PDA

View Full Version : Pink KAL

foldedbird
10-20-2005, 02:41 AM
The YaYas will be all casting on & knitting a pink chemo cap on October 22nd at the Race For the Cure in Jacksonville, Florida. Please join us.

Requirements for this KAL:
1. Think about Breast Cancer. Raise Awarness. Remind your family members to self-check, see a doctor, and GET A MAMMOGRAM. It's the law for your HMO to pay for one mammogram per year. Friday, Oct. 21 is National Mammography Day.

2. Number one is the only requirement.

Post some pictures of your progress, give your cap to a treatment center in your area or send it to headhuggers.org. Sue is a very friendly lady, and will get your cap to people who need it.

Divine Secrets of the Yarn Yarn progress pics from Saturday will be posted here, and cross posted in our blog.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-24-2005, 09:59 PM
PINK! is my new obsession!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

koolbreeze
10-24-2005, 10:11 PM
mine too!

foldedbird
10-25-2005, 01:31 AM
Hey Hildie! Mine too! Most days my house looks like a pepto bismal color scheme or something. Koolbreeze, I'm glad that you can join us in this pink parade.

Speaking of pink, Saturday was our race day. I worked on a cap with pink Debbie Bliss cashmerino yarn, and Melanie sort of worked on a pink cap too. Her husband Nate sported a pink ribbon bandanna. I will have pictures up here very soon, probably tommorow!

What are YOU knitting that's pink?

koolbreeze
10-25-2005, 10:25 AM
hat, i think

Julie
10-27-2005, 11:26 PM
I'll be starting a chemo cap on Saturday if I can find the right yarn! Cashmerino is a good choice, no? Very soft, and machine washable?

I'm excited because I offered to do this for someone, and she actually accepted. Not that knitting for a stranger is less valuable or anything...it's just neat to be able to reach out to a specific person, let them choose the pattern, etc. I feel really honored to be doing it. :D

KellyK
10-27-2005, 11:53 PM
Cashmerino is a Rowan yarn, yes? The LYS we're going to doesnt carry Rowan, but there are some REALLY soft Berrocco yarns there....

Julie
10-28-2005, 01:01 AM
It's Debbie Bliss... *crosses fingers*

KellyK
10-28-2005, 07:31 AM
I dont THINK they have it, but there is another LYS within 5 minutes' drive from where we'll be, and they do carry DB....you can make up an excuse & sneak away :hiding: to buy it if you dont find anything comparable at Chix With Stix...

foldedbird
10-28-2005, 07:45 AM
Julie, what a coinky-dink! That is the same yarn that I'm using! You SO HAVE TO GET IT NOW!!! It's fate! This is a SIGN that you are meant to have this yarn!

Knitting the caps has seriously been a life-changing experience for me, and I'm glad that it's already been a good thing for you, too!

KK, no idea on the Rowan stuff. The stuff I have is chunky, 3sts/inch. Hope that helps!

Julie
11-01-2005, 06:08 PM
I finished my chemo cap today -- after frogging almost the whole thing on Sunday. :rollseyes: I was so irritated -- I did swatch, and followed the pattern exactly, but when I was getting ready to start the decreases, I looked at it and went "oh NO." It was freaking GINORMOUS. (KK, think it was the yarn??) So I had to rip it out and start with 20 fewer stitches, which worked out great. :D

I'll post a pic on my blog when I'm feeling a little better -- so sick, still. :crying:

foldedbird
11-01-2005, 09:18 PM
Julie, I can't wait to see your cap, so get better soon.

Julie
11-02-2005, 01:10 PM
I'm still not better :rollseyes: but here is my hat! :D

foldedbird
11-02-2005, 06:42 PM
It's very lovely, Julie...but uh, are you colorblind? :roflhard: :rofling: That is the purplest pink yarn I have EVER seen. Not that it matters, it's a chemo cap!

Did you use the cashmerino?

Julie
11-02-2005, 07:10 PM
Oh goodness, I swear, in real life it is SO pink. TOO pink, even...depends on the lighting tho! :D

foldedbird
11-02-2005, 07:42 PM
Welll then I take back what I said! Blame it on my ancient monitor! Pink or purple, I still LOVE it.