PDA

View Full Version : OT-The EASIEST potty training ever!!!

bekahdrmom
09-29-2005, 03:33 PM
Okay, my older son, Drake (almost 4), has been potty training on and off for what seems like FOREVER (really about a year and a half)! He just could NOT get the hang of it. He'd do good for a few days and that was it. Well a couple weeks ago, I was telling my sister how frustrated I was that he just could not catch on, when she told me, "You know, I've heard that the best way to potty train is to let them go butt naked for the whole weekend." So, having tried EVERYTHING else, I figured, what-the-hey! So that weekend, DS was butt naked, in all his glory, for 2 days straight. And guess what!!!

My son is POTTY TRAINED!!! He hasn't had even ONE accident!

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Ingrid
09-29-2005, 03:38 PM
:cheering: I've heard that, too. If they're ready, leave'm naked and put aside money to have the carpet cleaned, if necessary!!! Just think of all the money that used to go to diapers. I wonder where it can go now? :thinking:

margie
09-29-2005, 03:41 PM
:cheering: :cheering: Way to go, Drake!! :cheering: :cheering:

We did the same method for both our boys. They trained during the summer between ages 3-4. Being the summertime, it was easy to just let them go naked- and it worked!!

bekahdrmom
09-29-2005, 03:48 PM
I was sooo excited! The money factor is awesome too...more yarn :D And I :heart: knowing that I won't have to be changing 3 bottoms!!! We'll be working to get Tanner trained in the couple months before the little beignet arrives. We actually tried Tanner at the same time as Drake, but he peed on the carpet 3 times. So we just figured he wasn't ready yet.

Do you think we should try him again and just clean up after him until he gets it, or wait a little while and then try?

Silver
09-29-2005, 03:51 PM
That's awesome! Way to go Drake!

(I LOVE that name, btw.)

bekahdrmom
09-29-2005, 03:58 PM
Thanks! (He was named after a restaurant...for the name, not the restaurant ;) )

Ingrid
09-29-2005, 04:04 PM
This technique is supposed to be used for kids close to three, if I remember correctly. Some pediatrician was touting it on a talk show. I think the child has to have the muscle control and young ones don't, yet.

bekahdrmom
09-29-2005, 04:11 PM
Oooh, okay. Well then that explains the 3 pee spots :lol:

I guess I'll wait a few more months. He'll be 3 in April, so maybe around February or March he might be ready.

Thanks! :cheering:

Ingrid
09-29-2005, 04:18 PM
Probably at this point you'd be the one getting trained to catch him before he wets. :rofling:

koolbreeze
09-29-2005, 04:21 PM
the neked method only worked with my son. i had all mine trained before 2. i was not changing 2 bottoms! i refused to do it. so they had to be trained. but with my son i just watched him run around nakie and when i saw him *rise* i asked him if he had to go potty and took him anyway even if he said no. girls are a whole different story... they were done by 2 but it was a battle til one day they just caught on! ;) take him every 1/2 hour. have a potty close to you if he is hangin out with you!buy him some big boy draws. and put him in pull ups at night.

:doh: oh God i have to do this AGIAN!!!!!!

Ingrid
09-29-2005, 04:25 PM
:doh: oh God i have to do this AGIAN!!!!!!

:roflhard:

bekahdrmom
09-29-2005, 04:54 PM
Hehe, yeah, I know the feeling! With Drake, when I say I tried everything, I mean literally everything! I think the funniest was the last shot before the naked weekend...I told him I absolutely would NOT change his diaper anymore. I told him if he needed a clean diaper, he would go get it out the closet and change it himself. He was so upset when he couldn't tighten it enough. And I would say to him, "See? Isn't it a lot easier to use the toilet??" Man, I guess that wasn't the nicest thing for me to do to the poor kid :(

aprildavis99
09-29-2005, 05:09 PM
I don't think that's mean at all. I had to put my sons in regular cloth underwear with vinyl pants over. Then let them feel uncomfortable for a while before taking them to the bathroom to clean up. They hated the dirty wet feeling and used the toilet quickly after that. Some kids just have to learn the hard way :rollseyes:

My daughter was so easy to train. But now she is the one giving me a hard time in her teen years. My boys are angels. Go figure :wall:

KellyK
09-29-2005, 10:16 PM
I am just DYIN to know what it is about running around naked that helps the potty training! :??

Ingrid
09-29-2005, 10:27 PM
They see it come out and it makes a puddle. When a kid is wearing a diaper, he's so used to just peeing in it, there's not thought involved and half the time he doesn't realize/care that he's wetting the diaper. When he's naked, he's aware.

