PDA

View Full Version : What knitting book do I read first????????

susies1955
10-11-2005, 01:54 PM
I just got my order of knitting books from www.overstock.com
Yeha!
Which would you suggest I start with as I don't have a clue?

*The Complete Idiot's Guide To Knitting & Crocheting by Barbara Breiter and Gail Diven

*The Knitters Book Of Finishing Techniques by Nancie M. Wiseman

*The Knitters Companion by Vicki Square

*The Knitting Experience ,The Knit Stitch Book One by Sally Melville

*Stitch & Bitch, The Knitter's Handbook by Debbie Stoller
Thanks,
Susie

Ingrid
10-11-2005, 01:58 PM
The only one of those I have is the one on Finishing Techniques--I use it religiously, but I don't think it will help too much to learn the basics. When you want to know how to do something specific, though, it has excellent directions and pictures.

susies1955
10-11-2005, 02:01 PM
Ingrid,
Ok, thanks.
I'll do some glancing through them all later on tonight and maybe I can figure it out. I need the basics of course first.
Thanks,
Susie

jodstr2
10-11-2005, 02:03 PM
that Stitch n Bitch book you got was super helpful to me when just starting.

susies1955
10-11-2005, 02:13 PM
Jodi,
That is the one I was just peaking at. This is so fun. I'm sure it has going to be a big help to have these books and to have the videos from that Amy offers to let us watch. :)
Thanks,
Susie

humblestumble
10-11-2005, 02:26 PM
I second Stitch 'n Bitch. Its awesome for learning. And getting ahead

susies1955
10-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Angela,
Thanks, I think that is the one I'm thinking about reading through first.
Appreciate you gals,
Susie

rebecca
10-11-2005, 03:32 PM
From your selection the only one that I have is the SNB and it is great! It is my understanding that Sally Melville's book is very, very good; as is the Vicky Square book...and, if the Idiot's Guide to Knitting & Crocheting is 1/2 as good as the Dummies Book for KNitting you are set! And all of Nancie Wiseman's books are great. You have quite a library beginning :D Good for you! I love all of my books, use them all of the time...well, look at them all of the time, anyway ;)

susies1955
10-11-2005, 03:33 PM
Rebecca,
Thanks for assuring me that I did a good job picking out my books.
I think I will go do a little knitting before hubby comes home,
Appreciated,
Susie :happydance:

Jeremy
10-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Sally Melville's book is pretty good but it doesn't teach you how to purl-thats a whole other book. Purling is not all that complicated. The other problem with that book is that some of the projects are enormous and really taxed my patience. I'd probably go with the stitch and bitch and then try some of the projects in Melville's book. The Einstein sweater is in there and is really well known and liked although I have not tried it. Good Luck. :thumbsup:

susies1955
10-11-2005, 05:48 PM
Jeremy,
Thanks for taking the time to recommend what you think is best. I think by looking at them all and what some of you have said I will start with the Stitch & Bitch Book and keep the Knitter's Companion book in my knitting bag.
Thanks,
Susie

Ladybug
10-12-2005, 10:49 AM
I am reading Stitch N Bitch now and I :heart: it!! :)

susies1955
10-12-2005, 10:56 AM
Lesley,
Just got downstairs from "Susie's Sewing Sanctuary" :roflhard: and noticed I had emal that there was a post.
So glad you let me know how you are loving The Stitch & B*itch book. :)
Back to my quilting.
Susie

franna724
10-12-2005, 01:36 PM
I love the Idiot's Guide. I used it when the other resources I was looking at had crappy pictures and made no sense.

Anna

susies1955
10-12-2005, 01:50 PM
Anna,
Thanks for letting me know which you liked. Did you have the one with knitting and crocheting???? I don't know why I got that one but you never know I may get into that.
Susie

JLC
10-12-2005, 03:33 PM
Stitch N Bitch!!!! That was the one I learned the most from. I also have the Book of Finishing Techniques, but I haven't really gotten into that one too much. I also find that in my "Family Circle Easy Knitting" magazine, there is a section in the back that illustrates basic knitting and I think the pictures are really good. If you're in a bookstore, try paging through one and see what you think. The patterns are usually pretty good too!

susies1955
10-12-2005, 03:35 PM
JLC,
Thanks for letting me know what you think about Stitch & B*tch.
I had never thought about a magazine so the one you suggested is a good place to start.
Thanks,
Susie

dustinac
10-12-2005, 04:26 PM
I only have the snb helped me out alot and I keep it my knitting tote so if I get stuck I have it with me...

