PDA

View Full Version : Christmas

GlenBoRTR
08-31-2005, 03:43 PM
O.K... Please don't hurt me.... :devil:
Has anyone started working on Christmas projects??? If so, what are they??? I found a really kewl "winter" wreath in the latest Creative Knitting magazine that I think I might start.

MaryS
08-31-2005, 04:17 PM
Glen,

No one will hurt you. Most of us are working on, or have ordered yarn for, Christmas presents already. :thumbsup:

KK is making ELEVENTYPLEX KAJILLION pair of clogs for Xmas and has bought out knitpicks! :shock:

I'm about half done with DD's sweater, 25% done with niece's pair of socks, and have yarn for other DD's and other niece's sweater, and patterns picked out for DS - sweater and hat.

I really want to make the clogs for someone, but don't have anyone to make them for (except me). :??

Happy Christmas Knitting :XY:

Mary

Ingrid
08-31-2005, 04:29 PM
I have gifts made or in the making/planning stage, because last year I started too late and ended up spending lots of money for gifts at the last minute on top of the stress of not finishing what I planned.

As for Christmasy stuff, I might do something small for Secret Santa type stuff at work later on.

jodstr2
08-31-2005, 04:33 PM
I have the yarn for 2 blankets. not sure if I'll ever get around to them.

I want to make clogs for most of my list - but how do you get them to fit people?

dustinac
08-31-2005, 04:52 PM
I have scarfs made or being made.. along with a shawl although one of the scarfs is now going to be a birthday present cause I thought I had more time for the birthday till last night.. so have to redo that one... :rollseyes:

hedgehog
08-31-2005, 05:06 PM
I have birthdays in October that i'm focusing on first, then i'll work on Xmas...

I'm going to do a few clogs (of course!) and i'm thinking about doing a sweater for my sister... Perhaps Knitty's "Tempting" - not sure about that one... But as soon as i knock down these b-day pressies (DNA scarf and a pair of clogs) i'll be knitting like crazy for the holidays...

-hh

GlenBoRTR
08-31-2005, 06:11 PM
Looks like Clogs are THE thing to make.... Are they basically like making a "felted sock" (without the heel of course??))

What's a good pattern to try??? ((Mom is always looking for comfy foot wear))

Ingrid
08-31-2005, 06:14 PM
This is the famous clog thread

http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2571

KellyK
08-31-2005, 07:02 PM
KK is making ELEVENTYPLEX KAJILLION pair of clogs for Xmas and has bought out knitpicks! :shock:
Well, 15, anyway.... :shifty:

I really want to make the clogs for someone, but don't have anyone to make them for (except me). :??

Mary! How SAD that none of your family or friends has FEET! Were they involved in some kind of mass foot-slicing incident?? :(

I want to make clogs for most of my list - but how do you get them to fit people?
Im giving all of mine UNfelted, then they can come over (or Ill do it there) & Ill felt to fit!! I cant wait to see the hilarity ensue when people open these KNITTED TRUCKS of unfelted slippers!! :roflhard:

Ingrid
08-31-2005, 07:05 PM
Somebody has to capture that on video! "Poor Kelly, she SAYS she can knit. . . . "

VickiIL
08-31-2005, 07:17 PM
Im giving all of mine UNfelted, then they can come over (or Ill do it there) & Ill felt to fit!! I cant wait to see the hilarity ensue when people open these KNITTED TRUCKS of unfelted slippers!! :roflhard:

This is how I figured i would do it. I would be too afraid to felt them too much if I tried to guess. Plus it will be real fun to see the looks on their faces when they unpack King Kong sized clogs.

VickiIL
08-31-2005, 07:19 PM
I am just started my christmas knitting. I am doing a poncho (yeah, I know but she asked for it!) for my SIL. And a wrap for my grandmother. I am planning on doing hats, mittens and scarves for the kids. Finially FT clogs for my brother, Dad and FIL. I am in the middle of deciding on gifts for everyone else. I figured this list will keep me busy for a while.

Born on 4 of 7
09-01-2005, 08:31 AM
I have been knitting my christmas presents since early July. I have whipped out 7 hats, 11 dish cloths and towel topper sets. I am currently working on a hooded sweater for my brother I have the front done, now I have to cast on for the back.

gimmesanity
09-01-2005, 08:49 AM
I'm making scarves for my girlfriends...I figure they're quicker (especially since I'm such a S-L-O-W knitter), and I can change up the patterns so I don't get bored.

For my friends' babes, I'll be making funky hats. I have a few patterns that I'm looking foward to trying.

I've almost finished with the first of 5 scarves.

~Sharon

MaryS
09-01-2005, 09:51 AM
KK,

They've all GOT feet! They just don't want clogs to put on all those cold tootsies :crying: :?? :shock:

I thought my girls would :heart: these - I showed them pics of yours and Silvers - but they both said they'd rather have sweaters :rollseyes: (and I didn't even show them Ingrid's and Silver's sweaters).

They just want to turn Mom into their personal knitting machine!
Clogs would be SO much faster - and I wanted to FELT something! :happydance:

Mary

brendajos
09-01-2005, 09:55 AM
make them purses!!

Joel
09-01-2005, 10:15 AM
Well... my wife is making stuff for a combination of craft show and Christmas. (She does crochet.)

As for me, I'm having enough trouble getting through this necklace thing for my kids, which was supposed to be done a week or two ago. But yes, I've started thinking about Christmas too.... just hoping I'll have enough time (and be good enough) to actually finish a project or two by then.

jodstr2
09-01-2005, 11:07 AM

good idea. thanks KK! :D

LisaD715
09-01-2005, 10:53 PM
So far, I am working on purses and dishcloths for Christmas. I need to order yarn for my sister's throw. It will be here before we know.....

MaryS
09-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Brendajo wrote: Make them purses

Great idea Brenda - I found a free pattern for the Buttonhole Bag that I really like and think they will too. And it's FELTED. :happydance: :happydance:

It will be LOTS faster than sweaters, - won't work for DS though. I guess he gets the sweater. :thinking:

Thanks,

Happy Christmas Knitting all you Santas out there. :XX: :XX:
(need a knitting emoticon in a Santa hat and beard)

Mary

punkhippiemom
09-03-2005, 12:03 AM
OK, here goes my hella list - of which I hope to complete at least half...
-sweaters for my 2 boys;Scooby Doo for DS Jr, and something 'cool' for DS Sr (prolly just stripes)
- sweater for DH (he asked for a blanket, but he can kiss my ***, he's getting a damn sweater :twisted:
- scarves for DH's uncle & cousins - 4 total. I've started one, gray entrelac for his uncle. Skinny scarf for his cuz (girl) and fluffy and comfy (yet manly) for his cuz(guy).
- DH's aunts (all 5 of em) are getting kitchen stuff - dishtowels & scrubbies
- my neices (at least 3 of em) are getting tank tops. They're in FL, it's hot, so they'll be able to wear em
- my nephew to be will prolly get a blanket, and/or booties
- MIL and DMom are getting scrubby washcloths & assorted whatever in a bath gift basket...also, DH's 2 grandmothers...and prolly my sis....
- BIL's (2) and DDad are getting socks. Maybe.
- and for assorted cousins n whatever, I'm thinking about making a bunch of hats. I know I can whip out one of those a day, faster if I use a bulky yarn.

My Visa is screaming in pain already....

LisaD715
09-03-2005, 12:06 AM
I forgot the most important ones.......I want to do Marnie's hat for Stephen and Douglas

Joel
09-04-2005, 11:17 PM
small update since the last post... figured heck with it....

I'm doing a scarf for my father and will probably start an afghan after that for someone... not yet sure who though.

rebecca
09-05-2005, 10:36 AM
It sounds like ya'll are doing a lot of absolutely beautiful and fun things that are all going to be so greatly appreciated by the recipients when :present: boxes are opened :D
Okay, here's my decision that was made by both me and Lonnie as we were traveling to Charleston for his bday on Aug 3...I am NOT knitting for Christmas this year :happydance: :happydance: I love, love knitting for others, but I have a scarf and a hat...last year I knitted oodles & oodles of things that everyone loved (I was so thrilled!), as a matter of fact, everyone except my kids got knitted things, some, like my sister, got several things...I did a LOT of knitting for Christmas last year and since then, too, my knitting has been gifted...with JOY :D ! BUT, I was talking about what I needed to knit and I think Lonnie noticed a level of stress in my voice and said, 'Remember when you were knitting bc you just loved to knit? What happened to that?' Leave it to :inlove: Lonnie! So, I decided that I am going to knit for us for a while and that's it, just the 2 of us and I have a long list of things to do..or not ;) .
I will begin all of this knitting after I have protected every page of these 100s of pages of patterns & tutorials I've printed with this new laser printer!! I love it...and I went printing crazy :roflhard: :roflhard: !! Then organize the yarn and I'M OFF....sock sabbatical and knitting for 2, for us, for Christmas :D .
FYI, newbies...I love to talk and almost never have a short answer...ask anybody ;)

meknitter
09-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Haven't posted in awhile - (sent my daughter off to her first year of college :( ).. so here goes...

I've completed two baby bonnets (working on matching sweater), finished three felted bags (one Booga in Noro Kureyon, Fulled Lopi Tote and Fiber Trends out of Lamb's pride) still have three more to make. I had digital pics of before and after felting, but DH deleted them.... so I will re-take pics of the finished products - when he brings the camera home from work!

Found this delicious merino wool (Malabrigo from Uruguay) in orange/red blended hues at lys. Half done and will use black lacquer handles (making up the pattern as I go). I think this one will end up in my collection.

Almost finished with a sweater - have front still to do, but ran out of yarn so the front will be patterned - most likely stripes! Sweater is dark grey, stripes will be medium sky blue.

punkhippiemom
09-05-2005, 12:32 PM
Wow, you've been busy!! :XX: :XX: :XX: Can't wait to see some pictures!
Hope your DD isn't too far away to come and visit (and bring laundry lol!) My DS is only 5 and is already talking about when he goes to college :roflhard: He says he's going to live with us forever.... :heart: :rollseyes:

rebecca
09-05-2005, 12:47 PM
I feel for you 'meknitter'....I so remember the sending your daughter off to college emptiness :verysad: BUT, I do promise that it gets better!!
WTG on the knitting ;)

meknitter
09-05-2005, 09:01 PM
I still have a son at home (jr. in HS) but she is the only girl (two older boys). I finally was able to go into her room today - cleaned it all up for when she does come home, which probably won't be for awhile as she plays a fall sport. Luckily, I can get to see her to play most of the games.

In the meantime, before she left, she picked out a knitted vest and a sweater that she would like me to make for her (I finished her felted handbag before she left). So the knitting will keep me close to her and satisify my knitting need - life is good!

1to1
09-06-2005, 01:51 PM
My 10yoDD :XX: and I are making felted bags for aunts, grandmas and teachers and teddy bears for cousins.

Glen, we bought the teddy bear book you mentioned and it has some really cute bears. She has picked out several that she is going to made. She is going to start by making Heidi for herself so she can get all the kinks worked out. I want to make Catherine and Robert and Oliver and ok I want to make most of them. Thanks so much for posting about that book. :thumbsup:

I've made several bright dishclothes for smaller gifts.

GlenBoRTR
09-06-2005, 04:01 PM
Let me know how your bears turn out... I'm making Robert right now.

misstialouise
09-16-2005, 02:11 AM
Who else has one of these?

Here's mine...

DH's 3 cousins ~ iPod mini cover/pouch (different colours & patterns)
Niece & Nephew ~ spunky socks - will probably do toe-ups
DH ~ a couple of pairs of reinforced business socks (he goes through them like you wouldn't beleive!! size 16!!!)
My parents ~ felted Dogbeds (will probably use Kitty Pi pattern) in small terrier and mini doberman size.. :S My parents themselves don't need anything.. so getting them something for the dogs is cool

Do I have enough time??? Keeping in mind this is in amongst my other projects :S

DotMom61
09-16-2005, 09:48 AM
Dang... no time to read about all of the great projects people are making, but mine consists of one Pie Are Square Shawl (a la Elizabeth Zimmerman) for my Mom. I have about 96 giant-sized rows to go plus the edging. :shock:

I'm also working on 5 Booga Bags or Oregon Totes (some of one; some of the other) for some nurses that take care of my son. They're supposed to be baby gifts, but at the rate I'm moving, they probably won't be done 'til Christmas!

I would love to make some more stuff for people for Christmas, but this year I'm afraid I'll run out of time. Maybe I'll finish some things up early and be able to throw in some small gifty things at the last minute.