PDA

View Full Version : I got a knit picks catalog... I think I'm in love.

humblestumble
10-17-2005, 04:59 PM
I just got a knit picks catalog in the mail... And I'd known about knitpicks, but I never took the time to look because I figured all online sources are expensive and thought that I shouldn't waste time looking. I looked today in the catalog and I just about fainted! :shock: the yarn is sooo beautiful and I found that I really like the WOTA. I'm just wondering the gauge of all of the yarn and about how much you can knit with each skein or hank. The prices seem reasonable, but then I dont think I've ever bought just a 50 gram skein or ball before. This sounds like hardly anything.

Opinions? What have you knit with Knitpicks? What gauge is the hank/skeins you bought? Suggestions?

Julie
10-17-2005, 05:51 PM
I've knit with WOTA, Merino Style, Andean Silk, Andean Treasure, Suri Dream, Decadence, Shine and Twirl. The only one I wasn't :inlove: about was Twirl...just not as soft as I had hoped. But I bought it to knit little lambs, so no biggie. :D My favorite was Decadence...I :heart: alpaca!

To get an idea of the gauge/how much yarn is required, look at the projects on their web site that are matched up with the yarns...also the newest catalog has a little chart by each pattern that hells you how many balls for what project...very handy. In general I've found their gauge/needle estimates pretty accurate, though th elast batch of Merino Style I got, there were some skeins that were much closer to worsted weight than DK, it seemed. :??

The color cards are great too...I have a KP gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket, and I'm definitely gonna pick up some more of those. Great for matching colors.

(And when you order, don't forget to go through a link here at KH, to help support the site! :D )

rebecca
10-17-2005, 06:59 PM
KnitPicks is the greatest thing since knitting!! I have huge plastic boxes of yarn under my bed full of almost exclusively KP yarns (1 just for sock yarn!)!! I have loved everything that I have used!! I'm almost an exclusive KP knitter....my 'treats' are SWTC's Karaoke & Phoenix yarns ;)
I've seriously never found anything wrong with knitpicks from service (GREAT) to products (WONDERFUL)!! Of course, I have been called the leader of the fan club :D

snephenie
10-17-2005, 07:02 PM
I LOVE the WOTA, in fact, I'm placing another order today. I am selling felted bags and am using ONLY WOTA colors.

sogrammatical
10-17-2005, 10:24 PM
I requested a catalog too, mostly because I love getting mail! Hahaha. Now I'm really excited to get it!

Carol_OH
10-17-2005, 10:29 PM
I LOVE the WOTA, in fact, I'm placing another order today. I am selling felted bags and am using ONLY WOTA colors.

where? :)

humblestumble
10-17-2005, 11:03 PM
I'm actually thinking of going the cheaper route now and trying kool aid dying - a technique that I am not familiar with. But one of these days when I do have more money, I will try out Knit Picks. I'm just pretty excited now that I actually remembered I have a knitting friend who knows more than I do! :)

feministmama
10-18-2005, 12:09 PM
I'm actually thinking of going the cheaper route now and trying kool aid dying - a technique that I am not familiar with. But one of these days when I do have more money, I will try out Knit Picks. I'm just pretty excited now that I actually remembered I have a knitting friend who knows more than I do! :)

Ya know when I'm really low on knitting funds, I go to my local Goodwill and get a $3 sweater and then pull it out, wash the yarn and volia, SEX. I have used Kool aid on recycled wool and its really fun. I highly recommend it. :thumbsup:

humblestumble
10-18-2005, 02:40 PM
trouble is, I live in South Texas, and I don't see a lot of sweaters at stores like that :( I may have to try looking harder this winter tho..

Mer
10-18-2005, 03:32 PM

You know, KnitPicks also has dye-your-own yarns in large quantities much cheaper than their already colored ones! ;)

humblestumble
10-18-2005, 06:04 PM
Yea, I saw that. I'll have to check and compare the stuff I can get in town and the stuff from Knit Picks :)

Debbie
10-19-2005, 06:58 PM
I just got my first ever knit picks catalog today. A week or so ago I got a TON of WOTA for felted hats ... and I was SO disappointed that there was not a catalog in the box! IT IS SOOOOO Cool!

Rebecca .... the FIRST thing I looked for was ...ta da .... your SOX! There they were .... you know .... I KNOW the designer of these sox... um, exclusively designed for knit picks by rebecca... you know... I DO "hear from her" , the designer .... published on internet and in catalog... almost every day !!!

Ingrid
10-19-2005, 07:03 PM
Rebecca! You have your own name-dropper! :D

rebecca
10-19-2005, 08:15 PM
:blush: Thanks :D It is rather exciting :blush: And extremely surreal! I am very, very blessed to have had such an opportunity :D
Each and every one of YOU designs something every time you knit ;)
Ya'll are so sweet :D

Clabbergirl
10-28-2005, 09:55 AM
I just got my first order from Knit Picks too, and while I love what I got, I was also disappointed that there was no catalog inside. I ordered a Knit Picks catalog three weeks ago, and figured since I was ordering I'd get one in the box at least. Does anyone know if they only ship their catalogs periodically? Or do you have to spend a certain amount? I ordered enought to get the free shipping.

brendajos
10-28-2005, 09:58 AM
nah i have never gotten a catalog in my orders. they do take a while to come out unfortunately.

Clabbergirl
10-28-2005, 10:21 AM
Well if KnitPicks is reading - we'd love to get a copy of your catalog in our orders!

jelly
10-28-2005, 12:30 PM
i got my first order from them yesterday (30 skeins of WOTA - god help me) and was shocked that there was no catalog in the box - i worked in the mail order industry for 9 years and that is one of the ground rules - always put a catalog or sale flyer in the package - a customer is SO MUCH more likely to place a 2nd order within a week of the first one if the catalog is right there (also, it is shocking how many people throw away catalogs before they get their first order, so that 2nd catalog might be the only one they have)

sorry for the ramble, but it just really surprised me

i bought about 4 different shades of the purple and pink colors and am going to make a Booga style Bag - i am going to double it, though, so it will be more like a tote size

sogrammatical
10-28-2005, 01:55 PM
I requested a catalog a few weeks ago and it hasn't gotten here yet.

I made myself promise not to order anything until I saw the catalog (and not just my color-unbalanced monitor), but I want new yarn NOW! *thows temper tantrum*

brendajos
10-28-2005, 02:00 PM
if you are worried about color, getting the color cards would be a good idea!

KellyK
10-28-2005, 02:17 PM
On the other hand, I am one who REALLY appreciates a company who does NOT over-catalog me. I HATE to see waste....there is almost nothing that gets under my fingernails like junk mail and unnecessary duplication. A catalog is not going to make me need yarn or buy products sooner or again....however, good product, good sense ands good customer service WILL. Tree-huggin hippie here!! :waving:

PS - I got some KP Elegance today.....LUCIOUS!! :inlove:

humblestumble
10-28-2005, 02:23 PM
Yea, I don't order catalogs... I just sign up for customer appreciation stuff like from Joanns and hancocks...the rest of the stuff just kinda shows up unexpectedly. Like the KnitPicks, I had heard of it, but otherwise probably wouldnt have had a second thought I have the catalog now and I stare at it a lot. My boyfriend gets the same catalogs because I made him sign up for stuff too. I'm not too happy about that, but what can I do?

Clabbergirl
10-28-2005, 02:30 PM
Maybe Knit Picks could put an option in checkout to opt for a catalog or not...and depending on their client tracking, they could cross reference and kill two birds with one stone, respectfully, by combining the catalog in new orders. It would save them some bulk mail postage.

I don't like junk catalogs either, but this was my first purchase from them and I really wanted to see what else they have to offer browsing from the comfort of my couch instead of hunched over my pc while waiting for page after page to load. Patience is not my virtue at all.

It will get here eventually. Meanwhile, I've got enough knitting (and yarn) to keep me busy. :thinking:

KellyK
10-28-2005, 02:45 PM
clabbergirl...if you would like mine, I would gladly send it to ya!

Clabbergirl
10-28-2005, 03:42 PM
Oh thanks, I can wait. It's no big deal, even if it sounds like I'm giving it a big-deal whine! Thanks though.

rebecca
10-28-2005, 04:41 PM
I think since they have increased catalogs to a monthly (YIPPEE) shipping that it would be quite an added expense to also send them with your orders. I know that it takes a while to get the 1st one, it's bc they are just growing by leaps and bounds, I'm sure. BUT, rest assured...you will be EVER SO HAPPY :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: when yours arrives ;).

sogrammatical
10-28-2005, 10:17 PM
The trouble with the color cards is that they're almost as much as the wool I want! Plus I'd have to pay for shipping.

I want to get some WOTA for a felting project, and I'm tempted to just get a few colors, decide which two go together best, and use the others to make a hat or something.

MaryS
10-31-2005, 12:02 PM
Several of us, (KK, Ingrid, and me for sure) have color cards for a lot of the yarn types.
If you want to tell me what you're considering matching with what, I can take a look to see if they'll go together. I know how hard it is to pick colors from a computer!

Happy Knitting :XX: :XX:

Mary

jodstr2
10-31-2005, 12:15 PM
idk where I read it or who I heard this from, or when I heard this, but FWIW:
I was told if, when placing a KP order, you request a catalog in the "special instructions" part of your order, the order will take a few extra days to process before shipping because any special requests have to be reviewed by a manager.

I've been "reading" (more like dreaming and drooling) the latest KP catalog. soooo many lovely things :heart: .
I ordered the second Yarn Harlot book last week from them.

sogrammatical
10-31-2005, 11:43 PM
How long to the catalogs usually take to come in? I requested mine two weeks ago and nothing.

As for colors, I was thinking either hyacinth or winter's night as the MC and either mist or coal as the CC. Which of these four combinations would be best?

KellyK
11-01-2005, 12:52 AM
I think ANY of those combos would look good! Coal is BLACK. Mist is charcoal gray. Winter Night is a Navy, and Hyacinth is a dark, inky purple.

Lacedolphin
11-03-2005, 08:16 AM
I signed up to get one a while ago and still no catalog for me. :crying:

How long does it take to get one from them??

rebecca
11-03-2005, 12:35 PM
It always takes a long time before you begin getting the catalog...don't know why. Maybe bc so many people have discovered them & they are growing so fast and beginning a monthly catalog. You will ENJOY when you get it...PROMISE :happydance: :happydance:

brendajos
11-03-2005, 01:52 PM
*sigh* i just got another one from them and i swear they are trying to kill me. i LOVE that green hat and mitten set in there (the one that is on their home page too)....i may have to work on that one cuz the current hat i am working on is boring me!

JLC
11-03-2005, 02:48 PM
I haven't gotten a new one in a couple months. I keep hoping to find one every time I check the mailbox, but all I seem to find is bills. :shock:

tigger0229
11-03-2005, 03:51 PM
I just ordered a catalog. can't wait to get!

rebecca
11-03-2005, 04:22 PM
The Nov catalog is out?!

brendajos
11-03-2005, 04:25 PM
i don't know, whatever catalog i got had those hats on the front cover. so whichever catalog that one is.

Ellen Edwards
11-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Gotta throw in my 2cents too!! I thought you always got catalogs when you ordered things...but not from KnitPicks!! I wonder if we could encourage them in a group-sorta way, would change their minds!! Maybe though, the reason they sell wool so inexpensively, is that they save by NOT sending out catalogs unless requested or something?? :thinking:

cheesiesmom
11-03-2005, 05:55 PM
Got my catalog yesterday. There are so many projects I want to do. There's a really cute shrug. And a poncho that I want to try.

I just got my last order that included a fingerless gloves pattern and a skein of sock yarn. I can hardly wait to start on those.

What else can you do with sock yarn??? I've never knitted socks, but I love the yarns they carry.

:thinking:

brendajos
11-03-2005, 05:57 PM
well that and they are still essentially an online store. the company i work for p/t doesn't have a paper catalog at all because they don't want to be "that" store yet.

we have one website that is set up to be the only actual catalog store we have, eventually. but the fact is that it more expense and they don't just eat it. the consumers always end up defraying those costs!

rebecca
11-03-2005, 06:13 PM
Ohhh, then the new catalog IS out....hmmmm; can't wait to get mine :cheering: :cheering:
I think that they just send catalogs out to those who request them rather than in with shipped items as a way to keep costs down, that's exactly right, Trudy! And we sure WANT them to keep costs down :thumbsup:

Phretys
11-05-2005, 07:23 PM
I received two catalogs recently, the Nov 2005 and the Holiday 2005.

Talk about a double dose of CRACK!!! :inlove:

cheesiesmom, I like using the stripey sock yarn for fingerless gloves, and the KnitPicks website even has free scarf patterns for the stripey Parade sock yarn.

~Debi~

sogrammatical
11-06-2005, 01:48 AM
Still no catalog. In fact, I haven't gotten mail in a week.

My mailbox! It is sooooooooooo empty!

humblestumble
11-06-2005, 02:16 AM
Aw, that's so sad! I hate not getting mail... We got no mail today. I even like getting spam...tho I chunk it right away lol.

KellyK
11-06-2005, 02:17 AM
I just got mine today...Im sure yours will be coming soon! :thumbsup:

brendajos
11-06-2005, 02:17 AM
okay i think i would have been calling the post office if i didn't get mail for two days in a row, much less a week! that would be freakin' me out!

sogrammatical
11-06-2005, 12:50 PM
okay i think i would have been calling the post office if i didn't get mail for two days in a row, much less a week! that would be freakin' me out!

I'm a student so I don't get mail unless someone actually sends me a postcard or a package or something (boy, a package would be exciting!), and my school it's trying be more earth friendly so I don't get many fliers in my mailbox anymore. It's not unexpected to go a week without mail, but it makes me so sad to walk all the way to the campus center and have NOTHING in my box.

Boy oh boy I hope I got a catalog!

brendajos
11-06-2005, 12:55 PM
aaah...well that makes sense then! then i prabably wouldn't freak out :D

jodstr2
11-06-2005, 01:52 PM
there's a November catalog and a Holiday catalog? hmm.

my book order from KP came yesterday. it took 12 days. I was getting ready to call on day 14.

sogrammatical
11-09-2005, 05:45 PM
I had given up hope, but my knitpicks catalog finally came in this afternoon! Along with a paycheck that I can now go blow on pretty yarn! Haha.

They all look so pretty!

RachelJean
11-11-2005, 03:37 PM
I love Knitpicks, too. I got some wool of the Andes for a hat I want to make. I haven't started it yet, but I'm anxious to get going - the yarn feels really soft. I placed two additional orders with them in the past week for more yarn, a couple of the color cards, some needles, etc. etc. I keep seeing more things I want. I just love the checks and charms hat/mittens and the fair isle vest. Too bad I have to work for a living. I need more time to knit :lol:

rebecca
11-11-2005, 03:47 PM
I want, need, must hat, GOTTA HAVE....the new EZ dvds...soooo for my bday this dvd (http://www.knitpicks.com/books/books_display.aspx?itemid=80250)is my definitely my final decision (I'm pretty sure ;) )

feministmama
11-12-2005, 05:25 PM
I want, need, must hat, GOTTA HAVE....the new EZ dvds...soooo for my bday this dvd (http://www.knitpicks.com/books/books_display.aspx?itemid=80250)is my definitely my final decision (I'm pretty sure ;) )

OH why did you have to point this out!! Now I want it WWWWWWAAAAAAAA :doh:

feministmama
11-12-2005, 05:27 PM
Heres my latest haul from KP

rebecca
11-12-2005, 05:56 PM
Nice haul! Loving the sock yarn...I believe I have it ;) ! Of course...I LOVE IT ALL :thumbsup:

jodstr2
11-13-2005, 01:59 PM
Femmy I love that sock yarn :inlove:! congrats on the haul :thumbsup: !

hrm, still haven't gotten a catalog. I think the last one I got had some sort of purple yarn or purple graphics on the cover, and it arrived like a month ago. I don't have it anymore because CV cleaned a bit on Friday and THREW IT AWAY :evil: :wall:.

Emeraldcutie
11-17-2005, 03:22 PM
My KP yarn arrived for socks.
Iam about ready to die :)
I was impressed, I had it delivered to canada, it took 4 days and they take care of the border, duty etc for bringing it in.

Here's what I got.

tigger0229
11-17-2005, 03:34 PM
feministmama and emerald cutie, WOWOWOW, love the yarn haul!!!!!!
I'm still waiting my order, but maybe it will come today...... :cheering:

KellyK
11-17-2005, 08:31 PM
I tell ya...nuthing makes me happier than a package full of yarn!! :cheering:

humblestumble
11-17-2005, 09:14 PM
That's all sooo pretty! :shock:

jodstr2
12-02-2005, 11:51 AM
so I called on Nov 14 requesting the latest catalog (the holiday one? whatever was the latest as of Nov 14). she told me, "oh, yeah, you'll get one, you're on our list since you're a customer, you're on the west coast so you'll be one of the last to get it."

I'm calling again today.

humblestumble
12-02-2005, 02:20 PM
eek :?? They better send it soon!

jodstr2
12-21-2005, 09:21 PM
they said they were all out of the catalog. but I got it on Saturday Dec 17 - I think this is the latest - the one with the bright juicy lime green hat and mittens on the cover?

rebecca
12-21-2005, 10:05 PM
Yeah, the holiday catalog...I love that set on the front :D