PDA

View Full Version : i-cord...UGH!

kemp
04-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Sitting here doing an i-cord to finish my first ever project. Is is just me, or does i-cord suck??? :shock:

ekgheiy
04-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Sitting here doing an i-cord to finish my first ever project. Is is just me, or does i-cord suck??? :shock:

I don't know; I've never done one. It looks easy to do though. Have you watched Amy's Video for it in the Advanced Techniques gallery? :??

kemp
04-01-2005, 11:57 AM
yes, I learned from amy's video...its not really difficult, just a pain! :doh:

ekgheiy
04-01-2005, 12:33 PM
yes, I learned from amy's video...its not really difficult, just a pain! :doh:

Oh ... I'll remember that so I can gear up should I need to do one ;)

KellyK
04-01-2005, 12:52 PM
I like making I-Cord. It knits up pretty fast for me....

How many co sts are you using? I find that any more than 4-5 makes it difficult.

kemp
04-01-2005, 01:00 PM
I have five...I don' know why it seems like its taking forever. I think partly it has to do with tension. Sometimes I get it so tight it is difficult to get in the stitch, then it takes me a couple of rows to get it looser, then I have to go a little tighter again so it doesn't make that loop on the back. A vicious cycle! :?? Did I mention I just learned to knit last week? That could be the problem too! It is frustrating though because I knit the whole bag part in front of the TV last night and now it has taken all morning just for the handle. I am making it pretty long though...right now its 47" right now. And...I am felting it and would like to get it in to the washer, which is making me even more impatient! :)

KellyK
04-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Also, using a "stretchy" yarn makes it easier. I had more trouble with the Caron Jewel than I did with the woolease thick n quick.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-01-2005, 04:16 PM
My problem with i-cord is that it just takes freakin forever.

oshnpashn
04-01-2005, 07:26 PM
love the look....but it does take a long time. I did a knitting bag for a friend and the straps were i-cord, 18" each, it seemed to take longer than the whole bag. :XX:

kemp
04-01-2005, 07:30 PM
That was my feeling! It took forever... it was around 52" long. At least I know it's not JUST my "beginnerness".

KellyK
04-01-2005, 07:35 PM

OK - TELL THE TRUTH. After reading this post above, How many of you used a WHINEY/FAKEY voice and said, "Hiii....Im Kelly-K. IIIII liiike making IIII-cooorrrdd. Iiiiittt knits up faaast for meeeEEEEEeeeee! blyah blyah blyaaaah!!!!" And then gave me the raspberries!?!?!

I just realized that I may have sounded a bit JERKY. :oops:

kemp
04-01-2005, 07:56 PM
haha yes, way jerky!!!! Just kidding. Can't wait until I say that.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-01-2005, 09:51 PM

OK - TELL THE TRUTH. After reading this post above, How many of you used a WHINEY/FAKEY voice and said, "Hiii....Im Kelly-K. IIIII liiike making IIII-cooorrrdd. Iiiiittt knits up faaast for meeeEEEEEeeeee! blyah blyah blyaaaah!!!!" And then gave me the raspberries!?!?!

I just realized that I may have sounded a bit JERKY. :oops:

Oh yeah I totally did that. I even pranced around the computer room doing my imitation of the prissy KK walk. hee hee hee j/k!

KellyK
04-01-2005, 10:26 PM
I DO have a prissy walk. :verysad:

gardenia
04-03-2005, 01:31 AM
:rofling: need I say more?

VictoiseC
04-04-2005, 01:45 PM
`When I first read this I hadn't tried an I cord. Now I'm stitting here staring at about 4 rows wondering if it's worth going on.
Ijust finished a DARLING little bag, done in the most unusual stitch I have ever encountered or MASTERED in my life!

It's so cool It's called jewels or something but they look like half bobbles. I'll do a pic later. I was doing a swatch with some cheesy orange acrylic yarn just to see how it looked and it

I'm getting off subject. It the bag looks great but why bother why the Icord? Why not just do a strap?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?????? tell me that Kelly K who LIKES doing Icord........ :inlove:

VictoiseC
04-04-2005, 01:50 PM
Um, is ... which side is the right side out? When you sew it on?
The side where you can see those stitches going across? Like is that part of it, the design....

KellyK
04-04-2005, 03:40 PM
It the bag looks great but why bother why the Icord? Why not just do a strap?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?????? tell me that Kelly K who LIKES doing Icord........ :inlove:
It's all about preference, Vic....if you would rather have a flat strap, than you should have a flat strap. I like I-cord because it's round & I think it looks "professional" or something, and I get the feeling its a bit more "sturdy".

I would turn the "line" toward the inside of the work, but again, I think it's all about preference.

VictoiseC
04-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Yes I agree Kelly. It does look professional and upon stretching it and pulling at it I saw how it was very sturdy.

But! I decided to abandon it for the little bag I made. The bag has sort of a bobble look and I tried crocheting two strands held together on a big crochet hook. It actually went with the bag better, that crochet look. Geez, it took about 10 minutes to make a long strap as opposed to the time-consuming I cord. But I'm glad I learned how to make an I cord & will use it most definitely.

Oh, I also found you don't really see the 'lines', that first stitch Amy advised us to pull tight, IF you pull it tight. Tricky part is not getting the whole darn thing tight.

okey doke.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-04-2005, 09:31 PM
i did icord for the KH monthly challege with super bulky acrylic and size 15 dpns... it went super fast! Now i just have to find the same yarn in 100%wool, and icord will be my new favo thing!

VictoiseC
04-05-2005, 10:51 AM
This morning I tried I cord again for another little mohair bag. I had done a flat strap for this one and It didn't look right. The I cord looks super in this mohair, doing it on little size 3 dpns and it's gorgeous and just perfect for this bag.

So, I like it after all!
:inlove:

Julie
04-05-2005, 10:58 AM
I haven't done an i-cord yet....still need to get my hands on some DPNs....but I watched the video, and I have a question! When she knits the first stitch in the row, it looks like she wraps the yarn around the needle or something first...what's up with that?? Some secret trick that I was never taught?

KellyK
04-05-2005, 11:31 AM
I think that's just Amy's personal technique for making that first stitch tight...