PDA

View Full Version : THANK YOU!! (for the discounted yarn)

suziehomemaker
07-29-2005, 09:28 PM
I can't remember who mentioned this here so I wanted to send a huge thank you to whoever mentioned shopping at Tuesday Morning for discounted & discontinued yarn. One just opened up near me (actually on my way home from work) and I finally got to visit tonight.

I ended up buying 12 skeins of WoolEase yarn all in earth tones for only $30! That's not bad since one skein normally goes for $4.99 to $5.99 at Michael's or JoAnn's. I went with my DH and he loves that brand for his wool socks plus my dad loves it too so I thought why not stock up.

The colors are:

Wood (looks like a tweed)
Mushroom (a light tan-ish grey)
Natural Heather (grey-ish cream)
Black (uh . . black)

So I have a total of 1305 yards in each color. Any suggestions on possible projects, besides my favorite socks? They did have more of the Wood and Natural Heather so I could go back if a project called for more . . .

Wow, this is my first purchase of yarn that I didn't already have a specific project in mind. How scary and exciting at the same time!
:cheering:

Ingrid
07-29-2005, 09:38 PM
I made a sweater for my grandson a while back with three of those four colors! It was a Dale of Norway pattern that called for dk weight, but I made a size 3 and it came out to be about a 6 ish.

snephenie
07-29-2005, 09:38 PM
Oh no, you did not just tell me that. There is one right by the grocery store.

"Honey, I'm running to the store for ice cream for you, be back in a few"

:XX:

suziehomemaker
07-29-2005, 09:41 PM
I really had to search for it too. Bottom shelf but 3 bags deep. They had a ton of CottonEase in loud colors (fire engine red and Halloween orange), some baby yarn in a brand I didn't recognize, plus some plastic needles.

BinkyKat
07-29-2005, 09:46 PM
dangit, our Tuesday hasn't opened yet. I've driven by it a couple times since this spring, not movin' too fast!
those colors make me crave some of my irish cream cheesecake.. :drooling:

Vendie
07-29-2005, 09:58 PM
i had no idea! i just went to their website and found out i actually do have one near me!!! i'm going to have to go check that out sometime...thanks to whoever mentioned that!

ChroniclesofYarnia
07-29-2005, 10:05 PM
Mine is closed now that I have the cash to go grab some to make Christmas presents. They re-open in August, so I am crossin gmy fingers that the yarn is all still there.

Ingrid
07-30-2005, 12:18 AM
Just checked out your blog. Beautiful job on the blanket! I expect it'll show up here soon!

suziehomemaker
07-30-2005, 09:19 AM
So what should I make with all of this?

I want to go back and buy more but DH said I need a stated purpose for the yarn first. That's only because he knows I might regret it later.

I can make a pair of socks easily with each skein. But I was thinking about possibly a sweater. How many yards would it take for a basic sweater for a woman comfortable in L and XL clothes? I was thinking something for me or my mother. I'm thinking 1300 yards is probably a good minimum. I'm not sure if they had that much there but I could always try . . .

Ingrid
07-30-2005, 09:31 AM
I think you're underestimating the yardage for a L-XL sweater. I know there's a chart out there somewhere, but I just grabbed a book of raglan sweaters that makes each sweater in lots of sizes.

For a basic pullover, in size 44 (finished sz 49), for example, you need about 1600 yards of worsted weight.

I wear a medium-large and if I don't have a pattern in mind figure on 1500 yds. minimum.

suziehomemaker
07-30-2005, 09:35 AM
Wow, I don't think they had that much left. Well I can always make the scarves (Irish hiking is still my favorite) and the socks that my family actually like! Maybe I'll try finding a took to match (that's a winter hat to all of the non-Northeast/non-Canadian knitters out there). I think I saw one with cables on the flipped up part and that would match nicely!

kemp
07-30-2005, 10:10 AM
Yay for you! My TM still has tons of that stuff. I did buy some cotton ease, but I haven't decided what to do with it yet :shock:

KellyK
07-30-2005, 10:11 AM
I have a bunch of Woolease...I think it may be the natural heather, as a matter of fact, that I am planning to make Sonnet (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall03/PATTsonnet.html) with....eventually.

DotMom61
07-30-2005, 10:15 AM
I really had to search for it too. Bottom shelf but 3 bags deep. They had a ton of CottonEase in loud colors (fire engine red and Halloween orange),

Hey! Watch it! That Halloween orange might turn up on someone you run into at a local knitters gathering.

http://photos21.flickr.com/29046102_f49bf0c15e_m.jpg

(Actually, it's being frogged as we speak, but I did want to try again.)

DISCLAIMER: I'm not really upset with Suzie ... she doesn't have to like the same colors I like. This is said with tongue in cheek, and no tongues or cheeks were harmed in the authoring of this note.

KellyK
07-30-2005, 10:24 AM
Jul....I LOVE your disclaimers! :roflhard:

kemp
07-30-2005, 10:26 AM
I really had to search for it too. Bottom shelf but 3 bags deep. They had a ton of CottonEase in loud colors (fire engine red and Halloween orange),

Hey! Watch it! That Halloween orange might turn up on someone you run into at a local knitters gathering.

http://photos21.flickr.com/29046102_f49bf0c15e_m.jpg

(Actually, it's being frogged as we speak, but I did want to try again.)

DISCLAIMER: I'm not really upset with Suzie ... she doesn't have to like the same colors I like. This is said with tongue in cheek, and no tongues or cheeks were harmed in the authoring of this note.

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

That top is cute...details, please!

DotMom61
07-30-2005, 10:37 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

That top is cute...details, please!

Thanks, Kemp. Here's (http://www.magknits.com/warm04/patterns/tricot.htm) a link to the pattern, and here's (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1047&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180) my sad story about why it's getting frogged. (see bottom of the page).

kemp
07-30-2005, 10:40 AM
I just checked it out. Maybe before you frog it, you should wash it to see if the holes get reduced...it will also stretch some :) HATE to see something that finished get frogged :(

kemp
07-30-2005, 10:42 AM
aww crap (am I allowed to say that???). I just read the rest. Sorry washing didn't help.

DotMom61
07-30-2005, 10:44 AM
Well, thanks, but we've already been through that. :( I got it good and wet and blocked it, and it's really about 2 sizes too small. It's not that big of a deal, really. I would be much happier with it if I just knit it over again and tried smaller needles & a larger sweater size. I also think I'll try knitting it in the round next time.

DotMom61
07-30-2005, 10:44 AM
aww crap (am I allowed to say that???). I just read the rest. Sorry washing didn't help.

:roflhard: :roflhard:

Don't you hate it when that happens!?

suziehomemaker
07-30-2005, 10:13 PM
Julie - My SIL and loves Halloween orange and I almost bought that CottoneEase to make her something, but she lives in Florida . . .

BTW, your sweater looks like a pinkish color on my compter screen.

DotMom61
07-30-2005, 11:41 PM
Julie - My SIL and loves Halloween orange and I almost bought that CottoneEase to make her something, but she lives in Florida . . .

BTW, your sweater looks like a pinkish color on my compter screen.

Pink? Really? No ... it's that Halloween orange. :lol: You could make your s-i-l a tank top w/ the orange stuff. Here's one! (http://www.cu-needleworks.com/Patterns/Quick_ez_shell/quick_ez_shell.htm)

suziehomemaker
07-31-2005, 10:13 AM
That's a really cute tank, I'll have to email the link to her to see if she likes it. Might be a good Christmas present!

kitkat
07-31-2005, 11:35 AM
I am using the Wood in my Afghan from Hell....it makes up very nicely plus it will be washable and durable. It is softer to work with than I thought it might be too. Not at all skritchy.

No Tuesday Morning near me demmit.

Ingrid
07-31-2005, 11:48 AM
I am using the Wood in my Afghan from Hell....it makes up very nicely plus it will be washable and durable. It is softer to work with than I thought it might be too. Not at all skritchy.

I'm really surprised that wood would be soft! :thinking:

DotMom61
07-31-2005, 11:49 AM
That's a really cute tank, I'll have to email the link to her to see if she likes it. Might be a good Christmas present!

I thought it was cute, too. I think I'm going to give it a try for myself. I'm not ready to make clothes to give away yet. I haven't managed to knit one yet that I haven't ripped out. :rollseyes: (Except for my DD's tank, I guess.)

Let me know if you decide to make this for her, and we can start a knit along.

DotMom61
07-31-2005, 11:57 AM
I'm really surprised that wood would be soft! :thinking:

All right, Ingrid, we'll have your desk plate ready soon:

Ingrid, Director in Charge of Spelling Errors

:rofling:

Ingrid
07-31-2005, 12:11 PM
Its a character flaw. If it was spelling, I wouldn't say anything. Typos that are funny, on the other hand. . ..

DotMom61
07-31-2005, 08:02 PM
Likewise ... But I'm making mental notes of the spelling errors I see on here. :fingerwag: ( hee hee )

I used to do Medical Transcription in a previous life. The group of us that kind of worked together used to call ourselves "Word Warriors." I love words. :-) Geeky, yes, I know. I also used to read the dictionary when I was a child. :oops:

Ingrid
07-31-2005, 08:09 PM
During free time now during summer school, the teacher and other staff in the room play Scrabble, each with a student as a 'partner.' I, apparently, am the Scrabble Dictionary. I'm also consulted by other staff on crossword puzzles, too. I know I'm not smarter than these people. I just tell them that English is my native language. I guess some of us are 'language minded' the way others lean toward math.

DotMom61
07-31-2005, 11:35 PM
During free time now during summer school, the teacher and other staff in the room play Scrabble, each with a student as a 'partner.' I, apparently, am the Scrabble Dictionary. I'm also consulted by other staff on crossword puzzles, too. I know I'm not smarter than these people. I just tell them that English is my native language. I guess some of us are 'language minded' the way others lean toward math.

That's hilarious, Ingrid. I love to play Scrabble. And I think you're right about language strengths, etc. I'm not bad at math, but I definitely have a much stronger intuition about language than I do for math. I love discovering word origins and making up my own words using unusual combinations. (e.g., my son has a much loved stuffed cat that is definitely showing it's age. After reading a book about dinosaurs, we decided the it must be a plateofeline -- flat cat.) Of course, it's even more fun to find obscure words to throw into conversation occasionally just to see who will pick up on it.

OK ... enough word geekiness. :-)