PDA

View Full Version : Hogwarts Scarf

Ennormir
08-21-2005, 12:02 AM
I know a lot of people are probably going to try and knit a nifty scarf before the new movie premier, and I had a hunch I'm not the only on KH who is. ;) So I figured I'd start a knit-along! Yay!

There are two different scarves I'll be making. One is a block scarf as in the first and second movies. The pattern I'm using is here (http://knit.atypically.net/scarves/hogwarts/pattern.shtml).

The scarf I'm working on now is like the scarves in The Prisoner of Azkaban, and from what I can tell, it'll be like the one's in Goblet of Fire too. XD The pattern for that scarf is here (http://knit.atypically.net/scarves/azkaban/pattern.shtml).

I just started knitting it today. I hope someone joins me! :)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/ennormir/poa_knitalong.jpg (http://www.woolgathering.net/archives/knitalongs/hppoa.html)

tab
08-21-2005, 02:31 PM
I'm at my fourth stripe in the first scarf - does that still count? I didn't like the PoA design as much, so I'm sticking to the design from the first two movies. It's actually going to be a Christmas present for my little brother, but if I can get it done by the time the movie comes out it'd be neat.
I'm considering investing in some books on cassette/CD, though. I can only take so much of this knitting every row before I need something else to do or I go insane.

Ennormir
08-21-2005, 02:57 PM
Welcome to the knit-along! Yay!!!

I like that design too. What house scarf are you making? I'm making a slytherin scarf, and it's a birthday present for my little sister. I'll also be trying to make a ravenclaw book color PoA style scarf for myself, and a Ravenclaw movie Sorcerer's Stone version scarf for my cousin. @__@ Prbably not before the movie, but I do want to make them. :D

I'm really glad you joined! :heart:

tab
08-21-2005, 08:36 PM
Whoops, I forgot to mention. I'm making the Gryffindor scarf because that's just the way my little brother is - he'd love to be Harry Potter. I might make myself a Ravenclaw scarf sometime, although I don't know which colour set I'd use. The bibliophile in me wants to stay true to the books, but the magpie in me likes the shiny silver so much. Bah, nobody will get it either way, since Ravenclaw gets next to no publicity. It'll just be a pretty scarf.

Ennormir
08-21-2005, 09:58 PM
LOL! I understand! But that'll actually work in my favor. I'll be able to wear the scarf everwhere without being labled as an HPfanatic. Which is good sometimes. ;)

I'm having a hard time deciding which colors to make too. I love the book version, because it's canon. But I LOVE silver and blue together!!! I think I'll just have to make two. :)

I finished the first MC stripe, and the first CC stripe. I'm working on the next MC and I'm trying to finish at least the second CC by tonight. Then I might have a fighting chance of getting this scarf done within three weeks. ^^"

D
08-22-2005, 10:16 PM
You're not the only one! I'm doing the PS/SS/CoS scarf, I started it on August 7th. I'm a little more than halfway done. I've been stalling lately, though. I'm working on something else for a little bit. :)

Diane

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-22-2005, 11:33 PM
WOW! Cool idea!!! I hope everyone posts pics!

D
08-23-2005, 12:01 AM
Here's some progress pics for me so far:
8-7-05:
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3695/scarf8720056ta.jpg
8-8-05:
http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/9712/scarf8820055lh.jpg
8-15-05:
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/9185/scarf81520058hi.jpg

Ennormir
08-23-2005, 11:38 AM
Oh WOW!!! Your scarf looks awesome!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Way to go!!! :thumbsup:

I'm currently ripping my progress and waiting for my circulars to come in. I hope my scarf turns out so beautfifully!

Cynthia Blue
08-24-2005, 02:52 PM
Mine is done! Well, except for the tassels, hopefully they'll go on tonight. ;)

http://www.cynthiablue.net/mygallery/HPScarf

ekgheiy
08-24-2005, 03:03 PM
Here's some progress pics for me so far: ...Dude!! That totally rawks!! ;)

Ennormir
08-25-2005, 08:16 AM
CYNTHIA!!!

Didn't I see that one pic on LJ???

^_^ Nice to meet you!

MaggieL
08-25-2005, 06:38 PM
Woo hoo. Going to my LYS tomorrow. I hope they have HP colors. :mrgreen:

Ennormir
08-25-2005, 06:46 PM
ooh! What house scarf will you be making?

MaggieL
08-28-2005, 08:38 AM
I bought my yarn on Friday. :cheering: :cheering:

Finished another project on Sat. Now I have to decide, scarf or clogs. If only there way a way to do both at the same time.

MaggieL
08-28-2005, 11:13 AM
Gave in and started on the scarf. :D

MaggieL
08-28-2005, 12:29 PM
I don't know how I missed your question. I will be knitting a Gryffindor scarf. :D

Sara
08-28-2005, 12:41 PM
After a YEAR of planning to make this scarf and being unable to get Utopia color 77, I gave in and will use an Encore color that matches as closely as possible. So I just have to wait for that to show up. Stupid Reynolds Company! :mad:

But then I will be happy to have this scarf done.

