PDA

View Full Version : First Projects

punkhippiemom
09-06-2005, 10:07 AM
OK, somebody suggested a while ago (I'd give credit, but I have a notoriously bad memory and can't remember who it was :oops: ) that we start a thread showcasing our first projects. Since I just happened to find mine today, I figured I'd go first. Please join in!!

My first projects were slippers. I couldn't find any patterns that I really loved (this was before I saw the FT clogs - those are awesome!!) so I made up some of my own. Clockwise, a slipper knitted flat and then seamed at the toe and up the front in garter stitch, another one done the same way in a really pretty raspberry boucle that I love, my very first try at a Mary Jane style slipper done with some yarn left over from a blanket that I crocheted for DH a few years ago, and a badly executed (my increases were way off because I neglected to read the pattern correctly)version of the Pocketbook Slipper, which is what I ended up making almost everyone (scroll down to see what it looks like on - not so bad, really). In the background you can see my practice swatch of basketweave...
All of these were done in the first week I learned how to knit. I did a TON of stuff that first month, but almost all of it was given away for Xmas.

OK, everyone, let's see em! Warts and all!

brendajos
09-06-2005, 10:28 AM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/brendajos/Knitted%20Stuff/scarves002.jpg

there's mine. i think my eyes prolly bugged outta my head when i heard how much the yarn cost that i picked out for my very first project. as i recall it was $20 for the hank. yeah i am actually better at what i do know and i STILL haven't bought yarn that expensive again. sheesh. AND i don't even have it anymore...lol...i gave it as a gift. It took me longer to finish it than it should have only because after i bound off i couldn't figure out what to do with that last loop. None of the videos i looked at showed what to do with it after you bind off. :rollseyes:

javede
09-06-2005, 11:11 AM
The first project that I didn't frogged was a gigantic over 2m long grey scarf. Actually, I don't even know were it is now...searches...hmm...nope, no scarf there :??
Acccording to a post over at craftster I began knitting this one two weeks after I began knitting and finished it a week later. Can't really remember anything about it anymore(posted there on the 13. September).

dustinac
09-06-2005, 12:14 PM
My first projects were a dishrag, a purse, and a baby blanket :lol: had them going all at once.. The dishrag is a doiley ?sp on my dinning table hodling a candle cause I won't use it.. The purse went to my lil girl cause it turned out smaller than what I thought it would and the first afghan I made went to her Memory chest she will get it when she turns 18...

ekgheiy
09-06-2005, 12:30 PM
My first projects were a dishrag, a purse, and a baby blanket :lol: had them going all at once.. The dishrag is a doiley ?sp on my dinning table hodling a candle cause I won't use it.. The purse went to my lil girl cause it turned out smaller than what I thought it would and the first afghan I made went to her Memory chest she will get it when she turns 18... :( I can't see the washcloth and bag. The pic is too dark :(

punkhippiemom
09-06-2005, 12:38 PM
... It took me longer to finish it than it should have only because after i bound off i couldn't figure out what to do with that last loop. None of the videos i looked at showed what to do with it after you bind off. :rollseyes:
:roflhard: I know... I looked and looked around to find out, and finally I just figured that all you did with the last st in crochet was to cut the yarn and pull it through, I'd give it a try - worked good enough for me!!!
Beautiful scarf, what a wonderful thing to create on your first try!

Javede, I love yours, too - it looks so comfy and snuggly...

Dustinac - I like the colors in that blanket...and are those bobbles???

:cheering: Thanks for sharing, everyone!

dustinac
09-06-2005, 01:36 PM
:( I can't see the washcloth and bag. The pic is too dark :(

I'm sorry :( wonder why it looks so dark on my screen it doesn't... :??

punkhippiemom~ :lol: I haven't done any bobbles yet but want to after seeing them on knitty gritty.. I knitted flowers and butterflies and attached them on the afghan :lol:

kc
09-06-2005, 02:06 PM
Javede - Do you still have the pattern for that scarf? I think I'll try it for my first project.

ekgheiy
09-06-2005, 02:13 PM
I'm sorry :( wonder why it looks so dark on my screen it doesn't... :?? Weeeelll ... judging by the blankey, I'm positive that your bag and cloth look splendid, simply splendid! :mrgreen:

Julie
09-06-2005, 03:01 PM
When I started knitting I made myself knit through an entire skein of Red Heart before I was allowed to learn to purl. The result was a freakishly long scarf. I wouldn't wear it or anything...but I just love how it looks awful at the beginning (right) and all nice and even at the end. Ah, progress!

punkhippiemom
09-06-2005, 04:08 PM
:shock: Wow, you're ruthless! And determined!!
That's pretty neat, though, to have the whole thing in front of you to show yourself how far you've come...

Silver
09-06-2005, 10:29 PM
What a neat thread!! Great idea! :)

My very first project was a scarf for my daughter... she still loves the Barbie Pink in it. Then I knitted a baby blanket for a dear friend. They're both knit with Red Heart yarns. :rofling:

KellyK
09-06-2005, 11:11 PM
My first project was a scarf & matching hat for my niece....I was ALL into the fun fur back then! It was that and LB Watercolors.

LisaD715
09-06-2005, 11:34 PM
Kelly.......she is sooooo cute!!!! I would be knitting for her all the time!!!

beldaraan
09-06-2005, 11:52 PM
Here's my first project. I used fair isle for the whole vw part :D

KellyK
09-07-2005, 12:09 AM
Thanks, Lis!! And she is ALL personality! :lol:

Hey, Beld! I remember that hat!!! :mrgreen:

javede
09-07-2005, 01:03 AM
Javede - Do you still have the pattern for that scarf? I think I'll try it for my first project.

It's not really a pattern. I just casted on as much stitches as I liked(I think it's about 17cm wide) and began to knit in stockinette for a few rows.
Then to create that stripe with the bumbs you purl a row instead of knit it and continue from there in stockinette. Hope that makes sense ;)
But be careful, that way the scarf will curl in!

Love all your first projects! Much more colorful than mine ;)

punkhippiemom
09-07-2005, 07:13 AM
Hey beld - I made that hat for my boys! That was the first thing I made after the Christmas frenzy!!
I looove that pattern - it was the only one I could find that was done on straight needles - I hadn't even seen a pair of circular needles at the time, let alone DPN's :help:
Lemme see if I can dig them out :thinking:

punkhippiemom
09-07-2005, 07:15 AM
Oh yeah, and KK - I can't believe that was your first project - I remember seeing that little cutie baby :heart: doesn't seem like that long ago :?? ...

KellyK
09-07-2005, 08:24 AM
I've only been knitting since Janaury....

Rorshach
09-07-2005, 08:57 AM
only since January? wow, a real go getter, aren't you? Knitting and chatting. Sooo, do you knit one row, type one row?

jodstr2
09-07-2005, 09:52 AM
my first non-frogged project was this scarf made with Bernat Boa and Caron (?I think it's Caron?) Simply Soft. I think I finished the scarf around last New Year's Eve.

beldaraan
09-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Hey beld - I made that hat for my boys!
That hat was supposed to go to my husband, but I made a larger one for him and this one went to my son :heart:

I am not fond of scarves, so I spent a lot of time looking for a project that was still good for a starter. Truth be known, I was going to knit the hat and then frog it. I was only going to use it as a big ole practice project, but my hubby said he liked it.

benniesma
09-07-2005, 04:58 PM
My first project was this hat for my dad. (Modeled here by my DH.) It's a pattern from Amy's free pattern links and knit with Lion Brand wool-something-or-other. I'd know the name for sure, but I'm too tired to go look in my stash for the leftover skein for the name. :rollseyes:

Sara
09-07-2005, 08:39 PM
Here is my first. Thankfully, the picture quality is horrid, so the sweater looks pretty! :lol: I made it about 4 yrs ago. It is Lion Brand Microspun, so it is SOOO soft, but of course it made those twisty ridges as that kind of yarn is wont to do. I ran my ends under some rows to finish it, so of course they all stick out on the right side. :mad: But I love the color and it really was pretty impressive for a first project, if I say so myself. It even has eyelet around the waist and cuffs. And my big confession is that she never wore it! Her head was/is really big and the hood never fit, so I never let her wear it 'cause she would cry if she couldn't put the hood up. (She gets her stubborn streak from her father. ;) )

KellyK
09-07-2005, 09:21 PM
That is DAMNED impressive for a first project, Sara!!

Ingrid
09-07-2005, 09:25 PM
It certainly is! My first project was a book mark, five stitches wide. :rollseyes:

I was 9. Then I made a Barbie skirt--which is a short horizontal bookmark. ;)

ekgheiy
09-08-2005, 11:03 AM
That is DAMNED impressive for a first project, Sara!! DITTO!!!! :shock: