PDA

View Full Version : circular needle length question?

lisak
04-07-2005, 02:11 PM
I am about to start a scarf pattern and I just looked at my circular needle and I am not sure if all the stitches will fit. :thinking:

The pattern calls for Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Superchunky, but I am substituting with Temptation (i can't afford DB, so my LYS suggested this). And I am supposed to cast on 145 stitches on a size 11. I've got the size 11 in a 24" length. Will this work? The pattern doesn't specifiy a length, and I thought the 24 would work, but looking at it now I'm not sure. I'm going to give it a try, but how do you eyeball this kind of thing? I want to make sure I buy the proper length next time the pattern doesn't specify.

THANKS!

Julie
04-07-2005, 02:27 PM
Look at the gauge on the pattern and do a little math....i.e. if it says 16 st=4" in the pattern, then you know that at 4 stitches per inch, you'd need about 37 inches or so....a little less would probably work fine.

I just learned that yesterday. I was like, "Darn pattern doesn't tell me the finished dimensions..." and my mother said, "um, did you look at the gauge and multiply it?" :doh:

perced
04-07-2005, 02:35 PM
I have fit that many stitches with a double strand on the #13 29".

lisak
04-07-2005, 02:56 PM
DOH! :rollseyes:

Thanks for pointing that out Julie!

It seems to be going well so far, so I'll just have to wait and see.

THANKS!

benniesma
04-08-2005, 10:02 AM
Double DOH! :doh:

I always wondered why they didn't give the length of the circular needle in patterns. Now I feel SO stupid! Why couldn't I think of that? At least I'm happy that I wasn't alone!