PDA

View Full Version : Why knit a dishcloth?

Jackie M.
07-23-2005, 09:57 AM
I mean, they are easy and fun to make(I assume, but I've never made one), but you can buy dishcloths for almost as cheap as it would take to make one. You can get a bag of 10 for about $1 at the dollar store. I think they would be great for beginner knitters, so what is the attraction to dishcloths? Just wondering. I see so many patterns for them.
P.S. Do you use 100% cotton for them?

Ingrid
07-23-2005, 10:08 AM
I think the attraction is that they're small and quick and give you a chance to practice different stitches. And if you make them from something like Lily Sugar & Cream, they're really inexpensive.

As for being able to buy them cheap, I can go to the LL Bean website right now and I'm sure I can find nice sweaters on really good clearance. So why should I make any more sweaters when I can buy one at $20?

I think we can ALL answer that question!

:XX: :XX: :XX: :XX: :D

MaggieL
07-23-2005, 10:11 AM
I agree with Ingrid.

Jackie M.
07-23-2005, 10:24 AM
I never thought about practicing different stitches. Good idea! I need all the practice I can get and starting with something small like a dishcloth is a good way to start.

LisaD715
07-23-2005, 11:31 AM
I am currently making discloths so I have quick things to do while I am packing. I wanted hand made dishcloths for my kitchen, I learned how to increase and decrease on them, as well as a few other stitches and they are done pretty quick.

I am using 100% cotton, I read somewhere that if you intend to use them you should only use that.

Jackie M.
07-23-2005, 11:57 AM
Anyone have pictures they can post of their dishcloths?

InterNette
07-23-2005, 12:56 PM
these are my cloths, I try and do one or two a day

rebecca
07-23-2005, 01:04 PM
That sounds like the reasoning that I get about knitting socks, too...lol! Why knit socks for x# of $ when you can buy a pair for $1.99?! Because I like to do it :D ; knitting socks is fun, fun, fun, oh yeah...and fun ;) .
I've not yet made dish clothes, but I'm going to because, like Lisa, I want handmade dishcloths in my kitchen...and you can have fun with them and do all sorts of sts on them ;) and experiment...and end up with very nice dishcloths in your kitchen, right?!

Silver
07-23-2005, 01:32 PM
Handknit washcloths are even better than dishcloths. They totally look the same, but you use one in the kitchen on dirty dishes, and the other in the bathroom on your body. :)

rebecca
07-23-2005, 01:51 PM
I love those washcloths, InterNette!! I've really got to go to Hancocks and get some cotton!!

Jackie M.
07-23-2005, 02:07 PM
Wow InterNette! Those are great! I can see the designs on them. Love the kitty cloth best.

MaggieL
07-23-2005, 02:14 PM
Love those cloths InterNette. :D

Jackie M.
07-23-2005, 03:16 PM
Wait a minute, InterNette. Did you say one or two a DAY??????

Rennagayle
07-23-2005, 03:30 PM
InterNette, those are beautiful! :shock:

I have crocheted several cotton dishcloths, and potholders, but I've not knit any yet. I didn't see the point in wasting my time on them; but now that you guys point it out, it does make sense to practice new stitches that way! :figureditout:

Personally, I think I'd rather use them for washcloths, as my dishcloths get to looking pret-tee nasty. :rollseyes:

LisaD715
07-23-2005, 06:18 PM
No where near as creative or as pretty as Nette's....but here are mine....

rebecca
07-23-2005, 06:34 PM
Lisa, be happy that we are internet friends...or I :mad: would just have to pinch you for saying something like that!!
Yours are too beautiful for words! AND I got the idea of doing them for my kitchen from you, you knitwit!! :roflhard: :roflhard: sorry, knitwit was funny to me :roflhard: :roflhard:
Anyway...don't ever say something like that :fingerwag: again!!

Jackie M.
07-23-2005, 07:36 PM
I love the stitches on your dishcloths Lisa! Going to look for patterns now

LisaD715
07-23-2005, 08:22 PM
Thanks Rebecca and Jackie, they are really easy to do, the pattern is called Grandmother's Favorite. I know there is a link to the site on pattern central. They are really very easy and quick. Besides, Sugar 'n Cream is sooooooo inexpensive, I paid 1.99 for 4 ounces and I have gotten 3 dishclothes out of the skein and I am not done yet. The varigated color was 3 oz and I am working on my 3rd cloth now.

Jackie, just to clarify...I am a novice knitter, I have only been knitting since January, so I am still learning so much. As several have said before, dishclothes are a way to work on new patterns and be done with an object quickly. Someone mentioned to Joel I think that cotton was hard to work with, but I have not found it to be, I have found it very easy to manipulate. I went looking for new patterns, and there are a bazillion out there to do. Now if I can just finish HP first......

InterNette
07-23-2005, 10:36 PM
Thanks everyone, I took the beginners knitting class last month in June and I am having a ball. I challenge myself with the videos and patterns I find. the dishcloths are a good way to practice. I also quilt and plan on doing potholders to match for some gifts. So I am working on a large stack, these take no time at all. Lisa I havent tried the grandmothers favorite, but they look sturdy and will be adding a couple of those also I think.

suziehomemaker
07-24-2005, 10:33 AM
I've been knitting dishcloths inbetween larger projects and they serve as nice breaks. Plus it's so refreshing to quickly finish a project. I'm saving them up to use as stocking stuffers this Christmas for the women in my family. Some of the varigated yarn looks so pretty with the simple patterns!

Sara
07-24-2005, 10:51 AM
Someone mentioned to Joel I think that cotton was hard to work with, but I have not found it to be, I have found it very easy to manipulate.

Joel was having a lot of trouble with his tension. I suggested he try working with an acrylic yarn because it is much more forgiving. You probably knit looser than he does, Lisa. Once he gets his tension issue resolved he may be able to go back to cotton and fly through those cloths. Everyone has their own yarn preference. I notice that I knit slower when I use cotton. So what am I using now? Cotton Ease! :lol:

Also, kitchen cotton is best for dishcloths, imo. And you can't beat the price!

dustinac
07-24-2005, 10:54 AM
The first thing I ever did was the Grandmother's Favorite I love that pattern!! It took me so long :frog: ... I was almost done the first time when discovered I did something wrong I had lost my edge when I started the other side down.... then my son found it... then something else happened anyways it got to the point where my family was teasing me with I don't think it wants to be knit so I hung in there lol now I can't bring myself to use it.. its a centerpiece on my kitchen table LOL has a candle on top of it...

I really like that cat one those are awesome you all did great work!!

Jackie M.
07-24-2005, 11:33 AM
OMG....I printed out the Grandmother's favorite pattern and just found all the dishcloth patterns here on knittinghelp free patterns. Now I can't stop myself! Is there a cure for this addiction? :inlove:

I can't knit fast enough to get to all the projects I want to knit.

First thing.....hang up the computer and get busy!
(but I'm addicted to this forum too).

JessicaR
10-21-2005, 01:18 AM
Hey, I'm pulling this back up. Do you just use the el cheapo yarn for these right? And if you're practicing patterns about what size needles do you use and how many stiched do you cast on to make a typical one?

Ingrid
10-21-2005, 07:53 AM
Sugar and Cream cotton works well for these and is about as cheap as you can get. Makes a nice cloth, though, and is pleasant to knit with. It's a worsted weight, so just to practice I think 6-9 would work.

KellyK
10-21-2005, 08:02 AM
And if you're practicing patterns about what size needles do you use and how many stiched do you cast on to make a typical one?

It depends on what pattern you are making....most will tell you exactly, but if not, it will say "a multiple of ___ ". In that case, if you are using 8's, 40-ish sts makes a nice sized cloth.

suziehomemaker
10-21-2005, 08:58 AM
I usually grab a pair of needles that I feel like using that day. Sometimes they're 8's and sometimes it's a 7 set. The nice thing with dishclothes is that size doesn't really matter to a certain extent.

Joel
10-21-2005, 11:04 AM
Wait a minute, InterNette. Did you say one or two a DAY??????
You caught that too....

Those are great Internette! Very nice!

(I'm way too slow (and too busy) to do one a day.)

Knitting
10-24-2005, 05:52 AM
these are my cloths, I try and do one or two a day

They are very pretty. I am working on a dolphin dishcloth now. Hope i do not give up. :)

One or two A DAY!? :thumbsup:

InterNette
10-26-2005, 07:10 PM
yeah i did one or two a day. I sit at a therapist waiting room for about 1.5 hours 3 days a week and doctors offices about 1 to 2 hours once to twice a week so i was pumping them out. Besides it was the only thing i kinda knew how to make and I suffer insomnia terribly and am up till 4 regularly. I finally made 2 sweaters , 2 shawls, one that is ugly and I moved onto an oregon tote. I did a stack of dishcloths to give out for presents, can give with a nice fancy bar or soap, some potholders in similar design, anything. They dont take long at all, it is only knit and purl. no seams, no short rows, and counting is easy with a clicker. I would really love a palm tree one, I wonder how hard it would be to make the pattern up yourself? Has anyone done this. Would you simply use graph paper?

InterNette
10-26-2005, 07:11 PM
yeah i did one or two a day. I sit at a therapist waiting room for about 1.5 hours 3 days a week and doctors offices about 1 to 2 hours once to twice a week so i was pumping them out. Besides it was the only thing i kinda knew how to make and I suffer insomnia terribly and am up till 4 regularly. I finally made 2 sweaters , 2 shawls, one that is ugly and I moved onto an oregon tote. I did a stack of dishcloths to give out for presents, can give with a nice fancy bar or soap, some potholders in similar design, anything. They dont take long at all, it is only knit and purl. no seams, no short rows, and counting is easy with a clicker. I would really love a palm tree one, I wonder how hard it would be to make the pattern up yourself? Has anyone done this. Would you simply use graph paper?

Ingrid
10-26-2005, 07:44 PM
http://www.sweaterscapes.com/grafpap.htm

This is knitters graph paper. You can draw your pattern on it.

brightspot
10-27-2005, 04:22 AM
Why make dishclothes. To wash your dishes! Knitted dishclothes just clean better than store bought. If you have spaghetti sauce or scrambled egg stuck to the counter they will scrub it up faster than anything. (Yes, I have kids learning to cook:D) I buy the cone of cotton and just knit up a bunch. They are great to work on at church (shh, so I can't sit still that long!) I can't post any since I give them away or use them as fast as I can make them, but I will try to remember to post them before hand.

brightspot
10-27-2005, 04:29 AM
I forgot to say that they are also fun to design since they are so small. My dd (13) and I spent the whole evening last week coming up with things I could knit on dishclothes and plotting them out. It was great fun and a great way to spend time with her even though she doesn't knit.

InterNette
10-27-2005, 08:00 AM
how hard was the plotting? I need some more designs I decided.
I also need more colors then the local selection of walmarts peaches and cream.

LisaD715
10-27-2005, 09:30 AM
I use my dishcloths....they are great. On the Grandmother's favorite, I used size 8 needles and increased the # of stitches to 50 in the middle, it makes a nicer size. I still love that pattern it is so easy.....but beautiful!

brightspot
10-27-2005, 12:35 PM
We didn't try to plot anything fancy, just k and p stitches to make pictures. I'm not good enough to try anything else yet. We just got 1/4" graph paper & drew a square the number of stitches we wanted (minus edges, our paper wasn't that big). Then we found the middle both ways and just started coloring in the squares. X for knit and O for purl. Sometimes you have to erase and fiddle with it to make it right. Then I wrote the directions (using the graph) like regular knitting directions. You just have to remember that the WS goes the opposite way from the RS and one is K and the other is P. I drew arrows in the margins to remind me. I am in the middle of knitting the first one & it is coming out great so far. If you are better than me you should be able to plot inc & dec and things to make it fancier. Good luck.

VictoiseC
10-28-2005, 04:34 PM
What a sweet topic! I read this the other day but never responded, then thought about it a lot and came back! It's funny to me coz that's exactly what I thought before I knit my first washcloth I call them.

I've only done one but I tried a really really neat new stitch I had never done and it was so much fun to watch it evolve. And, it's so pretty I haven't dared to use it, it's just hanging there in the bathroom looking pretty.

Btw, I love that crocheted dishcloth, the edge, that is very very pretty.

I looked for the new pattern I used and can't find it! Lost in Internet world. Some woman made this pattern up and named it after a race car driver???? I'll look some more. But IT IS FUN to do a washcloth! It's done so quickly! If only I can bring myself to use the next one!

:happydance:

P.S. Knitting in church! Wow, I've thought about trying that several times but it's a tiny little church and I think everyone would be watching (and scowling)! God must love a knitter though....

yarnpiggy
10-28-2005, 04:41 PM
...I looked for the new pattern I used and can't find it! Lost in Internet world. Some woman made this pattern up and named it after a race car driver???? I'll look some more. But IT IS FUN to do a washcloth! It's done so quickly! If only I can bring myself to use the next one!

Is this the one?

http://www.knittingknonsense.com/DW_cloth.html

brightspot
10-28-2005, 08:05 PM
When I knit in church I use the wooden needles that I made so they don't make any noise and I am usually knitting for charity anyway. What better place to do it? Just ask the pastor or leader if he/she minds. At least I am there I figure.

Ingrid
10-28-2005, 08:30 PM
A tip I learned from watching kids in art class that might be helpful here is to put your graph paper over a shape or picture that you want to transfer to the graph paper and tape it up on a window to trace it. You can see the outline so clearly and then you can adjust the edges later to fit the squares of the graph paper.

InterNette
10-28-2005, 08:43 PM
that is brillant Ingrid, I love that tip, gotta try it

brightspot
10-28-2005, 08:53 PM
I'm going to try it too. Great idea. :thumbsup:

VictoiseC
10-29-2005, 09:38 AM
OH my gosh! Yarnpiggy you got it! I can't believe you knew what I was talking about, it sounds so nutsy. I have a notebook of patterns somewhere around the house but couldn't find it, so I kept doing crazy google searches like dishcloth & racecar driver... I looked and looked and couldn't find that pattern. I don't know who the heck that Darrell Waltrip is but I loved the way the pattern came out, it was the first time I did a stitch like that. Thanks much!

Great tip Ingrid, if I ever get around to knitting an image.

Btw, have you all seen this grid for letters? It's Marnie's.

http://www.magknits.com/Aug05/pics/letterswGrid.pdf

brightspot
10-29-2005, 11:51 AM
Yarnpiggy, that is the neatest pattern. It would make a really cool hotpad. I have found my next project. :balloons:

Victoise, I was trying to make an ABC chart like that. Thank you so much for posting it. It will save me a bunch of time :mrgreen:

Ingrid
10-29-2005, 11:53 AM
http://vickidesigns.homestead.com/Alphabet.html

There are charts out there already! ;)

VictoiseC
10-29-2005, 01:19 PM
Hey you're welcome brightspot! Yes, it's really a sweet pattern and interesting to create it. I'm looking forward to using it as a hat next.

The grid is really nice, it's thanks to Marnie McClean's patterns that I found it. Glad I posted it!

yarnpiggy
10-29-2005, 06:25 PM
OH my gosh! Yarnpiggy you got it! I can't believe you knew what I was talking about, it sounds so nutsy. I have a notebook of patterns somewhere around the house but couldn't find it, so I kept doing crazy google searches like dishcloth & racecar driver... I looked and looked and couldn't find that pattern. I don't know who the heck that Darrell Waltrip is but I loved the way the pattern came out, it was the first time I did a stitch like that. Thanks much!

Great tip Ingrid, if I ever get around to knitting an image.

Btw, have you all seen this grid for letters? It's Marnie's.

http://www.magknits.com/Aug05/pics/letterswGrid.pdf

Awww, shucks, glad that was the one you were looking for! :happydance: The only reason it was fresh in my mind was that I had just visited the site recently and printed out some of her other patterns. I have no idea who Darrell Waltrip is either, but the fact that she made a pattern named after a racecar driver stuck in my mind.

VictoiseC
10-30-2005, 06:04 PM
Yup, pretty whacko.... racecar drivers and.... dishcloths????

:lol: