PDA

View Full Version : OT: I'm going to DC in 5 days!

liznwillow
10-14-2005, 12:30 PM
I am SUUUPER excited because I (and my DBF and DD) are going to Washington, DC! It will be my first time there. DBF lived there for 5 years or so in the 80's and his sister lives there now. I don't know if I mentioned it before, but DBF is a professional artist. (you can google his name if ya want: Ray Valdez) GWU is exhibiting his artwork during their multicultural month and they've asked him to speak at the opening reception. So, we're travelling the 3000 miles on a red-eye on Wednesday night. I am SO excited to go to some yarn stores with my SIL.. she learned to knit at the same time I did and we LOVE yarn shopping together. She will be taking me to her favorite spots. We will be staying through the 23rd... so, it's a quicky.

I just wanted to let you guys know! I'll take pictures and post them upon my return (and pictures of the yarn I buy, of course).

brendajos
10-14-2005, 12:39 PM
color me jealous! I am one of those freaks that actually LOVES politics and think that i would never be able to leave washington if i put my feet down there. can't wait to see your pics!

KellyK
10-14-2005, 01:04 PM
I dont know about yarn stores in our nation's capital, but you HAVE to take Willow to their Zoo....its BEAUTIFUL!

Have a WONDERFUL time, and CONGRATS to DBF!

liznwillow
10-14-2005, 01:45 PM
Ohhhh.... KellyK, I really hope we have time for their zoo. I've heard such good things about it!

MaryS
10-14-2005, 03:03 PM
Liz,

Have a great time! :happydance:

I took each of my kids (I have three) to Washington for a four day "just Mom and Me" get away for their tenth birthdays. Each visit was a little different, and a little the same, but those are wonderful memories of special times when they were small.

And the Zoo IS wonderful!! :cheering:

Mary

Ingrid
10-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Ooh! You could see the pandas!! :heart:

KellyK
10-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Their Zoo was designed by the same guy who designed Central Park in New York, AND the town of North Riverside right here by me! Frederick Law Olmstead....LOTS of WINNNNDING paths.....greenery.....it TRULY is BEAUTIFUL.

liznwillow
10-14-2005, 03:46 PM
Ingrid, my SIL bought Willow a pair of panda socks from the zoo to commemorate their arrival ( :thinking: I think it was when they first arrived... either that or one of them had a baby...). I would really love to see them!

Ingrid
10-14-2005, 03:56 PM
Have you watched the panda cam (http://animal.discovery.com/cams/pandavidr.html?source=www_wh_5) ?

liznwillow
10-14-2005, 04:02 PM
I just did! VERY cool!!

dustinac
10-14-2005, 08:19 PM
Very nice!! I hope you all have a wonderful time

I wanna go.. JD (my dh) went when I was pregnant with Roo so I couldn't go :crying: I did get a tshirt though :rollseyes:

SoapDoc
10-14-2005, 09:07 PM
I don't know if I mentioned it before, but DBF is a professional artist.

Hope you have a great time on the trip! I hear there are some great yarn stores in that area!!! Bet you'll have a blast!!

And OMG is your DBF talented!!!!! Such AMAZING work he does, Liz!!! Simply gorgeous!!!! Maybe one day I will be able to afford a piece of his work, I would love to display one among my other pieces!!!

Thanks for sharing :) And have a great trip :D

liznwillow
10-15-2005, 12:31 PM
I don't know if I mentioned it before, but DBF is a professional artist.

Hope you have a great time on the trip! I hear there are some great yarn stores in that area!!! Bet you'll have a blast!!

And OMG is your DBF talented!!!!! Such AMAZING work he does, Liz!!! Simply gorgeous!!!! Maybe one day I will be able to afford a piece of his work, I would love to display one among my other pieces!!!

Thanks for sharing :) And have a great trip :D

I'm glad you liked his work!! I am very proud of him... not only does he do amazing artwork, he's also very active with the youth in our community. Thanks for looking him up!