PDA

View Full Version : uuuuh oh...yarn question

brendajos
09-12-2005, 08:13 PM
i bought some yarn today...(and yesterday AND the day before...sheeeesh)...and i meant to ask before i paid for this stuff and i forgot. The tag says "permanently mothproofed"....does anybody know if that means it won't felt? the colors are perdy and i wanna make a hat out of it but if it won't felt then i will have a problem...

and speaking of problems, seriously....my yarn obsession is ridiculous! I went yarn shopping with my mother (before going counted cross stitch shopping for her!) and got a ridiculous amount of yarn. Came home and went on knitpicks and finally ordered yarn to make the clogs and a couple of bags i have been wanting to make (and that doesn't include the yarn i need to make that satchel from Interweave ...that yarn is still in my wishlist!!).....and then i got home yesterday and my LYS had a card in my mail box for a 25% off sale....ANNNNNNNND i had to call the yarn store that i shopped at on Saturday and pick up two more skeins to match what i bought there....sheeesh....i think my teddy bear obsession is cheaper!

Ingrid
09-12-2005, 08:32 PM
But what can you actually DO with a teddy bear? Hmm?

I would check out the washing directions of the yarn to take a first step if it's feltable. I have no clue how they permanently moth-proof yarn.

foldedbird
09-12-2005, 08:33 PM
Since you have a yarn problem and a teddy bear problem, maybe you could just knit clothes for your teddy bears?

brendajos
09-12-2005, 08:48 PM
awww my teddy bears are CUTE! and nekkid....God didn't put clothes on bears and i ain't gonna either! (don't even get me started on the fact that he didn't put clothes on me either....i put clothes on me as a public service!)

well the washing instructions looook like it would be feltable...no heat, no woolite, no washing machine...etc....but i am curious about that mothproofing. oh well....i am gonna go for it. if it doesn't i will make a hat for a giant man i guess.

mohair is very sheddy btw....

foldedbird
09-12-2005, 08:57 PM
Why don't you knit a small swatch and see if you can get the swatch to felt...then you won't have time invested into a big project and realize your efforts have been wasted!

brendajos
09-12-2005, 09:25 PM
didn't i mention that i am a lazy knitter? sheesh. lol. i think that i can probably just do a join to see what it will do though. or i could call brown sheep company and see what the heck that means!....lol

Silver
09-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Well, I know Lamb's Pride is mothproofed, and it is feltable.

The only thing I know about mothproofed yarn, is that it's treated with pesticides somehow. But I don't know if it has any lasting effects that would make it an irritant to the wearer. However, I wouldn't use it for baby items.

brendajos
09-12-2005, 11:40 PM
*sigh* i can't believe i didn't consider that it was treated with pesticides. seems logical and now i am sad that i bought it.....wellllllllll i guess since i have it i will put it to good use :rollseyes:

the plan is for it to be a hat....we'll see if that is what it really wants to be....lol

foldedbird
09-13-2005, 01:25 AM
Pesticides? Gosh, where is a HURL emoticon when you need one???

Ingrid
09-13-2005, 07:42 AM
Wool carpeting these days are all treated with 'permanent' mothproofing. I doubt the yarn is dripping in DDT!

kemp
09-13-2005, 11:00 AM
like the new pic, folde

Silver
09-13-2005, 12:03 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to be disappointed that it's mothproofed. I've heard good things about Lamb's Pride yarn. It can't be that bad! :)

foldedbird
09-13-2005, 04:01 PM
like the new pic, folde

Why thank you, kemp! I figured I'd let yall see my ugly mug for a little while :O). I am verrrry proud of this cap, it turned out so well!