07-06-2005, 01:40 PM
"It was on sale"

"I knit every day. How often do you use the power tools in the basement?"

"Oh that box? Its a back order."

"Because I'm an addict."

"Because I'm insane."

Silver
07-06-2005, 01:43 PM
me: I bought yarn. YOU bought a motorcycle. THEN you bought a new car.

dh: ...

me: See? I could still buy like $30,000 worth of MORE yarn. But unlike you, *I* can control myself.
:twisted:

Nuno930
07-06-2005, 01:44 PM
If my DH ever dare challenge me on any purchase the conversation is always the same:
DH: Do you really need another (purse,. shoes, yarn, outfit...)?
Me: I gave birth to your child, and stay at home with her.
DH: Want 2?

brendajos
07-06-2005, 01:44 PM
i do it by not getting married ...lol

rebecca
07-06-2005, 01:45 PM
;) Honey, I don't know what to say, other than....work that magic ;) . I've been married for 16 years & my husband buys me knitting stuff all of the time, as well as various other surprises (jewelry last week) all of the time. You just have to ..... treat your husband as you want to be treated (not saying that you don't)....or, perhaps, no...I DO have an exceptional husband. He has his hobbies of which I support him in 100% and he does the same with me. and....work that ;) magic :notworthy: .......

BinkyKat
07-06-2005, 02:04 PM
LOL, too funny!
DH and I have sort of a Fred and Ethel relationship some say...
Actually, we are both such "High Volume, Low Storage Capacity" hobbyists that truly, there is no argument. I love our banter, "yeahbut,yeahbut,yeahbut..."
Unfortunately I can't use the "I bore your child" loophole since we both agree that we can't have kids as there is no room in our little house. Although, has anyone noticed that the most incredible meals come from a tiny kitchen? LOL
I love when he gets his toys, or spends $30 at his R/C flying club meeting and wins a $20 part or piece for a plane, it keeps him occupied! I bring my knitting to his fun flys... it's a good time... I get to sit like a queen on the non-spectator side of the flight line under a nice canopy and "keep an eye" on his stuff, and knit my little heart out! I learn a lot about ailerons and glow plugs, sip cool drinks and life is grand! My MIL (an angel!) became a airplane enthusiast thru my FIL and they go to watch the big birds at Oshkosh WI every year for their anniversary. I admire spouses that develop and interest in their better half's hobbies... Men that are quilting hubbies for some of my gal pals here are just sexy don't you think?
So, then, that leads me to inquire? What hobbies do our signficant others enjoy? (and I'm not talking just spouses, I mean to be PC here of course!)
Mine likes remote control boats, cars, planes, water skiing (especially so now he has a boat), and wife chasing... (animal! :shock: )
Mine is close to the suprise factor... lol He tells me all the time he luvs me and once in a while says "maybe i should get you flowers and stuff more often" He just hasn't quite gotten to the "just go and do it instead of talkin' about it part" apparently! LOL :roflhard:

Carol_OH
07-06-2005, 02:29 PM
this thread is cracking me up! :lol: :lol: :lol:

My DH is also a 'stuff' person, so he doesn't have room to complain about me! When he dragged a huge metal "John Hancock" signature across the country when we got married and he relocated here - well, I cannot top that!

*thinking we'll make some sort of garden trellis with it!*

:D :

MaryS
07-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Hi,
This is a wonderful thread!

Binkykat, my S. O. is a recently retired (3 weeks ago) school teacher. Even after teaching American History for 38 years Dan still loves it, especially French & Indian and Revolutionary war re-enacting. In addition to building reproduction flint lock rifles he also does bead work and quill work for ammunition bags and finger weaving for sashes and leg gaiters. Last night he was redesigning the neck and sleeve ruffles on one of his handmade linen shirts. It's kind of fun to be asked for advice on sewing and embroidery. Of course he also has a 3 pounder revolutionary war cannon in the family room which travels to various historical events around the Midwest and East.

He's always interested in my knitting especially when I'm doing cables and you can really see the texture 'pop out'. Last week he bought me "At Knit's End" by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. The subtitle is: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much. We've both had lots of laughs reading this and it helps a non-knitter to understand a little more about knitting obsession!! Of course, the cannon can always be used as a great defense whenever he thinks I'm a little too obsessed.

Mary

Ingrid
07-06-2005, 03:39 PM
Hi,
This is a wonderful thread!

Last week he bought me "At Knit's End" by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. The subtitle is: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much. We've both had lots of laughs reading this and it helps a non-knitter to understand a little more about knitting obsession!! Of course, the cannon can always be used as a great defense whenever he thinks I'm a little too obsessed.

Mary

I copied several pages of this book and put them on the fridge. This way my family knows I'm not the only one!

BinkyKat
07-06-2005, 03:46 PM
Cool! Hobbies on large scale! Gotta love it :heart: :heart:
Fargo has a Black Powder group that does re-enactments here. I can't imagine the work that goes into authentically portraying what was everyday life before all our conveniences. Honestly, I think it's harder to do things the old fashioned way now... I'd like to see someone rebuild the Pyramids using the same methods ancient people did!
I call matt's (dh) paraphernalia he hauls for RC cars his "diaper bag" :roflhard: One time he found going to a friends wedding at the lake the perfect opportunity to gather followers to his hobby by loading up his tote box of stuff into the trunk... in case any of the guys wants something to do at the reception. I really laugh at the fun fly's when a storm cloud dares to blow by and rain a little, away go the planes into protective cover and out come the RC cars... these fellas can't be without something for a minute!
I have a book "The Knitter's Gift" that has some funny and heartwarming stories involving knitting and have read several out loud to matt while on trips and he chuckles right along with me :D
I am anxious to see what everbody has to say...hopefully a lot reply!
Ta!

LisaD715
07-06-2005, 04:22 PM
If my DH ever dare challenge me on any purchase the conversation is always the same:
DH: Want 2?

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

YOU are MY HERO!!!!!! lol

In all seriousness.....I am currently in the process of leaving a 16 year relationship, and can honestly say that I have bought or been given all my kintting (crafting for that matter) objects. He never showed any interest, even though I supported his ball playing for YEARS, still would if he still played. Unfortunately, they way he works his job, it doesn't leave much time for him to have a hobby, although he loves sports and watches every chance he gets. I would always watch with, but kept my hands occupied at the same time..... ;)

koolbreeze
07-06-2005, 05:03 PM
my dh better not say anything... its either crafts/hobbies or something eles. you know what they say about idle hands!! :fingerwag: he gets on me every once in a while. but now that he isn't around from the time i get up til i go to bed he better be glad thats ALL i'm doing. ;)

Aby
07-06-2005, 05:15 PM
Like Carol, I can't top what my dh did. We knew each other online for years as friends and then one day and one phone call... and everything changed. He took the last of his final exams the following May and finished out his classes. He didn't wait to go to his graduation, the day after his finals, he loaded everything he owned into his truck and drove for 27 hours non-stop (outside of gas) from Wichita to Tampa. We've been together ever since. We are best friends. I think the best part of it is we make each other laugh everyday. So I look at him with adoration when he comes in with groceries and a star wars action figure. :roflhard: He gives me the same little all knowing smirk when I say "honey, I'd like to order some knitting stuff".

We don't fight about money, mainly because we don't have any :roflhard: but seriously, we have simple rules. We don't fight about money, we sit down and re-stratigize if we find problems. We don't go to bed angry. When we find an argument getting too serious, we crack a joke. :thumbsup: So far, we've been happy for almost 4 years and we still feel like newlyweds. So long story short, I don't have to come up with any excuses. I just try to be as honest and up front with him, as possible.

jodstr2
07-06-2005, 06:05 PM
just the other day, DH was sitting on the couch looking at several packages of my Addis. he said, "damn, these are a lot of money.". I just said, "well, these are good needles. it's a start-up investment.". he didn't say anything after that, but I know that he really had no idea that the needles cost what they do.

his thing was cars, specifically one of his VWs. I watched and never once complained about him spending upwards of $30K in mods to his '93 SLC, as well as spent countless hours-days-weekends-months sitting in the garage or on the lawn, sometimes with my textbooks, studying for finals, watching him transform that thing, and then cried when he sold it.
he doesn't do this car stuff much anymore to his own stuff, even tho he owns a shop. I think the last mod he did to his car was new wheels in early 2004 or so.
now he buys games for the XBox or the occasional PC game.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-06-2005, 07:17 PM
"don't worry I paid cash" (that means i used the credit card)

"no, it's not new, that's the same stuff I bought last week"

"Well, my other husband upped my allowance..."

