PDA

View Full Version : Movies to watch while knitting

Vendie
07-30-2005, 11:06 AM
Apologies if something like this has already been posted. :oops:

Ok since my satellite service is getting cut off on Aug 1 (really, I meant to do that :oops: ), I have a need to flesh out my Netflix queue.

Is anyone else on Netflix (I've seen it mentioned a few times in various threads) ? Love the Netflix!! I haven't tried it yet, but I know that "friends" can make recommendations for each other's accounts. If anyone is interested in that, let me know!

If you're not on Netflix, just post some recommendations. Netflix has EVERYTHING, so I'm sure I'll find it. :heart: My dad found the movie that he and my mom saw on their first date, so he signed up! :heart: Isn't that sweet?

PLEASE HELP! Don't let my :XX: suffer b/c I don't have anything to watch on tv!!!

-wendie

kemp
07-30-2005, 11:31 AM
The Princess Bride.

leapinfrog
07-30-2005, 12:10 PM
I love Netflix. I used to have an account with a S.F. based online rental company that actually made contributions back to the independent movie maker's union. Unfortunately, the major motion picture movies they had available was extremely limited, thus I switched back to Netflix ( I quit them when they tried to raise their fees).

I usually knit when I'm watching a comedy, like Miss Congeniality, or Meet the Fockers.

Happy kniting! :XX:

BinkyKat
07-30-2005, 12:15 PM
i don't have netflix, but i love the movie Out of Arica

Contiknitter Kelly
07-30-2005, 12:27 PM
Fried green tomatoes...
(Ahpu's wife from the Simpson's said it was her favorite book, movie and food) I saw it for the 1st time a couple of months ago and I knitted my french market bag (well, not the whole thing but some....)
Out of Africa too though, that is one of my top 3 movies.

BinkyKat
07-30-2005, 12:32 PM
ooo, ooo, fgt... love that one!
and Somewhere in Time, christopher reeve...prrrrr

Jackie M.
07-30-2005, 12:37 PM
"You've Got Mail"

Ingrid
07-30-2005, 12:47 PM
The Butterfly Effect--Don't be turned off by Ashton Kutchner in this movie. He's actually good in it.

Dragonfly-Kevin Costner

Pirates of the Caribbean--gotta love Johnny

JGM
07-30-2005, 01:08 PM
I just watched an Evening with Kevin Smith the past two nights whilst knitting. Good because you can get away with just looking at your knitting instead of the TV because he just talks. Hilarious stuff though.

Contiknitter Kelly
07-30-2005, 01:14 PM
Binkycat,
Sounds like you and I love the same movies. I've got "Somewhere in time" tivo'd :thumbsup: I won't erase it. Yes, Chris was just adorable pining for Jane that whole time. Another Chris I like is Christopher Walken in the Dead Zone and the Deer Hunter (before he turned rotten.... I still love 'em though) his smile just melts me in those movies :inlove: as well as John Travolta's smile in the wading pool in Grease. Oooh lordy, takes my breath away :blush:

BinkyKat
07-30-2005, 01:53 PM
Johhnnnnnn Trrrraaaavvvoooollllttaaaa... :inlove:
Oh, and Kate & Leopold, and Someone Like You... of course my FAVE man Hugh!
Kevin Smith is groovy too!
I think Somewhere in Time is the first movie I cried like an idiot for when I was a teen..
SciFi movies are cool too, but dh HAS to watch them in the dark, so out comes the booklight...so, Star Wars...you don't have to "watch" and can listen right along and not miss anything.

p.s. Uncle Buck was just on whilst I loaded the dish washy... seen it a dozen times, but this line just caught my ear "I didn't know cheerleaders lived in the woods?" :roflhard:

Rennagayle
07-30-2005, 04:09 PM
One of my all time faves is Dirty Dancing. I still swoon over Patrick Swayze (showing my age, I guess). The music is great in it, if you like oldies. My 21yod and I love to watch it together, and our favorite line is..

NOBODY puts Baby in a corner! :fingerwag:

:rofling:

EmilyKaye
07-30-2005, 05:40 PM
Although i usually catch up on my Tivo'ed Paula Deen Cooking Shows while I knit, Movies are great too! I just watched Green Mansions with Audrey Hepburn yesterday. Sweet November is a good one too, also see if NetFlix has tv shows....I used to cross stich watching Dawsons creek!
My husband made me watch the Godfather movies and I crocheted my son a blanket!

ekgheiy
07-30-2005, 06:11 PM
My various choices off the top of my head ... Finding Nemo, Aliens, AvP, Tremors, ... I could go on forever 'cause basically ... I'll knit to almost any movie. But my word of advise on the subject though ... I don't knit anything too challenging, that way, I don't get flustered if/when I mess up. :lol: So choose something easy enough to split your attention, but not so easy that you get bored with your knitting and watch the movie alone... :rofling:

Vendie
07-30-2005, 06:43 PM
Another Chris I like is Christopher Walken

"Frankenstein doesn't scare me...marsupials do...cuz they're fast"

(please someone tell me they get this :pray: )

Vendie
07-30-2005, 06:48 PM
Great suggestions everyone. I think Princess Bride might be my favorite movie of all time. I may have to add it to the ol' netflix list for old times sake.

I just watched Kill Bill vol. 1, and vol 2 will be coming shortly (I have the 1 at a time, unlimited level of service, the cheapest). While I'm waiting for that, I'll have to take a peak into the dvd closet to see what we have. I think mostly we have Indiana Jones movies, Finding Nemo, and some yoga dvds. hmmm... :thinking:

Oh, wait, I've got to add another favorite for others looking for ideas: Smoke Signals, a great little Indie film (my favorite kind).

Vendie
07-30-2005, 06:58 PM
Although i usually catch up on my Tivo'ed Paula Deen Cooking Shows while I knit, Movies are great too! I just watched Green Mansions with Audrey Hepburn yesterday. Sweet November is a good one too, also see if NetFlix has tv shows....I used to cross stich watching Dawsons creek!
My husband made me watch the Godfather movies and I crocheted my son a blanket!

That is the one thing I'm going to miss most about not having satellite/cable - Food Network! I wish Paula Dean was my aunt or something! And Tyler, what a cutie :inlove: And yes, I do have a geek crush on Alton Brown :blush: the man knows everything! I :heart: a man that cooks, which is why I just swoon over my DH.

I've put Scrubs, Arrested Development and Sex and the City on my Netflix list. I'll probably put Buffy on too.

Rennagayle
07-30-2005, 07:14 PM

Umm..... :??

KellyK
07-30-2005, 08:39 PM
I like to knit to Musicals because, 1) I love musicals, and 2) they dont usually have alot of special effects that you would miss seeing. Well, Chicago has GREAT costumes, but I've watched it so many times that I can picture what's going on while Im singing...um, I mean KNITTING.

Contiknitter Kelly
07-30-2005, 09:30 PM
How 'bout Spiderman....
My daughter found this '"dancing" spiderman somewhere for me. Isn't he hilarious :roflhard: !
I can't stop watching him go. He's really working it!

Aby
07-30-2005, 10:56 PM
EXTREMELY SCARY horror movies. I knocked out the rest of my FIL's hat while watching Resident Evil. Horror movies are the BEST!!! :happydance: :happydance:

jessi_9783
07-31-2005, 02:30 AM
I recommend "The Upside of Anger" starring Joan Allen and Kevin Costner. I watched it with my mom at 2 AM Saturday and I knitted the entire time. The movie is hilarious.

BinkyKat
07-31-2005, 02:38 AM

I get it... Frankenstein stomps around real slow, you should be able to get away from him, unless you are wearing spiked heals and an evening gown at a castle and have to run away from him and fall and break your heal... :thumbsup:

benniesma
07-31-2005, 09:20 PM
I just love Alton Brown! I love how he explains why you do things. The show on cheesecake is so far my favorite. Mmmmm.....cheeeeesecake.

I do agree with Kelly on the musicals. I recently had "I Feel Pretty" stuck in my head for about 3 days. And you know the only way to get them out of your head is to sing them to everyone you meet! My DH just loves it. :doh:

Unfortunately, I don't have any movies to recommend for knitting. I have a hard time watching anything while I knit. I get so sucked into the story that I watch and don't knit. Even movies that I've seen a million times. And I worked in a video store for 6 years. I think I've seen every movie ever made at least tha much!

foldedbird
07-31-2005, 10:16 PM
I watched Pride and Prejudice over 3 days and worked on my shrug. Yum, Mr. Darcy.

foldedbird
07-31-2005, 10:18 PM
Good Eats is the bomb. I've got about 50 hours of it on my DVR!

jessi_9783
08-01-2005, 12:19 AM
Foldedbird, was Mr. Darcy played by Colin Firth? If so, I watched and knitted too. I'm also listening to the book.

foldedbird
08-01-2005, 12:32 AM
OOh, yes, Colin Firth is Mr. Darcy. Yummity yum yum. Did you watch it on BIO this last week? That's the one I watched...what a coinky dink if we were watchin' and knittin' at the same time!

Books on tape rule. That's on my list of things to get...*sigh*.

Denise

jessi_9783
08-01-2005, 02:58 AM
YeaH, it was on BIO. That's so cool that we were watching and knitting to the same movie at the same time. I love audiobooks. Audible.com (http://www.audible.com) is my favorite website, well besides KH. They have a huge selection. You could get lost for days at time at Audible. I just finished listening to Jane Eyre and it was even better than I remembered. Your right Denise, audiobooks do RULE!!!

Vendie
08-01-2005, 07:30 AM
I know, since I haven't received my next movie from Netflix yet, I went to the library and checked out their books on tape/cd collection (BTW, my library sucks when it comes to knitting books - their entire collection fits on half a shelf. I'm a librarian, so when I say it sucks, that means something). I "rented" Life of Pi. So far it's a good book, has anyone read/listened to it? The main character is an Indian guy who emmigrated from India to Canada when he was 16 and along the way, the ship he and his family were on sunk. The only ones who survived were Pi (the boy), a Bengal tiger, a hyena, a zebra, and an orangatan named Orange Juice. That's where I am right now, in the middle of the Pacific Ocean...anyway, it reads more like a personal philosophy essay on religion and animal behavior, but it's still really interesting.

blah blah blah, keep the movie suggestions coming!

Vendie
08-01-2005, 07:35 AM

Ok since no one is posting :roflhard:'s there must not be many Bob and Tom listeners on the KH forum...This quote is from Kevin Pollack doing his now famous Christopher Walken impression. Now, Kevin Pollack is a pretty famous actor (the Usual Suspects, etc), but I believe he is now more famous for this impression as heard on the Bob and Tom morning radio show than for anything else he's done.

foldedbird
08-01-2005, 02:32 PM
YeaH, it was on BIO. That's so cool that we were watching and knitting to the same movie at the same time... I just finished listening to Jane Eyre and it was even better than I remembered. Your right Denise, audiobooks do RULE!!!

That's so wicked...we rule, too.

BinkyKat
08-01-2005, 08:55 PM
i haven't heard bob and tom in a long time.. they're funny...
one of the radio stations here plays a clip of christopher walken from snl "I gotta feva... and the only prescription? is more COWBELL"
:roflhard: :roflhard:

how about watching the North and South miniseries with Patrick Swayze? :inlove:

foldedbird
08-01-2005, 09:03 PM
N&S w/Swayze.. wow, that would get you through a whole aran afghan wouldn't it?

Carol_OH
08-02-2005, 04:39 PM
well, movies NOT to watch while knitting:

Memento
Hotel
(i.e., flicks where you have to pay attention to everything)

and all foreign films when you don't know the language!

:D :shock: :D

kemp
08-02-2005, 04:43 PM
this one is a little goofy, but I watched supervolcano (about yellowstone) last night on the discovery channel (we taped it) and it is perfect for knitting. Very interesting and educational, but you don't need to watch it every second!

koolbreeze
08-02-2005, 06:41 PM
while trying to finish my shawl last night i watched Anchorman w/ Will Ferrel...had me crackin up. :roflhard: but i've seen it before so i didn't have 2 watch it!

Vendie
08-02-2005, 07:25 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking that's the trend here - "watch" movies you've already seen so you don't really have to pay attention to them. The whole movie idea sounded really good at first, but the more I think about the harder it will be! Unless of course I work on a st st baby blanket....

Perhaps I should start a new thread, books to listen to while knitting (I'm getting quite a lot accomplished listening to Life of Pi right now. But I do love seeing everyone's movie choices. I had no idea there were so many Swayze fans...I have a HUGE crush on Christian Bale (Batman Begins, Little Women, Swing Kids, etc...) :heart: :heart: :heart:

Kill Bill Vol. 2 just arrived today, and since I was sort of glued to the first one, I probably won't get much done tonight. Oh well, guess I'll just have to snuggle with DH :heart: poor me.

