PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal? Purling...

humblestumble
10-21-2005, 01:39 AM
Is it normal for purling to make your left hand's thumb muscle ache? I'm doing a row of 50 stitches and man I feel it afterwards. It cramps up.

foldedbird
10-21-2005, 04:35 AM
This doesn't happen to me at all. Without knowing whether you throw or pick, it's tough to figure out what's going on. My first guess is that you might be holding the needle too tightly in your left hand, but can you tell us what your thumb is doing as you purl?

KellyK
10-21-2005, 08:34 AM
My hands used to cramp like that, but dont anymore, since Ive built up my knitting muscles! My hands are RIPPED, BRO! :mad: <--- "flexing face"

amy
10-21-2005, 11:18 AM
My hands are RIPPED, BRO! :mad: <--- "flexing face"

:roflhard: OMG, Kelly, that comment had me seriously rolling. LOL

I find my hands are much more stressed out when I purl with large needles than with small (I'm purling Continental). I recently did a project on size 17 needles, and I really felt it in my hands!! Knitting was fine, it was the purling that really did me in.

humblestumble
10-21-2005, 11:39 AM
Sorry, I meant to say that I am a Continental knitter. I haven't purled in a LONG long time, and I just started to agian, so my muscle in my thumb starts to tell me I'm using it after about the 45th stitch. I'm using size 8 bamboo needles. And I've only been knitting for a year. So for about half that year I haven't bee purling.

And using bigger needles I definitely feel it! ... I think I need some of those hand flex balls so I can show off like Kelly! :rofling:

foldedbird
10-21-2005, 01:33 PM
KK...you're crackin up! :shock: Are you off your meds again?

Our dearest humble, I suspect then your thumb will get used to the purl work out. Take a break every couple sts and do a hand wiggle. You'll be fine!

Don't let this stop you from purling...purling is wonderful. Think of all the things purling makes possible:
ribbing
seed st
moss st
cables
bobble st...and more!
:XX:

KellyK
10-21-2005, 02:52 PM
KK...you're crackin up! :shock: Are you off your meds again?

:oo: :hiding: :shifty:

foldedbird
10-21-2005, 03:01 PM
Thought so!

humblestumble
10-21-2005, 03:32 PM
Oh yes, I'm definitely not stopping the purling! I LOVE the moss stitch and I someday wish to knit Kyoto from Knitty.com...and then I am in love with cables too (I'm going to start practicing those after my next four projects)....I spy Rogue from girlfromauntie.com on the horizon :) :happydance:

I really think I may just need a hand workout hehe. I just wanted to know if it was common or if I had exceptionally weak hands :shock:

Lol! I think Kelly's off her rocker for sure! :roflhard:

foldedbird
10-21-2005, 03:42 PM
: Lol! I think Kelly's off her rocker for sure! :roflhard:

No doubt about it!

Totalele
10-21-2005, 04:43 PM
See? That's what the neck is for! Making purling a breeeezzzeee.... ;)

humblestumble
10-21-2005, 05:34 PM
I'd need to see how that works, Totalee. Cause If I'd be holding the yarn and the needles the same way, I don't see how it would work. I am very open minded to try new things though :)

Totalele
10-21-2005, 06:08 PM
:eyebrow:

Actually, I'll try to take some pics to show you guys my crazy method... :lol: :lol:

BinkyKat
10-21-2005, 06:56 PM
i get more achy when i purl with big needles.... ooo, i'm like Amy, i'm like Amy!!!
so KK, you got six packs on those phalanges? ;) :roflhard:

KellyK
10-21-2005, 07:04 PM
Beefcake!
:mad: BEEFCAAAAAKE!!! :mad:

mintdee
10-21-2005, 07:18 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: Mom! I WANT MAH CHEESY POOFS!

hehehe KK you is too funny