View Full Version : Yarn pricing

07-14-2005, 09:37 PM
Thus far I've bought my yarn from Meijer and WalMart :shock: and it's all been acrylic, worsted weight.

Well after reading this board for a week I decided that I need to expose myself to the finer things in the knitting world. So, I researched and found a LYS by my house. I stopped by today and was totally overwhelmed. It seemed like they had a lot of nice stuff, but how was I really to know? There were a ton of different yarns, needles, books, etc. It was busy and I'm a shy guy so I didn't want to bend anyones ear to have it all explained to me. Plus I know what helpful people lurk here :)

So I guess my question is, how do I know what is a reasonable price for a skein of yarn? I understand that it depends on what kind of yarn I'm looking for (figuring that out would help a lot) but are there certain standards? I'm totally confused on where to begin. :?

07-14-2005, 09:52 PM
Oh boy... the prices of yarn differ as much as the selection. The only sure things I can say are:

100% cashmere and/or angora will be very, very pricey.
Acrylic blends will be much more affordable and even they are lovely.
You'll find a lot more variety of yarns, tools and patterns.
You'll find nicer yarns at a LYS than anywhere else.

Most importantly, a LYS is as addicting as knitting itself. Be careful, or leave the credit cards at home! ;)

07-14-2005, 09:55 PM
I know it helps me to do some math when I'm looking at yarn, as in, "hmmm, would I pay that much for a sweater/hat/pair of felted clogs?" I try to think of it in terms of price of the entire project, vs. price of one skein of yarn.

07-14-2005, 10:15 PM
honestly, i like to feel it and squeeze it, and as my friend said....fondle it. at an LYS it seems like it is ALL eye candy so the look isnt a huge deal to me, it is all about how it feels and of course the cost. I do find that a lot of times my LYS has yarn that looks and feels better than the stuff at Hobby Lobby and it costs the same or only slightly more. There is a lot that is 30-50 dollahs a skein but as much as i love it, it isn't in my price range so that is no big deal. i would say just buy what you like and can afford...and yeah, leave the credit card at home....lol

07-14-2005, 10:28 PM
I've found that the longer I knit, the more I'm willing to pay. Not really exhorbitant, but more. It really depends on what the final product is going to be and for whom. If I knit anything for babies or kids, I use Encore. If its for one of my adult kids, I still go for machine washable because, well, I know them.

If its for me, and the more elaborate Fair Isle type sweaters have been, I'm willing to spend more because putting all the effort in to a garment and not loving the materials and colors defeats the purpose. I probably wouldn't rush to spend $70+ for a sweater in the store, but I will knit one for that price. There was a time I wouldn't think of it.

But then, tolerance is a symptom of addiction, also. ;)

07-15-2005, 08:48 AM
I would say it completely depends on the project. I've used Walmart/Meijer yarns for the cotton dishcloths and Michael's/Joann yarns for baby yarns and Wool Ease for socks and scarfs. I go to my LYS anytime I have a project that's special or something that someone will actually wear. Don't be shy and ask them as many questions as possible. Go on a slow night if you're worried about bothering them. They're the experts!

07-15-2005, 08:54 AM
Now that you've seen the "fun" stuff, don't forget about internet sources. Almost any of the yarns you would buy at your LYS are online somewhere discounted.

That said though, I like to support my LYS. The people there are usually very friendly and they are the ones that offer classes, will help you with your "unsaveable" project, etc. etc.

07-16-2005, 05:34 PM
SO I spend about $5-8 a skien on something like Lambs Pride or Borroco or Lopi. I've seen some Noro for $8.Those are 100% wool, use size 8 or 9 needles. Then for DK or sport weight there's Dahlgren (I think that's how you spell it) that is about $5 skein. but it is smaller and has less yardage than say Lambs Pride. So I look at yardage, weight and compare prices that way. Then theres something like Manos that is just lovely but it's $12-14 a skein. Sometimes I can find a heavy worsted on sale so I stock up on that. But if I want to make baby cloths or a cell phone holder or something that doesn't require wool then I'll get some cheapo TLC from the mall. 2 or 300 yards of acrylic for 2 or 3$ is very elchepo. But it all depnds on what it's for. If you have $50 and want to buy a few skeins of Manos for a nice scarf for someone special then go for it. If yer just goofin around just get some TLC from the malll.

07-16-2005, 05:35 PM
PS. I sell books adn tapes and CD's and stuff I don't read or listen to or use anymore on ebay. Then when I get a suffcient enough pot in my paypal account I go buy yarn. That way I spend money or really quality good stuff.

07-16-2005, 08:33 PM
PS. I sell books adn tapes and CD's and stuff I don't read or listen to or use anymore on ebay. Then when I get a suffcient enough pot in my paypal account I go buy yarn. That way I spend money or really quality good stuff.

That is a good idea, it is like "found money." I use my mystery shopping money for e-bay purchases.....never leaves paypal...lol