Ennormir
08-29-2005, 03:55 PM
alright! Way to go! I can't wait to see how everyone's scarves turn out! ^_^

D
08-30-2005, 04:05 AM
Thanks guys! :) I haven't taken another picture yet, but I now have 4 color changes left! I'm onto my 8th Gold bar. For those who need color recommendations, I used a different "red" than recommended at atypically. I used Plymouth Encore.. #1014 - Butternut, and #9601 - Quiet Red. The recommended Burnt Sienna seemed a bit too purpley for my tastes. I was a little worried about the Butternut color, but it works just fine!
I have to keep reminding myself I only have a little bit more to go, because I'm kinda getting bored of working on the same thing. :XX:
Can't wait to see everyone elses (so far)!

foldedbird
08-30-2005, 08:27 PM
Silly question about knitting a scarf in the round...

I've never changed colors in the round. Is it possible to change yarns so that the end piece stays inside of the tube? IF (big IF) that were possible, once you were done, and you sewed up the ends of your tube, couldn't you get away with not weaving in all of those end pieces of yarn from where you changed colors?

That would totally rock...I hate weaving in ends.

Ingrid
08-30-2005, 08:40 PM
The ends can hang inside that tube forever, and no one would every know! Pillows are good that way, too!

foldedbird
08-30-2005, 08:54 PM
AWESOME! You are my salvation, Ingrid.

MaggieL
08-31-2005, 06:37 AM
D

I hear you. I am only about 1/6 of the way finished and it is boring with the same colors and stitch. But, I keep reminding myself: it will be worth it!!! :D

Ennormir
08-31-2005, 10:41 AM
I KNOW. I have to keep pushing myself to finish this scarf because it's my sister's bday present and I'm trying to get it finished before the new movie premier....plus, I'd like to make myself a ravenclaw one before it is in theaters....*sigh* ALL THIS GREEN!!! Yikes...it gets old. LOL. But I haven't quit yet, and I just have to keep reminding myself this is the worst of it. Once it starts to look like a scarf, it'll get better.

And I'm just letting my tie-ones dangle on the inside. Who cares??? No one will see! :)

MaggieL
09-01-2005, 07:34 AM
Now I'm upset. I just realized I will NOT, I repeat: will not, have enough yarn to finish my scarf. :verysad: I even had 880 yards instead of the required 800. I know I can get more, but the lot will never match. :(

Ennormir
09-01-2005, 10:29 AM
Oh no!!! That's terrible! Do you have enough to finish the next stripe? Then if you change after a block instead of in the middle the slight difference might not be so noticable...

Still, that awful!

Ingrid
09-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Now I'm upset. I just realized I will NOT, I repeat: will not, have enough yarn to finish my scarf. :verysad: I even had 880 yards instead of the required 800. I know I can get more, but the lot will never match. :(

Don't be so sure that the lot won't match. I've found that there is only a difference in dye lots for the smaller mills and the less 'manufactured' yarns.
Yarns that are massed produced, like Encore, for example, have different numbers on them, but there wouldn't be a difference in the color that you could notice.

D
09-02-2005, 04:42 AM
here's the latest pic: two more "rows" left. Next picture will be after it's completed and the tassels are on.. that is assuming I can do that:P Oh, and ignore the mess ;)
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/830/scarf9120053mc.jpg

Ingrid
09-02-2005, 07:35 AM
That's a lot of scarf you've got there! Looking good!

MaggieL
09-02-2005, 07:29 PM
Wow, I can't wait to see the finished product D.

Ennormir
09-07-2005, 06:05 PM
wow! your scarf is looking awesome! I'll post a pic of mine soon. :)

D
09-08-2005, 04:19 AM
I just wanted to let you all know I finished mine yesterday, tassels and all! Hooray! Excuse the crappy pic, it was with a webcam, I'll take a proper picture when I get the chance.
http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/6091/scarfcap0zo.jpg
Here's a proper picture:
http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/4190/scarf6ht.jpg

Ennormir
09-12-2005, 11:15 AM
Wow! Your scarf looks awesome!

here's how mine is looking so far:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/ennormir/IMG_0572.jpg

aprildavis99
09-20-2005, 06:38 PM
I am going to try this scarf but not in Hogwarts colors. I happen to have some Red Heart Plush yarn in red white and blue. I am starting a lot later that everyone else but here it goes.

Ennormir
09-20-2005, 11:27 PM
alright! I can't wait to see some pic updates!

MaggieL
09-21-2005, 07:19 PM
I have 10 of the 13 stripes done. :D

aprildavis99
09-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Way to go! :cheering:

I am only done with 1 stripe so far....I think I can, I think I can, I think I can..

Ennormir
09-26-2005, 11:16 AM
trust me, you CAN! I felt like it would take FOREVER, but once you get to the fourth or fifth stripe, you really start to see it coming together and you'll feel alot better. ;) Keep it up!

aprildavis99
09-29-2005, 05:31 PM
Just to update everyone. I have been working on this with DPNs. It is very slow going. This is my first crack at DPNs. I have since ordered a 12" addi trubo circular. So I hope when it comes in I will fly right through this. I am at beg of 3rd stripe now. It doesn't help that I am working on a cardigan at the same time either. :rollseyes:

April

InterNette
10-01-2005, 10:17 AM
would a dpn work better on a scarf then regular needles?

Ingrid
10-01-2005, 10:43 AM
This one is being knit in the round so it will be double thick and all the knits are on the outside. No dreaded purl bumps when changing colors.

Carrie4Bear
10-01-2005, 05:45 PM
I've wanted to do a Hogwarts scarf for a long long time, and now i'm inspired! I'm really new, so first i'm gonna have to learn how to knit with a circular needle AND how to change colors! :shock: haha. I guess i'll be STARTING mine when the movie comes out! Nonetheless, I will do it!

Ingrid
10-01-2005, 06:24 PM
You make circs and changing colors sound scary. They're nuthin' I tell ya!

Ennormir
10-04-2005, 09:18 PM
Yeah! It's really easy, don't worry about it! I finished this scarf today, and it was my first project ever. :)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/ennormir/finished.jpg

Here's the monogram I did in duplicate stitch...
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/ennormir/monogram.jpg

I'll be starting a book color CoS Ravenclaw scarf next! Yay!

KellyK
10-04-2005, 09:25 PM
I think your sis needs to model it for us, Amber!

Ennormir
10-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Workin' on it... ;)

She refuses to have her picture taken without her hair and makeup done... :rollseyes:

aprildavis99
10-05-2005, 01:56 AM
:happydance: B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L :happydance:

aprildavis99
10-06-2005, 12:39 AM
OK. So I got my circs. Should go quicker now. I also just looked up tha Jogless Jog technique that KellyK told me about b/c I don't like that shifted look when I changed colors. Here we gooooooo... :XX:

misstialouise
10-07-2005, 07:37 PM
I'm in!!

I know it's late in the piece and I would only have about a month to finish it before the movie comes out... but I'm gonna give it a shot anyway :D

I'm going to make the Gryffindor PoA scarf.

I've had to improvise with the colours, and will be using an Australian wool "Heritage" in a deep red and butter yellow. I hope it will still look okay.

The yarn is currently on hold at my LYS, and I pick it up on Thursday. I have about 1200 yards of red and 406 yards of yellow, so I'm hoping I won't run out.

I don't mind monotonous knitting, I can tune out. And because I use continental method, it seems to zoom by anyway :D

aprildavis99
10-08-2005, 03:58 AM
I know what you mean. I love zoning out sometimes. I also knit continental and stockinette st in the round just flies by--april

Carrie4Bear
10-08-2005, 10:59 AM
I went out last night and got all my supplies to start my scarf! I'm so excited to get started!! :XX:

I'm going to be doing a Gryffindor scarf, i got deeper colors that the "origional" one, but that's okay, i like it.

I've been reading all the tips and instructions to knitting with circs, which i've never done before, but really excited to try....so here i go!!

gabz56
10-09-2005, 05:39 PM
Hi everyone!!! I just started, or tried to, knit a PoA gryffindor scarf. I'm a knitting rookie, so i really could use all the help i can get. ^_^ I wanted to start the scarf off using the provisional cast on it was talking about, so i've got two new things i've never done b4: knitting in the round AND working with the provisional cast on. Last night, i've tried like 135468324 times to get to row 5, but it's not working for me it's either the whole thing is twisted every which way, or the provisional yarn is not long enough, etc. I've been looking through this knit along, and it seems like all of you are using just a simple cast on... so... is there no hope to use the provisional cast on?
I was so excited to get started.... what a bummer. :crying:

Ingrid
10-09-2005, 05:43 PM
You can use provisional cast on. Have you tried using the crochet chain provisional cast on? I think it's much easier. It will still curl up in the beginning, but when you bind it off it will lie flat.

gabz56
10-09-2005, 06:18 PM
OMG, Ingrid, you're a lifesaver!!!! I was ready to give up and just postpone my deadline to Christmas, but yay!!! You saved the day!!!! WOO HOO!!!

that cast on was A LOT easier!!! Thank you soooo much!!!! Okay, I've officially and SUCCESSFULLY started!!! Here I go!!! Wish me luck!!!
:D :D :D

Ingrid
10-09-2005, 06:22 PM
:thumbsup:

aprildavis99
10-10-2005, 09:10 AM
What is a provisional cast on used for? :??

Ingrid
10-10-2005, 09:27 AM
A provisional cast on leaves live stitches that can be worked later. In the case of a scarf knit in the round, it allows you to use a three-needle bind off at each end to close the 'tube' of the scarf and have both ends match.

Different patterns have different uses for provisional cast on, but the end result is having live stitches to work from--sometimes to add an edging, sometimes to connect two ends of a scarf--that kind of thing.

aprildavis99
10-11-2005, 01:08 PM
good to know. thanks. :XX:

gabz56
10-11-2005, 08:38 PM
hi everyone!!
my scarf's going great... i anticipated that it's gonna be tedious but i'm still excited... it's looking really good!!!

i'm just wondering, the pattern for the PoA scarf said that i'll need 800 yrds of MC and 200 of CC... does anyone know if that's gonna be enough or should i get more? :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

aprildavis99
10-12-2005, 11:52 AM
I'm not sure about that. I hope so..I would love another reason to go to my LYS. :doh:

Carrie4Bear
10-12-2005, 05:19 PM
Okay, so i'm almost done with my first stripe! yay! Now I have to change colors... instructions say...

"After the 22 rows, tie the lighter color yarn around the dark yarn on the wrong (bumpy, inside) side of the tube, leaving a 2-inch tail of light yarn; trim the dark yarn to have the same length tail."

So i literally tie a knot on the inside? Sounds too easy to switch colors like that...but i'll do it! :??

I'm so excited, if i keep knitting at this rate, i might be done by the premier! :XX:

Ingrid
10-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Who on earth is going to see a knot on the inside of the tube? I would, however, suggest that you tie the knot after you've knit a few stitches with the new color. Otherwise the knot has the uncanny ability to find it's way to the front.

Carrie4Bear
10-12-2005, 08:12 PM
Well, I went ahead and did it, it looks fine, and hasn't popped up front yet, and it looks soooo good! I did the "jogless jog" when I switched colors and it looks fabulous!

You were right from the beginning, Ingrid, it's easy peasy to knit in the round AND to change colors AND it IS purl with all KNIT stitches! I shall never doubt you, o wise one! :notworthy:

I'm having so much fun with my scarf, I can't wait to finish it, shouldn't take very long! :thumbsup:

Ingrid
10-12-2005, 08:51 PM
Sounds perfect--that is, it's fun and you're enjoying making it!

aprildavis99
10-13-2005, 02:05 AM
I frogged my when I got to the end of the 3rd stripe. for some reason I don't like how wide it came out. way more than 7"...more like 8.5 :??

So I started over and now have it at about 6.5". Much better. So I am not at the beg of my 3rd stripe. I really can't wait. I am not looking foward to the fringe. I am trying to find a dropped loop stitch or something I can use instead of fringe. My particular yarn just looks awful when it starts to fray. :thinking:

:XX: April

misstialouise
10-13-2005, 03:48 AM
I have a dilemma...

I have the PERFECT maroon in an 80/20 Acrylic/Nylon....

Or something that's a little 'brighter' in a wool....

what would you do?

(btw, the 'perfect' mustard/gold colour is wool)

InterNette
10-13-2005, 09:25 AM
Is it for a little one? if so use acrylic so it is washable when it has been hanging for blocks on the ground following them home.

Sara
10-13-2005, 10:47 AM
:thinking: This is just my two cents, but I would use complimentary fibers. I would worry that the wool would shrink after washing and the acrylic wouldn't, so your scarf would look wonky. That said, if you're using superwash wool or you are VERY careful with how you wash it, it might not shrink and you'd be fine.

For me, I'd go the safe route and use both wools. I am a descendent of the Murphys and that darn law seems more like a family curse. :rollseyes: :lol:

Julie
10-13-2005, 07:13 PM
Hey...have you guys seen this (http://knittingwithlaura.blog-city.com/harry_potter_bookscarf_pattern.htm)?? I saw it and thought of y'all. :D

misstialouise
10-14-2005, 01:23 AM
Naw.. it's for me...

I'm doing the PoA scarf so it's not HUGE blocks of wool that I'd be using..

But I've been agonising on it for a couple of days, and I'm going to go find me some wool... <sigh>

aprildavis99
10-14-2005, 04:22 AM
Hey...have you guys seen this (http://knittingwithlaura.blog-city.com/harry_potter_bookscarf_pattern.htm)?? I saw it and thought of y'all. :D

Too cute. I must add that to my ever growing list of To-Do's

gabz56
10-14-2005, 09:20 PM
OMG!!! Why did I not see that pattern b4 the sixth book come out?!?!?! Oh, hehe, i'm talking about the bookmark/scarf pattern posted by Julie.

But ya, I am so knitting that for my english teacher. She teaches british literature and she LOVES Harry Potter. Wow, that was a REALLY CUTE pattern!!!!

Carrie4Bear
10-15-2005, 11:50 AM
I frogged my when I got to the end of the 3rd stripe.

Sorry, new kid here, what's "frogged"? :thinking:

Oh, BTW, I'm two rows from stripe #4! Coming along nicely! :thumbsup:

Ingrid
10-15-2005, 11:53 AM
I love answering this one! What does a frog say? Rip-it, rip-it, rip-it!

Carrie4Bear
10-15-2005, 01:07 PM
OHMIGOSH! That is HI-larious! I thought it was some technical term that I didn't know! LOL! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I guess we knitters can be funny too!

Thanks Ingrid!

misstialouise
10-16-2005, 10:20 PM
Right...

After my week off work (and away from my LYS), I have bought the first ball of dark maroon/plum for my Gryffindor scarf :D

LYS lady told me that I might be better off "thinking for a week" about my decision (ie: they're going on sale next week WOO!)... LOL So I have the others put away for me :D

So... I have my needles with me.. so Looks like I'll be casting on 90 stitches on my way home ROFL..

:D

Carrie4Bear
10-19-2005, 01:02 PM
Well, my hogwarts scarf is coming along nicely! I'm on stripe #5, and rushing to get it done before the movie comes out. I've been told that the movie will be out on Nov. 18th. Does anyone know if that's correct?

misstialouise
10-19-2005, 06:08 PM
Release date here is first of December..

