PDA

View Full Version : OT: How to crochet?

daydreamer
10-20-2005, 03:44 PM
I know that this has nothing to do with knitting, but how can I learn how to crochet? I've been trying to learn how off of the internet, but they've all been really confusing. Hints and helps, please?

rebecca
10-20-2005, 04:34 PM
The only thing that I know how to do with a crochet hook is to pick up dropped sts and do a provisional cast on...LOL!!
I have started to learn, then I start thinking..."I could just be knitting instead" Sorry :blush: , I am of no help!

AidanM
10-20-2005, 06:51 PM
Well, first of all you might like to check out www.Crochetville.org for a forum on crochet. I'm a member there as well, and it's a wonderful place.

Secondly, check http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/tutorials.php for various tutorials about crochet. I found that some of these tutorials are better than others, you may find that one that works for you.

If none of THOSE suit you, try http://stitchguide.com/stitches/crochet/index.html for videos of crochet stitches. None of them have audio, but they are pretty good and clear though maybe a little fast. Try watching them a few times if you don't catch everything the first time.

Good luck!

sogrammatical
10-20-2005, 06:53 PM
Do you knit English or Continental? If you knit Continental, then you'll hold your yarn in exactly the same way. Half of the trouble I found with learning to crochet was figuring out how to hold the blasted yarn.

I don't know of any good sites for crochetting though. If you'd like, I can try to figure out my webcam and take some pictures for you.

kemp
10-21-2005, 10:39 AM
Also try www.crochetcabana.com

daydreamer
10-31-2005, 12:44 AM
Um, is crocheting supposed to look exactly like knitting? I'm right in the middle of crocheting a piece, and it LOOKS EXACTLY like I've knit it. :??

AidanM
10-31-2005, 12:47 AM
Tunisian crochet can mimic knitting outwardly, but the back doesn't look like knitting.

At first, I couldn't discern the difference between crochet and knit but now I can spot the two fairly easily.

feministmama
10-31-2005, 12:48 PM
I think crochet and knit look different. Knitting has little v's like this:

vvvv
vvvv
vvvv

crochet is more bumpy and twisty lookin

~~~~
UUUU
~~~~
UUUU

I will say this though, learning crochet helped to learn how to do continental. SO if youever want to learn conti, then learn how to crochet first :thumbsup:

feministmama
10-31-2005, 12:51 PM
See look at these pictures:

Norman
10-31-2005, 04:02 PM
I never really learned how to Crochet..

However, my wife knows, so if I ever need something done, she does it for me..

She's SOOO nice to me .. :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: