RuthK
03-20-2007, 04:22 PM
I made one recently and don't have the measurements with me, but it was just about the size stated in the pattern. I'd read so much about how small it was that I was actually surprised it came out as big as it did! Definitely big enough for essentials and maybe a couple of other things -- it's just not a tote or anything like that.

I used KnitPicks Wool of the Andes and it felted wonderfully.

dink
03-20-2007, 04:26 PM
I made one recently and don't have the measurements with me, but it was just about the size stated in the pattern. I'd read so much about how small it was that I was actually surprised it came out as big as it did! Definitely big enough for essentials and maybe a couple of other things -- it's just not a tote or anything like that.

I used KnitPicks Wool of the Andes and it felted wonderfully.

So it's a decent size to hold an average ball of yarn, a small project (like a scarf or something and the needles? I was just trying to get the actual measurements vs. what would all fit. Thanks!

cathoo
03-20-2007, 06:20 PM
So it's a decent size to hold an average ball of yarn, a small project (like a scarf or something and the needles? I was just trying to get the actual measurements vs. what would all fit. Thanks!

Mine has about 8x4 base & 6 inches high (I'm holding an envelope up to it and guessing...) and this weekend it held: my wallet, camera, knitting stuff (yarn, needle, sock), makeup, and phone, with a little room left over.

dink
03-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Mine has about 8x4 base & 6 inches high (I'm holding an envelope up to it and guessing...) and this weekend it held: my wallet, camera, knitting stuff (yarn, needle, sock), makeup, and phone, with a little room left over.

Great! That's perfect. Thanks for the help. I just wanted to know how much stuff you could put in there...ya know? Seems like it would be a great bag to hold your current project if you're not making a blanket or something big.

Thanks again. :hug:

RuthK
03-21-2007, 01:14 PM
You should be fine, I think. Have fun!

dink
03-21-2007, 02:45 PM
You should be fine, I think. Have fun!

I'm really excited to begin this. I'm hoping to get all the supplies over the next couple days. In fact, I just found a new yarn shop which I guess just opened not too long ago that's about 10 minutes from my place! :cheering:

This means no more driving 30 minutes for a decent yarn shop outside of Jo-Ann & Michaels (the selections there are awful & never fully "stocked" :grrr: )

So hopefully I'll get started the next week or so! :happydance: