PDA

View Full Version : OT Harry Potter

Miss_Knit
07-15-2005, 03:47 PM
Anyone here a Harry Potter fan? I realize most of you are probably adults, but some adults really love it too. I know an 84 year old woman who does. I'm a huge fan, I'm getting my book at midnight tonight!

brendajos
07-15-2005, 03:55 PM
yes i have been dividing my time between pacing in front of B&N and AMC for the releases of Harry and Charlie! I have to go get my "number" tonight at 6pm and then go get my book at midnight-ish...

i am takin' my knitting with me this year though....blinders will be on and i will not be seduced into buying other books!!

bubba
07-15-2005, 04:14 PM
I love that series of books! My husband and I went to the store when the last one came out at midnight and stood in line. I was planning on doing the same tonight, but they changed my hours and I have to be in to work at 0700 tomorrow instead of 1100, so it will just have to wait till I get off at 3pm.

I remember when Rosie O'Donnell had Rowling on her show....she was still and unknown and wrote all her books in longhand and was astounded when Rosie gave her a laptop computer to write on! I went out and bought the first three books right after that interview and have loved them ever since.

It amazes me how well they make the movies....they are just like I pictured them as being when I read the books.

pat.

MaryS
07-15-2005, 04:15 PM
I'm a Harry Potter fan and so are all my kids.

It's my dad's 75th birthday party tonight, and after the party my two daughters (age 22 and 16) and I are going to the HP Party at Border's. I have two copies on reserve that we can pick up at 12:01. What's even better is the 40% off.

I'll have to divide the weekend between knitting and Harry Potter - tough choice.

Mary

amy
07-15-2005, 06:02 PM
I just reserved my copy! :happydance:

I splurged and reserved the audio CD of the book, so I can knit and listen at the same time. Otherwise I'd be totally out of commission for all things for a week or two. ...I'll still be dysfunctional and totally have difficulty concentrating on the real-world for a couple of weeks, but at least I'll get some knitting done!! :mrgreen:

Maybe I'll pop into the HP party at my local bookstore. It starts in an hour. :sunny:

Sara
07-15-2005, 07:16 PM
The university book store here is a Barnes and Noble affiliate. (However, they don't accept the membership discount card! :mad:) So DD and I will be trekking the whole two blocks across the valley at 11:30 to pick up our copy. I love the fact that she's still young and goofy enough to think that's cool. :lol:

She is in the middle of reading Diana Gabaldon's Dragonfly in Amber, so I think I may just get to read HP first! She was sick during one of the releases so I read it to her aloud. I may insist that we do that again. 'She's gettin' too big to cuddle, Hy!' :rofling:

On a somber note, some tears will be shed tonight over DD's best friend who passed away 18 months ago, after a lifetime of suffering with a heart condition. Elizabeth's absolute favorite thing in the world was the Harry Potter series, we wish we could share this one with her.

brendajos
07-15-2005, 08:29 PM
oooh.....:( Just as parents shouldn't have to bury their children; children should never have to bury their best friend! Give her some extra hugs tonight!!

I just stood in line for an hour to get a number for my book, so i can go stand in line later i guess...lol. I am #122! Suuuupposssssedly, the line will go very fast later!...yeah we'll see about that...lol. I am not going until about 11pm though cuz there is no reason for me to sit there the whole time, besides getting some knitting time in of course! ;)

snephenie
07-15-2005, 08:31 PM
I splurged and reserved the audio CD of the book, so I can knit and listen at the same time.

Oooh that sounds like a good idea. I bought the first book and fell in love so my mom bought me all the others and where are they? Sitting on my shelf on my desk...not even opened. I am soooo BAD!

Rorshach
07-15-2005, 10:12 PM
Otherwise I'd be totally out of commission for all things for a week or two.

Wow, a week or two, heh, I've gotta get it out of my head that other people inhale books, even a good book by JK rowling only lasts me a good couple of hours. ah well, suppose speed reading something isn't always useful. :thinking:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-16-2005, 12:33 AM
we pre-ordered our from amazon; it will be here before 7pm tomorrow (there was no WAY i was going to endure going to the bookstore tonight).
I'm planning on reading it ALL DAY Sunday. I read the first 3 in one day each, HP&GOF in 4 days HP&OOP in 2 days... sooooooo I'm testing myself on this one ;-)

tab
07-16-2005, 12:42 AM
Wow, a week or two, heh, I've gotta get it out of my head that other people inhale books, even a good book by JK rowling only lasts me a good couple of hours. ah well, suppose speed reading something isn't always useful. :thinking:
Heh, I do that too. I figure this new one will probably take me aboot a day to finish, reading intermittently. In fact, if I can get my hot little hands on a copy tomorrow I can probably finish it by the time my boyfriend is done work. And then I'll have some inspiration to finish my little brother's scarf! Yeah, that's a pretty good excuse...

brendajos
07-16-2005, 01:35 AM
who wants to know who the prince is?

amy
07-16-2005, 02:24 AM
Wow! :shock: A bunch of speed readers here! Rorshach, you must be exaggerating, right? 2 HOURS???!! That's insanely fast!! I'd say I'm jealous of your speed reading, but I'm definitely NOT in this case! :mrgreen:

Well, I just bought my audio book from Barnes & Noble. What a nightmare! Brendajos, I hope your "take a number" experience was better than mine! I waited an hour only to be cut in line by hoards of unscrupulous people, who pretended to have the right numbered tags, and no one was even checking. It was a real bummer to have so many people be jerks. :verysad:

To top it off, turns out B&N was selling this CD set for 20% more than Amazon! I paid $63! Then on my way out, I found out that Walmart, which was right next door, was also open late selling them, with no line, and selling the CD set for $49. :rollseyes: Oh and cassette tapes, which I didn't even know existed, for $34! So, after all that chaos and suckiness, I bought the Walmart cassette set, and I'm going to return the B&N ones tomorrow!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/bevelheadgrl/thud.gif

Aby
07-16-2005, 08:45 AM
Then on my way out, I found out that Walmart, which was right next door, was also open late selling them, with no line, and selling the CD set for $49. :rollseyes: Oh and cassette tapes, which I didn't even know existed, for $34! So, after all that chaos and suckiness, I bought the Walmart cassette set, and I'm going to return the B&N ones tomorrow!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/bevelheadgrl/thud.gif

Good girl!! I was going to suggest that. I can't STAND rude people. Especially when I'm trying to be a stand up person.

amy
07-16-2005, 09:23 AM
Thanks for hearing me rant. Okay, I've recovered, and I CAN'T WAIT to start listening to the book tonight! :happydance:

KellyK
07-16-2005, 09:50 AM
Is the CD set UNabridged? I somehow got the idea in my head that books on tape/CD were edited. Who does the reading on this one?

bubba
07-16-2005, 10:17 AM
My husband, who works graveyard, told me he left work last night for an hour and got me a copy...what a guy!

He did say it was smaller than the last one, thank goodness!

pat.

MaggieL
07-16-2005, 07:21 PM
DH just went to WM to buy the book. None in town. :crying: Should have reserved one. :blush:

Rorshach
07-16-2005, 07:41 PM
Wow! :shock: A bunch of speed readers here! Rorshach, you must be exaggerating, right? 2 HOURS???!! That's insanely fast!! I'd say I'm jealous of your speed reading, but I'm definitely NOT in this case! :mrgreen:

no, I'm not exaggerating. Though I suppose if you really want to get technical, it's not really speed reading. I read ideas, and I've been cursed with a photographic memory. Used to be that my favorite activity was reading the encyclopedia. Anyway, as I started to say, it's more reading for ideas. What's suprising is, after getting used to that type of blurring of words is how quick words will jump right out at you.

Don't worry about being jealous, my wife has all the jealousy for you. Then again in my line of work, it's almost a necessity. :thinking:

LisaD715
07-16-2005, 08:05 PM
I pre-orderd my book from Barnes & Nobles the first day I could pre-order. I figured it would be my birthday present to me. I got mine in the mail this morning about 11. I am not sure I want to read it now or wait til after the move......I am afraid I won't get any packing done.

kazfam
07-17-2005, 01:13 PM
We did the HP wait-in-line thing on Friday, coordinating w/ the Willy Wonka showing, what a night of waiting! Both were well worth it though and hopefilly my dd will bank it as a fond memory. I read a bit of her book yesterday and, just in the first few chapters, you are led in to that non-stop read Rowling is so reknown for. I'm going to have to knit away, bidding my time until I'm able to steal it away from dd.

~ Jen ~

tab
07-17-2005, 02:05 PM
My dear mummy brought the book home yesterday afternoon, and kindly let me steal it before they started in. I'm finished it now, and it was just as delicious as all the other ones. I giggled aloud, I stifled sniffles in my pillow. Of course, now I'm going to be terribly impatient in waiting for the next one to come out. At least I can bide my time with the movie coming out whenever...

benniesma
07-17-2005, 02:14 PM
I almost bought a copy today. But I'm going on a weeklong convention on Tuesday and I know it will kill me to start it and not be able to read it all right away. Once I start a good book, I tend to not do anything else until it's finished.

My mom wouldn't even let me read the last chapter while we were standing in the store! :shifty:

caviar
07-17-2005, 03:14 PM
Okay, best quote so far from the book:

"I love knitting patterns."

--Albus Dumbledore

Also, gotta love Molly Weasley's handknit Christmas sweaters!

Kirstin

amy
07-17-2005, 09:34 PM
Yes KellyK, the CD and the Casette versions are unnabridged! Same voice actor as last time, Jim Dale who won a Grammy Award for this work, he's great.

I'm actually in the middle of book 5 still, which I started to review a few weeks ago. I put it down, saying to heck with it (that beginning is soooo slow), but then I only got a sentence into book 6 before I realized I had to finish book 5 again in order to best enjoy book 6. I know, I'm a nerd. :rollseyes:

Rorshach, you sound like quite a brain! I'm impressed. :notworthy:
Kirsten, that quote is great. :thumbsup:

Happy HP reading everyone!

LisaD715
07-17-2005, 09:36 PM
I caved and started reading today........I am on chapter two. I don't allow myself to read HP too quickly, I like to savor it. Today I also finished another dishcloth, and went out for my birthday dinner. I vowed to pack five boxes tomorrow before I read one word. That will be my treat for getting some packing done.

Rorshach
07-17-2005, 09:39 PM
Rorshach, you sound like quite a brain! I'm impressed. :notworthy:

Don't be, we all have our talents, mine just happens to be in books and information. while yours is blatantly obvious. :D If it weren't, we wouldn't be talking about this now would we?

Stonington
07-18-2005, 11:08 AM
After spending all day Saturday out of town (up in the western mountains of Maine--not a bookstore in site!) .... DH was determined that I should have the lastest book. Borders was out! Imagine! lol... we ended up at WalMart at about 10:30 pm and found it for the incredible price of $15.97! I did the "happy dance" :cheering: all the way to the register.

brendajos
07-18-2005, 11:11 AM
my mom was telling me that she was on one of her forums where the people were paying $20-$25 for the book.....HUH???? why would anybody do that is my question. Even a month from now they shouldn't have to pay that price....crrrrrrrrrrrrrrazzzzy says me!

VickiIL
07-18-2005, 11:28 AM
I am almost half way done. I have completely abandoned the idea of knitting until I have finished the book! I should be done tonight or tomorrow!

Carol_OH
07-20-2005, 01:28 AM
oooh I gotta get a copy!!!!!

Miss_Knit
07-20-2005, 01:33 AM
i finished yesterday afternoon. i cried soo hard, but the ending was soo good. i cant wait till the next book. for the next book release, im dressing up

amy
07-20-2005, 01:55 PM
Oh this is such torture, to still be re-reading book 5. Wait for me everyone! LOL, okay, I know that's impossible. Just don't give anything away in this thread, 'kay? I already know more about the book than I want to!

BTW, for those of you still considering the audio version, Costco has the CD's for $39. Walmart has the cassettes for $35, and the CD's for $49.

punkhippiemom
07-21-2005, 02:27 PM
AAAAARRGGGHHH! I am getting sooo tired of not discussing this book with anyone, because no one finished it as fast as I did (cept you, Rorshach ~tips her imaginary hat~ you are amazing).
I am so .... see, I can't even say what i am, because it will give something away -
Anyway, the good news is that, after I told him what happened in the last couple of books, my non-reading husband now wants to read 4, 5 & 6. (I tried to convince him it would be better to start with 1 and read em all, but he wasn't buying that. "I've seen the movies, I know what happens," sez he. :rollseyes: :rollseyes: :rollseyes: :rollseyes: )
Everyone needs to hurry up so we can have a good ol juicy discussion about all the fun (and not so fun :crying: ) stuff that happens.

Sara
07-21-2005, 02:38 PM
I read it Sunday evening. If you're desperate, you could start a discussion on the blog thread. I would title it something like "Harry Potter---SPOILER!" or "Finished w/Harry Potter? Let's dish!". Be really clear that you want to talk about the WHOLE book, so that no one whines that you ruined it for them.

MaryS
07-21-2005, 02:50 PM
I'd be in for a book discussion.

Right now I'm twenty pages away from the end, and when I log off KH I'm going to finish. Looking forward to having others to talk to because NOONE else at work is reading it but me! Too many math nerds and not enough readers - I'm a CPA.

ACCIO HARRY POTTER BOOKS!

Mary

Miss_Knit
07-21-2005, 10:56 PM
i finished a few days ago. MAJOR emotions. i just wanna say i BLANKED for like an hour when BLANK was BLANKED by BLANK. i even dreamed I have to go see a counslor over it.

punkhippiemom
07-22-2005, 08:42 AM
OK Fellow fans, I'm heading over to the Blogs thread to get this thing going - meet me there!! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2744&sid=51a2dfc300b1a9268073e8ca68438ddf)