PDA

View Full Version : Crochet vs. Knitting

aprildavis99
10-18-2005, 09:02 PM
I have finally decided that I love knitting more that crocheting. :heart: I have been crocheting for 10 years and was thoroughly satisfied. I have been knitting for less than 6 months and just now started my 1st crochet project since. I am just not diggin' it like before. :zzz: Plus my yarn tastes have gotten more expensive. :blush: I never minded the plain old Red Heart worsted but now I am having visions of wool and alpaca! :balloons: But we won't explain this last part to DH. :shifty:

I have a few WIP's that I have been hired to make, but after that I am probably going to stick to just knitting...unless I need one of those last-minute-super-quick gifts where crochet will suffice. :thumbsup:

:XX: April

AidanM
10-18-2005, 09:21 PM
I don't see it as a Versus thing. Both are good for different things, and you can do many of the same things in both with different results. I actually like knitting theory better than actual knitting. :lol: I'll stick to my hooks, thanks.

- Aidan, Dedicated Hooker. :rofling:

Ingrid
10-18-2005, 10:29 PM
Aidan--I think you just like telling people you're a hooker! :roflhard:

humblestumble
10-18-2005, 11:10 PM
I like both styles, but I do prefer knitting over crochet most of the time, especially because I have signs of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. However, if I want to make my own pattern as I go, I prefer crocheting.

Knitting uses less yarn for the same project as crochet, which is another plus :)

knitncook
10-18-2005, 11:35 PM
I *can* crochet. My grandmother taught me and she did all the fancy fillet and lacey stuff. I just don't enjoy it. I don't like the way the yarn feels in my hands and the motions are more irritating to my arthritis. I an knit for hours without any problems but crocheting hurts my wrists. I love the movement of the needles with knitting and like the way it is supported by the needles. But I'm a fiber snob and like the feel of really soft yarns. Most cheap acrylic stuff makes my fingers just cringe. My grandmother (because of her eyesight and arthritis) has gone form making beautiful shawls, tableclothes and bedspreads to making really cheap ugly (she has no sense of color) acrylic afghans. That may be my prejudice is that I associate crocheting with cheap yarn. :thinking:

AidanM
10-19-2005, 12:14 AM
Aidan--I think you just like telling people you're a hooker! :roflhard:
:roflhard: With all the lewd jokes I've seen on here, you'd THINK that my little hooker pun would go unnoticed! :rofling:

aprildavis99
10-19-2005, 01:36 AM
Yeah right. "Unnoticed"..not here, honey.
:roflhard:
I will probably always be a hooker, but now I am a picker also (conti knitter) :rofling:

And I too have become a yarn snob. My fingers are just freaking out with arcylic yarn on this afghan I am doing. Off to play with my Booga Bag wool. :happydance:

KellyK
10-19-2005, 07:41 AM
I will probably always be a hooker, but now I am a picker also (conti knitter) :rofling:
Does that make you a "Picky Hooker"?? :roflhard:

Our residents have formed a crochet group....they call themselves the HAPPY HOOKERS. When I worked with them on a felting projects, they started making jokes about LOOSE HOOKERS! We actually received a couple calls from their children after THAT one! :roflhard:

Sara
10-19-2005, 08:25 AM
I taught myself to crochet years before I learned to knit. I find that knitting suits me better. I think that crocheting is a good skill for a knitter to have, it opens up more trim options.

The thing about crochet that's is superior to knitting is that it is SO much easier to rip out your mistakes since you only have one working loop at a time. If only fixing your knitting was so simple! :rollseyes:

dustinac
10-19-2005, 08:37 AM
:roflhard: Kelly what are you doing to them loose hookers :roflhard:

I tried I really did to learn I can sc but my afghan is still a scarf.. on my daughters pull over it said to dc the ediging so on the phone with my mom I got through it... I prefer to knit but my grandmother who use to knit all the time beautiful sweaters doesn't knit anymore hasn't since the late 60s she sticks with Crochet... although now she says its cause she can't figure out how to CO I tried to show her but she got anxious on me and gave up mom said she won't even let her show how.. I think its cause she use to knit alot and did such wonderful work that its frustrating to her... :thinking:

aprildavis99
10-20-2005, 04:20 AM
Does that make you a "Picky Hooker"?? :roflhard:

Our residents have formed a crochet group....they call themselves the HAPPY HOOKERS. When I worked with them on a felting projects, they started making jokes about LOOSE HOOKERS! We actually received a couple calls from their children after THAT one! :roflhard:

I AM a Picky Knitter...in all possible meanings...except one. I have never ever picked my nose with a needle or hook. Ok, that's not entirely true. I did once, but by accident. I was trying to figure out DPN's and was holding the darn things way to close and OUCH! It is soooo worse than missing the straw on your soda. :roflhard:

Joel
10-20-2005, 01:02 PM
I am so going to have to show this thread to my wife... (she's a dedicated hooker).

Aidan,
There in no way you were going to sneak a hooker comment past this group.

KK, way to be a picky hooker spotter!!

:roflhard: