PDA

View Full Version : SHOW US YOUR STASH!

BinkyKat
07-15-2005, 11:05 PM
Let's show everyone out collection of knitting needs and supplies! I started a blog of my own, but this is a nifty thread idea (thanks Hilde for your encouragement!) I will repost my really rough camera phone pic of what is sitting on a section of my couch right now... :shock:
More to come, don't be shy... line up your needles, count your stitch markers, show and tell, let us covet each others stuff!!! :cheering:

Ingrid
07-15-2005, 11:07 PM
Good lord. I'd have to clear every hidey-hole in the house, drag crates out of closets, off shelves, off the dryer. And I don't even have a camera. Maybe some other time. :(

Nuno930
07-15-2005, 11:09 PM
Am I the only knitter who doesn't have, nor particularly want a stash? I like to have just the yarn for the project(s) I am working on. My needles aren't exciting either... a Boye Interchangble and a few randoms I got in the begining.

BinkyKat
07-15-2005, 11:18 PM
I'm sure not Nuno. I, for one, am the type that falls head over heals for the next project I see... I have no restraint :oops:

rebecca
07-15-2005, 11:37 PM
My stash is all neatly tucked away in its proper place; as is my library; accessories & needles. Sorry, kiddo...but there it stays. I intend to inventory soon; I'll let you know what I have. And it remains to be seen how soon my 'soon' will be....lol

BinkyKat
07-15-2005, 11:59 PM
Heck, don't need to be messy stashes, like mine is at the moment. I also like scrapbooking and I love to read articles that show how crafters have organized their workspaces.
Hey, this could give me inspiration and become a good knitter! :lol:

Silver
07-16-2005, 12:46 AM
This is just what I have out. I wasn't about to dig through the closets! Yes, these are all sitting out in my living room. There's no mistaking that a knitter lives here.

This is a project on needles. It's my in-between-projects project.
http://www.cometosilver.com/bitethis/stash1.jpg

The white is wool/mohair for Angelina (http://www.whiteliesdesigns.com/patterns/lcardigans/502.html). The purple is Angora that I couldn't pass up.
http://www.cometosilver.com/bitethis/stash2.jpg

Yarn, yarn, yarn..
http://www.cometosilver.com/bitethis/stash3.jpg

More stuff...
http://www.cometosilver.com/bitethis/stash4.jpg

KellyK
07-16-2005, 10:29 AM
OK - On the top, you will see my patterns binder, a basket of fabric paint that was given to me by a coworker to reduce the slippage factor of my FT clogs, and my orphaned socks...all three of them.

The small drawer above my stash drawer contains my needles.

BinkyKat
07-16-2005, 10:56 AM
Very tidy ladies! :thumbsup:
Say KK, where'd you get your patterns binder? I am seeking an easy carry along type book for patterns... while at the same time trying to come up with a system for at home :??

KellyK
07-16-2005, 11:36 AM
Office Max....its a hard plastic binder with a cover that you can slip a page into. SO - I made a "mosaic" effect with a bunch of yarn pics and used WordArt to make and a Ropey font to put the word "Knit" on the front. I also bought some page-protector dividers and some non-glare page protectors (Avery brand), so each section also has a decorative page slipped in. I have too much time on my hands. :shifty:

BinkyKat
07-16-2005, 11:44 AM
No ya don't! I swear it looked like a journal/book I thought I saw online... so here I am surfin to find out where I saw it will waiting to see if you reply :doh:
Today hubby went to the lakes to work, and "work" considering he had a jet ski on a trailer connected to his truck (dam boss' kid - hey he needs fun time too) soooo, I am going to spend time wallowing in my stash and start developing an organized room. Starting with putting my stacks of printed patterns into a book like Kelly!

kemp
07-16-2005, 12:00 PM
OK - On the top, you will see my patterns binder, a basket of fabric paint that was given to me by a coworker to reduce the slippage factor of my FT clogs, and my orphaned socks...all three of them.

The small drawer above my stash drawer contains my needles.

OOOoooo...I like the idea of putting it in a dresser or drawers. Mine is in the closet right now. That looks so much more tidy!

aliassak
07-16-2005, 01:04 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/aliassak/eab455b7.jpg

And here's the blog entry that tells you what everything is... blog entry (http://aliassak.blogspot.com/2005/06/flash-your-stash.html)

kemp
07-16-2005, 01:10 PM
alissa...that is awesome! So organized.

I think I may be getting inspired to go upstairs and organize my ever growing stash!

aliassak
07-16-2005, 01:14 PM

I think I may be getting inspired to go upstairs and organize my ever growing stash!

Thanks! My fiance told me that if he saw yarn on the floor that wasn't involved in a current project (e.g. I set my project down to use the bathroom...) that he would take my "yarn closet" to the garage and store his tools in it. Since I know he's not bluffing, any time something new gets brought home or arrives in the mail (there's been some stuff added since those pics were taken!) it immediately goes into the wardrobe for safe keeping.

MaggieL
07-16-2005, 01:14 PM
WOW! :shock: Everyone is sooo organized! I'm impressed and motivated. I have mine in bags in a corner.

BinkyKat
07-16-2005, 01:22 PM
That cabinet reminds me about how I want to do my little room...
I wanna do a wall or unit of cubbies to put yarn into like at a store. I need to make use of the vertical space such as it is.
Attached is a pic from 3 yrs ago when dh put in a crafting space for me in the 2nd bedroom. Back when it was empty... sigh, we now have no place for company and it's currently a mess! But still!
I wanna do some easy to clean shelving elsewhere in the room for other stuff and a different computer desk setup (my desk is on the opposite side from this picture's view) so that I can perhaps put a futon or comfy chair for relaxing... :XX:

Ingrid
07-16-2005, 01:25 PM

Isn't it interesting how just the organized ones are taking pics? :thinking:
I know its not to make the rest of us look bad, but it sure makes me jealous! ;)

kemp
07-16-2005, 01:28 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: Good point! And I am still sitting here reading instead of going upstairs to do my organization!

kemp
07-16-2005, 01:29 PM
Blinky...that is an awesome craft room! I think a fabulous comfy chair would be perfect in there. You need to organize it though so you can stalk KH and knit at the same time! :)

Ingrid
07-16-2005, 01:30 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: Good point! And I am still sitting here reading instead of going upstairs to do my organization!

I'm supposed to be cleaning for a party tomorrow. I keep running back and forth. Boy I hate cleaning. :(

BinkyKat
07-16-2005, 01:36 PM
Thanks Kemp!
I keep thinking it would be cool to have a laptop so I could sit, knit/craft, drinky poo, watch tv, but also have KH up right in front of me. But, I can't justify a laptop since I already have a computer. Besides, that's good yarn funds that can be used for better things!
Wouldn't dh be so happy if I got it all cleaned up before he came back to town tonight?
Here I go.... :??

javede
07-16-2005, 02:12 PM
Isn't it interesting how just the organized ones are taking pics? :thinking:
I know its not to make the rest of us look bad, but it sure makes me jealous! ;)
I was thinking the same :lol:
Here's a pic of approximtely 3/4 of my stash, everything else is in plastic bags evenly distributed in my little room and of course current projects.

kemp
07-16-2005, 02:30 PM
Well, I did it...I had a quickie (threw that in for KK :lol: ).

I only spent about 10 minutes, but the stash area is looking much more organized. At least most of the yarn is out of the shopping bag/box that it came in. I am REALLY glad I did this. I have more yarn than I can possibly knit in a year if not two years! But in my defense much of it was from 40 and 50% off sales...I know...quit rationalizing.

I'll get it even more organized some other time.

BTW, how does everyone store their yarn. Like the wook especially...do I need to be worried about moths and such?

