PDA

View Full Version : Yarn ?

susies1955
10-11-2005, 01:46 PM
I know nothing about yarn. I don't know as I can just buy project to project when I start seeing sales. :) Joann's is having a big yarn sale starting Sunday.
I have no clue what is good and what isn't. What would you buy for yarn at there sale. Here is there ad paper on line:
http://tinyurl.com/bkv2u
Thanks,
Susie

KellyK
10-11-2005, 01:49 PM
Have you made a project wish list yet? Start there.....look through one of the free pattern sites (www.knittingpatterncentral.com ?) and fall in love with some patterns, then you'll have an idea of what you need when you go to Joanns. Either that, or just go fondle yarn and fall in love and think things like "this would make a LUCIOUS scarf/hat/sweater/pillow/coaster/felted alpaca" and BUY YARN. :thumbsup:

brendajos
10-11-2005, 01:51 PM
don't forget hobby lobby too if you have one near you. they have various yarns on sale all the time and this week they have another 40% off coupon on their website!

Ingrid
10-11-2005, 01:51 PM
I would go with the LionBrand yarns--but NOT the Homespun (beautiful colors, yucky yarn). I would avoid the Red Heart Super Saver stuff and I don't have too much experience with TLC. As for the novelty yarns--if you want to make something with them, you'd might as well get them on sale.

susies1955
10-11-2005, 01:58 PM
Wow, you gals are fast. I've never ever in my life been a part of a group, list or forum that helps so much and so fast.
Ok, first of all I have never even seen a Hobby Lobby so that's out. I am a feeling touchy sort of buyer so I 'think' I would want to buy in person.
Getting a project wish list going is a great idea.
When you gals just buy cause you LOVE it how many do you get?????? One, Two, Three or the whole pile??????? LOL.
Thanks,
Susie

Ingrid
10-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Personally, I buy about 1000.

Seriously, I tend to have an idea of how much yarn I need if I have a project in mind. I always overestimate to be safe. I'll buy 1500-2000 yards for a sweater, depending on the size and the yarn.

While you're there, grab a book off the rack and just get an estimate of how much yardage you need for different types of things--scarves, hats, afghans--whatever you think you'll be knitting in the future. Or use one of the books you just got.

The thing with buying something as readily available as Woolease, is that if you run out, it's not a problem getting more.

jodstr2
10-11-2005, 02:06 PM
depends on what you're making. *very rough* guidelines - this will leave you with a bit of leftover yarn:
for scarves I was told to buy 100-125 yds
for hats - 90 yds for a child and 150 yds for an adult
other things - bags, socks, etc. - it depends on the pattern.

bubba
10-11-2005, 02:20 PM
The yarn I always buy for scarves is Paton's Allure.....it is so soft, cuddly, and warm and this year they have brought out a bunch of new colors. It was on sale at Michaels for $3.39, don't know if it still is though. When I make a scarf w/it, I buy two skeins....and I always have a supply of it on hand. Sometimes I will mix another decorative yarn with it to jazz it up a bit.

pat.

susies1955
10-11-2005, 02:21 PM
Ingrid and Jodi,
Thanks, I'm taking notes. :)
Great idea to grab a book there too.
I promised myself I wouldn't obsess with this hobby like the others. OH MY. :pray:
Susie

susies1955
10-11-2005, 02:24 PM
Pat,
I'm over an hour away from a Michaels.
I noticed in the Joann's ad there is Paton's Pebbles. I wonder if that is good? I can't wait to go feel it all. :)
Thanks,
Susie

KnittinKitten
10-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Susie -- It's just so much fun to watch your addiction grow! It's like looking into a mirror. I love all of your questions and comments and your work is so well done. You're deep into now, sister!

:XX:

susies1955
10-11-2005, 03:16 PM
KnittinKitten,
Nah, does it really show? Are you serious?????? :roflhard:
How many addictions are wives allowed??????
I just got into quilting two years ago and went nuts with a new machine, fabric and tons of notions, I'm going to be getting an embroidery machine for Christmas and I've been buying for that and now this?????? OH NO.
Hopefully we will make it to our 32nd anniversary this month. HEHEHEHE. Oh and I'll be 50 ONE week from tomorrow. Gotta love it.
Thanks,
Susie

rebecca
10-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Susie, this (http://www.knitpicks.com/books/books_display.aspx?itemid=30031) is a great book; it has different projects & the approx amt of yarn needed for various projects using different wts of yarn. You can browse thru some pages @ the link given..I :heart: this book!

susies1955
10-11-2005, 03:25 PM
Rebecca,
Oh no........not another book. LOL. It looks like a winner. I will consider it.
Thanks,
Susie

KellyK
10-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Now Rebecca should say "Thanks for liking my book".