Jeremy
09-29-2005, 11:01 PM
I don't know what it is that running aroung "nekid" does but it does work. Both of mine were trained this way (about age two to three). Maybe its just the ease of getting to the toilet on time. :D Anyhow, the older one is married and in medical school so that was awhile ago.

beldaraan
09-30-2005, 02:26 AM
I just tried doing this with my son last week. Thought I'd give it a try because I know that he understands the concept of peeing and that he likes to pretend. I'm not sure if his body is ready yet and I didn't try it for 3 days, so I will wait a bit and try it again.

bekahdrmom
09-30-2005, 10:38 AM
I was trying to figure out why it works so well too. I was thinking maybe it's because they realize, Hey, I don't have anywhere to put my pee...I should probably just go to the toilet I guess. That's all I can figure. Drake didn't even pee on the carpet at all! However it works, I'm so glad it does.

I only wish I'd have known about that method sooner ;)

benniesma
09-30-2005, 10:48 AM
I trained Ben this way. I was so worried about him getting pee all over the carpet. But he caught on right away.

Now I need to work on Olivia. She'll be 3 in Nov. I should just start....I've got dog pee all over my carpet anyways! :rollseyes:

1to1
09-30-2005, 11:25 AM
Yup, that's how I trained my son. He even ran naked outside, find a bush and go. He's 11 now. :thumbsup:

christine
09-30-2005, 11:43 PM
As an "enlightened" parent I was never going to bribe my kids in the PT arena. My first was PTed by the day care provider, I just did the support at home. When it came to the daughter, nothing and I mean nothing would work. So I decided to bribe her.

One MM for pee and a small Halloween sized candy bar for the other. She didn't get anyother candy like treats at this time. And chocolate was a major big deal. Two days and viloa! It only took about a month to wean her off of the rewards.

Christine

feministmama
10-01-2005, 01:14 PM
When he's naked, he's aware.

Hmmmm..maybe we could make a t-shirt out of this and put Shrubs picture on it. :thinking:

koolbreeze
10-01-2005, 01:56 PM
i wqs also told that potty training is next to impossible if the child is carrying a sippy cup or bottle around all the time! that makes sense because if they are constantly putting liqids in they are just going to go like a baby.

~christine~ i can't believed that worked! she must have been older to understand that!

christine
10-02-2005, 01:51 AM
She wasn't that old . . . maybe a few months over two. No much. I think that she discovered a girl's best friend -- chocolate. And figured out quickly how to get more. Chocolate is still one of her most favorite treats and she's seven now.

When you offer a positive reenforcer that they really dig, I think that they get do what you want.

Christine

koolbreeze
10-02-2005, 08:52 AM
i'll i have to keep that in mind when the time comes around to train my last one! :thumbsup:

KnittinKitten
10-02-2005, 10:57 AM
Shoot -- I thought this tread might be about potty training a PUPPY. :oops:

DH and I are thinking very seriously of adopting a Maltese puppy - and I'm trying to find out all of the information I can before I get anywhere near a real, live puppy because I know I won't be able to resist coming home with one after I've held one of these doll-babies in my arms.

While this is even further OT - does anyone have any hints on housebreaking puppies - and maybe Maltese or small doggies, in particular?

Thanks,
:XX:

KellyK
10-02-2005, 11:12 AM
Cover the floor in one entire small room in newspaper. When she goes on the newspaper, take it outside with you...when she then goes outside, THROW A PARTY! GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD PUPPY!!!!!

At the same time, start removing a sheet of newspaper or two each day, thereby reducing the coverage in the room until you have just a couple of sheets left.

This worked for ALL of my dogs within a couple of weeks!

koolbreeze
10-02-2005, 11:12 AM
KnittinKitten~ try this thread!!! good luck! puppy thread (www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3540&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=puppy&start=0)

KnittinKitten
10-02-2005, 11:37 AM
Thanks, Koolbreeze, for directing me to the puppy thread ... didn't occur to me that I should search for one here. :rollseyes: Silly me - I should have known that if it was something I needed -- it would be on this forum some where. This place is amazing! :inlove: Now -- how do I get this response posted on the puppy page!?!

Kelly, your idea of decreasing the size of the paper on the floor makes so much logical sense. I think I've used this "logical" adjective with you before. Were you and your husband both working a full-time jobs when you tried this method? Unfortunately, we will have to leave the wee one all day? :(

I think I've also been convinced to start with the crate route, too. Everyone seems to be in agreement about this - including the breeders' websites.