Ingrid
07-16-2005, 02:33 PM
I'd have to throw away all my clothes to have a closet like that. I think I'm not going to look at this post anymore. :rofling:

kemp
07-16-2005, 02:38 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: Well Ingrid, its just me, DH, 2 cats and 2 dogs in this 3/4 bedroom house. Not only do I have the closet, but an entire ROOM I could devote to it if I wished :) Our other spare closet upstairs has the "spare" clothes :roflhard:

Ingrid
07-16-2005, 02:52 PM
Yeah, I guess it would be frowned upon to throw out the OH, DD and two grandsons for the closet space. The cat can stay. She's naked. :thinking:

BinkyKat
07-16-2005, 02:52 PM
I have a tiny closet in my room i want to have dh help me put wire shelving in... I also have an old dresser that was my dad's and then mine as a kid. I wanna refinish it and repurpose it for craft storage... like KK does with hers. And perhaps put up high shelves around the room at about the level of the wallpaper border (see my above pic) the prev owners papered that. I don't mind it, but I thought then I could put baskets of things I don't use as often up off the floor perhaps?

BinkyKat
07-16-2005, 02:53 PM
:shock: My cat's naked too! I thought it was a weird cat thing!!!! :roflhard: :roflhard:

kitkat
07-16-2005, 03:04 PM
speaking of naked animals, did any of you get that email newsletter from lionbrand that had the lady with the poncho and her pet rat with its matching poncho?????

Julie
07-16-2005, 04:19 PM
Okay, I'm feeling much better after reading this thread..my stash is not that large at all. Pic 1 is ths whole thing, pic 2 is just what's waiting to be knit. The rest of it is dregs from completed projects. :rollseyes:

Thanks, Bink, for inspiring me to clean it out! :thumbsup:

KellyK
07-16-2005, 04:24 PM
Bink, that's our guest bedroom. We have a 1931 house, so we've stocked it with cool antique furnature that we've bought for a STEAL because DH is a deal-finder EXTRORDINAIRE! AND, there are extra drawers in the matching highboy and vanity for when we DO have guests.

KEMPYYYYYY, can't you drive from Cincinatti to join un Illinoisers at our get-together next weekend? My sister lives in Angola Indiana...right near you. Its only a 3.5 hour drive! You're FUN and I wanna meet you! Your GIRLS and all!!!! :mrgreen:

feministmama
07-16-2005, 04:31 PM
I fit my whole stash on my bed. Sort of.

feministmama
07-16-2005, 04:33 PM
PS here's a link to previous stash discussion

http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9593&highlight=#9593

kemp
07-17-2005, 03:01 PM
KEMPYYYYYY, can't you drive from Cincinatti to join un Illinoisers at our get-together next weekend? My sister lives in Angola Indiana...right near you. Its only a 3.5 hour drive! You're FUN and I wanna meet you! Your GIRLS and all!!!! :mrgreen:

:blush: Awww, thanks for thinking of me. I have been considering the drive every since you guys started talking about it and I would :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: to be there and meet everyone! Unfortunately, my DH is having some health problems and he might have surgery coming up this week.

Next time I will really try to make it. Maybe you could consider having it a bit south of Chicagoland :)

KellyK
07-17-2005, 03:31 PM
aaaah.....poo. Next time DEFINITELY.

I hope your DH is okay!!

kemp
07-18-2005, 12:40 PM
Thanks. He was not well last night and was running a bit of a fever. It just goes on and off. It is a super LONG story what is wrong but hopefully nothing too serious. I'll feel much better I'm sure when the doctor calls back today. I had a pretty rough night :(

rebecca
07-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Okay, I know that I said earlier in this thread that I wasn't taking any of my stash out of its pre- :XX: home; and I only took out the 1 ball of Sockotta; 3 balls of kid merino; 1 hank of handpainted opal and 1 hank of handpainted mountain colors sock yarn and 3 hanks of KP's 'color your own' for dyeing :D ...all bc they are my sock yarn that are not yet balled up & ready to knit. AND......I got my sock order from KnitPicks... :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: So, in addition to what I just stated we have: 8 balls of self-striping; 10 balls of Dancing; 4 hanks of Sock Landscape; 2 hanks of Sock Memories; and 4 hanks of Sock Garden !! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :cheering: :cheering: I :heart: :heart: :heart: it when the mail arrives :D !!!
So, here u have a couple of pictures of some of my sock yarn sitting on my love seat..... :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

kemp
07-18-2005, 05:47 PM
How fun. That is a LOT of socks Rebecca.

:cheering: Knit, Rebecca, Knit! :cheering:

kitkat
07-18-2005, 10:18 PM
I gotta learn to do me some socks!

kemp
07-19-2005, 03:55 AM
yes you do! It's so fun and plenty of people who do it on here to help if needed.

Joel
07-19-2005, 12:44 PM
Well... because I don't have my digital camera working right now and I can't haul my webcam all over the house.... I can't show pics but here is an approximate description of our current stash.

Stored under our king size bed are 4 tubs (the clear plastic type you can buy from Wally-world) that are stuffed full (the damn lids dont close properly. The only thing holding the lids on at the moment are the locks on each end. Each tub is approximately 6-9 inches high, about 18 inches wide, and about 3-4 feet long. Also stored under the bed are 2 (stackable) plastic drawers (like you'd use for sweaters) from Wally that have yarn in them.

Stored in the closet of our children's playroom, are four (stackable, gray) tubs. These tubs are approximately 15-18 inches deep X 12 inches wide by 15-18 inches long.

In our living room we have an armoire, with 2 drawers (on the bottom) that we use for CDs. The rest of the armoire (which is about 5.5-6 ft high) is filled with yarn and some crochet stuff (on the top shelf) in the "main" area. We used to use the armoire for a small-ish TV/VCR, videos, etc but those got moved into an entertainment center we bought a while ago.

Next to the armoire is another plastic tub. About 2 ft x 2ft x 3 ft that is mostly filled. Then there's my wife's crochet bag (which is full of yarn and projects. Her new yarn case, which has a couple of cones/skeins on it (she still hasnt put them into it for some reason.) I have my knitting backpack which holds all my needles, my books and a couple skeins for projects I still have to start.

I think that's it. We'd have more but I wont let her buy any until we've cleared out some of this.

:X: :X: :X: :X: :X: :X: :X: :X: :X: :X: :X: :X: :X: :X: :X: :X:

BinkyKat
07-19-2005, 09:16 PM
We'd have more but I wont let her buy any until we've cleared out some of this.

Yeah, riiiiigggghhhtttt!. Sounds like my whole stash, with the exception of the underbed thing... my dh suggested that option, but we do keep our huge fluffy heavy comforter in a spacebag under there... just waiting for my cat to bite a hole in that and explode the whole thing to the ceiling! :roflhard:

In fact, dh even asked me when I am going to hang a sign on the front of the house announcing the opening of my new yarn shop! the nerve! :roflhard:

kitkat
07-23-2005, 04:29 PM
Here it is in all its splendor and glory. Unfortunately doing this makes me realize that I seriously need to make up some of this stuff before I buy another piece of yarn (WOTA for felted clogs is not included in that above statement).

Aby
07-23-2005, 04:44 PM
um, Kitkat... can I come over??? :shock: I don't want to take all your yarn.. I just wanna roll around in it.

KellyK
07-23-2005, 07:01 PM
WOW. :shock: We should have a "rolling in yarn party" at your house!

I LOVE that periwinkle cottonease color!

kitkat
07-23-2005, 08:02 PM
I am afraid I went way overboard on the cotton ease....but durn it they wuz giving it away that weekend! I figure I have enough for 5 sit-com sweaters LOL.....ditto that peachy and blue stuff from Joann's, it was so soft and nice, even though acrylic!

Sara
07-23-2005, 10:34 PM
OO-oo-OO! Did you make your quilt, kitkat? I just finished a Single Irish Chain w/a Seminole border. I love the colors in yours. I'm making DD's swing top with the lavender Cotton Ease.

kitkat
07-23-2005, 10:51 PM
I did make it! I just did one of the Quilt in a Day patterns, out of chambray fabric.....had it for years and I love it!

suziehomemaker
07-24-2005, 10:41 AM
I've never used Cotton Ease before and those colors are very nice. What type of stuff would you make with it? A light weight summer sweater? I've used Wool Ease before and loved it.