(Luv ya, Susie!!) ;)

Julie
10-11-2005, 05:44 PM
There's a great little laminated leaflet that has yardage requirements for all sorts of projects -- sweaters, hates, scarves, etc -- I got it at my LYS for $5, I think. Very helpful. :thumbsup:

The Knitter's Handy Guide to Yarn Requirements (http://www.yarnia.com/knhagutoyare.html) (same publisher as the sweater book)

susies1955
10-11-2005, 05:51 PM
Now Rebecca should say "Thanks for liking my book".
(Luv ya, Susie!!) ;)

Luv ya too Kelly!!!!
Susie

susies1955
10-11-2005, 05:52 PM
Julie,
Thanks for letting me know about the leaflet. I bet my local yarn shop has it.
:)
Susie

VictoiseC
10-13-2005, 06:29 PM
Hi Susie! I was just browsing ebay looking at yarns and thought of your question.... Since getting back to knitting last year I have acquired the biggest stash you can imagine (well I know there are some here who would beat me). I lug two enormous plastic bags of different yarns back and forth to my country place like a crazed idiot. Anyhoo, you'll find yarns you really love and can't wait to work with.

Some of my favorites are: Noro Kureyon, Donegal Tweed (really juicy stuff for thick beautiful socks) well mohair is nice sometimes and I just bought my first pure alpaca. I adore hand spun yarns and and natural RGS (really good sheep) yarns, some of which I got at my first wool festival last year (and will again this Saturday).
(Rhinebeck, NY) But when I started out I bought some acrylic at Michael's. A year later I was like what? did I buy this for! But then I decided to just use it for an afghan (my first) just to use it up, and then it was looking really good so I started putting in bands of wool to have a nice mixture afghan.

I wouldn't want to make a sweater out of acrylic however, too much work to use acrylic for me. You can get some great deals on ebay btw. I have got fantastic deals! Esp from farms that spin their own wool... One sneaky thing I do, or maybe not sneaky if you don't have lots of $$$ is to check out yarns I really like at a yarn store, then go check ebay on the same yarn, or other sites online. Of course I also buy from my lys also! (esp the big sale baskets)

Anyhoo, just a few 2 centses. I wish I could quilt btw. One of these days.... cheers,

susies1955
10-13-2005, 06:40 PM
Victoise,
I so want to grow up to be just like you. LOL. I do kind of get out of control when I get into a hobby. I SO didn't want to do that with knitting. I have five books already. I have no yarn except that a sweet heart from CA sent me some. I thought that was so nice.
I hope to get to my sisters new Alpaca Store. She just opened last weekend.
Thanks for the tips and hints.
Just one question. What did you mean that Acrylic was too much work?
Susie

VictoiseC
10-14-2005, 11:47 AM
Hi Susie! want to grow up to be just like me!!!! ha

Knitting is the best obsession I've had in years! I can't get enough of it, even when my wrist is hurting. By too much work (with acrylic) I meant that if you're going to sit there and put all those hours in, say for a sweater or afghan, you might as well have a beautiful wool product that feels good on the skin when you're finished. I know some people use acrylic but most crazed knitters prefer good wool or alpaca or cashmere (if you can afford it). I've also heard some knitters say they love to knit up afghans that their kids are going to beat up, they can throw them in the washer etc. But there's nothing like good wool as you'll soon find out!

It's like wearing polyester or not, which do you prefer?

Funny though, the dirt cheap acylic I bought at Michaels is actually looking quite good in my afghan, although I did as I said insert some stripes of beautiful natural white wool. I think I'll enjoy this afghan if I ever finish it. Oh, it's probably also good to practice on in the beginning....

Wow, your sister opened an alpaca yarn store? Where? I just met a lady who has alpacas and I bought one skein. It's gorgeous stuff.
Lucky you! Too bad you can't make it to Rhinebeck, NY tomorrow or Sunday for the big Wool & Sheep Festival. Thousands of knitters, millions of yarns to look at. It's out of this world.

all for now!

VictoiseC
10-14-2005, 11:49 AM
P.S. I just looked at your pictures, where you live. Now that's NORTHERN new york!

susies1955
10-14-2005, 12:44 PM
Victoise,
Yes, we are WAY UP NORTH. :)
I've been pretty good with this new hobby except for books. I bough five. I've only bought 2 scans of yarn. One was 65% alpaca with 35% acrylic and the other was 75% acrylic with 25% wool and yes there is a big difference. I've only bought three sets of needles. I'm doing good eh?
My 2 week anniversary is tomorrow.
Yes, my sister just opened a yarn store. She has her own alpaca farm. She has had it over a year and I've never been there. It is certainly time.
She is in West Potsdam, NY.
Thanks for all the tips,
Susie

AidanM
10-14-2005, 01:19 PM
Never, ever underestimate acrylic yarns. They get softer and softer all the time! I like Red Heart SuperSaver simply because it's washable and comes in a huge variety of colours. Red Heart also makes baby yarn that's delish, and even softer. SuperSaver yarn may not feel terribly great, but it does get softer as it's washed and used.

susies1955
10-14-2005, 02:03 PM
Aidan,
I think I may have seen some of that baby yarn you are writing about and it is nice.
I was wondering..............you don't have to make baby things ONLY with it right?????
Susie

Ingrid
10-14-2005, 02:32 PM
Yes. It's the law. If you knit anything with baby yarn that's not specifically to be used by a baby, it is confiscated and you have to pay a large fine. :---

susies1955
10-14-2005, 02:39 PM
Ingrid,
Well, I guess I'm not going to be able to buy yarn because of the fine for quite some time because it was calling my name for something for me. :)
You silly dilly,
Sus