PDA

View Full Version : Knitty surprises

Ingrid
10-17-2005, 07:31 PM
Knitty surprises are up--and they're spectacular. :roflhard: (You'll get it when you see one of them!)

BinkyKat
10-17-2005, 07:45 PM
:roflhard:
Kewl! I aim to make a pair for my mom, just 'cuz she needs a little extra assistance... and made with glittery yarn would be right up her alley!
I saw a similar patter for a chenille boob from Crystal Palace.

AidanM
10-17-2005, 07:46 PM
OH MY GOD!
I was JUST WISHING that the pattern for Tit Bits was up on the web!!! :inlove:

KellyK
10-17-2005, 07:53 PM
I am HORRIFIED by her story, though!! :shock: Her HUSBAND didnt want her to go to a party because she was UNBALANCED?!?!?! I thought that part was VERY sad.....

AidanM
10-17-2005, 08:04 PM
I am HORRIFIED by her story, though!! :shock: Her HUSBAND didnt want her to go to a party because she was UNBALANCED?!?!?! I thought that part was VERY sad.....
He meant like she's nutters, dear. See how it says "Unbalanced" and then she says something like "In a good way" ? And then he says just because she is unbalanced, doesn't mean she has to look it? See how it's like a play on words?

Carol_OH
10-17-2005, 08:14 PM
umm what?

is confused! :thinking:

AidanM
10-17-2005, 08:17 PM
There's a pattern for prosthetic breasts.

humblestumble
10-17-2005, 11:36 PM
http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/PATTbits.html

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/PATTpumpkins.html

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/PATTyorick.html

I really want to make those pumpkins. I have some orange wool that is just screaming pumpkin. :sunny:

foldedbird
10-17-2005, 11:44 PM
Thanks for letting us know. The knitted boobs are a RIOT...I'm very tempted to KIP one...imagine the looks on peoples faces when I tell them what Im making! :roflhard:

Julie
10-17-2005, 11:52 PM
That Yorick has KOME written all over it... ;)

KellyK
10-18-2005, 12:01 AM
He meant like she's nutters, dear. See how it says "Unbalanced" and then she says something like "In a good way" ? And then he says just because she is unbalanced, doesn't mean she has to look it? See how it's like a play on words?
I think that's just insensitive. Im sure he meant it as a joke, but if I was already feeling selfconscious about something like that, it wouldnt have felt very funny. Im not easily offended, either, but that did it for me.

mintdee
10-18-2005, 12:07 AM
Kelly I thought the same thing but people react differently to different comments. Maybe she is just comfortable with the way that her husband sees her that his comment did not bother her. I am sure that if someone else were say that it would hurt her.

You are so sweet! :heart: YA!

humblestumble
10-18-2005, 12:10 AM
I wasnt bothered by it, but who knows what their relationship is like...if it's anything like what I have with my boyfriend, I wouldn't be bothered at all.

I really need some brown wool now... dangit. and a picture so I know what to carve on my real pumpkin :)

foldedbird
10-18-2005, 12:11 AM
I wasn't so pleased with it either...and the T word she used over and over. Boobs is one thing...but sheesh! KK, come in the chat room!

KellyK
10-18-2005, 12:11 AM
Oh, I know....I mean, SHE told the story! But, the first thing that popped into my head was "AND THAT WAS OKAY WITH YOU?!?!?!" I would've had to smack him. :shifty:

mintdee
10-18-2005, 12:13 AM
:roflhard: Oh rest assured I would have slapped my hubby had he said something like that as well. Men :rollseyes: :roflhard:

AidanM
10-18-2005, 12:19 AM
:roflhard: Oh rest assured I would have slapped my hubby had he said something like that as well. Men :rollseyes: :roflhard:
Generalizations. :rollseyes: :P

mintdee
10-18-2005, 12:23 AM
hmmm.... k... Men who aren't on this web site.

:angelgrin: :roflhard:

AidanM
10-18-2005, 12:31 AM
:rofling: Better, but there's still room for improvement. ;)

KellyK
10-18-2005, 07:28 AM
OH! ABSOLUTELY! That's a GIVEN! The Men on THIS website are all SUPER-EVOLVED, sensitive and PERFECT in every way!! :mrgreen:

Ingrid
10-18-2005, 08:10 AM
I wasn't so pleased with it either...and the T word she used over and over. Boobs is one thing...but sheesh! KK, come in the chat room!

Maybe by using the T word, it diminishes the importance of the body part in question.

hedgehog
10-18-2005, 09:49 AM
Wow... i love that Yorick pattern!!!! I MUST make it!! It will appease my little ex-gothy heart and add to my professorial eccentricities (which all profs need!) Fabulous!

I love the pumpkins too... very cute...

I was thinking about making the boobs and the womb (in the archives) for my BIL's practice. He's an OB/GYN - might be funny in the front office (and hopefully not offensive... maybe just the womb).

But i agree with you, Kelly - a.) the men here are super-evolved and near perfect :thumbsup: and b.) the story behind the bresticles was a bit disturbing. If she was "unbalanced" due to missing one hand or arm, would he have told her not to go???? :rollseyes:

-hh

Julie
10-18-2005, 10:01 AM
FWIW, I didn't get the impression that he told her not to go, she just said he "nixed the idea" of her going looking "unbalanced." I didn't even give it a second thought when I read it initially...I guess I just unconciously reasoned that he did so lovingly, or she probably wouldn't be sharing it with the world. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/j-m-h/shrug.gif

And as for the T-word...LOL, maybe it's a cultural thing? You just never know what's gonna offend, or what seems totally normal in some areas/cirles. Heck, my MIL is totally offended by the word "pee." :roflhard:

foldedbird
10-18-2005, 10:02 AM
Pee? LOL! :roflhard: :rofling:

KellyK
10-18-2005, 10:45 AM
Julie...you are the QUEEN of Diplomacy and the Benefit of the Doubt. :notworthy:

(What word does your MIL prefer instead???)

Julie
10-18-2005, 10:50 AM
Heelllooo...try potty training without the use of the word "pee." I think her preferred term for the girls is "wet on the potty." Bu tall in all pretty confusing 'cause everyone else on the planet (except Mr. Rogers, who says "urinate") says PEE ;)

feministmama
10-18-2005, 11:25 AM
The "unbalanced" disturbed me too. So women with only one boob are not balanced eh? Balanced for whom? Hm? Are boobs there for the pleasure of someone else's gaze or are they for hmm I don't know, BABIES???? Whatever. What I was really freaked out about was this:

A Cautionary Note: If you have made a truly original tit bit, and want to show it to others, please do so in the privacy of your own home. I have a friend who used to take her out in public all the time. "See my tittie? See? See?" Then she met a cop at her LYS who informed her that what she was doing was technically considered "flashing" and therefore against the law.

What is WRONG with people!!! Why are boobs so threatening to peole!?!?!?!

Well at least the pumpkins were cute. :rollseyes:

KellyK
10-18-2005, 11:57 AM
(I was wondering when Femmy was gonna see that......) :shifty:

feministmama
10-18-2005, 12:30 PM
(I was wondering when Femmy was gonna see that......) :shifty:

When ever you need a feminist in the house you know I'll be there. I'm a professional feminist ya know. :happydance:

knitncook
10-18-2005, 07:38 PM
I think that's just insensitive. Im sure he meant it as a joke, but if I was already feeling selfconscious about something like that, it wouldnt have felt very funny. Im not easily offended, either, but that did it for me.

Kelly, from reading her story, it sounds like she is very healthy in her approach to losing her breast. I have several friends that have lost breasts due to cancer and they have taken their losses with a great serving of humor. I sent them the link to ask them what color they wanted their breasts and they were all :roflhard: about the whole thing. They love her humor. I'm sure in the designer's relationship with her dh that they have a sort of banter that is not offensive to her. Otherwise I doubt she would have written about it so jovially.

humblestumble
10-19-2005, 02:45 AM
omg...how can tht be "flashing"...i dont get it. lol. It's not a REAL breasticle. :rollseyes: Afterall, I saw a tattoo show where women tattooed their chests as a work of art after losing their breasts...they should it on television - no blur!

misstialouise
10-19-2005, 03:07 AM
breasticle

OMG HS!!

I have not heard this word since highschool...

LOL Everything was "icle"ised then!!

thanks for giving me a giggle :D

foldedbird
10-19-2005, 12:19 PM
On a side note, why is it they can show mens bottoms in FULL view on television, but they can't show all of a woman's breast when they demo a self-breast exam on a talk show???
And the langauge you hear on TV now...most of the words I can't even say on this forum, but they cant show a breast. Ridiculous!!!!