PDA

View Full Version : OT: Please send good wishes for DH

Silver
07-22-2005, 10:48 AM
He and his best friend left this morning on their motorcycles for a 1700 mile, 2 day ride. They'll be going up the east coast of GA, through SC, NC, and Viginia before coming back down through Tenn, Atlanta and back home to FL.

This is just for "fun".

Yes, they're crazy. But your good wishes would be very, very appreciated. I'm a worry wart, and that's a lot of miles on a bike. Thank you! :heart:

brendajos
07-22-2005, 10:52 AM
that's a lotta miles in a CAR in that amount of time. i would think they will be good and sore after that ride. Will think good thoughts that they get back to you safe!

Nuno930
07-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Oooh that does sound like fun! Good wishes :thumbsup:

MaryS
07-22-2005, 10:57 AM
Silver,

Best of luck to your dh & friend - that IS a lot of miles for a 2 day trip!
Hopefully he'll keep you posted by cell phone as to where he is. Try not to worry TOO much. Are they camping or visiting friends for the overnight?

Mary

Silver
07-22-2005, 11:30 AM
While this isn't an official ride, they're both Iron Butt (http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm) members. On their last "official" ride, they rode 1000 miles in under 24 hours. This one is just for fun because DH wants to ride in the mountains, and they both had these two days off work, so DH batted his eyelashes at me and I let him go. ;)

They'll spend most of the next 48 on the road. They will be staying in a hotel in Virginia (I think) tonight, but will be back on the road early in the morning. The three of us have Nextel phones with direct connect, and DH beeps me at every stop. They both smoke, so between smoke breaks, food stops and gas fill ups, there will be lots of stops. LOL

He took my camera with him. I expect lots of pics when he gets back. :)

foothills
07-22-2005, 11:36 AM
I'm sending him good wishes Silver:) He may be coming this direction because alot of motorcyclist love the scenic views down Highway 52 around Pilot Mountain, NC...it is beautiful; however, I think I'd rather view it from a car than a motorcycle ;) My oldest brother has a Goldwing and he and my SIL travel everywhere on it. He will be fine and I'm sure he'll bring back some beautiful pics.

Joyce

Ellen Edwards
07-22-2005, 11:43 AM
HEY--best wishes and much safety to your DH and his friend!! I am sure they'll have a great time, but it is HOT in Virginia, I'll tell you. :wall: I imagine they're going to be in the mountains though, and that'll be much cooler than where I am! I guess he's too macho to carry sunblock!! ;)

jodstr2
07-22-2005, 11:56 AM
aw. he'll be fine. best wishes and happy thoughts.

rebecca
07-22-2005, 11:59 AM
I will pray for you, dh & friend and send out best wishes for lots of fun and....oh my.... :waving: there they go through coastal GA!!
Try not to worry to much as your :heart: is out having fun on his bike, so, girl.... :XX: :XX: :XX: !!!

hedgehog
07-22-2005, 12:00 PM
Wow... what a gorgeous ride that will be!!!

I love the Great Smokey/Blue Ridge Mtns... I spent a few weekends there in May/June - just beautiful!! If i could live there, i would! (Lots of spinners, crafters, artisans - next time I'd go with him, Silver! ;))

Best wishes for a safe ride! :)

-hh

P.S. It's bloody HOT here in NC too!!! It's been in the 90's daily (but i'm sure they're used to that being from Florida!)

Debbie
07-22-2005, 12:04 PM
Shopping for yarn is said to be the best cure for worry warts. Other cures include knitting, and chocolate.

kemp
07-22-2005, 12:12 PM
:roflhard: I was just thinking "boy, wouldn't your butt get sore" as I was reading about the ride...then I scrolled down and saw "iron butt" members. :) How many miles do you have to ride before you get iron buns??

Silver
07-22-2005, 12:41 PM
He just beeped me... they're at the first exit on I-95 just inside South Carolina. I have their whole route mapped out. :)

As far as the heat goes, I doubt they'll hit anything hotter than what we have at home. It's currently 93 here. He's not wearing sunblock.. it's a mute point with all the gear he's wearing. He's a safe rider, and will sweat before risking a bad case of road rash. He's wearing riding boots, jeans, a t-shirt, a mesh motorcycle jacket (with shoulder, elbow, chest, neck and back armor), and his helmet. If he gets too hot, he'll take off the t-shirt, but he'll still wear the jacket. Besides, 60-80 mph winds in your face is rather cooling! I know.. I ride with him frequently. So long as they're moving, they'll be fine.

The shortest ride for Iron Butt status is the 1000 mile ride in 24 hours, which is appropriatly called "SaddleSore". It's a completely documented ride, with witnesses at the starting and ending points. The two of them did that a while ago, but went south towards Miami instead. You wouldn't believe some of the Iron Butt rides... like the "50 CC" which is riding coast to coast in 50 hours! Or even more crazy, the "48-10"... ride through all 48 states in 10 days. :shock:

As far as me going with him... uh, no thanks. I'd want to stop and sightsee, they just want to ride. We have really nice seats on the bike, but I'd still get antsy and be whining to stop all the time. They don't WANT the wives with them! LOL

brendajos
07-22-2005, 12:46 PM
i wonder if my brother has heard about this...it sounds like something he would love, though my S-i-l would be the same way as you i think. the only thing i wish is that we could get him to wear a helmet. he is 37 and still thinks it could never happen to him.

Silver
07-22-2005, 01:03 PM
That's one thing I'm VERY happy about, that DH does wear his helmet, even though there's no helmet law in Florida. He has crashed before, and was wearing full gear. He scraped up his knee, that was it. THIS (http://serendipity.cometosilver.com/totalled.htm) is what happened to his bike. He knows what could happen, and he has a wife and 2 kids to consider. :heart:

Here's his current bike (http://serendipity.cometosilver.com/).

kemp
07-22-2005, 04:22 PM
Thank goodness he wears all that gear! I would still worry all the time.

Silver
07-22-2005, 04:27 PM
Oh I do! Everytime he rides off...

amy
07-22-2005, 05:49 PM
:heart: Praying for his safety, best wishes!

Silver
07-22-2005, 05:52 PM
Thank you EVERYONE for the good wishes and prayers!! I LOVE YOU KNITTERS!! :heart:

FYI, DH just beeped me about 15 minutes ago. They're in Rockingham, NC. He asked if I could wish some cool air their way.

I said no. If I get any, I'm keeping it for myself. LOL

brendajos
07-22-2005, 06:10 PM
lol...that'll learn him!

LisaD715
07-22-2005, 07:01 PM
Silver, sounds like they are having a great time!! I wish them good weather, no traffic and a great ride!!

My Mom's best friend just rode 10 states in 11 days...however she is 60 her hubby is 63. First question I asked if was her butt sore when she got home. I don't think I would like the 48-10 thing. I am with you, I like to sight see.

I am so glad he wears gear. Always good to be protected.

MaggieL
07-22-2005, 07:04 PM
***sending good wishes, good wishes, good wishes....*** :D

dustinac
07-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Sending prayers for safe travels...

beldaraan
07-23-2005, 12:23 AM
Heya Silver~

My geography is rather lacking regarding the area you mentioned. I hope he doesn't put you through this very often. I never ever wanted to marry someone who had any dangerous lifestyle ambitions....so I married a chemist :doh:

Silver
07-23-2005, 12:30 AM
No, he doesn't do this often. And when he does, he's ver good and makes sure it's ok with me first. I worry, but I give him his space. :)

Update:
They made it to their hotel... it's in Lynchburg, VA. They're safe and sound, no problems other than a bit of rain. Woohoo! Tomorrow they'll be headed home instead of further away! :cheering:

wildforyarn
07-23-2005, 10:56 AM
Silver, sending wishes and luck for safe travels and good weather. I'm glad to hear that he was his helmet! I always cringe when I see people on their bikes going 75 with no helmet and in shorts and a t-shirt. Yikes!

Silver
07-23-2005, 03:48 PM
Oh man... I wish I hadn't asked. Right now, they're in Marion, VA, and DH just confirmed that they're heading to the Tail of the Dragon (http://www.tailofthedragon.com/maps_dragon_road.html). It's stretch of road that is hailed as one of the best, and most dangerous, routes for bikers. There are 318 curves in 11 miles. :shock:

I'm going shopping. I need to relax. *DEEEEP BREATH*

beldaraan
07-23-2005, 09:42 PM
Hmmm, did he "think" that one through? I was under the impression that his route was already mapped. It sounds like this is a little surprise joy ride. Even I feel like I need to go on a shopping trip...and I already went shopping today.

**hugs Silver**

Silver
07-23-2005, 11:38 PM
Well, yeah, they thought it through. As they were leaving VA. "Hey! Let's do the Dragon!". :rollseyes:

They're almost to Georgia now. And he said "The Dragon was the most amazing ride of my life. I was wishing you were there the whole time." :inlove:

I just want him home...

suziehomemaker
07-24-2005, 10:29 AM
I love that Iron Butts website. I thought it was a joke when you first posted it but I showed it to one of my hardcore Harley Davidson friends and he said those guys are truly hardcore.

My DH travels alot for work and I know how you feel, excited for his experience but still just wanting him home. It's nice to hear that there's other people out there that like being together after a few years of marriage.

MaryS
07-24-2005, 11:08 AM
Silver,

Give us an update! Did DH make it home when you expected?
You can't leave all of us hanging!

Mary

Silver
07-24-2005, 01:42 PM
He was much later than expected, but he made it home this morning at 10am... after riding for almost 22 hours straight since he left the hotel yesterday at Noon.

Although he was tired, he continued to stay up for a while to tell me all about it, mostly about Tail of the Dragon. He's asleep now. He'll probably sleep all day and night.

But he's home. A little sunburnt and windburnt, but otherwise no worse for the wear. :heart:

It's nice to hear that there's other people out there that like being together after a few years of marriage.
After 13 years to be exact! :)

suziehomemaker
07-24-2005, 01:47 PM
That's great to hear. Congrats on 13 years! That is truly inspiring as I approarch our 4th anniversary. Glad he made it home ok and is resting safely.