PDA

View Full Version : Hugeified needles!

kemp
10-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Anyone ever work with US 35 needles? Yikes! I knew a pattern I had been waiting to knit called for them, so I bought them when Hobby Lobby had their 1/2 off sale. I thought I'd finally get a gauge swatch going today (yes, I am actually doing one! I figure in a garment where there is ~1 spi, that being 1 or 2 off might actually matter!) and I am seeing a couple of issues. First the gauge called for is 5st and 8 rows for 4"...I am getting 6.5-7spi on the 35's...so I need BIGGER needles???!!! Also, the yarn is slightly thick/thin so is is a little tough to get a "perfect" read on the gauge and despite slipping the end stitches, the sides are looking a bit messy to me. AND, the pattern calls for regular 35's and 35 DPN's...but now after reading the pattern, it could really all be done in the round (which I prefer anyway).

Soooooooooo....anyone know of a good source for size 36-40 circulars that won't cost me many many $$$$$?

koolbreeze
10-05-2005, 04:28 PM
hey kemp~ is that you word of the day? hugeified? :D

MaryS
10-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Hi Kemp,

Looks like knitting with broomhandles!! :roflhard: :roflhard:

Do you know what the mm is for the size 35? Maybe you could get dowels big enough and make DPNs. (I think my hands would cramp with a needle this big.)

Mary

kemp
10-05-2005, 04:36 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: That is my word of the YEAR! For some reason, I just LOVE it :roflhard: :roflhard:

I thought of the dowel thing, but then how would I ever get the point? I don't have a lathe and my whittling skills are non-existant.

I think the 19mm/US35 may work after all though...I stretched the fabric as if to block and got gauge. Plus is seems very stretchy overall, so I think if I make the small size, I'll be ok. And...if I can find #35 circs, I can try it on after a couple of rows.

rebecca
10-05-2005, 04:40 PM
What's the pattern Kemp? I've never used size 35 needles! 15 is as big as I've used...I bet that is awkward!! :shock:

kemp
10-05-2005, 05:03 PM
They ARE pretty awkward! HERE (http://www.rebecca-online.de/cont_en/heft_archiv/heft_20/seite_03.php) is the pattern...chunky green sweater. There is also a similar orange on in the same magazine that has the same gauge, but it wasn't pictured on the website. The green one is ribbed and the other is stockinette. Now I just have to find those circulars!

Danielle
10-05-2005, 05:07 PM
Hi Kemp! :waving:

I was just wondering what kind of yarn you are using...It is beautiful!
Thanks!

Virtuella
Reminds me of knitting with

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6499/kosteprisen5ov.jpg

amy
:thinking: If you can find out how thick the needle is, in diameter, maybe you can get a dowel, or, indeed, a broomstick! to fit your needs! :rofling:

....edit: I see MaryS said the same thing! LOL. great minds think alike! ;)

kemp
10-05-2005, 05:11 PM
Hi Kemp! :waving:

I was just wondering what kind of yarn you are using...It is beautiful!
Thanks! Oooohhh, I love it too, but you are so going to hate my answer! It is bulk quantity wool that a purchased when I was at a yarn store in Florence, Italy. I have't seen anything similar colorwise

Joel
10-05-2005, 05:12 PM
Actually, if you go check out Michaels or Hobby Lobby or even your LYS... they should have a set of needles as high as 50 for under $15. I've seen several places around here that carry that size for like $12 or so.

The patterns that I typically have seen that "require" that size are all blankets. I'm kind of interested in trying out the 35+ size sometime to see what happens.

kemp
10-05-2005, 05:14 PM
Right Joel...I have seen ones that big, but I'm just not sure if I've seen circulars that big. I have found them online now, so I may just have to order them. No instant gratification :(

Ingrid
10-05-2005, 05:57 PM
I have a pair of big fat needles--I don't remember the size off hand--they're about an inch in diameter. I've used them to make a baby blanket, with four strands of yarn at once. Kind of a big block pattern. Took an evening! Knitting with them is like using the big kindergarten crayons!

daydreamer
10-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Agreed. Those big needles are harder to work with!

BinkyKat
10-05-2005, 09:32 PM
;) I have a set of size 50's. I have knit a lot of scarves with 35's. Actually what I started on when I discovered knitting again 18 months ago!
I have see fat circs, but not necessarily cheep ones. Happy Hugeiferous Hunting! :roflhard:

Julie
10-06-2005, 12:38 AM
Kind of cool...these are for sale on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/US-35-Aromatic-Red-Circular-Knitting-Needles_W0QQitemZ8222589970QQcategoryZ71216QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem), and you can choose the length.

kemp
10-06-2005, 08:23 AM
VERY cool! Thanks for the link!