PDA

View Full Version : SSN for Yarn?

Ingrid
09-22-2005, 03:44 PM
I ordered some yarn from Yarn Forward, which is in Canada. I've ordered from them before, never a problem.

There was a call on my answering machine yesterday saying that in order for the yarn to be delivered by UPS, I must provide my Social Security Number or Tax ID number, since the US Govt. requires this for textiles.

HUH! :shock: Never needed this before, and I certainly won't give it now.

Anyone else ever heard of this?

I've tried calling several times with no answer, so I'm going to fax them telling them that, no, they can't have it.

gimmesanity
09-22-2005, 03:53 PM
That doesn't really make sense... :?? if you send something to someone overseas, you don't need to add THEIR ssn to the package...and, vice versa, if someone sends you something, say a friend, it's not like they have to call you up and ask for you ssn.

I wouldn't do it...then again, I'm all paranoid about having too much of my personal info out "there", you know?

~Sharon

mintdee
09-22-2005, 03:57 PM
That just does not sound right at all. I think that now a days you just can not be too careful. If you hear anything back from them let us know.

KellyK
09-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Nope - I wouldnt. :fingerwag: Is it possible someone hacked into their computer and snatched their order files?? :shock:

brendajos
09-22-2005, 04:04 PM
absolutely not! and especially if you can't get them on the phone...i would strongly consider contacting the postmaster general whatsy doozie too.

Ingrid
09-22-2005, 04:11 PM
I did a reverse directory on their number and it wasn't a number that I could get ID on. I did a trace on the package and at last check it was in Plattsburg awaiting information from Clearing Agency. I don't care if this number is from a clearing agency, they're still not getting my information. They can return the package and send it to me by mail, or not at all. There's more yarn out there.

When I tried calling, there's no way to leave a message, either. Just a lot of ringing and a machine telling me that the party I'm calling is not available, then a disconnect.

I'll keep you posted. I didn't think I was the only one who found this unusual.

She had left a fax no. so I did send a fax stating that I was not going to reveal sensitive, personal information for a few balls of yarn and that I thought the request was in error. We'll see.

brendajos
09-22-2005, 04:23 PM
hey Ingrid i just sent you a PM on this. if you want me to see what i can find i will. :)

Ingrid
09-22-2005, 04:32 PM
I sent you one back. Thanks.

ekgheiy
09-22-2005, 05:58 PM
:?? The word SHADY comes to mind for sure!!! :thinking:

rebecca
09-22-2005, 05:59 PM
Does all sound a bit hinky. Please keep us posted

Ingrid
09-22-2005, 06:54 PM
The package has been sitting in Plattsburgh since yesterday morning, so I emailed UPS to see what the situation was. I won't under any circumstances give out my SSN--that's ridiculous--I'm not receiving hazardous materials or firearms--so I should supposedly hear in 24 hours.

KellyK
09-22-2005, 08:06 PM
Does all sound a bit hinky.

OOH! I LIKE that word!!!! :cheering: Im gonna use it sometime!

brendajos
09-22-2005, 08:21 PM
mmhmmm....but that is the second time i have had to do a double take when i saw it.... :rollseyes: :oops:

Ingrid
09-23-2005, 05:44 PM
I heard from UPS. Apparently, according to them, US Customs has a new policy that every recipient of a shipment coming into the US must provide proof of residency via SSN or Tax ID # for a business. It is part of the terrorist prevention stuff. She told me that someone had to provide their info to receive a pair of socks worth 47 cents.

I went up the chain of command, and she sent me an email from UPS to verify that I was talking to UPS.

Some countries of origin and types of products require even more proof.

So, welcome to 2005!

So I gave it to her. What the heck. If someone wants my identity, they can have it. I'm certainly tired of it! :lol:

Silver
09-23-2005, 05:58 PM
Well, there's something to be said about homeland security. I don't know exactly what it is, but it's something. :rollseyes:

Ingrid
09-23-2005, 06:01 PM
Yeah, you can never tell just how many people I can tie up with mauve superwash!

I went and checked on the tracking of the package and there was a change in status right after I spoke to the woman, so there's one more reassurance that it's legit.

brendajos
09-23-2005, 07:43 PM
hrmm...considering i have had two packages of pointy metal sticks with cords attached to them come in from Hong Kong recently, i would have thought i would have had to give up some info too...but then again it came in through USPS so maybe it is just other carriers.... :thinking: in theory it makes sense but they should have a better means for judging that than the SSN.

ekgheiy
09-23-2005, 07:52 PM
Does all sound a bit hinky. OOH! I LIKE that word!!!! :cheering: Im gonna use it sometime! Hey that word was in The Fugitive w/ Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones. "Sam Gerard" didn't like the word; he took the steps b/c he didn't want his coworkers "usin' words that got no meaning". :roflhard: :roflhard:

foldedbird
09-24-2005, 01:38 AM
Do you know if this company sells yarn wholesale? If it does, there might be a much simpler answer here. If you have a tax id number, you can use your SSN instead of giving the number...when you have a small business, it's attached to your SSN.

Ingrid
09-24-2005, 09:26 AM
I don't have a tax id number. And according to this woman that I spoke to, it doesn't matter who is selling it to you, it's who's receiving it that's important under this policy.

If I order out of country again, I'm going to pick USPS every time, rather than deal with UPS. It's not a UPS policy, it's a Customs policy, but I imagine the USPS has more access to info so I don't have to do this each time.

If anyone else runs into this, please share!

foldedbird
09-24-2005, 04:33 PM
I was meaning maybe they thought you did, but looks like that isn't the case anyway.

What a weird thing to happen!

Ingrid
09-27-2005, 05:14 PM
Well the High Security Yarn arrived today. After all that, it's not the color I thought it would be. I'm keeping it, though. Lord knows what I'd have to do to return it!! Looks threatening, doesn't it!!

KellyK
09-27-2005, 05:47 PM
:shock: OMG Ingrid be CAREFUL with that stuff!!!!!! :oo:

Its a PRETTY color! :heart: What's wrong with it?

Jivewhistle
09-27-2005, 05:49 PM
omg Ingrid, what a crazy experience!! They really got this Homeland Security stuff screwed up if I do say so myself. :??

I'll have to keep this in mind if SU ever buys something overseas off ebay and chooses UPS.

Ingrid
09-27-2005, 05:52 PM
:shock: OMG Ingrid be CAREFUL with that stuff!!!!!! :oo:

Its a PRETTY color! :heart: What's wrong with it?

I don't dislike it, it IS pretty, but I was looking for more of a mauve. I'll have to match it up with the other yarn I have and see what looks best with what.

And Jivewhistle--Anything from any other country, I'm going to ask for regular mail. I thought UPS would be quicker, but not when it sits waiting for clearance for days.

MaryB
09-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Oh yes, that yarn definitely looks suspicious to me. I'm sure glad that the super powers have your SSN#. This is a dangerous situation. Step away from the yarn! Do not attempt to knit with this fiber. Big Brother is watching!! :hiding:

Ingrid
09-27-2005, 06:04 PM
:thinking: The sheep on the label, does look a bit like a communist! :rofling:

Jivewhistle
09-27-2005, 06:43 PM
The sheep on the label, does look a bit like a communist!

:roflhard: :roflhard:

KellyK
09-27-2005, 08:10 PM
:mad: RED B**TARDS! :mad:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

MaryB
09-27-2005, 08:46 PM
Funny----the sheep don't look RED on my monitor! :roflhard:

foldedbird
09-27-2005, 09:05 PM
Sheepo Commie Scum?

Ingrid
09-27-2005, 09:07 PM
Notice the sickle-shaped horn :thinking:

foldedbird
09-27-2005, 09:13 PM
:roflhard: :rofling: Ingrid, I'm so glad you've found this evidence for us!

KellyK
09-27-2005, 09:45 PM
Ingrid, have you been hangin out with Hildie??? :roflhard:

Ingrid
09-27-2005, 09:57 PM
No, but I must say I've learned quite a bit about posting pics since I've been hanging around here. Watch out! :eyebrow: :mrgreen:

Sara
09-28-2005, 12:16 AM
:mad: RED B**TARDS! :mad:

Don't you mean "Baa-aa-aa-*tards!"?

:roflhard:

mintdee
09-28-2005, 12:20 AM
Don't you mean "Baa-aa-aa-*tards!"?

foldedbird
09-28-2005, 03:44 AM
You girls are KILLING ME!

Ingrid
09-28-2005, 07:46 AM
:roflhard: The Red Baaaaaaaastard from the EweSSR! :roflhard:

KellyK
09-28-2005, 07:50 AM
:shock: O.....M.....G :shock:

foldedbird
09-28-2005, 08:07 AM
:roflhard: The Red Baaaaaaaastard from the EweSSR! :roflhard:

Oh, dear lord...can it get any worse? :roflhard:

Rorshach
09-28-2005, 08:23 PM
Ask a dumb question.

Those Baa aa aa stards from the EweSSR are trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

Ingrid
09-28-2005, 08:30 PM
:rofling: GROAN!

Ingrid
10-07-2005, 03:27 PM
A little update to add some frosting to the cake. UPS just sent me a bill for $38 to pay for processing and package handling fee. Custom fee was $1.68 of this charge. :roflhard: My stand is going to be that since I was not informed, in my emails nor phone conversations with UPS that there would be a charge in addition to invasion of my privacy, they can waive the fee or come get the package.

This is so ridiculous!! Sorry Canadians--I can't order from you any more. :(

mintdee
10-07-2005, 03:40 PM
Wow that just tops it. Let us know how that turns out too! I hope that is some nice yarn! :rollseyes:

Ingrid
10-07-2005, 03:50 PM
It's not even in the color I thought it was going to be. :shock: I can't imagine what it would take to return it, so I'll keep it for future endeavors. The entire order came to about 25 bucks!

mintdee
10-07-2005, 03:54 PM
Sheesh! the processing is more than the yarn! That is robbery :shock: I do hope that you get this all straightened up, thats not right they make you do all of that waiting and then slap you with a charge without letting you know it was going to cost. Some people :doh:

foldedbird
10-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Mebbe you could knit up a big middle digit for the UPS?

mintdee
10-07-2005, 08:18 PM
Mebbe you could knit up a big middle digit for the UPS?

The things that I could use a knitted middle finger for!

foldedbird
10-07-2005, 08:21 PM
Dunno what you're talking about! I meant like, uh, the digit... 3. It's in the middle between 1 and 5. hehe.

Btw, I use my middle finger for the purl stitch (most of the time).

Ingrid
10-07-2005, 08:46 PM
:roflhard: I am going to make a point--and I'm sure this will just shut down their operation :rofling: --that I won't pick UPS as an option anymore. So there---man in the funny brown shorts!!

Sara
10-07-2005, 08:52 PM
My guess is that you bought $200 or more worth of stuff from the Canadians. That's when US Customs is supposed to step in. It's really ridiculous. So much for NAFTA. :rollseyes: Way to promote international commerce UPS!

Ingrid
10-07-2005, 08:54 PM
The box contained $25 worth of yarn. The woman at UPS said that because it was 'textiles' it was flagged. What a crock!

Sara
10-07-2005, 08:56 PM
:oops: I just looked back thru the thread and saw what you got. Oops! All that b.s. for $25 worth of yarn! Holy cats!

Ingrid
10-07-2005, 09:03 PM
My point, exactly! Such nonsense. I wonder with all the phone calls, stamping, stickers, web posting, how much UPS spent to make sure my yarn was securely transported. I can say one thing. They ain't gettin' it from me! :happydance:

KellyK
10-07-2005, 09:56 PM
Holy cats!

Ask and you shall receive!

amy
10-07-2005, 09:59 PM
Holy Cripes! :shock: (I mean Cats! :roflhard:) They sent you a bill for all the extra nonsense they put you through?? On TOP of the usual shipping charges you paid to the company?! What the hey?

They should send the bill to Dubya. Thanks for the extra "security" dude. :rollseyes:

OMG, "hinky" is actually a real word?! That IS a cool word!...

Dictionary.com says:
Main Entry: hinky
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: nervous or suspicious; acting suspiciously
Example: The teenagers were acting hinky.
Etymology: alteration of hincty
Usage: hinkier, hinkiest

beldaraan
10-07-2005, 10:11 PM
A little update to add some frosting to the cake. UPS just sent me a bill for $38 to pay for processing and package handling fee. Custom fee was $1.68 of this charge. :roflhard: My stand is going to be that since I was not informed, in my emails nor phone conversations with UPS that there would be a charge in addition to invasion of my privacy, they can waive the fee or come get the package.

This is so ridiculous!! Sorry Canadians--I can't order from you any more. :(
Is this just stuff from Canada or would you have had to go through it no matter where it came from?

LisaD715
10-07-2005, 10:41 PM
Maybe I should type in really small letters......I forgot where Ingrid ordered from....I ordered through them and got my yarn really fast. I shipped with USPS though, I have to say they DID NOT send me an e-mail telling me my order was shipped. Ingrid.....I would certainly NOT be paying the extra charges they billed you for.

Ingrid
10-07-2005, 11:45 PM
It was from Yarn Forward--no complaints about them, at all. It's UPS and Customs that supposedly are protecting us. From yarn. :thinking: I don't know if other countries have this situation. I do know that USPS has never asked me or charged me anything.

I'm just going to write my little rant on the bill and send it back after I make a copy.

Maybe I should send it to George W. "Hinky" Bush. :roflhard: I'd probably have men with earpieces and sunglasses on my front porch! :shock:

mintdee
10-08-2005, 12:06 AM
I'd probably have men with earpieces and sunglasses on my front porch! :shock:

If they were all hot would that be such a bad thing? :eyebrow: :roflhard:

Ingrid
10-08-2005, 12:07 AM
Well I don't think they'd be there to DATE me!! :rofling:

mintdee
10-08-2005, 12:09 AM
Who said anything about date? ;)

Ingrid
10-08-2005, 12:21 AM
:fingerwag: :eyebrow:

beldaraan
10-08-2005, 12:25 AM
Ooooh, they'd probably be in suits too. :eyebrow: You go Ingy!

AidanM
10-08-2005, 12:50 AM
When did this thread get so knotty?
Ya'll are a bunch of knotty knitties.

foldedbird
10-08-2005, 12:52 AM
I'd probably have men with earpieces and sunglasses on my front porch! :shock:

Maybe they'll be cute!

foldedbird
10-08-2005, 12:53 AM
I really gotta start reading the next page before I kwote & re:. At least I'm not alone in being knotty, tho.

If they give you any trouble, Ingrid, send 'em my way! I've never been handcuffed (uh, by police or the SS) before!

Ingrid
10-08-2005, 10:28 AM
:shock:

mintdee
10-08-2005, 12:02 PM
I think that I will have to order Canadian yarn so I can get men in sunglasses on my front porch ... :thinking:
Maybe my DH will suit up and stand on the front porch... :roflhard:

Ingrid
10-08-2005, 12:19 PM
:eyebrow:

mintdee
10-08-2005, 12:44 PM
*faint* I looove men in suits! :eyebrow: (that little icon is getting a work out around here hehee)

foldedbird
10-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Just imagine what its like to have a man in a uniform around ALL the time. *sigh*... hollers down the stairs T, got any handcuffs?

Ingrid
10-08-2005, 08:57 PM
:roflhard: :eyebrow:

mintdee
10-08-2005, 08:59 PM
Lucky girl :eyebrow: :roflhard:

foldedbird
10-08-2005, 09:00 PM
I am, I am! Thx!

Ellen Edwards
10-09-2005, 02:37 AM
Whoa!! I never thought it would come to this....I SO love our UPS man! He is sooo nice and he always puts the heavy packages in a chair by the front door for me . With a big smile too!!. :heart:

But I can't be giving out my SS # just for UPS, now can I?? :XX: Although methinks I'll be using the USPS from now on.

Guess I won't be seein' him anymore--UPSY DAISY, UPS-Y MAN...it was good knowin' ya!! ;)

brendajos
10-09-2005, 09:39 AM
lol....i think you can still have visits from the UPS man as long as he isn't bringing in slightly nefarious yarn from the land up north of us.

seriously...i have gotten several packages of shiny pointy sticks sent to me from comunist countries recently with no issues at all :??...maybe the USPS loves us more than we thought they did! ;)

Ingrid
10-09-2005, 12:20 PM
I don't know if the USPS loves us or just has access to all of our personal information through the Feds, anyway.

brendajos
10-09-2005, 12:30 PM
well i am fairly certain that i am on enough of their lists to get my own time in that wonderful Cuban resort that we pay for. would seem that they might be worried about me and my shiny pointy sticks! :rofling:

Sara
10-09-2005, 09:09 PM
KK, thanks for the kitty! I tried to turn her into my avatar, but I couldn't figure it out. Holy cats! is my favorite (clean) exclamation.