PDA

View Full Version : NEEDLE CASE

koolbreeze
09-29-2005, 04:26 PM
*all u sewers* has anyone made a needle case?

Danielle
09-29-2005, 05:28 PM
I have....I made up a pattern and sewed several little pockets for my needles. Sewing is not one of my best crafts ...but the case turned out pretty good...I'll try to post a pic of it tonight. :D

gimmesanity
09-29-2005, 06:12 PM
I have...I made the one from SNB..it's here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=619&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=315).

It's not bad....I modified a little, but the pattern is really easy, and you really only need 1/2 the material that the pattern calls for. I have a whole lotta fabric left over from this project.

~Sharon

VickiIL
09-29-2005, 08:21 PM
I am working on it. I don't use Single point needles at all anymore. So i am working on designing and making a case to hold my dpn and addi turbos. I have a bunch of quilting quarters in my fabric stash so it won't cost me anything. I just need to dig my sewing maching out and do it.

koolbreeze
09-29-2005, 11:02 PM
ok i was jusr wondering because i won like 12 sets of 5 bamboo dpns on ebay and i need to put them somewhere. i also have a lot of cirs that i need a place for cause the basket they are in look junky.. just wondering if anyone has made one. i have a nice fabric stash so i'll have to do some digging!! thanks

Danielle
09-29-2005, 11:21 PM
Here are some pics of my needle case...

koolbreeze
09-30-2005, 12:52 AM
thats cute... ok i need about 12 pockects to fit 8in dpn 5 each! :D just kiddin'! ;)

GMS, that is also cute. i forgot to check out the link. i really like those fabrics.. i don't have anything like that!!! i want something satiny on the inside... :thinking: o... i'm coming to get baby Nia... if she was that cute as a newbie shes got to b gawgous now. she and Krickett can b friends!

dustinac
09-30-2005, 09:02 AM
I have I finally found a use for the boyds material :lol: I layed out my fabric then brought the bottom up to where I thought it should be I used one of my longest needles for reference and I pinned it... Then I brought the top part over my needles and kinda just played with the bottom and top till the top would over lap the bottom.... Then i took my boyds material and bee material with right sides facing just sewed around it leaving enough room to pull the rightside out... clipped my corners and turned it around.. whip stitched the hole I used to turn it... then re pinned my bottom and sewed it down... made pockets for my needles... took 2 strips of my fabric sewed it together.. turned it around... sewed it onto the case added a button... so now when I un-wrap them my tie doesn't fall off... I also like the look of the two contrasting fabrics... I basically only sew pillows LOL so I didn't have trouble with that part but making the lines for the needles was interesting its not very straight but oh well it serves its purpose :lol:

gimmesanity
09-30-2005, 03:47 PM
Carmell....well, you can't have the little monkey, but we'd gladly take little Krickett - even with her too-close eyes... ;0 She's a cutie pie - I could just nibble on those chubby thighs of hers!

Making a case is easy-peasy...mine is pretty basic, tho. While Yellow's is gorgeous (I :heart: the fabric!), I do like having the flap on top to fold over the needles to keep them from slipping out.

~Sharon

InterNette
10-01-2005, 02:40 AM
The needle case pattern was inside the SNB book? Just checking, I really really need one of those.

gimmesanity
10-01-2005, 05:30 AM
Yup, it's on pg 234.

Virtuella
10-01-2005, 01:03 PM
I have made several of them, I have many pockets for dpns and not so many pockets for circulars.

It looks something like this flat on the table..

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/175/Etui05.jpg

and when I roll it togehter:

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/207/CIMG3256.jpg

koolbreeze
10-01-2005, 01:45 PM
wow! its quilted to! so detailed. did you put a border on there too? wow NICE!!!

Virtuella
10-01-2005, 01:48 PM
wow! its quilted to! so detailed. did you put a border on there too? wow NICE!!!