:crying:

MaggieL
10-19-2005, 08:15 PM
I only have to add fringe to one end. :mrgreen:

Carrie4Bear
10-19-2005, 08:28 PM
Wow maggie!! Knit R Done! :roflhard:

I'm jealous!

I'll try to get a more accurate release date for the Kansas City Area, maybe it's Dec. 1 too! :thinking:

gabz56
10-19-2005, 09:21 PM
About the release date, the US's release date is Nov. 18. Mugglenet.com has a really comprehensive guide to which country releases it when. Hehe, they even have a countdown on their homepage! So for all y'all US knitters, we have 29 days!!!

aprildavis99
10-20-2005, 04:07 AM
Can't wait for the release. I am on the 4th stripe. I had stopped knitting for a while to catch up on some crochet afghans I had promised to make. I can't wait to get back to knitting. I am very excited for the movie. The trailers are awesome!

Clabbergirl
10-20-2005, 09:08 AM
I just started this scarf on Monday, and am only on the 3rd stripe (Gryffindor). Depending on class loads, I might make the opening, but I have two other scarves (Slytherin & Ravenclaw) to make for family. As soon as they heard what I was doing, they wanted one of their own. I admit it's going pretty fast once I get the chance to sit down and knit, but getting the time to do that is the trick, dontchaknow.

I am so glad I found this forum, and that pattern!

Carrie4Bear
10-20-2005, 01:46 PM
About the release date, the US's release date is Nov. 18. Mugglenet.com has a really comprehensive guide to which country releases it when. Hehe, they even have a countdown on their homepage! So for all y'all US knitters, we have 29 days!!!

OHMIGOSH!! Only 29 days to finish my scarf??? :shock: Well, I'm on stripe #6, and I get to knit at work, but right now i'm trying to finish my brother's mittens....but I think I can, I think I can, I think I can! :XX: :XX: :XX: :XX:

Carrie4Bear
10-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Well...now my brother wants to be Harry Potter for Halloween, so now I have to finish this scarf by then! Oh my. I really think it's possible, so we'll see, I'm on stripe #7 already.

Guess I'd better get to it... :XX: :XX: :XX:

Clabbergirl
10-22-2005, 06:02 PM
I put on my 2nd stripe of gold for the Gryffindor scarf last night. It feels like it's going fast, but then I look at how far I have to go!

gabz56
10-23-2005, 09:26 AM
but I have two other scarves (Slytherin & Ravenclaw) to make for family. As soon as they heard what I was doing, they wanted one of their own.

Yea, my older sis wants me to make one for her too!! Only, she says that it doesn't have to be knit in the round. I'm thinking of ribbing it (K1P1). That'll work right?

I'm on my 9th stripe on the PoA scarf with only 25 days to go!! Oy... we can do this, you guys!!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Clabbergirl
10-23-2005, 12:45 PM
:shock: I woke up this morning to find all my yarn, including the Hogwarts yarns, strown through the living room, down the hall, to my bedroom door. It seems one of my cats had a late night. What a mess. Luckily, none of the scarf was unravelled, but I've spent quite a bit of time this morning rolling, re-rolling, and untangling knots.

Sigh.

That's what I get for leaving it in an open basket I guess.

aprildavis99
10-23-2005, 02:02 PM
:shock: I am so sorry. I have a sweater that my dog got a hold of. I haven't been able to bring myself to roll up the mess and frog to a point that I can start up again. :( I was almost done. I feel for you.

Bad Kitty!

But at least you won't have to start your scarf over. The knitting gods were with you on this one! :cheering:

Sabrina
10-27-2005, 12:33 PM
I can't believe I didn't see this thread! I've been itching for a Harry Potter scarf and I'm almost finished my first knitting project ever. You guys are fabulous! :heart: Thanks for keeping the needles in motion. :D If I start this one, I may be in time for the next movie.... :shock:

Clabbergirl
10-27-2005, 12:44 PM
I had the same reaction - "where have you been all my knitting life?!"

Get to knitting and we'll see you at the opening. :D

Jivewhistle
10-27-2005, 02:57 PM
These scarves are just beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

I'm going to have to start on one soon but I have no idea which one I'd make. I love the silver and blue colors...but I wouldn't want my scarf as wide as they're supposed to be.

I just watched the provisional cast on and three needle bind off videos...looks a little tricky but I think I could do it.

katiyana
10-28-2005, 03:41 PM
I haven't tried the scarf, I have the pattern but no time.

I got my Cabbage Patch Kid ready for the movie though (pardon the messy desk)...

http://www.katiyana.com/doll_clothes/cabbage%20patch/hogwarts.JPG

gabz56
11-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Hi everyone!! i only have 2 more stripes to go for my PoA scarf!!! I'm soooo excited!!!

But i found the initial 800 yds. of MC to be just a little bit short of what i actually needed, and i think i'm gonna run out of the CC too. So yea, just wanted to put that out there....

I hope the colors don't change that dramatically when i go and get more skeins....

Also, fur us US knitters, we have 16 days 'til opening night!!!

Emeraldcutie
11-06-2005, 01:11 AM
I finally got a chance to make the scarf, I couldn't find a gold in my area, so went with a pale yellow, called banana, it looks good paired with the bordeaux burgandy.
I have a budget so I went with Bernat Satin on a 5mm circular needle and it looks great, I love the softness of the yarn.
Iam on stripe number 5, I get to knit at work so I should have it done before the movies.
We are taking my ten year old daughter as a birthday present on opening day, think I might hit the matinee though cause its going to be crazy at night.

I will post a pick as soon as I can.

Emeraldcutie
11-06-2005, 01:14 AM
but I have two other scarves (Slytherin & Ravenclaw) to make for family. As soon as they heard what I was doing, they wanted one of their own.

Yea, my older sis wants me to make one for her too!! Only, she says that it doesn't have to be knit in the round. I'm thinking of ribbing it (K1P1). That'll work right?

I'm on my 9th stripe on the PoA scarf with only 25 days to go!! Oy... we can do this, you guys!!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My daughter is knitting the scarf with a 2x2 rib and alternating gold and red, She chose a yarn with the strand of metallic in it to make it a little more glittery (leave it to a 10 year old). It looks fantastic so far, I will post a pic of her modeling it when she gets finished. ( I think she used a 6mm needle and 25 sts wide).

Emeraldcutie
11-07-2005, 12:46 AM
Here is a picture of what my daughter has started.
And also a pic of what I have done so far.

Norman
11-07-2005, 01:28 PM
Ohhh CRAP. how did I miss this?!

Man I'll never get this done for the movie :doh:

:thinking: I think I'll need to fo find some yarn.. Let me tell ya all those yarns they talk about on the blog, we don't have those around here.. I'll have to find osmething close :)

Anyway.. I'll try to join up soon.. Soon as I Get out to get some yarn..

Clabbergirl
11-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Thanks for posting these pictures - it so helps. Especially the one that's not in the round. I am almost finished with the Gryffindor scarf, but my husband wants the Slytherin before the opening, and I just do not see how I can get it done if I knit it in the round.

The k1p1 is working out okay as far as no curling or anything, right?

CateKnits
11-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Is anyone else doing a shorter version? I'm knitting a Ravenclaw PoA scarf and if I do the suggested 14 pattern repeats, this thing is going to be MASSIVE. I'm on the end of my 8th repeat and I'm thinking it should be done around 12. Besides, for some reason, I think I only have enough yarn to do 12 repeats.
I might just wait and get more yarn and do the 14. :oops: I have too many other things to do in the next two weeks to get this finished. Besides, my friend just got us tickets for the midnight showing opening night. :D

MaggieL
11-07-2005, 09:37 PM
I'm finished!!!! I finally put the fringe on my scarf. I just need to trim and I'll take a picture.

Emeraldcutie
11-08-2005, 12:26 AM
Thanks for posting these pictures - it so helps. Especially the one that's not in the round. I am almost finished with the Gryffindor scarf, but my husband wants the Slytherin before the opening, and I just do not see how I can get it done if I knit it in the round.

The k1p1 is working out okay as far as no curling or anything, right?

It's not curling at all. It looks a little lumpy but its my ten year old first attempt at purling and ribbing. Shes on her 5th stripe now and it looks great, I almost like it better then mine.

My scarf is turning out massive to. Iam on the 5th burgandy stripe and its almost 5 ft, I don't think I can go 10 burgandy stripes, its going to weight a ton and have to wrap around my neck 10 times..lol

Midnight Tickets.. :)
Oh I wish, We are going to the 3:30 in the afternoon one, that way we can do dinner afterwards to celebrate my daughters birthday. She's so excited that it opens on her birthday, she thinks its a sign... ALthough I think she just goes to stare at Daniel Radcliff, typical 10 year old girl.

CateKnits
11-08-2005, 01:15 AM
Ohhh, it opens a couple of days after my birthday. Tell her I'm jealous? Hehehehe.

Clabbergirl
11-08-2005, 10:31 AM
It's not curling at all. It looks a little lumpy but its my ten year old first attempt at purling and ribbing. Shes on her 5th stripe now and it looks great, I almost like it better then mine.

My scarf is turning out massive to. Iam on the 5th burgandy stripe and its almost 5 ft, I don't think I can go 10 burgandy stripes, its going to weight a ton and have to wrap around my neck 10 times..lol

Midnight Tickets.. :)
Oh I wish, We are going to the 3:30 in the afternoon one, that way we can do dinner afterwards to celebrate my daughters birthday. She's so excited that it opens on her birthday, she thinks its a sign... ALthough I think she just goes to stare at Daniel Radcliff, typical 10 year old girl.

Thanks for the info on not-in-the-round. After doing the one scarf, I'm ready for something different, but my family is begging me for more. Sigh.

(And I couldn't resist: My husband's employers gave him 4 tickets to the advance premier the day before the movie opens here!! I'm excited!)

CateKnits
11-08-2005, 06:10 PM
This is starting on my ninth repeat. The "bronze" color really isn't that orange...I think my flash just likes to be harsh.

Norman
11-08-2005, 06:43 PM
Ohhhh that's looking Wonderful.. :) I really need to get started on mine.. but family duties stop me.. uggggh.. :) And I need tof ind some Dark Brick Red

Clabbergirl
11-08-2005, 08:41 PM
Whew!

Relieved, and proud!

Clabbergirl
11-08-2005, 08:41 PM
Whew!

Relieved, and proud!

gabz56
11-08-2005, 09:46 PM
OMG!!! The pictures look amazing, you guys!!! good job!! It makes me wanna just sit down and knit, but i have TONS of homework to do...

I'm almost done with mine. All i have to do is duplicate stitch my initials, bind off one end, go back to the beginning and bind off the other end (after adding a few rows), then add the fringe!!! i'm sooo excited!!! i can't wait to post pix up so everyone can see!!!

I wasn't sure if it'll be done on time, but i'm actually done a week early!! How cool!!!
:D :D :D

Norman
11-08-2005, 10:36 PM
That is UBER sweet.. now I know what it will look like..

did you do all the "repeats" or did you stop short?

That's totally awaesome.. makes me want to drop what I'm doing.. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Clabbergirl
11-08-2005, 11:08 PM
I did 10 maroon stripes and 9 yellow ones. That's what my pattern said (I believe; it's too far away and I'm too lazy right now). But it's plenty long for me, and is extra, extra long for a child.

Sorry about the double post too - not sure how that happened.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-08-2005, 11:14 PM
they look great!!!!

aprildavis99
11-09-2005, 09:34 PM
GREST PICS!! I am still at the 3rd stripe. I have been so busy I haven't had time. But I will finish it by the end of this month. It is starting to get very cold and DD needs it.

CateKnits
11-10-2005, 01:31 AM
I did ten of the thick rows and that's IT. I had to bind off after that. It feels massive around my neck!
I hate fringe, so I'm not really eager to add it. :rollseyes:
Now I'm trying to decide if I want to stitch "CATE" or "CBL" into the bottom, and then I suppose I'll think about the fringe. I almost like the way the bottom curls.

amy
11-10-2005, 11:37 PM
Nice scarves everyone! :inlove:

OMG, I just watched the trailor for the first time. YAY! This one looks like it's really well directed!!! I can't wait!!! :happydance:

Hey Cate, another Scorpio! Happy almost b-day. Mine's on the 13th. ;)

CateKnits
11-10-2005, 11:43 PM
Happy almost birthday to you, too, Amy! :balloons:

D
11-12-2005, 03:25 AM
I finished my 2nd Gryff HP scarf (for a friend) a weekish ago, it's a little short, but I was low on yarn, and she wanted it in time. No pictures, yet, but I told her to take pics for me, though! :)

Add another Scorpio to the list, Amy, I share mine with KH's birthday:) Happy early Birthday Cate and Amy!

And to everyone: enjoy the movie! :D 5 more days!

InterNette
11-12-2005, 07:19 AM
Nice work. Those scarfs are great. What is really cool is you know exactly what they are.

Norman
11-14-2005, 03:23 PM
OKay .. here's my question.. in the "pattern" it says to block it ..

How in the heck do you block this thing :shock: it's huge..

I'm sure it would go through two rooms at my h ouse end to end :) and course I've never blocked.. so I will probably have more questions about that later..

But I'm getting ready to start it.. just bought a needlemaster set to replace my lost denise's :blush:

D
11-14-2005, 04:04 PM
Norman:
I laid it out on the floor on top of two smallish towels :)

Clabbergirl
11-18-2005, 11:09 AM
I finished the Ravenclaw scarf just a few hours before we had to be a the theater for the sneak preview...I'm sorry I don't have a photo. It turned out well, and my son is happy.

When we left the theater, many, many people were lined up to see the midnight showing of Goblet of Fire, and I saw quite a few Gryffindor scarves in line. One girl was wearing a knitted sweater in the thick maroon/thin gold colors like some Hogwarts socks I saw somewhere online - it was gorgeous.

This movie is full of that same pattern, which is making me want to knit one of those as well. There are too many things to knit!!!

D
11-18-2005, 12:05 PM
As promised, here are pics of the scarf I made, for my friend. Here (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/25292097/) she is wearing it!

Norman
11-18-2005, 12:10 PM
Neato.. :)

I might just be me.. but.. the pic seems really dark..
But cool.. I need to get my needles yet to get started.. I got all the yarn already

D
11-18-2005, 01:51 PM
It is a bit.. I adjusted it some in PS, is this better?
She wanted colors more like PoA/GoF, but (obviously) in PS/SS/CoS style.

Norman
11-18-2005, 02:22 PM
Oh yeah.. much better.. then again I think my monitor is dark by nature.. *sighs* darned equipment..

Those are abot the colors I got for mine.. :) But I plan on using the PoA pattern.. cause I like the look a bit better.. guess I should leanr the loop cast on :)

In the pattern, if I knit with circs do I need to still do the loop caston and 3 needle bindoff? or do I do it differently

Norman
11-22-2005, 10:33 AM
Finally got started on mine.. got a few rows done till I got "Life-Interuptus"

And I had to put it down.. hopefully I can do some more tomorrow, definatly on wednesday and some on friday.. then it's back to the theater hard time again :)

tab
11-22-2005, 11:27 AM
I'm halfway done my eleventh stripe of the original Gryffindor scarf for my little brother, and I've just bought some yarn for the PoA Slytherin scarf I'm making for my other little brother. The store didn't have any of the silver though, so I'm going to have to look elsewhere for that.
I can't wait until Christmas when I can start making a Ravenclaw scarf for myself! There's no chance of me getting it done before that. Too much to knit for everyone else! :XX:

aprildavis99
11-22-2005, 09:09 PM
I still haven't gotten past my 3rd stripe. I am too busy with other stuff. I am going to pick it up next week though...crossing my finger.

Toni
11-23-2005, 01:09 PM
I can't believe that I just found this knit-along! I made a PoA Gryffindor scarf for my husband and a Slytherin scarf for myself (which I finished on Wednesday last week, just in time to block it, left it dry and put on the fringe before GoF came out!) I've gotten quite a few compliments on mine (hubby hasn't worn his yet), all from people that have no idea it's a Harry Potter scarf! :D

gabz56
11-25-2005, 02:00 AM
happy turkey day everyone!!!

my cousin asked me if i can knit him a gryffindor PoA scarf... he wants it by christmas, but that prolly won't happen bcoz i'm a really really busy student... but i'll try my best. When i told him i'm knitting his initials on it, his face lit up like a little kid!!! (he's a freshman @ UC Berkeley, btw)

volmel
11-28-2005, 08:23 PM
I wanted to knit this scarf for my little niece, but she is only 7. I didn't see any instructions on the pattern for kid's sizes. What is everyone doing when they make it for children? It seems the regular size would swallow them.

Melissa

NesanelRose
12-02-2005, 07:55 PM
I'll be knitting myself both a SS/CoS and a PoA/GoF Ravenclaw scarf as soon as I'm done Christmas gifts and the like(I'm hopefully going to be getting a Timeturner for Christmas :D), and I think my Boyfriend wants a SS/CoS Gryffindor scarf eventually.
We're both huge costumers, and I'm a freak for replicas(I have so many jewelry and prop replicas it's not even funny...from movies{Arendil-Aragorn's ranger sword from LOTR and Darth Vader's lightsaber}, to video games{Lots of jewelry replicas from various Final Fantasies}, to comics{Gambit's trenchcoat...mmm...Remy LeBeau}), so naturally, I gotta have my own Hogwarts robes eventually. I think the hardest part is going to get the Ravenclaw House Crest...and tie...it's all Gryffindor and Slytherin...The other houses don't get any recognition. XD
but, yes...maybe I'll have one done by the time the 7th book comes out.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-02-2005, 08:08 PM
SS/CoS

okay, i'm being lazy... WTF????

CateKnits
12-02-2005, 08:41 PM
SS is Sorcerer's Stone and CoS is Chamber of Secrets.

InterNette
12-04-2005, 09:50 PM
i was asked for acrylic so it wouldnt scratch, but I still wish I had done this in wool. Not bad for someone with walking pneumonia.

Ingrid
12-04-2005, 10:10 PM
:cheering: :cheering: Looks wonderful. Now wrap it around yourself and get well!

wrchili
12-06-2005, 02:11 PM
You guys have all inspired me. I want one too. I know it's a little late to be starting it since the movie has been out for awhile, but it's so cold here and that scarf looks so nice and warm. I'm going to order the yarn now and start it as soon as I get my christmas presents done. Of course it may be spring before it's finished :D

rorygilmore
12-10-2005, 01:39 PM
Hi. I'm new here. I've only been knitting now for about a month. I really want to knit one of these scraves for myself, but I haven't knitted in the round before, I'm a little afraid of it. What size needles will i need for this scraf? How much yarn do i need for it? Thanks!! Alex

Sara
12-10-2005, 02:26 PM
www.atypicallyknit.com is where you'll find the pattern. All the instructions/needle size/yarn recommendations are there. Working these scarf in the round means that you only have to do the knit stitch. There is a video for circular knitting and a video for switching colors on this site. This is not a difficult project. If you are really new just be bold, follow the directions carefully, watch the videos and you can ask questions about what you don't understand. Good luck!

volmel
12-12-2005, 12:59 PM
I knitted this for my 7 year old niece for Christmas. I used 50 stitches instead of 70 and 15 rows instead of 22. It was a perfect fit for her. I did her initials at the bottom. She loved it.

vcuchica931
12-12-2005, 11:24 PM
That looks really good!!! And the initials are GREAT!!!!

What a lucky niece!

Ingrid
12-12-2005, 11:29 PM
Great job!!

volmel
12-12-2005, 11:43 PM
awww, thanks! :D

ChelseyBlair
12-20-2005, 01:55 PM
I'm knitting my second HP Slytherin scarf for a friend :D

Mine is Gryffindor finished in about three weeks. I hope to have this one done by mid January or so.

volmel
12-20-2005, 09:59 PM
I do have to say that watching Amy's video's and learning to knit in the continental style was well worth it for this project. The scarf really flew by.

Melissa