"So, what you're saying is you're not in the mood tonight"

koolbreeze
07-06-2005, 07:32 PM
"don't worry I paid cash" (that means i used the credit card)

"no, it's not new, that's the same stuff I bought last week"

"Well, my other husband upped my allowance..."

"So, what you're saying is you're not in the mood tonight"

:roflhard: :roflhard:
i tell my husband i got it a long time ago

amp926
07-06-2005, 07:48 PM
kinda OT....'

Everytime I wear something new and my husband comments on it I say something like....

"I got this two years ago, I can't beleive you don't remember it... I've worn it a least a dozen times....."

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I hope my husband never sees this forum!!!!

Ingrid
07-06-2005, 07:57 PM
kinda OT....'

Everytime I wear something new and my husband comments on it I say something like....

"I got this two years ago, I can't beleive you don't remember it... I've worn it a least a dozen times....."

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I hope my husband never sees this forum!!!!

Unfortunately, for me its usually true. :rollseyes:

BinkyKat
07-06-2005, 10:13 PM
Ohmygod, you people are HILLarious!!!
A lot of times I crack him up by waving my hand hypnotically in front of him and saying, "you don't see any yarn, there's no yarn here" (picture obi wan kenobi - dh will wish he never got me involved in sci fi.. :roflhard: )
All parties are given advanced notice of major purchases, and we joke that my money is my money and his money is "our" money. LOL
I was sad when he sold the old '68 chevy pickup he had when we met. Now we would be able to fix it up. Sigh... if they only knew! :thumbsup:

suziehomemaker
07-07-2005, 02:12 PM
I just told my DH about the Great American Aran Afghan and that the yarn I'm thinking about using will be expensive. I asked him to add it to my Christmas list for when our relatives come asking. He said " Hell no - I want that to keep me warm this winter"

I never have a probably buying knitting stuff since my hobby so much cheaper than his woodworking hobby. It's only when I go overboard and want to add 10 projects to my list and buy all of the yarn at once. That's when DH says "Um honey, how are my socks coming along" or "Baby, have you started that scarf for my sister yet? You already have the yarn for that"

Then I'm jut knitting along so I can buy more! :XX:

Carol_OH
07-07-2005, 02:35 PM
Like Carol, I can't top what my dh did. We knew each other online for years as friends and then one day and one phone call... and everything changed......

:cheering:

*wondering how many of us met our DHs on line!? seems like more than usual on this forum! hip hip hooray!*

rebecca
07-07-2005, 06:59 PM
:shock: OMGosh, Binky, my sweet, lovable hunk of a man :heart: 's sci fi, too; as do I, just not quite as much. But, he brought home the VERY BEST purchase I have ever seen a couple of days ago... :roflhard: :roflhard: Darth Tater...I just could NOT stop laughing, still can't every time I see it. Darth Tater, you see, is Mr Potatoe Head as Darth Vader....PRICELESS :rofling: :rofling:
FYI, as far as his hobbies...that would be music; he has a couple of Ipods, but will be getting another for his birthday next month ;) ; and all things electronic (ie, dvd players, flat screen tvs, monitors for cpu, etc); ahh...his fave: guitars!! He has bought & sold a gazillion (give or take) guitars since we have been married, but always goes back to the one that he has had for 20 some years. And, my favorite of his hobbies is spoiling me :inlove: ... he does this 24/7!! I am the luckiest girl around! He just bought a set of straight Susan Bates Quicksilver needles that I have been eyeing on top of what I already posted that he had just gotten me (new knitting book and pearl necklace, bracelet & earrings last week). But, he, too, is very spoiled :inlove: . Actually it's the spoiling of one another that allows us to be happy supporting one another's 'hobbies' ;)

Aby
07-07-2005, 07:12 PM
Actually it's the spoiling of one another that allows us to be happy supporting one another's 'hobbies' ;)

I couldn't agree with you more. We do the same. We spoil one another. It shows that no matter what, we are always thinking of each other. :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

catknit
07-07-2005, 11:31 PM
My SO gets a kick out of how much joy I get from buying my knitting "things". He doesn't understand how I can never get enough...kind of like buying shoes...he doesn't get it either, but he is amused.

rebecca
07-07-2005, 11:34 PM
:shock: SHOES....now, don't get me started on shoes...especially birkenstocks, that would be my other addiction...............

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-08-2005, 12:24 AM
omg did you say birkenstocks???????????? LOL you're my new best friend, rebecca! (but let's not take this thread totally OT... just know that i am OBSESSED with birks, too!)

BinkyKat
07-08-2005, 02:07 AM
My "shoes" are purses. I recently got a new one and I jokingly offered it in tradef for yarn at a shop I stopped at on my way to my brother's home. The gal at the counter admired it and said "I can't really do that..." I think she thought I was serious. This place is called Yarn Cafe, in Maple Grove MN, a suburb of Minneapolis. Very nice place, and they have food too, my other favorite thing! My purchase was put into a nifty drawstring bag, but I had to gasp that it was a clear bag ....how on earth does one hide that? She asked if I wanted to camoflage my items...apparently they deal with this issue a lot! :shock:
I know I always strike a bullseye with dh if I get him a gift card from the hobby shop. One Christmas the fellow at the store accidentally coded one for 50 cents rather than 50 dollars... I gave the first one to dh and didn't tell him, I just wrote "50" on it... what a bellly laugh I had when he called me from the store saying "uhhh, honnneeeeeyyy, what am I supposed to do with a 50 cent card?" :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
I'm so mean, I'll get my payback soon I'm sure!

dustinac
07-08-2005, 10:21 AM
My dh is good about it although he doesn't see how much I have either... He did tell me he thought it would be good if I kept my to do list to 3 projects instead of the 30.... I think he thought knitting was a phase lol now its like OH NOOOO I'm gonna be in matching sweaters!!! Ohh Yeahhh :lol:

brendajos
07-08-2005, 10:26 AM
My dh is good about it although he doesn't see how much I have either... He did tell me he thought it would be good if I kept my to do list to 3 projects instead of the 30.... I think he thought knitting was a phase lol now its like OH NOOOO I'm gonna be in matching sweaters!!! Ohh Yeahhh :lol:

ooooh Poor JD.... :roflhard:

rebecca
07-08-2005, 12:08 PM
:thinking: Knitting a phase...?!....YEAH, a VERY LONG phase...lol!!
Hilde, I LOVE ebay & birks; almost as much as I LOVE the birk OUTLET store in Orlando :inlove: :heart: ; whenever we go to FL on vacation; it's a most stop. I'm a very lucky, lucky girl, my sweet DH buys my birks, too. I'm expecting the book that he ordered for me to arrive soon, then my needles :D I'm a lucky girl....who is CONSTANTLY wearing a pair of birks, for ex. I have a certain pair for home that I have on now...love, love AND they help my hip/leg problems a great deal! Okay, I'm off to knit and get off of computer and FINALLY finish my poor Sally's (finally remembered how we originally spelled her name...Sally Mae) belly shirt that I started forever ago & was sidetracked by afghans.....Ya'll have fun...whatever u r doing :waving:

Rorshach
07-08-2005, 05:19 PM
Heh, and now, one of the male voices on the knitting addictions. While my wife and I are oot and aboot, if I buy more skeins, there IS no argument. The only arguement we have about yarn is who is going to use what, for which project. hehe, so I usually end up buying twice as much. ah well it keeps us in stitches. (yeah, I know it was a bad pun, but has anybody ever heard of a good pun?) :happydance:

brendajos
07-08-2005, 05:20 PM
yeah i am pretty sure you just lost some coolness points there! ;)

koolbreeze
07-08-2005, 06:10 PM
i also tell my dh that i got the yarn from my mom's house. she has boxes and boxes of fabric and yarn... he'll never know. :twisted: BTW what are birks?

brendajos
07-08-2005, 07:20 PM
i am guessing birkenstocks

KellyK
07-08-2005, 07:22 PM
Si. Birkenstocks.

Ingrid
07-08-2005, 07:26 PM
i also tell my dh that i got the yarn from my mom's house. she has boxes and boxes of fabric and yarn... he'll never know. :twisted: BTW what are birks?

In case you haven't figured it out, birks and birkenstocks are sandals.

koolbreeze
07-08-2005, 11:36 PM
i knew they were the same thing i just didn't know WHAT they were. so what is so special about them?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-09-2005, 12:15 AM
omg. they are so much MORE than sandals. they have clogs, socks, boots, inserts... the footbed is countoured to the shape of a REAL foot (not a funky pointy foot like most other shoes) and made of a cork./latex blend that shapes to your foot: it's like a CUSTOMIZED SHOE. Here's the Birkenstock WebSite (http://www.birkenstock.com/) if you want to check them out. They're expensive, but worth every every every penny; sometimes I am on my feet for 14 hours a day during the school year and my feet NEVER hurt.
Here's my wishlist:
Sapphire (http://www.birkenstock.com/styles/851753/manager=ProdDisplay&brand=100&sub_sandals=Yes&category=10o40o110o140&simple_color=20o110o130&simple_material=10&user_id=801290&store_id=0&page=0&cat=birk)
Topaz (http://www.birkenstock.com/styles/988033/cat=birk)

:shifty: So, uhh, if anyone has 300 bucks they don't want to spend on yarn, uhh, i'll take it :pray:

kitkat
07-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Birks are the best. My kids think I am such a geek when I wear my birk sandles and socks in the winter...but hey it works.

I view my stash building as therapy. Rather than spend lots of money on non-covered psych services and spend lots of money on anti-depressants or whatever that will probably make me nuts than I already am.....I spend 20 bucks on yarn or fabric and I feel good and have something to dream about working on. It helps me escape from whatever issues I have at the moment. Now I realize there are some that would say that its a disease not a cure, but its not like I am out collecting Louis Vuitton hand bags and Manolo Blahnik shoes.....

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-09-2005, 12:03 PM
YES, kitkat! My other excuse... "hey! i could be gambling or cheating on your or smoking crack! If this is the worst it is, you are a lucky lucky man." That gets an eye roll and a "whatever." :rollseyes:

rebecca
07-09-2005, 01:09 PM
Thank you Hilde...for jumping in with the explanation that birks are so much MORE than sandals :doh: OMGoodness...so very much more!! LOL
okay, i just got the coolest Crystal Palace kid merino and Opal handpainted sock yarn from www.simplysockyarn.com and she's got a sale going on...but did I get sale items..noooo...lol! I'm very seriously thinking about getting some more today, sale yarn...they use paypal..OMGosh, couldn't ask for anything more :cheering: :cheering:

koolbreeze
07-09-2005, 03:06 PM
oooh, i've seen those before.... for that price the better be made of gold or Jesus would recommend them. WOW for such an ugly shoe my word they are expensive. i always thought it was kind of dorky to wear those with socks but i didn't know how much they cost. i'd be wearing them every day of the year too!

Julie
07-09-2005, 03:10 PM
Birks are sooo worth the $ though....and I'm a MAJOR cheapskate....my last pair lasted me 10 years. I got my new pair on eBay (from Germany) for $55 USD...so what if I had to wait a month for shipping! :mrgreen: :rollseyes: That's under $6 a year for the best shoes ever! :thumbsup:

brendajos
07-09-2005, 05:32 PM
QVC has them on all the time too. Certainly no $300 pairs ...more in the 70-80 dollah range...almost seems like a bargain after seeing Hildi's wish list...lol

I have never known of anybody who regretted investing in there Birkies and i know one lady who hasn't worn anything but birkie sandals and clogs in about 10 years. Except for the pictures at her son's wedding of course...lol. the rest of the day? birkies for everyone...lol

kemp
07-12-2005, 11:52 AM
DH: Want 2? :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: wish I could use that one!

kemp
07-12-2005, 12:00 PM
oooh, i've seen those before.... for that price the better be made of gold or Jesus would recommend them. WOW for such an ugly shoe my word they are expensive. i always thought it was kind of dorky to wear those with socks but i didn't know how much they cost. i'd be wearing them every day of the year too! :roflhard: :roflhard:

They do actually have some pretty ones now. It use to be they were all pretty ugly, but still soooooooooo comfy! I have been wanting these for a while:

koolbreeze
07-12-2005, 01:30 PM
i like the second one. the first is a little too open for my feet

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-12-2005, 09:10 PM
i always thought it was kind of dorky to wear those with socks but i didn't know how much they cost. i'd be wearing them every day of the year too!

Hehehe. I don't think people wear them with socks because they are expensive, I think it's because they are so comfortable and molded to your feet that they'd rather just wear them sith socks and not have to buy a "winter" pair. AND i was kind of joking: I think those shoes are cool, but omg I would NEVER spend 300 bucks on shoes, because that's 300 bucks I could spend on yarn! Bren, I get mine from QVC, b/c their prices are to die for. I actually called in sick one day last March just so I could stay home and watch the showing :oops:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-12-2005, 09:13 PM
OMG!!! and they're having birk shows THIS WEEK!!!!! Here's the schedule (http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?mhproduct=mastheadppguide.gif&mhtitle=mastheadtpguide.gif&nest=/pguide/show_search.asp&dd=/pg_nav.asp) for the central time zone :-) :happydance:

LisaD715
07-12-2005, 11:38 PM
I don't have Birks, but I have the Bass ones.....I love them, but I NEVER wear them with socks, it is VERY uncomfortable to me. I like the new Birks, both of them.

brendajos
07-13-2005, 12:19 AM
OMG!!! and they're having birk shows THIS WEEK!!!!! Here's the schedule (http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?mhproduct=mastheadppguide.gif&mhtitle=mastheadtpguide.gif&nest=/pguide/show_search.asp&dd=/pg_nav.asp) for the central time zone :-) :happydance:

lol...i was just coming here to tell ya that they are going to be on!...i never buy them but i reeeeally like the look of the clogs...i just don't think i can get by with wearing them to the office :roflhard:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-13-2005, 12:29 AM
oo thanks for thinking of me bren!!!!!!! :heart: How come you can't wear clogs to the office???? Sheesh! Quit your job!

I might have to wait until the show in August, b/c I spent a LOT of $ on yarn this month.

And since I just realized the link I posted doesn't work, here's the shecdule for real (since I know everyone cares)
Upcoming Shows
Birkenstock Thu 7/14/2005 9 AM - 10 AM CT
Birkenstock Thu 7/14/2005 6 PM - 7 PM CT
Birkenstock Fri 7/15/2005 9 AM - 10 AM CT
Birkenstock Fri 7/15/2005 4 PM - 5 PM CT
Birkenstock Sat 7/16/2005 4 AM - 5 AM CT
Birkenstock Sat 7/16/2005 9 AM - 10 AM CT
Birkenstock Sat 7/16/2005 8 PM - 9 PM CT

brendajos
07-13-2005, 12:34 AM
lol....well the clogs i have are aqua blue with rain drop looking patterns on them. they are really meant to be rain shoes but i wear them all the time cuz they crack me up. i sometimes forget to change into my pumps when i get to work and have been seen in my skirt and my aqua clogs....lol

*edited to get rid of that impossible to read blue. it actually was fine on my computer at home but at work...wow! i think i would have sworn at anybody else for using that color!*

kemp
07-13-2005, 08:50 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard: I would love to see a picture of that!