Vendie
08-02-2005, 07:30 PM
i haven't heard bob and tom in a long time.. they're funny...
one of the radio stations here plays a clip of christopher walken from snl "I gotta feva... and the only prescription? is more COWBELL"
:roflhard: :roflhard:

Yay Binky!!! I was starting to think this crowd was too tame for Bob and Tom!!! I just started getting DH to listen to them (he hates "morning DJs" generally). And of course they broadcast out of my current hometown :happydance: They have a clip of another comic doing a fantastic Walken as Papa Smurf impression. He said he and Pollack should have a Walken-off. I'd really like to hear that!

koolbreeze
08-02-2005, 07:55 PM
never heard of Bob and Tom...

BinkyKat
08-03-2005, 12:29 AM
KB, they're a pair of crazy dj's that perhaps you don't want your kids to listen to... :roflhard:
I wonder what the next invention from Frigg'emAll Industries will be? :shock:

Vendie
08-03-2005, 07:28 AM
Well thanks to FCC, they've cleaned up a bit over the years, but you still probably don't want your kids listening...their website (http://www.bobandtom.com) but WARNING, much material is of questionable taste.

the two latest products that I particularly enjoy are the Jim Johnson Memory System (he just keeps repeating himself in the commercial) and the Jim Johanson (Jackson, Jeffers, etc) Vocabulary Builder-upper (everyone's using their new vocabulary completely wrong). Jim Jackson, you're a genus!

Sorry, I'll stop.

caviar
08-03-2005, 05:00 PM
On movies NOT to watch while knitting...

So I'm like five years behind the times and had never seen Amelie. Got it from Netflix (love that!), popped it in, settled down to knit, and realized it was all in French with English subtitles. No dubbing options. Normally I like subtitles better, but needless to say I wasn't amused that day, and I certainly didn't get much knitting done! :roflhard: Anyway, it was totally worth it...good flick.

Kirstin

brendajos
08-03-2005, 05:16 PM
lol...well i was thinking the same thing, i think almost all movies are good for knitting (hence the funny looks while i am knitting in the theatre!) but for subtitled movies. I have several movies that i love but rarely watch because i can't do other things while "watching"...just can't sit and just watch a movie anymore...must multitask! ;)

Vendie
08-03-2005, 06:59 PM
Loved loved LOVED :heart: :heart: Amelie! But, yes not one to watch while knitting. Neither is Run Lola Run (german).

Got absolutely no knitting done yesterday watching Kill Bill Vol 2, but loved the film. Since DH will be busy playing WoW tonight, I'll get more knitting done ;)

Catherine
08-03-2005, 08:31 PM
Antonia's Line - because Antonia wears beautiful hand knitted shawls - they will inspire you. We have Netflix and watch movies often. We like foreign films - I have been practicing my Spanish watching Spanish language films - but sometimes reading subtitles and knitting at the same time gets a bit difficult.

Ingrid
08-03-2005, 08:37 PM
I used to rent subtitled movies--some were very good, and would never have been as good if the Chinese folks, for example, were dubbed in English. But, I just can't sit and watch a movie anymore. If I'm just doing some straight knitting I can catch most of the movie, but not subtitles.

koolbreeze
08-03-2005, 10:13 PM
i can't do subtitles... that means i have to pay attention. and i don't have any glasses so i can't really see whatthey are saying. so i really don't like them. i was all excited about "Hero" with Jet Lei (cause i really like him) and was po when i sat to watch cause it had subtitles. of course i was trying to knit too ;) lets just say it was already weird and the subtitles made it worst. i don't know what the movie was about and i couldn't finish it.
but i did like "The Last Samuri" which i didn't think i would. but it was very good

caviar
08-03-2005, 11:56 PM
Antonia's Line - because Antonia wears beautiful hand knitted shawls - they will inspire you.

That's my fav foreign flick!!! Funny, I saw it in Spain the first time, so the movie was Dutch and the subtitles were Spanish. That was weird. I liked it even better with English subtitles on video. :)

dustinac
08-04-2005, 08:49 AM
Any movie I have seen before that way I know whats going on without stopping to look up LOL however, my one 80s flick I love Dirty Dancing whenever I hear the baby in the corner Line I have to look up and watch :shifty:

Carol_OH
08-04-2005, 09:05 AM
everyone's mentioning such great flicks!!!! Another foreign classic (and the daughter has on a cool knitted jacket) 'Jean de Fleurette" (sp?)

I loved both Kill Bill movies, though I liked Kill Bill 1 better than 2 - I think because it was more anime-ish than the second one. Gotta watch them again, though.

Sara
08-05-2005, 11:57 AM
I love "Strictly Ballroom"! That's a must on your Netflicks list!