Now - if I can just convince my Myers parrot, Notobi (who thinks he's an eagle) that a new member of the family is an okay thing ...

:XX:

Ingrid
10-02-2005, 11:39 AM
Beautiful bird!!

KellyK
10-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Were you and your husband both working a full-time jobs when you tried this method? Unfortunately, we will have to leave the wee one all day? :(

Yes, we were...you just have to choose a room with a hard floor that you can close or gate off while you are gone. Im not a big fan of crating, myself...I dont think it teaches them to go on appropriate surfaces...it only takes advantage of the fact that dogs generally wont go where they sleep. Just MHO.

koolbreeze
10-02-2005, 12:14 PM
i would have done the paper method but at the time i was living in an apartment where there wasn't enough room or floor to do it so i did the crate. now might be a different story since we live in a house!

knitqueen
10-02-2005, 03:40 PM
Okay......back to HUMAN potty training...... ;)

Here's my scoop, and I hope to get some advice from all you successful potty training mamas!

(I have potty trained my older child already, and it was EASY, I'm just having trouble with my #2 son....you'd think I'd know what I was doing by now)

He is 2yrs3mos old. He is very keen about the potty, he is very aware of his 'functions' and we have had a bunch of successes (we even had a FULL week of intense potty training with underwear, but back to diapers :( )

Here's the problem. He's a pee holder. Seriously, this child can hold his pee upwards of 7 hours at a time. He dances and prances around, crying, holding himself, obviously VERY uncomfortable but he WILL NOT go on the potty unless he has already started going and I'm able to get him to the potty in time for him to finish there. What do I do with THAT???

Oh, also, to confuse ME even more....the other evening, out of the clear blue sky he says "mommy I go pee!" so off we whisk to the potty and he goes pee straight away. He did this THREE times that evening, and three times the following day, but nothing since. It has been 3 days since then.

I NEEED HELP!!!!!!! :pray:

He is able to hold it, obviously. So I KNOW he has control. Just how do I get him to relax enough to do it on the potty, especially when it's so obviously that he needs to go, without being pushy and forceful about it, because then it FOR SURE won't happen.

Oh, I should also mention that we do bribes, glossette peanuts which he LOVES, he has special games and toys that he only gets to play with when he's on the potty, he is quite willing to sit once in a while for a few minutes here and there, and during our week of intense training, he had ZERO qualms about wearing underwear, so as far as that goes there was no resistence. HE JUST WON'T GO!!!!!!!!!!!! :doh:

Ingrid
10-02-2005, 04:01 PM
First off, if you want to wait for a while that's fine. He is kind of young, in my book.

Secondly, here's an idea he might like--Cheerios. Not to eat, but to aim at in the toilet. Periodically, toss a few in there and ask him if he can hit them.

knitqueen
10-02-2005, 04:07 PM
I would wait a while, because I do agree he is a bit young, but I really feel like there's this window of opportunity that I just don't want to miss. He's keen and for the most part is not resistent.

Ingrid
10-02-2005, 04:15 PM
Then you can try rewards like Carmell said, and the ready-aim-fire at the Cheerios. Underwear is a must, though. If you put him in diapers or pullups around the house, you're sending a mixed message.

beldaraan
10-02-2005, 04:42 PM
I've heard putting bubble solution in the toilet makes for an entertaining "go potty" incentive :D

koolbreeze
10-02-2005, 05:10 PM
that wasn't my idea sorry :( i can't take credit for it. that was christine.

i wouldn't switch back to diapers either. fruit loops is good too because they are colorful. only problem is they might try to get them to eat rather than concentrate on peein.
i would take him every hour till he went then start over in about an hour 30 min. just keep taking him. that way he might just get up and go.
don't let him carry a sippy cup or bottle either.
is your SO around? let him take him. i had to teach my son how to go *like a man* cause there were no men around to do it then he would come in the bathroom while i was in there and aske me why i didn't stand to pee. :shock:

bekahdrmom
10-02-2005, 08:20 PM
I've also heard a lot about flushable targets to put in the toilet when they have to pee. That might make it fun for him. Here (http://www.pottytrainingconcepts.com/Toilet-Targets-Boys-Girls-z.html) are some that might work. This (http://www.familyfun.go.com/parenting/child/skills/feature/dony0200par_faves/dony0200par_faves.html) page has little fish targets that might help too.

As far as the sippy cup, DH has a rule about the boys only drinking from their cups in or near the kitchen. That keeps the bathroom trips down a lot, since they're only going to come to drink when they're actually thirsty, and not just passing time.