PDA

View Full Version : Silly question, but important

humblestumble
10-19-2005, 05:36 PM
Does wool itch? I want to knit Rogue eventually and it says to use wool because the cables stick out nicely, but I dont want to wear something that wont be comfortable.

Virtuella
10-19-2005, 05:39 PM
I guess some people find wool itchy.. I dont. I love wool on my skin. My daughter love it too, but my son hates it.
I knitted my Rogue of wool, with mohair in it, and it is not itchy at all.

humblestumble
10-19-2005, 05:43 PM
hmm, I guess I should just buy some wool yarn and knit a swatch and see...

what yarn did you get?

rebecca
10-19-2005, 05:55 PM
I would say it depends entirely upon the wool...some is more processed than others; or processed in different ways. I've gotten 100% wool in the past (and it was quite expensive and reputable name) that was VERY ITCHY and not well processed, I'm afraid that I still found many pieces of the hay or something that was in the sheep's fur :shock:
I use KnitPicks' wool all of the time and don't find it itchy. Actually, I've not found anything itchy from them.
Now...something that is very, very yummy is SouthWest Trading Company's Karaoke yarn...it's 50% wool/50% soy silk...heavenly!! I order mine from the girls @ KnitPixie (http://www.knitpixie.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=35_38_144) They are very, very sweet, bend over backward to accomodate a cusomer AND you get 10% off if u sign up for the newsletter!

InterNette
10-19-2005, 05:57 PM
I love wool dont get the itchy thing at all but my best friend says i love you annette and i would love something that you make but i HATE itchy wool.

Julie
10-19-2005, 06:00 PM
I agree -- some people are jus tsensitive to it. My sister can't wear any wool at all -- it drives her insane. If you're going to buy from Knitpicks, the Merino Style is softer than WOTA. I think in general Merino tends to be softer...though there are exceptions to every rule.

humblestumble
10-19-2005, 06:12 PM
I was thinking about maybe getting Paton's merino wool..The skein isn't too expensive, and you get have the amount of yardage as lion brand's fisherman's wool. But you get more than some other online retailers...If I had a job I think I'd be more into buying stuff from an online retailer tho :) :shock: The colors are sooo pretty. I just don't think I could spend over 100 dollars for the entire Rogue. ... I'm thinking hopefully less than 50 bucks.

This may I can try it out before I dedicate myself to wool though. I can make a cuff or something to see if I like it against my skin.

humblestumble
10-19-2005, 06:25 PM
Oh crap! WOTA... I just looked at the yardage and everything again...that's the cheapest thing yet that I can get! That's only about 25 dollars (without shipping) for Rogue!

oooh. there's even silk/merino/alpaca blends for 3.29 a skein! I wonder how good that would be for rogue?

rebecca
10-19-2005, 08:18 PM
YUMMY, if it's the correct wt yarn!! Sounds divine ;)

Sara
10-19-2005, 10:10 PM
And remember, if you order $30 or more from Knitpicks, shipping is free!

rebecca
10-19-2005, 10:46 PM
AND they have a great selection of accessories and books, too ;)

humblestumble
10-19-2005, 10:49 PM
It's the correct weight :) I just can't wait til my birthday rolls around! I think this will be my present for myself from the money that I may get. :happydance:

I thought about the 30 dollar shipping thing too, and that's marvelous! I'll have to browse through the accessories :)

kemp
10-20-2005, 09:31 AM
I know you already have tons of responses here, but I would say it definitely depends on the wool. Whenever I am sensitive to any of it, it tends to be around my neck line. If you do a swatch, might want to try tucking it under your bra strap and letting it sit against your neck for a while.

knitncook
10-20-2005, 12:24 PM
As others have said it depends on the wool. Personally I like wook with just a touch of something else in it. Either natural like silk or synthetic like nylon (which can make for some really soft wool). It's all in the variety of the animal that it comes from, the process it goes through and the age of the animal. Some wool is just tough because it comes from a thick rough coated animal.

humblestumble
10-20-2005, 01:04 PM
That's a really good idea Kemp! I was sitting here thinking of just rubbing it against my face all day, really! I'd look really coocoo! :shock:

I have spun up some fiber before...and one of them was a natural brown with little pieces of hay still in it, and the other was this pretty maroonish red with streaks of purple in it (I usually don't like purple). The natural one was REALLY tough and seemed like it would be itchy, and the other was really soft to handle. I'll have to ask my friend if it was a mix or what.

Knitncook, I was thinking of going with a blend too. Maybe with some silk in it, but that may be way expensive. And I don't know how the fabric will hang because of all the cables.

Ingrid
10-20-2005, 01:09 PM
If you're worried about itching, and price is a consideration, and you don't have your heart set on natural fibers, give Plymouth Encore a shot. Its a wool/acrylic blend that I have used for lots of things--especially for kids because of the washability/itchy factor. Works out great!

humblestumble
10-20-2005, 01:15 PM
where's that sold at? :thinking:

Ingrid
10-20-2005, 01:32 PM
There's a lot of it on-line, frequently on sale. My LYS's have it, but I find that it's less expensive on the computer. It's a very popular yarn, and if you Google it you can price shop. Herrschner's (http://herrschners.com/products/product.aspx?perpage=All&sku=717611&id=3558) carries it. www.discountyarnsale.com sells it by the bag a bit cheaper.

humblestumble
10-20-2005, 01:53 PM
thanks for the tip :)