:rollseyes: kinda funny but I didn't want my son asking me what the b word was so I taped an E after it so my book looks like Stitch and Bite :roflhard:

susies1955
10-12-2005, 04:27 PM
dustinac,
Oh my goodness. You are so funny. Stitch and Bite..........lol.......love it.
Thanks for letting me know which book you like,
Susie

Ladybug
10-12-2005, 06:58 PM
I only have the snb helped me out alot and I keep it my knitting tote so if I get stuck I have it with me...

:rollseyes: kinda funny but I didn't want my son asking me what the b word was so I taped an E after it so my book looks like Stitch and Bite :roflhard:

that's a great idea!!

Ellen Edwards
10-13-2005, 12:02 AM
Hi Susie, and everyone!! I love the way you put age 49 in your signature!! Honey--I'm almost 56, and 49 sure does seem young to me right now!! ;) Anyway, I love books as much as I do knitting, and I have had a book called The Readers Digest Big Book of Needlework for many years. It has all the needle arts in it, and a very good knitting section in it, too.

But, I love Overstock.com and Amazon.com, and after going to my local library to look at their knitting books, I decided to order : The Knitters Handy Book of Patterns by Ann Budd, The Encyclopedia of Knitting, by(?), Christmas Stockings by-Interweave Press, Knitting in Plain English by Righetti, The Big Book of Knitting, by(?), Knitting Tips and Trade Secrets, and last but not least, Knitting without Tears, by Zimmerman (I think!!) . I didn't order them all at one time, but when shipping was free or I had a gift certificate, I ordered them.

Yes...I do love me some knitting books! But I do love the Knitters Handy Book of Patterns because it gives you sort of formulas for socks,sweaters,vests, mittens for any guage and any yarn, so that you can be really versatile and use what you might have. Not everyone has every size needle, especially starting out, so it really appeals to me that way too. It is a hard backed and is spiral bound and has a handy pocket in the back in which to store something and an elstic band to hold your page in place!! But I love just hauling them all out on a rainy day or an evening when dh is watching a ballgame and reading them, which is probably why I never seem to get as much knitting done as I think I should!! :XX:

KnitPicks also has some knitting books on sale I think...wannna race??

susies1955
10-13-2005, 03:33 AM
Hi Ellen,
LOL, I don't put my age there because I think it is OLD, I put it there because I'm "proud" of it. I will be "50" on Wednesday and looking forward to it. :)
Ive heard people mention Knitting Without Tears and The Knitters Handy Book of Patterns several times. I have them on my wish list along with Vogue Knitting and maybe Knitter's Handbook but not sure I need that one along with the other goodies I already have. I'm a book freak.
Like I said before I have over 19 books on bread and the same with quilting, Atkins, Machine Embroidery and Christian books as I was into that heavy at one time.
Thanks for writing in and letting me know what you like,
Susie

Ellen Edwards
10-13-2005, 03:42 AM
No problem--just gave me another excuse to look through what I had and think about 'em again!! I'll be 56 on Nov.3--so we both have fall birthdays, huh!!

Happy Birthday early, then!!! :thumbsup:

Knit (and read!!) on! :happydance:

susies1955
10-13-2005, 03:47 AM
Jean,
Ah, so I did "YOU" a favor eh?????? So what book you going to get back out and read or are you into reading something now?????? LOL.
Well now...........Happy 56th Birthday to you. :)
Susie

Ellen Edwards
10-13-2005, 07:29 PM
Lol--thanks!! Yep--I love a chance to look through those books, and think about what I'll put on the needes next....or maybe just READ and NOT knit!!

Oh well, it's all good!! :XX:

Thanks for the birthday hello---it'll be just like another day as far as I'm concerned...the 60th will be a big one tho, won't it?? (If we make it there!)

Happy knitting! :XX: :happydance:

Trudy

AidanM
10-13-2005, 08:18 PM
I think that Knitting Without Tears by Elizabeth Zimmerman is possibly the best knitting book I've read yet. Not only are the basics explained with handy diagrams, there are lots of little tricks you pick up as you read along. Not too long ago, somebody was wondering what to do about some stitches that were too loose and I said that EZ suggests knitting into the back to tighten them up. It's really helped me in my understanding of knit garments and knitting overall!

jodstr2
10-13-2005, 08:25 PM
Knitting in Plain English by Righetti

that is my other favorite how-to. her writing is also very funny - she can be a little caustic and opinionated, but I love it. :thumbsup:

susies1955
10-13-2005, 08:44 PM
I think that Knitting Without Tears by Elizabeth Zimmerman is possibly the best knitting book I've read yet.

Aidan,
Thanks for the recommendation. I've heard several mention this book.
:)
Susie