PDA

View Full Version : OMG! The needles make all the difference! (what do you use?

earthchick
09-24-2005, 09:22 AM
So I'm a novice knitter who learned from a book 3 years ago, and have inconsistently knitted ever since. When I first tried it, I bought some metal needles and found I couldn't work with them. They were too slick for me, and my knitting kept sliding off. I switched to bamboo and have used bamboo ever since. For some reason, I also got the impression that was the preferred choice among most knitters, so I thought they were the "right" needles for me to be using.

Then I read on one of Amy's pages here that she prefers metal. I was having trouble with my size 9 bamboo (maybe b/c one of my cats gnawed on the end? ;) ) so I bought a pair of metal ones yesterday. OMG!!! The difference is huge. I'm knitting so fast now. I started a toddler scarf late last night and am already halfway done. I love the feel of the metal needles sliding against each other. And now that I know more of what I'm doing, I'm not having trouble keeping my stitches on the needles the way I was in the very beginning.

So now I'm wondering if I should switch all my needles to metal (just bought 3 sets of bamboo earlier this week!). What do the rest of you use, and why? Do you prefer to use all the same kind of needles, or do you switch back and forth? Inquiring minds want to know!

Vendie
09-24-2005, 09:26 AM
I prefer the weight of metal needles and I like how my stitches just glide along. I can understand how they'd be difficult to start knitting on, but somehow I managed to do that. I find bamboo ones difficult to work with, especially at smaller sizes. Plus my dog eats them when I'm not looking. I :heart: my Denise interchangeables, which are resin - like plastic, but heavier and not quite as bendy. But I would have to say that metal needles are still my favorite straight needle. I absolutely will not knit with plastic, can't stand it - too light, they bend to much, they drive me crazy.

KellyK
09-24-2005, 09:28 AM
I dont like metal either...denises or bamboo. :thumbsup:

dustinac
09-24-2005, 09:33 AM
My first pair was bamboo and I couldn't get the hang of them cause the yarn wouldn't slide!! LOL Now I use bamboo or homemade ones and jsut take wax paper to them seems to help.. Although I do have ALOT of metal needles and have the boye set and with some yarns thats what I go for the metals although after working with the wood ones I'm like woahhh slow down there come back here stitch till I get back into the grove of them LOL.. You'll prolly find out that it just depends on the yarn you are using on which feels more comfy :XX:

tab
09-24-2005, 09:44 AM
It all depends on the yarn I'm using. I love the sound and feel of metal needles, and they're what I learned on. However, I'm using very slippery yarn for one project at the moment and wooden needles are the only way I can keep myself sane working with it.

Ingrid
09-24-2005, 09:45 AM
Metal for me, too. Addis preferably, the slipperiest. But I recently made something very small diameter and bamboo were the only dpns I had available, and was glad because they didn't even attempt to slide out when I wasn't looking.

Julie
09-24-2005, 10:38 AM
I like both Addis and bamboo...I choose based on the yarn I am knitting with. You're so right...the needles make such a difference! I had knit a scarf on 13s several months ago, and I thought I hated working on large bneedles...but really, I just had BAD large needles (plastic). I bought size 13 Addis and they are woooonderful! :D

wildforyarn
09-24-2005, 10:50 AM
Currently, I only use bamboo, except for a pair of pastic needles that I am working on.. Crystal Palace Daisy. They are working much better for the yarn I am using. I have used metal, but not gotten the hang of it yet. I also just purchased a set of denise FINALLY, but am waiting for them to come, so I can't comment on them quite yet. I just also purchased a pair of addi circular because a lot of people rave about addis, but have not tried them yet either. I just really love my bamboo needles! :D

koolbreeze
09-24-2005, 11:01 AM
I like metal/plastic cirs but i prefer bamboo DPNs because the don't slide out while i'm working on another dpn. but i'll work with bamboo cirs too.

jodstr2
09-24-2005, 11:15 AM
Addi Turbos, mostly. I like them for their speed. I'm a slow knitter anyways and - like right now I'm making a blanket that's gonna be 5'x6' - I need all the help I can get doing this fast.

but on these sock yarn scarves I've gotten quite used to Clover bamboo.
my DPNs are rosewood and bamboo, I don't mind those.

benniesma
09-24-2005, 11:23 AM
I like my metal needles mostly. The weight and feel of them is just right for me. I use bamboo when knitting with DPNs. For me the yarn is less likely to slide off that way. I've never tried plastic, so I couldn't say.

cheesiesmom
09-24-2005, 12:35 PM
I seem to have a problem with metal needles slipping out of my hands (probably an arthritis related problem) and they feel very heavy. I absolutely love Bryspun Flexs. Nice points, not too heavy, comfortable to use. I also really like my bamboo circulars and the points on the denises' are really nice, too, as they seem to pick up all the yarn, even if I'm working with finer weights or multiple strands. No splitting problems. I look for ways to use the denise circs instead of straights.

LisaD715
09-24-2005, 02:32 PM
I usually use metal, I love them, yarn slides easily, and plastic circs. I bought a pair of plastic last year when I was unsure if I could take my needles on the airline and hate them. VERY flimsy. I have wanted to try the acrylic though.

feministmama
09-24-2005, 03:01 PM
I like small bamboo for knitting socks on sock weight yarns to prevent slippage and thicker yarns, maunly acrylics I'll use metal and for natural wool I use bamboo. I don't know why. I'm mostly a bamboo user. I'm such a snob. :rollseyes:

GlenBoRTR
09-24-2005, 03:09 PM
Addi Turbos all the way! :happydance:

gimmesanity
09-24-2005, 07:58 PM
It depends on the yarn for me. Overall, I like bamboo best, but for furry-fun-type yarn, plastics seem to work best for me. I also have the Denise set, and I :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: them mucho much. (That's spanish for a-whole-lotta.)

~Sharon

earthchick
09-24-2005, 08:51 PM
It's so interesting to see what everyone uses and why. I think I need to do more experimenting.

feministmama - I've always been a bamboo snob too! Which is really so ridiculous since I'm such a total novice knitter and have no right to be a snob about any aspect of it. :lol: Still, I've always been under the impression that real knitters used bamboo needles. Not sure where I got that impression. Maybe from the fact that my knitting store only sells bamboo, whereas the big fabric store I go to (which has only cheap acrylic yarn) sells mostly metal. :??

But I am so excited to be able to knit this worsted weight wool so quickly on my new metal needles. :XX:

InterNette
09-24-2005, 10:13 PM
I like bamboo, I tried metal and couldnt maintain control.

rebecca
09-25-2005, 10:29 AM
I have just changed out all of my single points to Susan Bates Quicksilver, they are metal (larger ones are plasitc bc of wt) with a teflon like coating on them. I am in the process of changing out all of my dpns and circs to them and Inox Greys, they have the same coating. I LOVE using them with socks, especially, they glide very, very nicely! I was going to go with all addi's with my circs but have discovered that I love Inox just as much bc the transition from cable to needle is as smooth as addi's and for the $, I'm just as happy with my Inox circs, of course, I do have my 12" addi's that I use for scarves in the round that can't be beaten ;) ! But, I also have Denises, bamboo & several varieties that I have collected the past year, but the Quicksilver & Inox are my faves :D

Ingrid
09-25-2005, 10:37 AM
I think this is why they make so many different kinds of needles. Rebecca likes the coated ones. I don't. I was using two circs on something and one had the coating and one didn't. I found myself rushing through the side with the coated one so I could get to the Addi side. There's nothing wrong with them, and I'll use them since I have them, but as they say, it's all a matter of taste. No right or wrong, whatever your LYS sells.

kitkat
09-25-2005, 12:09 PM
It really depends on the yarn. I used bamboo with LionBrand homespun, and hated it, once I switched to metal was much happier (I tend to knit a bit.....TAUTLY)......but with a really slippery yarn like Divine, I was happier with a bamboo. Go figure!!!!

Just remember, if you buy needles and you hate em, there is always a re-sale market for them. YOu are not married to them!

rebecca
09-25-2005, 01:09 PM
It really depends on the yarn. I used bamboo with LionBrand homespun, and hated it, once I switched to metal was much happier (I tend to knit a bit.....TAUTLY)......but with a really slippery yarn like Divine, I was happier with a bamboo. Go figure!!!!

Just remember, if you buy needles and you hate em, there is always a re-sale market for them. YOu are not married to them!

That's exactly right, that's why I've kept all of my different needles, bc chances are, even tho I prefer the teflon coated, I still have all of the others in case I run across a yarn that I don't like using those on! And, I have a needle habit, too...along with the yarn, the books, the everything knitting...lol!
And, girl, I am a tight knitter, too!! I always have to recalculate patterns, etc bc I don't like the look of my sts after changing the needle sizes!

Oh my, Ingrid, we have 3 LYS and none of them have a decent needle selection! I have to order mine! Can you believe that?! You would think that you could find what you are looking for from 3 and Michaels & Joanns...but, I do so love the internet & getting packages in the mail, so I don't mind ordering them ;)

Silver
09-25-2005, 03:14 PM
I honestly don't dislike any type of needle. I think I like bamboo the best, and metal the least, but I do like them all.

1to1
09-26-2005, 12:38 PM
:heart: Addi Turbos :heart:

I will only buy Addi circulars now. I have a set of Boye Interchangeables but I don't like how they feel or how they come unscrewed. :doh:

earthchick
09-26-2005, 01:02 PM
Are Addi Turbos only circular, or do they also come as straight needles?

1to1
09-26-2005, 01:12 PM
I wasn't for sure but I guess they do come in straight http://www.skacelknitting.com/full_list.html

Do you not like circular? :thinking:

bekahdrmom
09-26-2005, 04:57 PM
I mostly use metal. At first that was just for a lack of options. But now that I've gotten some more experience using them, I love it. I love how fast you can go, and how much you can play with the tightness of your stitches. I once bought Addi Turbos to start a shawl for a friend, but promised DH I'd return them once I got some cheaper plastic needles. And boy, do I regret that! I loved the Addis, and HATE knitting with plastics! They're too light so you can't really get a good momentum, and the yarn doesn't come off as easily as with metals. That said, I definitely got what I paid for with the plastics!

As for circs, I've only ever had my Boye interchangeables. They were okay to work with at first, but once I realized my two pet peeves about them (1. the ridges going from the cord to the needle are too abrupt, so work doesn't slide the way it should; 2. no matter how much I tighten the connection, the needles always start coming loose, making my yarn catch in the groove), I'm determined to get better circs.

GlenBoRTR
09-26-2005, 05:00 PM
Hey Kelly...
I thought that you liked those PLASTIC ones...! :shock:

KellyK
09-26-2005, 07:05 PM
:mad: mumblegrumblemumbleresingrumblemumblegrumble :mad:

GlenBoRTR
09-26-2005, 08:30 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

KellyK
09-26-2005, 08:31 PM
Smarty pants. :|

earthchick
09-27-2005, 04:09 PM
1to1:
Do you not like circular?

I have just never tried them. Can you use them for flat knitting? (i.e., just like straight needles) Do some people use only circular for everything? Educate me!

bekahdrmom
09-28-2005, 10:23 AM
I used circs for flat knitting. It was a shawl. I actually liked that better because you don't have to keep up with 2 needles. (When you have kids, that can be a major feat!) It's really easy and basically the same...knit one row, then turn the needles around so the work is on your left and start the next row.

1to1
09-28-2005, 01:07 PM
earthchick, I only use circular needles. With circulars you don't have to worry about dropping your needle--they're still attached. :cheering:

Last night I was using dpn to make an I-cord and my daughter was laughing :roflhard: at me cause I kept dropping one.

If you have a LYS near you, ask if you can try one out. Let me know what you think.

aprildavis99
09-28-2005, 03:59 PM
I do have my 12" addi's that I use for scarves in the round that can't be beaten ;) !... :D

aprildavis99
09-28-2005, 04:01 PM
I do have my 12" addi's that I use for scarves in the round that can't be beaten ;) !... :D

Oops..hit wrong button last time. Anyway...are the 12" easy to use. The pic looks like the tip is rather long compared to the cord. I would like to try these for my Hogwarts scarf. I am on DPNs right now and it's going ok but I think I could go faster on circs.

earthchick
09-29-2005, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the help everyone! I think I'm going to try some Addi circs and see what I think! :thumbsup:

aprildavis99
09-29-2005, 04:55 PM
I just bought some addi circular needles 12" and 16"
I paid less buying overseas for 2 circs and shipping than I would have paid here in the US. Just under $19.00 US dollars

:happydance: :cheering:

I can't wait. :D

kitkat
09-29-2005, 07:34 PM
Did you buy from Jeff Wonderland?

aprildavis99
09-30-2005, 07:39 AM
No, I got them from www.yarn-shop.co.uk

The have this pattern for a beautiful lacy cardigan. Yummy!

Knitwise
10-01-2005, 12:33 AM
I know this a dumb question to all the novices but well I'm a noob.. Whats Addi?

foothills
10-01-2005, 06:41 AM
Not a dumb question ;) Addi's are the shiny, silver circulars that are a dream to knit with if you aren't using a slippery yarn :lol:

I really like the Denise interchangeables because with most projects, you aren't required to run out and buy the correct size needle because you already are in possession with the Denises...I also like birch needles...I've never used "plastic" needles either KK...Denise's are "resin" :rofling:

Joyce

KellyK
10-01-2005, 07:01 AM
:cheering:

Ingrid
10-01-2005, 09:19 AM
I know this a dumb question to all the novices but well I'm a noob.. Whats Addi?

It's a brand name. They're made in Germany and they're the best of the metal needles. :inlove: