PDA

View Full Version : knitpicks question

amp926
07-03-2005, 12:22 AM
I have felted with Knitpicks WOTA and I am very pleased with the results. Has anyone felted with Knitpicks Merino Style? Does it felt different from WOTA? :thinking:

I am only asking because Merino Style has some really pretty colors and I have been in this felting phase! ;)

Thanks for your help!

rebecca
07-03-2005, 09:08 AM
;) I am very interested in the answer to that question... :thinking: I had been wondering the same thing, because of the colors, they are splendid in merino. I've heard that someone did and had great results, but, my apologies, don't remember who it was or what was felted... :doh: !
BUT, I suppose the good part of what I remember is that she said it went well... :lol:

KellyK
07-03-2005, 11:23 AM
:o HILLLLLLLDIEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Im fairly sure she has.....

amp926
07-03-2005, 01:05 PM
I like how WOTA doesn't get too fuzzy and I like how thick it felts. I have heard that some yarns felt more "flimsy" than others. I'm hoping that Merino Style will be just as sturdy! ;)

:waving: Hilde where are you? :oo:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-03-2005, 08:28 PM
SOWWWWYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! we had a garage sale fri and saturday and i was going nutty getting everything ready: i have neglected KH! :shock:

I have to post some pictures! I just felted two bags, one with merino and the other with WOTA. I *LOVE* how the merino came out and I thought the WOTA was sturdier but REALLY FUZZY!!!!! Let me go take some pics.....

amp926
07-03-2005, 08:35 PM
I can't wait to see pictures!!!!! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Okay here's pictures.

The first pics are the merino bag: green snd purple (actually the lilac and asparagus, if you want to be technical).The bottom was 34sts X 50ish rows, and the top is 170ish sts around and 100ish rows. the "A" is hard to see in the pics, but it DID turn out after felting: I might use a triple strand next time to make it stick out a bit more. The sparkle and fun fur were the customer's request (and i think they look great! i used a double strand of sparkle and a triple strand of fun fur)

The next set are the WOTA bag: I used cherry blossom and daffodil. I kind of had some free time during the yard sale, so I started this bag yesterday around noon and knitted ALLLLLLLLL day until DH made me go to bed around 1am... then knitted more this morning from 9-12 when I finished. AND *yay me* this is my first experience with colorwork. I decided "hey i'm going to felt it, so if it looks icky, who cares?" I just made up the pattern, and thankfully it worked out with the number of stitches I picked up for the top (which I didn't count) . and :cheering: KK :cheering: helped me figure out how to CO with 2 colors on the phone on Saturday night :inlove: MUAH :inlove:

SO.
the merino (green, purple) is very soft, flexible, and non-fuzzy. It was also easier to stretch and block after felting. It took 3 washings.
the WOTA (red, yellow) is VERY sturdy, but REALLY fuzzy!!! This was after only 1 washing, and I might wash it one more time to make it tighter.

One more thing: the merino shrank a LOT more in width than in length (you can see in the before and after pics). The WOTA shrank equally all the way around, and the top part where the color work is shrank in more than the bottom part b/c even thought i was *trying* to strand the colors loosely, it was still too tight. BUT i :heart: LOVE :heart: how it turned out anyway.

Okay let's get these pics up! Oh and there's a cheesy one of ME, too, with both bags :-)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-03-2005, 09:09 PM
poo! i didn't realize they were so blurry. I'll have to fix and resize or take new ones later. sorry!!!

amp926
07-03-2005, 09:33 PM
Hilde, they look so pretty! I love the pink and yellow one! You did such a good job! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: And you did it all in about a day! That makes it even more impressive! ;)

I think that I am going to give the merino style a try. My only concern is the sturdiness of it, because I am going to try it out on a purse.

Did you say that you used a double strand throughout the bag for the WOTA bag? :thinking:

Thank you sooooo much for your help! :thumbsup:

amp926
07-03-2005, 09:34 PM
ps. I love your big bags!

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Nuno930
07-04-2005, 12:08 AM
Your bags are not as big as I thought they would be :thinking:

LisaD715
07-04-2005, 12:22 AM
Hilde...LOVE the bags!!! They turned out so beautifully!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-04-2005, 12:52 AM
Lisa, thank you thank you!

Nuno, my bags are *much* bigger in person.

Amp, I used a double strand on both bags throughout. I think the merino makes a much nicer bag, but you're right about being concerned about the sturdiness. I think I might experiment with a WOTA bottom, and merino for the top... I'm not sure how the differences in weight will affect the felting, though. Time for a test swatch!

foothills
07-04-2005, 09:37 AM
Hilde...both of the bags are gorgeous...you did a great job and should be very proud of them :cheering:

Joyce

KellyK
07-04-2005, 11:41 AM
I can tell you all RIGHT NOW....Hildie is QUITE self-satisfied and may even be ROLLING ON THE FLOOR with all this talk of her BEAUTIFUL BIG BAGS. :rollseyes:

If you dont want to encourage her, you will start calling them TOTES or PURSES or CARRY-ALLS or something!

Hild....THEY look GREAT! (Your BAGS AND YOUR bags! :shifty: ) That colorwork you did with the WOTA is AMAZING! :shock: Who's the knitting queen NOW??? YOU ARE! YOU ARE!!!! :cheering:

And, again, I cant get OVER how skinny you are getting! How am I even gonna RECOGNIZE you on the 23rd??? Maybe THAT's why your bags arent as big as Nik thought they would be?? :thinking:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-04-2005, 12:01 PM
Thanks joyce!!!!

KK, i'm so glad you're my friend :sunny: hopefully you'll recognize me enough to go "DAMN baby!"

Amp, I wanted to point out something else: in the pic of my big bags )hehe) you can see how floppy the bottom of the green bag is; the bottom of the WOTA red/yellow bag doesn't sag at ALL.

KellyK
07-04-2005, 12:17 PM
KK, i'm so glad you're my friend :sunny: hopefully you'll recognize me enough to go "DAMN baby!"
Yup....Ill even try to pick you up :eyebrow: if that'll make you feel special! :inlove:

you can see how floppy the bottom of the green bag is.
BAHHHHHHHHHH HA HA HAAAAAAAAA! Hildie's got FLOPPY GREEN BAGS!!!
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-04-2005, 12:23 PM
ANYWAY, before this topic turns into another "Hildie and Kelly Show" (sing that to the tune of "itchy and scratchy") Amp, did we answer your question?

KellyK
07-04-2005, 12:27 PM
But I LIKE the Hildie and Kelly show! :verysad:

Yeah....I suppose we should make sure that Amp had her question answered......

Silver
07-04-2005, 12:53 PM
Those are awesome Hildie!!! :cheering: I LOVE the colorwork!

Carol_OH
07-04-2005, 01:26 PM
Great bags, Hildie!

Hey, did anyone see the cool "Weekend Getaway Satchel" in the fall 20005 Interweave Knits!? Yowza - I gotta try that one one of these years! :D

:XX:

amp926
07-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Thank you so much Hilde for sharing your big flopy green bags with all of us. :roflhard: :roflhard: But all joking aside, you did answer my question.

I think that I am going to give the Merino Style a try just to see how I like it! And by the way, I love how the WOTA bag turned out. Goodjob! :cheering:

.... I have never seen you in person, but just by looking at your pictures from the "hilde and kellyk fun day" a while back and seeing your picture now.... you look amazing, I can definatly tell you are sheding some lbs! Congraduations! Now if only I could find some motivation! :??

Rennagayle
07-06-2005, 09:50 AM
Between my mil's recent passing, and subsequent houseguests, I've not been here in awhile, so I'm curious-Hildie, how're you losing all that weight? :shock: I can certainly tell you're slimmer than you were in the Hildie & Kelly Show (or was that the Kelly & Hildie Show? :?? ).

You look FANTASTIC, and so do your bags....um....all four of them. :thumbsup: :rofling:

amy
07-06-2005, 12:01 PM
...I've not been here in awhile, so I'm curious-Hildie, how're you losing all that weight? :shock: I can certainly tell you're slimmer than you were in the Hildie & Kelly Show (or was that the Kelly & Hildie Show? :?? ).

You look FANTASTIC...

I second that Hildie!!! :shock: You look GREAT! Way to go! :thumbsup:

Love the colorwork on that 2nd bag! Nice work!!!

Great to hear a report on felting the merino, I've been wondering about that possibility....:thinking:

I :heart: the Kelly & Hildie show! Best show EVER!!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-06-2005, 12:33 PM
thank you thank you!

the secret to my weight loss is multi-facated:
1.) I quit smoking at the same time I started dieting, so that I couldn't screw up one with the other (this really was key--I couldn't lose weight or quit smoking for good any other time b/c I'd eat instead of smoke and smoke instead of eat, so rather than gain weight or get lung cancer I just stopped quiitting or dieting *sigh*)
2.) I made a conscious effort to get rid of the junk food, and try to eat high fiber, low-carb, low-fat stuff only. I went from going to McDs at least twice weekly to a complete fast food FAST for 5 months. When I hit the 40 pound mark I did get a turkey BLT thing from McDs and decided it wasn't all that. That's the only fast food experience I've had since December.
3.) I drink about 2 gallons of liquid a day (see discussion on this (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2214&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60) thread) , in some combination of green-tea lemonade, crystal light, and water, PLUS a daily glass of milk for calcium.
4.) I'm taking a prescription appetite-suppressant (phentermine) and seeing a doctor WEEKLY for check-ups, weigh-ins, etc, and the people there are SO NICE and supportive, besides getting B12 shots in the butt every other week, and taking a multi-vitamin.
5.) My monthly bloodwork showed that I have hypothyroidism, so I've been taking levoxylthorine for that--that's made a BIG difference, too. The phentermine made a difference in the beginning, giving me energy to exercise and making me SO THIRSTY i had to drink lots of water... but the thyroid medicine has literally shaved nearly 15 pounds off me in the last month.
6.) Saving grace: Blue Bunny sugar-free fudgesicles!!!!!!!!!
7.) I exercise every day. and i hate every grueling sweaty second of it, but I know I need to do it, otherwise I'll be a big hangy saggy skin flap with no muscle tone. I do *not* want to have any type of surgery to remove anything ever (not, fat, extra skin, babies, organs, etc)
8.) I have an awesome support team in my doctor, my mom, my DH, KK, and all of you guys cheering me on!