PDA

View Full Version : OT: anybody watch soaps?

koolbreeze
07-14-2005, 03:26 PM
if so which ones and why?!?!?

Silver
07-14-2005, 03:32 PM
Days of Our Lives.

Just because I've been watching for like 15 years, AND I CAN'T STOP!!! I wish I could. It's sooooo stupid. :rollseyes:

koolbreeze
07-14-2005, 03:34 PM
Me too!! i want to stop... i just listen and if anything good happens i'll look up. i also watch Passions and Young and the Restless.

brendajos
07-14-2005, 04:07 PM
i have watched Days all my life...my whole family has been a family of Days watchers. Dad took his "nap" each day from 1230-130 when Days was on. My brother planned his college courses around Days. When i was in high school we would watch it in band class on the days that the jazz band rehearsed (imagine 20 high school kids in an office the size of a cubicle watching days on a 9 inch tv!...lol) My mom STILL tapes it every day and watches it later.

i rarely watch it any more because i am almost always at work when it is on. However if i am at home i can't help but turn it on. I don't know how you could POSSIBLY think it is stupid though... :rollseyes: ....lol

i LOVED Another World and Santa Barbara back when they were on....never really got into any of the others and Passions freaks me out whenever i flip through it.... :shock:

koolbreeze
07-14-2005, 04:27 PM
yeah Passions is a little off the chain. its actually worst than Days but better than Days :?eyebrow: ... if that is possible!

dustinac
07-14-2005, 04:42 PM
I decided to give soaps a try when passions first came on :rollseyes: turned me off of soaps for good.. Sometimes I will flip over to see if the same thing is happening.. I wish all story lines would come out and they would moooooooovvvveeeee onnnnnn lol then I might go back to it

koolbreeze
07-14-2005, 05:19 PM
tellme about it. some story lines go on FOOOORRRRREEEVEERRRR. i think that is judt annoying!

but i did get DH hooked on Passions and YR

Sara
07-14-2005, 05:30 PM
My mom had followed Guiding Light since it was on the radio, so big sis and I got caught up in it, too. Then YR. Then As the World Turns. I haven't seen them in at least a year. This is the first time in my life that I don't have a clue what's happening on any of them.

ATWT is my absolute favorite, though. The Lily/Holden teen love story played out when I was in my impressionable teens. :inlove:

Icyshard
07-14-2005, 06:54 PM
Ok, you're all going to think I have no life when I answer, but....

I watch Bold & the Beautiful, As the World Turns, and Guiding Light.

It all started about 14 years ago when my sister and I would spend summer afternoons at my Grandma's house. She didn't have cable and watched all those soaps (including Young & the Restless, which I no longer watch), so we watched along with her.

And now that I have Tivo, I can't stop watching, even though B&B maddens me most of the time!! ATWT is my current fav. Sara, you may be sad to know that Lily and Holden are on the rocks (again!)

I will justify my soap watching by saying that this is when I do most of my knitting--I just look up when something important happens.

Oh and even though I live in Santa Barbara, I *HATED* that soap when I was a little kid--I used to run out of the room when the theme song came on. :lol:

Hooray though, first post for me! To think, I've been lurking around here for a few weeks now (being a pretty new knitter) but it took a SOAP topic to draw me out of hiding! :D

koolbreeze
07-14-2005, 08:06 PM
thats ok as long as you did join... thats all the matters!!
welcom, take shoes off... stay awhile! :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

i watched Guiding light breifly, only cause there was nothing else on between classes and i had to watch something or go to sleep... :zzz:

dustinac
07-15-2005, 11:54 AM
And now that I have Tivo, I can't stop watching, even though B&B maddens me most of the time!! ATWT is my current fav. Sara, you may be sad to know that Lily and Holden are on the rocks (again!)

ohh don't ya just love Tivo?? That is the best thing since bread and butter!!! :inlove: my Tivo!!!

koolbreeze
07-15-2005, 12:20 PM
Dustin~ your sig rocks... :roflhard:

BB... i never understood that that show only ran for 30 minutes!! what can the do in 30 min.?

I don't really have a need for Tivo since i stay home and nothing that i want to watch has something on at the same time. i'm sure my DH would love it. plus i'm on here all day so who needs tv!

Icyshard
07-15-2005, 01:16 PM
You know, you don't realize that you NEED Tivo, until you get it, and then have to go away for a few days and live without it! It's not even so much about watching shows that are on at conflicting times as it is about not having to worry about when things air, so you can watch them any time, and pause and skip commercials! I also :heart: my Tivo very very much!

Since I work all day, it's also singlehandedly responsible for my soap watching. Otherwise I might only catch 1 show a year, on those rare weekday holidays.

As for B&B being half an hour--lots of shows used to be only 30 minutes--they are just the only ones who haven't converted. Probably to be different or something--or keep you in suspense longer.

Nuno930
07-15-2005, 01:23 PM
You know, you don't realize that you NEED Tivo, until you get it, and then have to go away for a few days and live without it! Oooh Amen to that! My mom doesn't have it and it drives me INSANE. It's not even the recording that drives me insane (well, it does but not the main issue) it is the fact that I can't "pause" her TV. I always reach for the remote and try though :rollseyes:

dustinac
07-15-2005, 01:41 PM
koolbreeze thanks lol I seen that wanted to make myself a sign with that on it but never have LOL

OHH I know when I go home its like where is the pause oh they don't have one.. or last time we were in dh and I missed something so he said no biggie just hit rewind.. I went to grab the remote when it hit us both ohhh no rewind.... I'm bad about this recording a movie cause I can and think oh I won't watch it now watch it later and before I know it my Tivo is filled with movies that I Haven't watched LOL :D

SimplyKaar
07-16-2005, 08:55 AM
Hm As The World Turns here aswell :) the best thing: I know the voices and events so I can actually knit while watching it because I don't have to actually look at the TV the entire time :happydance:

I've watched that on and off (mostly "on" though ;)) for the last 17 or so years. Others have come and gone (like santa barbara) but ATWT has stayed :)
My mother in law always tapes it for me if she knows I"m going to have somewhere else when it airs and she will save the entire weeks worth of episodes for me to watch in the weekends. Do I have to mention that I not only have a wonderful boyfriend but he came attached to one of the most lovely ladies ever?? :heart:

Remember though; we are WAY behind on you guys (for your reference: Paul Ryan is about to marry Rose DiAngelo and take her to Paris with him, but something fishy is going on there and Dusty Donovan is trying to find out what; Mike Kasnoff is still recovering from his accident and something is blooming between him and Katie Frasier even if she is still trying to deal with Simons death and Bonnie has just been convicted to 6 months in jail for her role in Marshall Travers death)

Hm for the ignorant foreigner: what on earth is this Tivo you guys are talking about??

/Karen.

dustinac
07-16-2005, 10:23 AM
SimplyKaar, I might be wrong on this so I went to bestbuy.com and searched Tivo.. I belive Tivo is just a brand of a DVR but its what I have through my satellite carrier.. It will record and save shows and movies for you.. you can season pass anything that you want to watch each week but may forget to... you can also record by wishlist like I have Cary Grant in mine so when his movies are on they are recorded... You can pause live TV and rewind live TV.. when you pause it keeps recording so this gives you the opportunity to then fast forward through commercials (i love this!!!) you can hit one button that will re-play the last phrase.. Its great I love it LOL :D

SimplyKaar
07-16-2005, 10:52 AM
SimplyKaar, I might be wrong on this so I went to bestbuy.com and searched Tivo.. I belive Tivo is just a brand of a DVR but its what I have through my satellite carrier.. It will record and save shows and movies for you.. you can season pass anything that you want to watch each week but may forget to... you can also record by wishlist like I have Cary Grant in mine so when his movies are on they are recorded... You can pause live TV and rewind live TV.. when you pause it keeps recording so this gives you the opportunity to then fast forward through commercials (i love this!!!) you can hit one button that will re-play the last phrase.. Its great I love it LOL :D

oeh a fancy smancy VCR then :) and you can pause and rewind LIVE TV??? awsome!!
I wonder why I haven't heard of this on our side of the world :thinking: Maybe your tv stations have to send out a specific signal along with the normal things they send so the thing will know what is going on?

Gah, now that I've heard of this, I want it too!

Aby
07-16-2005, 11:11 AM
NOOOOO! Fortunately, as a kid, living with my grandma, I was forced to sit and watch Days of Our Lives and Another World, every day. :shock: It was so stupid that I swore when I grew up I would never watch a soap opera.

That doesn't exactly let me off the hook though. I have my watching routines. When I wake with the DH and he leaves for work, I turn on Rugrats. I've loved that show since it first came out back in like 89-90. On a side note, I will ONLY watch the older ones before they had Dil. I hate the newer ones because they are very babified and aren't chock full of adult pop culture references, like the old ones are. I like the fact that the voice of "Tommy" is E.G. Daily, the big boobed chick from the wonderful 80's movie "Valley Girls" and I love that Mark Mothersbaugh, lead singer of DEVO(one of my favorite bands in the 70's/80's), does all the music for the "Rugrats"

So, my morning routine is 6am-7am Rugrats 7am-8am cleaning 8am-9am Spongebob Squarepants 9am-10am- Rugrats then the rest of my day is either knitting, dancing, cleaning, or whatever. :happydance:

Icyshard
07-18-2005, 08:15 PM
SimplyKaar, wow you are really far behind! I think those episodes aired like 1 1/2 years ago! Coincidentally that's when I started watching all those soaps again!

Hehe even though it seems that nothing happens sometimes, A LOT has happened since that time....especially with Paul/Rose/Dusty and Simon/Katie/Mike.

And yes, Tivo is a DVR. It actually came out before cable companies started offering their own. It's got more features than many of them, as well. It is a wonderful invention, Europe should totally get it!

jodstr2
07-18-2005, 09:11 PM
ATWT is my current fav. Sara, you may be sad to know that Lily and Holden are on the rocks (again!)

Lily and Holden? dang, it's been at least 15 yrs since I last caught ATWT and there was some storyline with those 2 on at that time.
Grandma watched YnR and ATWT, so as far back as I can remember, like when I was 4 or so, those were always on at her house.
summers spent at my best friends house - she was hooked on Santa Barbara.
my big bro watched YnR and Days. after he moved out in '85, I'd catch YnR and Bold & The Beautiful if I was home. frosh yr in college, my roomie was hooked on Days, so I watched with her.

snephenie
07-18-2005, 09:22 PM
I am a devoted ABC watcher. AMC, OLTL and GH....

I record them on my DVR and then watch them when I get off work. And...if we get interupted by something silly like the stupid Michael Jackson trial did many times....there is always Soap Net.

I have been watching them since I was in the womb. I know all the voices so I dont even HAVE to actually watch. Its perfect for me to knit to ;)

Oh and if you want updates on any soaps this is an awesome site.

http://tvmegasite.net/day/

(they even have screen caps)

SimplyKaar
07-19-2005, 05:14 AM
SimplyKaar, wow you are really far behind! I think those episodes aired like 1 1/2 years ago! Coincidentally that's when I started watching all those soaps again!

I know!! It's alright though because usually you don't really get confronted with that fact so we happily pretend they are super up-to-date. We only run into trouble when we go to this one website which has all summaries to catch up after a holiday or something :) That's how I know we are that far behind.

Hehe even though it seems that nothing happens sometimes, A LOT has happened since that time....especially with Paul/Rose/Dusty and Simon/Katie/Mike.

Oeh I'm sure there is and I can't wait to find out what!! I think the action goes in waves: sometimes it's safe to only watch once a week and you still won't have missed much but then all of a sudden all sorts of things develop. I do wish they'd move on with the nutty crazy Barbara thing though, it's getting a bit old I think.

And yes, Tivo is a DVR. It actually came out before cable companies started offering their own. It's got more features than many of them, as well. It is a wonderful invention, Europe should totally get it!

I totally agree!! I will ask around in the electrical appliances stores next time I'm in town, see if they A) know about it and, B) know if it is available at all around here.

snephenie: I do the same thing, knit while I watch because the voices are enough usually to let me know who says what ect Perfect way to combine two favourite things! :thumbsup:
And I"ll be checking out your site when I get home again...

/Karen.

Joel
07-19-2005, 12:25 PM
The closest i get to soap is in the shower. lol

twiggyann
07-19-2005, 12:44 PM
I grew up with ABC soaps but when I was stationed in the Philippines, the only two soaps that AFRTS (Armed Forces Radio and Television Service) played were Guiding Light and General Hospital. One right after the other. That was 1985. I got hooked on Guiding Light. When I got back to the states, I bought two VCRs so I could tape both GH and GL. But when GH got really silly (the Cassadines were plotting to freeze the world :rollseyes: ) I gave up GH altogether and never looked back.

Now I work from home and I still tape GL every day to watch on the weekend in case I have a phone call or something I have to take during the show. I watch Y&R and B&B when I catch them, which is most days, but I can take them or leave them. I like ATWT but I'm ADDICTED to GL.

It's actually nice to see so many CBS soap watchers. Normally all I ever hear about is either DOOL or GH.

Icyshard
07-19-2005, 01:30 PM
It's actually nice to see so many CBS soap watchers. Normally all I ever hear about is either DOOL or GH.

I know what you mean! My mom used to be an NBC soap watcher when I was growing up, so I knew all about Patch and Kayla on DOOL and things like that. I tried to watch back in the 90s, but there was a storyline about exorcism or something and it was just too weird for me, so I stuck with CBS!

I go back and forth on my favorite soap--sometimes it's ATWT, sometimes GL. Currently as I said, it's ATWT, though GL has been more interesting of late.

Hehe, SimplyKaar I won't say any more about those storylines, as I don't want to give anything away--just know some BIG and CRAZY things happen! Hehe although, is there ever really a time when Barbara ISN'T crazy?! :)

I'm a huge fan of knitting and soap watching. Plots move so slowly and if you've watched a long time it's VERY easy to just listen and know who is doing what. YOu just have to look up when it gets quiet, as that usually means something important is happening visually! I'm so glad I can do both at the same time, otherwise I'd have to give one of them up, and that would be terrible!

perced
07-19-2005, 07:47 PM
I am now an ABC soaper. I love soapnet. When I was growing up i watched Days, Another World & General Hospital. We didn't have a VCR until about 1988, so I would tape it from the radio when I was at school. NBC broadcasts on the radio where i grew up. When Santa Barbara came out it pulled me away from GH. I was so disapointed when it was cancelled. I watched Y&R for awhile but got bored after about a year. They are pretty slow, but not half as slow as Days. Their story lines go on for years & years. I finally gave up on it when they fired Robert Kelker Kelly, when Peter Reckell wanted to come back as Bo. (nothing against Peter, i like him)

koolbreeze
07-19-2005, 07:53 PM
soapnet needs to get Passions so i can leave after 12pm and not have to come back...cause i can just catch it later! :happydance:

wildforyarn
07-20-2005, 11:32 AM
I have been a DOOL watcher since I can remember. I think I started in middle school. I watch it every day and if I am not home I TiVo it. Gosh, I wonder how I lived without TiVo. :roflhard: I am a tv fan. Sucks to admit it, but I am.

DELETED
07-23-2005, 06:56 AM
DELETED