PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what this contraption is??

ekgheiy
09-16-2005, 12:16 PM
Howdie!!
A lady in my step class was giving away her mother inlaw's things (I think she passed away). Amongst the belongings was some knitting stuff. So she let me have some dpns, some dowels that look like she was trying to make her own needles (I'll finish'em), and ... this thing (see attachment) ... :??

It's the only thing I could muster through MSpaint. :oops: And I couldn't google 'cause I have no clue what words to google.

Anyone have any idea what this thing is??? I'm stumped. :??

KellyK
09-16-2005, 12:18 PM
Maybe a part of an old ball winder?? :??

ekgheiy
09-16-2005, 12:19 PM
Oops ... forgot to add: It's about 16" tall. The distance btw the frame sides is about 4", while the "base" is about 4.5" wide. :??

There was another one in the bag of goodies, but it was smaller in all three dimensions mentioned above... :thinking:

ekgheiy
09-16-2005, 12:26 PM
Maybe a part of an old ball winder?? :?? Hm :thinking: I don't see any joints, knobs, or blips that would indicate that it's a piece of something. It looks complete.

Lemme look up pics of all of types of ball winders... Thanks for the lead, KK!! :thumbsup:

KellyK
09-16-2005, 12:28 PM
Maybe a CONE winder, or a bobbin for a spinning contraption?

ekgheiy
09-16-2005, 12:35 PM
Well - I found this. Check out the Clover Hair Pin Lace Tool (http://www.yarn-store.com/knit-tools-other.html)(almost half way down the page). So the yarn that's wrapped around my "Mystery Find" is wrapped kind of like the yarn in the example (http://www.yarn-store.com/images/clover/Clover-3104-hair-pin-lace-2.jpg). :thinking:

Onward searchbound ... *ekgheiy skips out of the room w/ her crackerjack-box badge* :mrgreen:

Ingrid
09-16-2005, 12:46 PM
My first thought was a hair pin lace maker, too.

Sara
09-16-2005, 12:47 PM
Is it some kind of loom? :??

ekgheiy
09-16-2005, 12:56 PM
:drool: More leads!!! Off to google ... zoooooooom...

ekgheiy
09-16-2005, 01:04 PM
Ooo, Oh, Click me babie!! --> :eyebrow: (http://www.dropspindle.info/images/hairpinlaceloom.jpg) <-- Click me.

KellyK
09-16-2005, 01:42 PM
OH! I thought it was a conical-shaped thing! Its FLAT! :doh:

NEW SKILL FOR EEK!!! :cheering:

benniesma
09-16-2005, 03:03 PM
So what's hairpin lace?

Ingrid
09-16-2005, 03:05 PM
http://www.crochettreasures.com/hairpin.htm

I've never done it, just seen it in the back of instruction books.

Vendie
09-16-2005, 06:25 PM
Ok, I just have to apologize. I've glanced at the title of this thread I don't know how many times, and EVERYTIME I read it as contraception, instead of contraption. And then to see the picture.... :roflhard:

What a difference 2 letters makes.

Ingrid
09-16-2005, 06:36 PM
:roflhard: The IUD from hell! :roflhard:

Vendie
09-16-2005, 06:40 PM
Yikes, :shock: that's all I have to say about that. What a visual.

:roflhard:

KellyK
09-16-2005, 09:42 PM
YEOUCH!! :shock:

jodstr2
09-16-2005, 10:10 PM
Ok, I just have to apologize. I've glanced at the title of this thread I don't know how many times, and EVERYTIME I read it as contraception, instead of contraption. And then to see the picture.... :roflhard:

OMG!!! :shock: me too! I kept seeing 'contraception'!!! :roflhard:
(sorry ekgheiy :oops: )

foldedbird
09-17-2005, 01:41 AM
You guys are scaring me...I happen to have an IUD.

KellyK
09-17-2005, 09:11 AM
Well, HEY, Deni! I betcha didnt KNOW you could also make LACE with it!! :shock:

Vendie
09-17-2005, 09:47 AM

OMG!!! :shock: me too! I kept seeing 'contraception'!!! :roflhard:
(sorry ekgheiy :oops: )

And, don't you know, I even know better now, but STILL everytime I scroll by this thread, I keep seeing CONTRACEPTION!!

There's a store sign downtown that says SHIMP OPTICAL, but I swear, everytime I drive by it, I see SHRIMP OPTICAL....maybe it's a sign that I need to get my eyes checked..."If you can't read this sign correctly, please stop in for an eye examination...no, really, please do...honest, there's no R in our name..."

well ek, at least you know where all of our head are, so it's really not that surprising... ;)

ekgheiy
09-19-2005, 10:24 AM
:roflhard: The IUD from hell! :roflhard: :rofl: :rofling:

ekgheiy
09-19-2005, 10:25 AM
Well, HEY, Deni! I betcha didnt KNOW you could also make LACE with it!! :shock: La la la da dodbie doo :XX: :roflhard: :roflhard:

jodstr2
09-19-2005, 10:39 AM
There's a store sign downtown that says SHIMP OPTICAL

as soon as I read that I pictured shrimp being fitted with glasses!

Sara
09-19-2005, 06:19 PM
I was thinking that it said SHRIMP COCKTAIL. :shock: I get my eyes checked next Monday. :lol:

gimmesanity
09-19-2005, 06:49 PM
Ooo, Oh, Click me babie!! --> :eyebrow: (http://www.dropspindle.info/images/hairpinlaceloom.jpg) <-- Click me.

I was going to ask about this...I received a bag full of some old yarn from one of my neighbors (it belonged to his gma, who passed away a few years ago.) There were a bunch of dpns, and one of these things. I had no idea what it was for, and I was about to post a picture of it.

....umm....I'm still not sure what it's used for, though. :??

Ingrid
09-19-2005, 06:53 PM
http://www.crochettreasures.com/hairpin.htm

It makes hairpin lace for things like afghans.

gimmesanity
09-19-2005, 06:55 PM
What's hairpin lace? I need a better pic of it...hmm...do you use it as a panel in afghans? It just looks like shoelace to me. :thinking:

Ingrid
09-19-2005, 07:06 PM
I found this hairpin lace bonnet.

Vendie
09-19-2005, 07:22 PM
I was thinking that it said SHRIMP COCKTAIL. :shock: I get my eyes checked next Monday. :lol:

:thinking: hmmm, are you hungry by any chance??? I don't even like Shrimp, so I don't know what my problem is...except that I like to put extra letters in words.

DotMom61
09-26-2005, 10:36 AM
Well, HEY, Deni! I betcha didnt KNOW you could also make LACE with it!! :shock:

Bwahh haha hahahahhahahahh!!!!
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Lacedolphin
09-29-2005, 08:04 AM
hot dog something lace related!! :happydance: now i'm in my element!! :cheering:

What you got there is a hair pin lace frame!! you use tatting thread and with a series of knots and a thin crochet hook you can make lace. Its a very old craft and not very popular now, but I know it was popular for a few years in the 50's . Most tatters and bobbin lace people ( those are 2 types of lace making also) can point you in the right direction to teach you if you would like to learn. Also www.lacis.com carries books on hairpin lace and some supplies for it. If there is anything else you would like to know, you can e-mail me directly at lacedolphin3@yahoo.com

I've been making all types of hand-made lace for about 8 years now but I have never gotten the chance to conqure hairpin yet. But it's on my list!! :thumbsup: