PDA

View Full Version : lighting for knitting

bonniejean2
07-08-2005, 01:43 PM
I have a lamp with a 100 watt incandescent bulb. I don't feel like it's bright enough (I have always liked bright light) and it gets hot (the flashes are quite enough thank you).

I have thought about getting a clip on gooseneck LED lamp which is much cooler and bright but what about those daylight fluorescent lamps? One brand is OTT, I think. Are they worth the money? They are pretty pricey. I would appreciate input from those that have either of these two lights....or any other advise.

Thanks a million.

Bonnie in NJ

cheesiesmom
07-08-2005, 02:07 PM
I purchased a Bell & Howell from Sears (on-line), the floor model which was half the price of the OTT; I've also see ads for them in knitting mags. QVC has something similar but not as pricey as the OTT. I think I paid $69.99 plus shipping.

I think it is worth it as the light is bright and cool; I wear bifocals and it seems to be easier on my eyes. I was having trouble seeing the stitches in dark colored yarns. I had been using a table lamp with a three-way bulb and the shade tilted out of the way to expose the bare bulb and still having trouble. The B&H lamp seems to be worth it for me as evenings are the only time I get to knit.

Egeria
07-09-2005, 06:28 PM
I don't have any special lighting, but I'd say anything that makes your knitting experience better has got to be worth it!!

kemp
07-12-2005, 09:55 AM
They have those natural light lamps at JoAnn's with the attached magnifying glass that look pretty cool. Since they have 40% off coupons so often, you could probably get it for a decent price.