It is quite plain, really, took me a evening or so.
I have a nice link, somewhere... I will find it for you!

koolbreeze
10-01-2005, 01:51 PM
:thumbsup: thanks!

InterNette
10-01-2005, 09:13 PM
I really like these cases. Sure looks like it beats digging in a basket and praying the cats didnt bite into them.

koolbreeze
10-01-2005, 09:55 PM
tell me about it!!! :rollseyes:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b263/koolbreeze76/10-1-05.jpg

kitkat
10-02-2005, 09:09 AM
Here is the one I made

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=21039&highlight=#21039

also a variation of the stitch n bitch one, but wouldnt be hard to figure out on your own.

InterNette
10-02-2005, 09:24 AM
oh my kool , that is bad. Mine are usually put back in their plastic sleeves they came in but thrown in a basket, you need a needlecase too.

Ingrid
10-02-2005, 09:34 AM
For your circs, I highly recommend a Circular Solution. I'm sure you sewers could whip one out in a heartbeat. Just use something heavy so it doesn't sag. It keeps the needles organized and straight. I keep a size measuring thingy on the hanger to put them away easily.

Virtuella
10-02-2005, 10:48 AM
:thumbsup: thanks!

Here it is!!!
http://webdesignsbybarb.com/tostetoes/knittingroll.htm

koolbreeze
10-02-2005, 11:05 AM
well Nette, all of these i got from my grand mother so they didn't come is plastic bags...then my kids keep knocking it over allthe time... so this is what i get!
thanks Virtuella

kitkat
10-02-2005, 11:59 AM
Ouch Kool! Isn't it great how kids and pets "help" us with our projects?

koolbreeze
10-02-2005, 12:16 PM
kitkat~~ yeah *help* is that what u call it!?

Knitwise
10-02-2005, 12:24 PM
I'm still working on my green and beige knitting tote bag with a brown satin lining and trying to make the alien illusion scarf at the same time!

Haven't really planned the needle case yet. Its really slow going without a sewing machine and 2 kittens pouncing all over stuff laid out on the floor. The ones all of you made on this page look amazing. I hope mine turns out that well. :cheering:

VictoiseC
10-02-2005, 04:00 PM
I have tried ! to get myself motivated to make the needle case in S&B for over a year. I just seem to gravitate towards my knitting instead of my NEW sewing machine. I need sewing lessons too.
I'm glad it was noted here that you don't need as much fabric as they say you do in the book. Hm. I really should make one of these.

It's like when I tried to read dustinac's description, the same thing happens when I read the S&B instructions: my eyes glaze over and I just get lost. But I have a feeling it's not that hard.

p.s. WOW! Look at all those needles in Ingrid's picture! Are those all INGRID'S???

VictoiseC
10-02-2005, 04:01 PM
WOW! Look at all those needles in Ingrid's picture! Are those all INGRID'S???

kitkat
10-02-2005, 06:46 PM
I think in order to get that serious Ingrid quality and quantity that she puts out, that she would have to have acquired LOTS of tools of the trade!!!

gimmesanity
10-02-2005, 07:46 PM
Carmell, looking at your basket gave me a small heartattack.

OMG, my cats would be ALL over that basket. Girl, you need a needle case!

Ingrid
10-02-2005, 10:02 PM
p.s. WOW! Look at all those needles in Ingrid's picture! Are those all INGRID'S???

YES!!! They are ALL MINE!! Ahahahahaha!!! I use them, too. Often, when I'm working on a sweater, I'll leave in a needle rather than use a holder. I also, I should say always, have more than one project on needles. Plus I've upgraded to Addis for most sizes and will continue to do so. I just don't get rid of the old ones because you just never know. Mind you, I've had a few of those needles for decades. Plus I have most lengths for most sizes, so that adds up, too. I can honestly say that all have, at one time or another, been used.

koolbreeze
10-02-2005, 11:53 PM
Carmell, looking at your basket gave me a small heartattack.

OMG, my cats would be ALL over that basket. Girl, you need a needle case!

:roflhard: i almost choked on my chicken nugget!

VictoiseC
10-04-2005, 01:49 PM
You lucky thing Ingrid! How neat to own all those needles! I have a bunch in a blue vase like flowers, about 1/10th of your amount. I just decided to try Addis for the first time. My Boyes, from the set, are bothering me when they require too much pushing over the bump.....

needles needles and more needles

silveridger
10-04-2005, 02:14 PM
Here goes, my first post! I made up a needle case out for circular needles out of an old pair of jeans. Using the two back quarters (the two pieces with back pockets) sewed together right side out, it's a lot like the Circular Solution mentioned by Ingrid. DPN's and a needle sizer hang out in the pockets. You can view a photo here:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/herbgal/Denimneedleholder.jpg

Since the photo I found some small beads (aka baby bracelet beads) with numbers to identify the needle sizes on each pocket.

VickiIL
10-04-2005, 02:25 PM
How fun! I love your jeans circ holder!

Ingrid
10-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Now THAT is a nifty idea!!!

koolbreeze
10-04-2005, 06:26 PM
i found a pattern to make one out of jeans... i never really liked demin stuff but i thought it was a cool idea and cheap.

hey Ingrid~ do you hang your circular holder or can it roll up or something?

Ingrid
10-04-2005, 06:31 PM
I keep it on a hanger. I think rolling it would just get the needles all tangled again.

koolbreeze
10-04-2005, 06:38 PM
ok so where do you hang it? :thinking:

Ingrid
10-04-2005, 06:44 PM
:oops: I have it hanging out in the open on a hook in my bedroom. Not particularly attractive, but always handy. It would go easily in the closet, but I'm a big fan of convenient.

koolbreeze
10-04-2005, 08:34 PM
me too!! :happydance:

silveridger
10-06-2005, 04:00 PM
ok so where do you hang it? :thinking:

I have a shaker-style peg rack in my "knitting" room, it hangs on one of the pegs along with some of the recent FOs and the drying herbs from the garden.

earthchick
10-07-2005, 08:21 AM
silveridger - love the jeans circ holder! :heart: Did you come up with the pattern on your own, or did you find it somewhere? I have plenty of old jeans I could use for something like that, plus I'm just getting into circular needles, plus I'm currently re-learning to sew, so I'd love to try something like that (unless you think it's too advanced for a new sewer). Can you point me in the right direction for a pattern?

foldedbird
10-07-2005, 11:47 AM
Coool cases!

silveridger
10-08-2005, 10:20 PM
silveridger - love the jeans circ holder! :heart: Did you come up with the pattern on your own, or did you find it somewhere? I have plenty of old jeans I could use for something like that, plus I'm just getting into circular needles, plus I'm currently re-learning to sew, so I'd love to try something like that (unless you think it's too advanced for a new sewer). Can you point me in the right direction for a pattern?

I really don't remember exactly, but it's a combination of the circular solution and something someone posted on another list, I think. Take a pair of jeans you're willing to cut up. Cut out both "backs" removing the thick side seams and crotch/back center seams. Iron a small "hem" on the side seams for both pieces and either stitch flat or use fusible webbing (I fused mine to keep the thickness to a minimum.) Place the 2 backs together, wrong sides together. Sew across the top in a place where it's not too thick, and again down far enough to insert the dowel or hanger of your choice. Starting below the pocket, sew horizontal rows every 1.5 inches (or whatever works on the size of jeans you have). Plan on some kind of bead, button, paint pen, stamp, or something to indicate the sizes. I keep my DPNs in the pockets along with a needle gauge. Pretty easy! Insert a bit of scrap lace in the pocket if you want to.

earthchick
10-08-2005, 10:28 PM
Thanks! :thumbsup: I'll file that away for future reference, once I feel a little more up-to-speed on my sewing. :happydance: