PDA

View Full Version : What colors do you reach for first?

Silver
07-28-2005, 10:25 PM
After thinking about knitpicks and their limited colors, I thought it would be interesting to see what colors you prefer to knit with.

(Besides, I love to watch poll results develop!)

Personally, I tend to reach for whites first. White or offwhite goes with everything. But, I'm not afraid of color either.

KellyK
07-28-2005, 10:28 PM
I wasnt sure where "burnt" colors fell,,,burnt oranges, deep browns, greens, etc....I said JUST GIMME!!!

Rorshach
07-28-2005, 10:29 PM
For me, depends on what project, though if I'm not working on a project, I'll reach for the ugliest color I can to practice my stitching with.

Ingrid
07-28-2005, 10:31 PM
I love muted tweedy colors. I love the Jamieson & Smith yarns. If I win the lottery I will buy 10 of each of their 160 colors. They soothe my soul.

Aby
07-28-2005, 10:56 PM
I simply adore BRIGHT colors... bold neon or hot colors... :heart: :heart:

I think that is why I love Kureyon so much. Some of the colors are really stunning!

rebecca
07-28-2005, 11:05 PM
I normally grab pastels or rainbow colors; I voted pastels... :?? but I go for either. Why I voted pastels I don't know bc I'm working with primary (rainbow) colors with my project now...lol!!
Tomorrow I may yet have another answer...it really depends on my mood and the project; don't all of you feel like that :thinking: ?!

hedgehog
07-28-2005, 11:26 PM
Hmm... seeing as i'm still kinda goth-y i tend to like blacks, greys and white... Colors still scare me ;) (unless we're talking shocking hair color or bright green toe-nail polish :thumbsup:... I can't do the shocking hair anymore and i'm pretty sure my students think i'm in constant mourning, but they do love my green toes... ;) )

I know... I know... :doh: :D But professors are supposed to be weird! ;)

-hh

BinkyKat
07-28-2005, 11:26 PM
I kinda go for a bit of a combination.... I have been leaning towards plum, purples, blues, lime green, some tangerine and pinks.. Tropical colors I guess... when I am impulsively grabbing. I guess I've been thinking of funky accessory type things for scarves or whatever. But I do like muted tones for some things too, kind of like the examples in the Debbie Bliss books.
I have also been a person, when buying clothes, to like a color depending on what it's made of.. Like, I cannot stand brown, say, in a polyester jacket, but love it in a luxurious leather.

perhaps FREE would be my favorite color :happydance:

misstialouise
07-28-2005, 11:58 PM
I like muted colours... I'm very into that real antique/vintage look.. :D

LisaD715
07-29-2005, 12:39 AM
I agree Binky......love the muted colors, and tend to reach for shades of purple first.....they are most comforting to me.

brendajos
07-29-2005, 12:59 AM
have ya seeeeeen some of the stuff i have finished? :rofling: i am waaaay into bright obnoxious colors. I always have been...even my clothes are obnoxiously bright. 5 lime green shirts ...bright bright bright!!

foldedbird
07-29-2005, 02:49 AM
I usually grab for something blue (my fav) but lately I'm getting into tans, creams, chocolate, and brown. I'm working on a cream queensland khatmandu aran & champagne fun fur shrug right now.

I just finished a blue chemo cap.

MaryS
07-29-2005, 08:12 AM
I wish I could vote twice. :??

Muted and shades of color - dark blue, ocean blue, sky blue in same item - for me and most of the 40yr and up people I knit for.
Bright colors for my children and nieces, etc. Green, turquiose and purple blend for DDs Xmas sweater, yellow and orange for a niece, bright primary color variegated for other niece.

Yarn just makes me HAPPY! :happydance: :happydance:

Mary

dustinac
07-29-2005, 08:51 AM
:thinking: If ya look in my basket you will see pastels for baby items, rose and dark greens that my mom gave me.. bright colors that I picked up... and then I also like what reminds me of prim colors so have some of those too... pretty much I see a color have to have it then try to figure out what do with it later so I Have all types LOL :lol:

punkhippiemom
07-29-2005, 01:33 PM
I didn't see it on here, but I like deep, rich colors, jewel tones I think is the term for it... cobalt and sapphire blue, burgundy reds, emerald greens... when I'm not doing those colors tho, I like to stick to neutrals, so that's what I voted for... Like Silver said, white or off-white goes with everything (tho I prefer grays and blacks - I have small children, and whites and off-whites also tend to attract everything... dirt, coffee, spaghetti sauce, peanut-butter covered fingers...)
Great poll, Silver
(btw, is that your tattoo??? too cool...)

Aello
07-29-2005, 05:33 PM
For me, depends on what project, though if I'm not working on a project, I'll reach for the ugliest color I can to practice my stitching with.

My choices depend on the project as well, but I have a tendency to do that too lol.. my practice skeins are just hideous lol I don't know why...

Silver
07-29-2005, 05:57 PM
Well, I guess I missed out on a few color choices. Jewel colors, earth colors, burnt colors. Oopsie! ;)

(btw, is that your tattoo??? too cool...)Yeppers. Thank you! :)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-29-2005, 08:46 PM
isn't it neat to see how different we are!

I said magentas, purples, blues . All of the yarn in my stash that I pass over going "ennhhhhhhh" is beige, brown, khaki,tan, etc.

javede
07-30-2005, 02:17 AM
I always reach first for the bright girly pink...then my brain intervenes and I go for turquoise or brown. Can't have everything in pink!

MaggieL
07-31-2005, 10:32 AM
Earth tones: greens, browns, yellows.

Green is my favorite color, althought I don't like all shades of green.