PDA

View Full Version : Am I asking too much?

LisaD715
09-10-2005, 10:12 PM
Ok, here is my plight...I am looking for a soft, luxury yarn to make a cozy afghan for my sister. I want it to be at least hand washable, and it cannot be scratchy, it has to be something she wants to come home and curl up with. I would prefer it for use year round, but that might be a bit difficult as she may be headed to NYC soon. My budget is $100 for a full size afghan.

Any ideas?

SoapDoc
09-10-2005, 10:51 PM
How many hanks in a typical full size afgan?

I can't say this enough.....I LOVE the Misti Alpaca. It is soooooo soft I would LOVE to make something I could curl up with out of it too -- but it may be out of the budget if you can't find it on sale somewhere. I think it was $10 for 108 yds. when I got it. Would 10 hanks do it?

Ingrid
09-10-2005, 10:54 PM
I bet someone here could point you in the right direction on the Knit Picks site. Their yarns are very reasonable, but I don't have any personal experience with them yet.

LisaD715
09-11-2005, 12:52 AM
Rebecca and I have talked about Andean Silk.......I am leaning toward that, but I am still looking, just to make sure I have all of my bases covered.

rebecca
09-11-2005, 11:27 AM
Lisa, one of the books that I am sending is using Plymouth yarn, here's (http://www.plymouthyarn.com/index.php?nav=cPatterns.patternGallery&yarn_id=000004&pattern_id=000256) the site and a pretty afghan on the page ;)

Sara
09-12-2005, 08:43 AM
I really like Plymouth Encore. It's next to the skin soft, pretty colors and about five dollars a skein. It would make a lovely afghan!

meknitter
09-12-2005, 12:22 PM
I've used Plymouth Encore - soft, nice and heavy.

Just bought Divine by Patons. $4.99 for 142 yds. Fuzzy and not to hard to knit with (making a shawl on 13's). This is the first time using this yarn - so not sure how it holds up in the long run.

kemp
09-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Rebecca and I have talked about Andean Silk.......I am leaning toward that, but I am still looking, just to make sure I have all of my bases covered.

I'm not too sure about the Andean Silk...it says hand wash on the package and I haven't tried to machine was it yet.

Ellen Edwards
09-12-2005, 02:35 PM
TOO BAD WE CAN'T FEEL THE YARN OVER THEE NET SO WE'D KNOW HOW SOFT IT IS! CAN SOMEBODY FIX THAT SOON???? ;) :roflhard:

Ingrid
09-12-2005, 04:55 PM
My vote is for Encore, too. The Great American Afghans are knit with that and it's got all the plusses--inexpensive, good selection, washability/dryability, soft.

LisaD715
09-12-2005, 05:10 PM
Thank you all so much for your help. It is just really important to me that she love it. I feel like with her being so far away she will need lovin from home, and I want her to feel that way when she wraps up in it. I like the Encore. I am going to hit the LYS ad see if they have anything I love....

rebecca
09-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Well, Lisa....I read the 'name' of this thread and, personally....I think you are asking too much :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: u so funny

Ingrid
09-12-2005, 08:39 PM
Well, Lisa....I read the 'name' of this thread and, personally....I think you are asking too much :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: u so funny

Actually when I read it the first time I was tempted to say, "Yes, you are." and leave it at that!

rebecca
09-13-2005, 11:21 PM

Actually when I read it the first time I was tempted to say, "Yes, you are." and leave it at that!

I'm afraid that I was just unable to resist :roflhard: :roflhard: And, considering that I know that she knows I'm kidding...I just had to do it ;) . What are friends for?!

LisaD715
09-14-2005, 02:17 PM
I would have done that too, (I am just too flippant at times) that I why I asked that question. I think I am going with Andean Silk, they have the colors I want. I am waiting until I look through a couple book to find the perfect throw for her before I finally decide. SUCH a hard decision.....