PDA

View Full Version : Stitch Markers?? Row Counters??

bekahdrmom
07-01-2005, 04:46 PM
Okay, I know there will be a toooon of chuckles and all out screams of laughter at this question...but bear with me. I'm new to knitting. I actually taught myself to knit from this website. (I use that verrrry loosely as I pretty much only know how to make the basic scarf, and still need reminders on the cast-on/bind-off.) Anyway, what on earth are stitch markers and row counters? I'm assuming they're for following a pattern, which I'd like to learn how to do. And until hearing about counters/markers, that seemed like a really daunting endeavor. That and learning all the abbreviations. There should be some college course for knitting :lol:

Nuno930
07-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Don't worry, they both scared the &^%$ out of me at first too. A row counter is just to keep track of what row you are on. It is (usually) just a clicker (like for running when you run indoors on a track)

Stitch markers are used when you just need a reminder in your pattern. Kind of like "Hey dummy... you need to make a decrease here"

kemp
07-01-2005, 05:00 PM
Hi Bek

Also stitch marker sometimes mark the center or every 20 st etc. I would rather have a pattern say "knit within 2 of the marker" than "knit 108 then..." I just can't keep track for that long! Or you can use them to help you with the counting part...like put them every 20 stitches or so when casting on 200 stitches. That way if you get lost you don't have to count the whole thing over!

Nuno930
07-01-2005, 05:06 PM
just can keep track for that long! Or you can use them to help you with the counting part...like put them every 20 stitches or so when casting on 200 stitches.
You know I just learned that trick a few months ago... sometimes my stupidity amazes me

kemp
07-01-2005, 05:10 PM
:roflhard: Your brain is probably just filled with too much really important stuff to think of something so mundane as a counting assistant.