PDA

View Full Version : desperate for a teacher

squeak_50
09-08-2005, 08:25 PM
Hello all knitters, I am a newbie! I am also looking to see where I can find a group of knitters, to join or a more experienced knitter to help me. I have done scarves, but thats all, and one person only needs so many scarves. I want to do afgahns, and lap blankets but am overwhelmed by the size of them, and many of the stitches have me totally confused.
I have hung a sign in the local post office and got no responses. There is only 1 store close to me that deals with yarn and they blew me off saying they do not help people for free and there only class meets during the day while I work.
I am so discoraged....I am ready to quit. I do not know what else to do.
~Tracy
i am in central Pennsylvania near the williamsport/lock haven area.

Mer
09-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Hmm, I don't know of any places in your area, but for groups you might want to check out the list here (http://www.stitchnbitch.org/snb_groups.htm) and see if there's one in your area.

If you just need visual directions, have you looked at all of Amy's videos on this site? I could not learn from books at all but having these videos at my fingertips was like having my own private teacher! And anyone on the forum would be happy to help you with any questions! :D

Silver
09-08-2005, 09:33 PM
You can also check this page (http://www.e-offinger.net/tkga/guildsbystate2.cfm) for a local chapter of The Knitting Guild of America. If there is a chapter close enough to you, contact the president and ask where local meetings are held. Most often, you do not have to be a member of TKGA to go to a meeting. They're just happy to have more knitters to talk to! (At least, that's how my chapter is!) :)

rebecca
09-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Tracy, please don't give up, I know that it can be very frustrating! Try watching Amy's video and doing what she is doing as she is doing it, work along with her. Also, go to the Knitty Gritty Website and look thru all of the shows, most of them have video clips of different things, u can find a list here (http://www.diynet.com/diy/shows_dkng/). And when all else fails...google something specific and, chances are, there's a tutorial of some sort that will be helpful. I am self taught and have been knitting a bit over a year and found that 'Knitting for Dummies' is the greatest book ever!!
We are here if we can help :D

Jeremy
09-08-2005, 09:56 PM
I'm also a newbie-I started in May and most of the help I've received is right here on Amy's site! Give it a shot. This site is loaded with very friendly people always willing to help. :D

ekgheiy
09-09-2005, 11:01 AM
Oh yes!! Totally, we're here to help!! Along w/ the S&B and TKGA, you could also try www.meetup.com to see if any knitting groups have formed in your area under meetup.com.

Also - if the you want to make afghan, I say go for it! You can conquer the number of stitches by doing an afghan in panels whereby you'd only have to consentrate on maybe 30 or 40 sts or so (depending on the pattern) at a time. Working a panel afghan is equivalent to make a few scarves and then sewing them together length-wise. Eight 5" x 40" scarves will give ya a 40"x40" blankie! ;)

Just don't give up; knitting is way too much to give up. :mrgreen:

squeak_50
09-09-2005, 05:13 PM
To everyone,
Thanks so much for the encouragement! The videos are a huge help! I guess I just need to remind myself to go slow and be patient and also to give myself credit for what I have learned yet. Thanks so much and I will keep looking for a warm body to help me learn. Thanks for the website ideas also.
~Tracy
knitting, knitting...........I think I can, I think I can.