PDA

View Full Version : Whatcha Got?

BinkyKat
07-24-2005, 07:54 PM
How about we see what nifty tools or gadgets or whatnots we all have collected with our knitting? :D
Here are pics of my glass knitting needles I procured this spring on EBay. They are made of Pyrex. They are usable :XX: (albeit they are very slippery) but I find them to be more collectible and a conversation piece for sure!
:happydance:

Ingrid
07-24-2005, 08:00 PM
I have the usual junk, but those needles are gorgeous!

KellyK
07-24-2005, 08:15 PM
I dont have anything anywhere NEAR that cool or unusual....those are SO pretty!

MaggieL
07-24-2005, 08:22 PM
Love those needles! I don't have anything of interest.

rebecca
07-24-2005, 09:01 PM
I like those needles....a LOT; I'm afraid I have the usual stuff, nothing so cool...my most gadgety thing is an electronic row counter and I keep knitting info on my pda...somethimes....but no really cool stuff like those needles...NOW I want something really cool like that, perhaps when we take our short trip to Charleston in a couple of weeks i'll find cool stuff.
Binky....where did you get those gorgeous needles?!

BinkyKat
07-24-2005, 09:12 PM
I'm a total tool freak!
I got them all off EBay. The blue set I have to double check which seller but the other two I got from "gbglass" (Gail Blum Glass). One day I searched beaded knitting needles and came across them. Now I search that subject a lot and have seen beaded needles, glass ones, as well as beaded crochet hooks. I am totally in the wrong line of work... I've seen some of the crochet hooks go for $200 bucks :shock:.
My most expensive pair was 40.00 and these were about the 27.50 mark not counting shipping from the seller.
If anything looking up these unique items is a gas!

Silver
07-24-2005, 10:09 PM
Those needles are gorgeous. I don't have any neat needles... yet. I want my dad to make me some out of some exotic woods, but he's too busy building my spinning wheel. ;)

These are a couple neat things that I do have... my sheep measuring tape (press his belly to retract the tape), and my sterling silver fancy schmancy stitch markers (which I hardly ever use.. those little hooks on the ends tend to catch the yarn). But they're still purty and they're silver. :heart:

LisaD715
07-24-2005, 10:14 PM
How gorgeous!!! I love those needles, and the stitch markers are very nice!!

I don't have anything super cool like that, but some of my stuff is really old, never used, still in original packages. They were just handed to me by a lady at church when I mentioned that I was learning to knit.

Silver
07-24-2005, 10:27 PM
I don't have anything super cool like that, but some of my stuff is really old, never used, still in original packages. They were just handed to me by a lady at church when I mentioned that I was learning to knit.
That's way cooler than any new shiny tools, IMHO. Got a pic?

That reminds me... I do have a reeeeally old tiny crochet hook. My dad says it was handmade as you can see the file marks on the tip (with a magnifying glass), and the handle is bone. He thinks it's at least 100 years old.

I found it in my grandmother's jewelry box after she passed away. The interesting part is that I found it by accident only hours after reading through a pattern that called for a tiny crochet hook... something that I didn't have at the time.

I told my dad it's a really cool feeling to think that it found its way into the hands of someone who will use it for its intended purpose after all these years.

BinkyKat
07-24-2005, 10:50 PM
I really wanna get or make some beaded stitch markers. I'm a beading freak to so maybe one day I'll get to it. I thought about the snag factor too. I have had my eye on one of those sheep tapes, too c-ewe-te! :roflhard:
I have been fascinated with the hand turned crochet hooks.
Silver, funny you should mention your hook. I have hauled around an old sewing box of my grandma's from two apartments, a storage unit, and my parents house and just 3 or 4 months ago I came across it downstairs and decided to rummage through it again. I hadn't looked at it in ages, and found 3 tiny hooks in the bottom- one being a bone crochet hook. I totally felt the irony also about finally discovering this craft and I honestly feel like it was a "hello" from my grandma. She was an avid sewer and I don't know if she crocheted, but still, my mom says I inherited her crafty nature. I never knew her (she passed away when my mom was pregnant with me) but I know a lot about her. I am most inspired about how whe took in foster babies and sewed a lot of clothes for them to have when they were adopted.
I would love to go to estate sales to see what's out there in needles and such!

LisaD715
07-26-2005, 12:54 AM
I will post a pic after the move......everything is packed, except for dishcloth stuff.