PDA

View Full Version : Ack! Must resist temptation...

Mer
07-21-2005, 12:44 PM
I just found this beautiful jacket kit! (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8206077227&category=36596&tc=photo) I wish it was just the pattern without the yarn included. I'm trying to not buy it this very instant. :drooling: Help me!

koolbreeze
07-21-2005, 01:00 PM
thats cute.... you can't find the pattern here in the US?

Sara
07-21-2005, 01:11 PM
OMG, that's gorgeous! Apparently, you can't buy a pattern without a kit. She doesn't have any books out. Seems to me that she's cutting herself out of a larger market. And unfortunately, $125 looks like a "reasonable" price. (Given what others are charging for her kits.) There's a post on Knitter's Review about a store in Copenhagen that has the best prices, but the website is in Danish and I can't decipher more than a couple words. The shop owner apparently speaks English, though, so she could be contacted by email.

Mer
07-21-2005, 01:22 PM
Ooh, I found this site (http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/productpage.cfm?store=Cucumberpatch&productid=MER&did=49339) which is not a bad price. I'm rationalizing it that a nice wool coat would be at least $100. But does one need a wool coat in Houston? No. :( Ok...take a deep breath. I'll hold out for a bit, at least.

Ingrid
07-21-2005, 04:26 PM
Ah--but didn't it snow in Galveston last Christmas? That's not too far away. Are you prepared?

kemp
07-21-2005, 05:11 PM
What about when you visit your "northern" friends? Surely you could use it then! 8)

koolbreeze
07-21-2005, 05:21 PM
ok okok.... i'l settle this. buy it make it and send it to me!!! there that sounds fair! ;)

Mer
07-21-2005, 05:51 PM
You guys are all so helpful! :lol: I bet it would make a nice Christmas present for myself. I'm sure that if I bought it now I wouldn't be able to finish it before this winter anyway!

Sara
07-21-2005, 10:13 PM
My stars, I LOVE this coat! Mer it would be SOOOO pretty on you. One of those jewel tones would be great. I can't buy one, the large isn't big enough. I'd like to live vicariously through you, though. :lol:

Ingrid
07-21-2005, 10:18 PM
Welcome to the Land of Enablers! Brought to you by KnittingHelp.com.

You don't want it? We'll talk you into it! :rollseyes:

Mer
07-21-2005, 10:26 PM
My stars, I LOVE this coat! Mer it would be SOOOO pretty on you. One of those jewel tones would be great. I can't buy one, the large isn't big enough. I'd like to live vicariously through you, though. :lol:

Aww, thanks! :blush: Some of her other designs look less form fitting, but she doesn't have a wide variety of sizes, unfortunately. Here's the whole collection: http://www.knit.dk/billeder/ref.htm

I have to say I love the mermaid design best though!

So do you think the jewel tones would work? I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to wear it with enough and I should get a gray or black. But I'm always too practical. :doh:

Welcome to the Land of Enablers! Brought to you by KnittingHelp.com.

You don't want it? We'll talk you into it!

Yeah, thanks! :rollseyes: I still haven't caved in and bought it yet though!

Sara
07-21-2005, 10:29 PM
If you will make one, Ingrid, I would drive over to visit it--um, er, I mean--you!

:roflhard:

Ingrid
07-21-2005, 10:32 PM
If you will make one, Ingrid, I would drive over to visit it--um, er, I mean--you!

You only want me for my woolies! :rofling:

Sara
07-21-2005, 10:41 PM
**Sara does a spit-take all over her laptop**

HAHAHAHA! OMG, too funny. (Seriously, can I run my fingers through your strands?)

Ingrid
07-21-2005, 10:45 PM
Nobody touches the stash! :mad:

Mer
07-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Ok, ladies. :rollseyes:

I emailed a kinda-local yarn shop because I saw on their website that they had kits in stock. They're $250! I wonder why that Cucumberpatch site is so cheap? I would almost feel guilty about buying it for so much less (well, almost). :shifty:

Ingrid
07-22-2005, 02:57 PM
It's probably less because it's on ebay. No overhead like the LYS. So at least you know you're getting a good deal!

Hey, ladies! Look! She's cracking! :happydance:

Mer
07-22-2005, 03:05 PM
Hey, ladies! Look! She's cracking! :happydance:

Am not! :---

Ingrid
07-22-2005, 03:13 PM

kemp
07-22-2005, 04:41 PM
You really MUST NEED it if you're still thinking about it! What if it gets sold out from under you before you get a chance to buy it???

You could spend the entire rest of your life regretting that you spent so much time in justifying!

:devil: Did that help??? :)

koolbreeze
07-22-2005, 05:02 PM
i thought i solved this... buy it,make it, than send it to me! dang ya'll are making this harder than it really is! :happydance:

Ingrid
07-22-2005, 07:35 PM
:devil: Did that help??? :)

I think I hear her wavering. When she looks at the pattern, :inlove:
Its just a matter of time. Hehehehe. . .

And koolbreeze--I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you! :pray:
Even prayers won't help!

Mer
07-22-2005, 09:28 PM
Hee hee hee...so, since you are all so helpful, what color do you think I should get? I'm leaning toward the number 3 (http://www.knit.dk/mermaid3.htm) version.

Others are here (http://www.knit.dk/mermaid.htm).

:thumbsup:

Ingrid
07-22-2005, 09:47 PM
Yep, that one gets my vote! :thumbsup:

Sara
07-22-2005, 09:53 PM
#3 is a great choice! I want the #4. Maybe this style will still be around when I graduate in 2007, so I can ask for it as a present. :pray:

MaggieL
07-22-2005, 09:58 PM
I like 'em all. My fav is #6.

Mer
07-23-2005, 12:16 AM
Thanks, guys! And now I don't feel bad at all, because DH just bought an electric standup bass on ebay. My purchase will be small potatoes compared to that. Just need to make sure we don't have any other major purchases for a little while...

Anyway, I'll be sure to let you know when my nifty kit arrives! :inlove:

Ingrid
07-23-2005, 10:20 AM
:happydance: :happydance: Now I don't have to buy one! :happydance: :happydance:

I was tempted, though. ;)

wildforyarn
07-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Ummm, thanks a lot Mer. Now I knew I should not have looked at the pictures, but I did and now the jacket is calling my name. :doh: I live in Wisconsin.... its justified. I love almost all of the colors. Especially the brighter and more colorful ones, like the one that you picked. The more subdued ones are nice, but they do not "show off" the knitting as well I don't think and won't get as much attention. Gosh, I want that kit!!! Why oh why do they not just sell the pattern????? Grrrr.

You are one lucky gal! I can't wait to see pictures of the finished product!! :D

Ingrid
07-23-2005, 11:54 AM
Thanks, guys! And now I don't feel bad at all, because DH just bought an electric standup bass on ebay. My purchase will be small potatoes compared to that. Just need to make sure we don't have any other major purchases for a little while...

Anyway, I'll be sure to let you know when my nifty kit arrives! :inlove:

When I first read this post, I read bass as in fish, not musical instrument. Put an electric standup fish in your head. Buying that would justify buying just about anything! :rofling:

koolbreeze
07-23-2005, 03:26 PM
i wouldl ook so fly in number 9!!! sure you can't get 2? i live in Missouri and haven't had a decent coat in years... hooka sista up! :thumbsup:

Mer
07-23-2005, 03:54 PM
Well, since you were all so kind as to convince me to buy it, I don't mind dragging a few of you with me! wildforyarn, koolbreeze, and Ingrid, I'm sure we can convince you to buy a kit too. Uh, I don't think I could handle doing more than one though. I read somewhere that these use very thin yarn and tiny needles, so it may be taking me a while.

And no, no electric fish in our house. :roflhard:

Ingrid
07-23-2005, 04:23 PM
I do keep looking. And looking. And I have a birthday coming up in about 6 weeks. BUT I have so much to do already! When you get yours let us know exactly what the yarn is like. That'll stall me for a while!

koolbreeze
07-23-2005, 06:53 PM
DH would have a cow if i spent that much money on something. and then i would probably never get done... hense why i said you make it for me... ;)

wildforyarn
07-23-2005, 10:36 PM
Well, I have been thinking about it all day and how good I would look in it! :rofl: I have sent my DH a link to it and see what he says. We always discuss purchases over $100. I think I will be saving my pennies for it though. I may wait until you get yours and have you read through the pattern and let us know if you like it and like the yarn. I would like someone's honest opinion on it. Thanks! :D

Sara
07-23-2005, 10:43 PM
I was gushing to my LYS lady about the Mermaid coat. I was whining over how expensive it is. She was really surprised that they were ONLY $250. She said that kits are usually pretty pricey. She said you got a steal, Mer! Isn't that nice to hear? :lol: Congratulations! :cheering:

Debbie
07-24-2005, 12:17 AM
I thought it was a fish, too. I figured it was some kind of boat or equipment :)

Mer
07-24-2005, 11:05 AM
Thanks everyone! I'm very excited about my purchase. I'll be sure to let you know how it all looks once I get it.

I guess that really if you could buy the yarn and pattern seperately, it would still be pretty expensive with all that 100% wool yarn. And I'm sure that the colors that come in the kit look much nicer together than if I was trying to pick out colors myself!

Ingrid
07-24-2005, 11:26 AM
Thanks everyone! I'm very excited about my purchase. I'll be sure to let you know how it all looks once I get it.

I guess that really if you could buy the yarn and pattern seperately, it would still be pretty expensive with all that 100% wool yarn. And I'm sure that the colors that come in the kit look much nicer together than if I was trying to pick out colors myself!

I find that's a big stumbling block for me, too. I see something that I love the colors of, and even though I have enough yarn to make something similar, in different colors, I want it in THOSE and end up buying even more yarn.

Mer
08-02-2005, 08:11 PM
Look what came in the mail today!!!

I'm so excited. It looks lovely. But I'm sure it will take a while to do, as the yarn is thin and it calls for small needles. I'm very happy with my purchase though! And cucumberpatch (ecclescakes) on ebay is a good seller.

Ingrid
08-02-2005, 08:14 PM
Ooooooh! Aaaaaaah! How does the yarn feel? Is it soft or wooly roughish. From the web site I kind of recall that it was 2-ply jumper weight? Is that right? I've used Jamieson & Smith jumperweight and it was rougher than others buy nice to work with. I love the colors. I want to stick my hand in the bag!

Mer
08-02-2005, 08:23 PM
It's a leeeetle wooly, but I don't think it will be too scratchy once it's knit up. We'll see. ;) I think it's 2 ply--the pattern says No. 2 Shetland 100% wool. I'll have to use size 2 or 3 needles, so that means I'll have to buy some more needles too!

I took a close up picture of the yarn; it's a little fuzzy, but I'll post it too.

Ingrid
08-02-2005, 08:26 PM
Yes, that what the J & S is, Shetland. I love the specks of colors! It may take a while to knit, but it will last forever. I'm so glad you're happy with it. I would have felt guilty if you weren't. :rollseyes:

koolbreeze
08-02-2005, 08:56 PM
it looks soft.... :thinking:
can't wait to see the finished project! :happydance: have you started yet or are you still looking it over?

Mer
08-02-2005, 09:02 PM
it looks soft.... :thinking:
can't wait to see the finished project! :happydance: have you started yet or are you still looking it over?

Haven't started yet...I think I will try to do some Christmas presents for other people before I get going on this one. I think it will be a major undertaking. Look for a finished product around, oh, December 2006. ;)

koolbreeze
08-02-2005, 10:45 PM
Seriously! :shock: wow... welli guess we will have to wait!