PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here and to knitting...

Totalele
10-16-2005, 04:47 PM
Hi guys! I'm Alexandra, mom to 21 mo. Brandon. I live in Florida, but I'm originally from Brazil, so please forgive my english, ok?

A friend recommended this site for the videos and I fell in love with everything here! What a cool place to hang!! Huge knitting forums still scare me a bit, but this one feels rather warm... :heart:

When I was very little, my grandma taugh me how to knit and crochet. However, for years I could only do 1 stitch... :rollseyes: So I let it go.

A few weeks ago, after a few friends started to learn, I got excited and decided to re-learn it too. That's when I found this place...

I'm still to finish my first piece. It was an Irish scarf, but I had made a cable needle myself (couldn't find it localy) and it was hard because I had to sand it every few turns, kwim?

So I let this aside for a while and started (last night) on a new project. A "Zeeby's Bag" from the S n' B book. It was the only project that fit the material available... ;)

Anyway...sorry for the long post! I post as I talk...waaayy too much! :lol:

Beware I'm really a newbie and will be bothering with 100001 questions... :oops:

Hope to see you all soon,

Alexandra. :)

PS: You can sorta see my knitting "situation" on my blog:
http://knittinglegacy.blogspot.com/

Ingrid
10-16-2005, 04:49 PM
Welcome to the Forum. It is a warm place to be and all questions are welcome!

Totalele
10-16-2005, 05:06 PM
Thank Ingrid! :heart:

KellyK
10-16-2005, 05:09 PM
Welcome!! :waving:

Aello
10-16-2005, 06:03 PM
Welcome to the Forum. Everyone here is so very helpful.

Totalele
10-16-2005, 06:27 PM
You guys are the sweetest! :D

I'm just going nutes browsing this forum..hehe

liznwillow
10-16-2005, 07:45 PM
welcome! That cable job you did is wonderful! Great job for using a homemade needle!! I haven't even attempted cabling yet, so *good job*! :thumbsup:

dustinac
10-17-2005, 12:00 PM
:cheering: Welcome to the forum!!

InterNette
10-17-2005, 03:51 PM
Hello, i am in florida also. When it cools down and bit and my companion is doing better healthwise I think I am going to have to invite everyone over for a bbq pool knitting party. Welcome.

kome
10-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Welcome to Rainy Florida! :rollseyes: Whoever told you it was sunny... LIED. Just 'cause I KNOW someone's told you... right? :P

So where in Florida are you at?

Hello, i am in florida also. When it cools down and bit and my companion is doing better healthwise I think I am going to have to invite everyone over for a bbq pool knitting party. Welcome.

:inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

That is the coolest thing I've ever heard of! You must make everyone knit their own bathing suits! Hehehe.

Totalele
10-17-2005, 08:13 PM
Hi guys!! I'm loving this forum more and more by the minute!! :heart:

So many Floridians! I'm in North Miami Beach. :cheering: I've been living here for almost 11 years, so yeah... I know that *too-hot for comfort* weather well... :shock :lol

Sounds like a plan! :inlove: :inlove:

knitncook
10-17-2005, 09:30 PM
Hey Alexandra! Wow, doing a cabled scarf for a first project. What ambition!! I've seen cable needles at Walmart (ick-patooie) before, so try there. You can always just use a dpn or a chopstick even since mostly you are only having to hold stitches for just a little while. I've even used a circular needle in a pinch.

I'm new here too. Sure are a lot of Floridians. Hope you are keeping your eye on Wilma if you are near the Gulf!

margie
10-17-2005, 09:39 PM
Welcome, Alexandra!! This is one of the warmest places you'll find- and no matter how many questions you have (I know I've had at least a million!), there's always someone who knows the answer!! :waving:

SoapDoc
10-18-2005, 03:33 AM
Welcome, Totalele! Nice to have you here :) And LOVE your cable work, really, really lovely!!!

I am sure you wil love it more here with each day that passes, it's that way here and our hostess is the best!!! (or a better way to put it is our hostesses are the bestesest :roflhard: )

Totalele
10-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Guys, I'm already loving this place!!! Usually I just lurk into knitting forums because they sacre me, but I feel sooo welcomed here!! Thank you..for real! :heart: :heart: :heart:

ETA: Thank you for the nice words, guys! I can't wait to finish my scarf. They say my needles are shipping, so I should get *real* cable needles soon!!! :happydance:

cheetahcalledchloe
10-19-2005, 10:40 AM
Hi Alexandra!!! I'm new too and have only been here a few days!! I am from South Africa but now live in Oklahoma.

This is one of the friendliest places and these folks know everything about knitting!!! I love to cable too, I'm knitting scarfs for Christmas at the moment with eyelash yarn and a cable cardigan. It is finished on a circular needle which i'm not familiar with so i'll be back with questions when I get to that point!!!!!

Please stay safe from Wilma!!!!! Man, you Americans really have some WEATHER!!!! :shock: